Songran Pattaya

deejah

I was annoyed when I went out to Soi Buakow this evening and found that not only was my favourite (cheap Thai) restaurant closed, but my second and third most favourite restaurants were closed also. And the noodle soup street vendors were few and very far between. I had a lot of trouble finding something decent to eat and what I did find wasnt brilliant.

No water anywhere at all though. Not yet.

This pales into insignificance when compared with being blasted in the face whilst driving a motorbike, of course, and you have my total sympathy.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well today fine and clear

i think tomorrow starts

we shall see

had a brillant idea

as i need to leave town

midday tomorrow

if taking a baht bus

i will try to find one that will let me sit INSIDE

i have never tried that

but it just might save me

now getting to the BB

well thats a diff story

have a great holiday folks

be it wet dry or in between :blink:

You guys are stating to sound to sound like you been here to long. The rest of us will be sure to bring you some cheese & cracker for that whine. :whistling:

I don't think a baht bus such a good idea. No way out of the endless water unless you exit the truck- besides you can walk 50 times quicker even if you 85.

Wear quick drying board shorts & not linen that takes forever to dry. Jeans would suck!

Put your cell-Ipod,camera or any gear you don't want drenched in plastic.7 years here & still like the fun of Songran. I wouldn't do to much driving on a bike or scooter. The water blasts can make you wreck if your not careful.Lots of hotties out for a week.I will be there this weekend. I miss Pattaya since I moved out to Bang Saray so it is worth the minor commute.

It started a little in Naan Nooch. The kids are having fun!

Just watched 3 young "white" guys walking down Beach Road with their guns - hitting everyone on baht buses. Lots of abuse thrown at them but no violence as yet!!! F***ing yobs!

Just noticed people heading south on Beach road are wet and have powdered faces - so its on some where north of Central Road as well.

Edited by aussiechick

The water throwing is pretty bearable, but when you are thrown chunks of ice whilst trying to ride a motorcycle is pretty dangerous i say !!

Looking forward to the 20th, after 10 years of getting soaked, with white powder stuck inside my ears, eyes and nose, i think i might stay dry this year and stay home.

You guys are stating to sound to sound like you been here to long. The rest of us will be sure to bring you some cheese & cracker for that whine.

"The rest of us?" Judging from other posts here it seems most people don't really mind one day of water fun. The problem is it's a full week+ of mayhem.

I don't see anyone whining about it either. We're just discussing the situation so that we can help those who want to avoid it.

You guys are stating to sound to sound like you been here to long. The rest of us will be sure to bring you some cheese & cracker for that whine.

"The rest of us?" Judging from other posts here it seems most people don't really mind one day of water fun. The problem is it's a full week+ of mayhem.

I don't see anyone whining about it either. We're just discussing the situation so that we can help those who want to avoid it.

Sorry Phil I mixed it with the last not again water on Songran post I read lately.

Yes, this is a useful thread where we can keep up with where it's happening.... so we've established that the tourist areas have well and truly started. I'm interested in finding out how it's going on away from there, in particular 3rd road and areas around Foodland and Carrefour. I'd appreciate any reports from that zone.

Not much was happening near the top of Central Road down to 2nd Road. But from 2nd road to beach it is on at the bars on the left hand side and from the minute you turn left onto Beach Road!! A few pickups traveling around with the water and guns in the back.

It's not the water that bothers me, I just don't get out of the car where that's going on. But a few years ago it took me three hours to get down Suk Hwy from north Pattaya to the Asia Hotel. That is ridiculous. Most towns it's only a couple of days. Here it's a whole freakin' week!

It time to stay away from central parts of Beach/2nd road if you want to avoid getting wet. We are going in the car from now :rolleyes: . I haven't check Soi Buakhao but properly bad.

I agree with others, why can't the water playing just take place over 2 days. For me 2 days is ok but then its not funny anymore.

Yesterday I went on a visa run to Ban Leaw and was hit with a bucket of water whilst I was riding my bike at 110kph! Three young kids were running out onto a busy main road to catch people. As they waited for me they were standing in the road with their backs to oncoming traffic just by a nice bend in the road! What could possibly go wrong??????

I stayed in Chanthaburi last night and it was full on Songkran. The streets and roads were packed. They were still on the roads chucking water at 2am.

This morning I was hit several times from Chanthaburi to Rayong. Funny enough came through Pattaya Klang at 3pm then drove to Jontiem and did not see one water thrower.

Seen today at 6 pm on Sukhumvith in front of the traffic lights with Pattaya Klang driving South.There is a new shop something to do with latex.A security wanke_r oops guard standing outside with 3 buckets and a 200 liter water barrel supply targeting motorbikes on sukhumvith which get thrown a full 10 liter bucket in their face.

I was waiting in my car in front of the traffic light at the far right side of the road when I noticed his practices,otherwise I wouldn't have hesitated to drive over him.

By the way it is amazing how little traffic there is in town.Must be that everybody loves the Pattaya songkran :whistling:

Seen today at 6 pm on Sukhumvith in front of the traffic lights with Pattaya Klang driving South.There is a new shop something to do with latex.A security wanke_r oops guard standing outside with 3 buckets and a 200 liter water barrel supply targeting motorbikes on sukhumvith which get thrown a full 10 liter bucket in their face.

I was waiting in my car in front of the traffic light at the far right side of the road when I noticed his practices,otherwise I wouldn't have hesitated to drive over him.

By the way it is amazing how little traffic there is in town.Must be that everybody loves the Pattaya songkran :whistling:

That's the reason why Songkran lasts so long in Pattaya - because of the huge number or motorcycles here. Throwing water on passing cars is hardly exciting and there aren't too many pedestrians on Sukhumvit Road.

That's the reason why Songkran lasts so long in Pattaya - because of the huge number or motorcycles here. Throwing water on passing cars is hardly exciting and there aren't too many pedestrians on Sukhumvit Road.

You probably realise that the average speed of a bike on Sukhumvit is a multiple of that from a bike on second road.Throwing a full bucket of water at such a motorbike equals in my opinion with attempted manslaughter

Have to agree, idiots throwing water over motor cyclists is a no brainer, the only way you would you would find me within a hundred miles of Pattaya during Songkran is if I had one of those Airport Fire Engines with a snorkel on top, and I really would like to take out some of those ***** who throw water over motor cyclists and people who are not willing participants.

You probably realise that the average speed of a bike on Sukhumvit is a multiple of that from a bike on second road.Throwing a full bucket of water at such a motorbike equals in my opinion with attempted manslaughter

As a motorcyclist myself I hate Songkran but to call it "attempted manslaughter" is way over the top. We all know that buckets of water are coming at us everywhere we go so that is that is factored into our riding skills. I've had many buckets of water thrown at me but never even come close to losing control.

As a motorcyclist myself I hate Songkran but to call it "attempted manslaughter" is way over the top. We all know that buckets of water are coming at us everywhere we go so that is that is factored into our riding skills. I've had many buckets of water thrown at me but never even come close to losing control.

No, but it only takes one time to lose control and then your history. Furthermore what about the idiots that stand in the road as your riding towards them

so that you have to slow right down for them to make sure they don't miss. Don't they realise that you can lock up and slide over on the wet and slippery surface or

actually run them over! These people are on a death wish!

I just don't get all the posts about "idiots" throwing water--when that's the entire point of the festival! Yes, better to stay at home and join your facebook sites rather than participate in a Thai festival with bitterness and resentment.

I have actually never seen Pattaya so happy and vibrant than during Songkran. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and warm, and especially the Thais who are usually not that interested in farangs (other than, of course, the bar-girls). I had endless discussions with regular Thais who otherwise only consider me from a distance, if that.

I just don't get all the posts about "idiots" throwing water--when that's the entire point of the festival! Yes, better to stay at home and join your facebook sites rather than participate in a Thai festival with bitterness and resentment.

If you've ever experienced a Songkran in Pattaya, it would be obvious exactly what is meant by "idiots throwing water". There are non-idiots throwing water too, but it's the idiots who spoil the show. Which are you?

I get no pleasure from throwing water or having it thrown at me. I was about 10 years old when I finished with water pistols. If that makes me a grump, then I'm a grump. Even if Songkran went on for only 1 day I'd stay at home.

I had that many years ago on the 12th - so one day before it should start. Just overtook a truck on a rural road near Map Ta Put going about 80 kmph. Some wanke_r on an oncoming pick-up threw a full bucket over me. That I am still alive (just in front of the truck when it happened...) I credit to wearing a full face helmet and an absolutely straight road.

I had that many years ago on the 12th - so one day before it should start. Just overtook a truck on a rural road near Map Ta Put going about 80 kmph. Some wanke_r on an oncoming pick-up threw a full bucket over me. That I am still alive (just in front of the truck when it happened...) I credit to wearing a full face helmet and an absolutely straight road.

Happened to me years ago, I was riding about 120KPH past Cha Am heading south when a truck came the other way at speed too and I got a full big bucket of water, luckily I was wearing a full face helmet and stayed on, problem is I never saw it coming, never expected it, it was a truck not a pick up, high wooden sides, couldn't see a group of people like you can when they are in pick ups.

Very dangerous. In Pattaya I expect it though, plus I ain't gonna be travelling at 120!

Edited by GM1955

Quote: Very dangerous. In Pattaya I expect it though, plus I ain't gonna be travelling at 120!

Come Saturday you will be lucky to be able to go 40 kilos per hour or 5 kilos on central ave.

Any water this morning?

Coming in with the girlfriends family for a drenchin in the new truck. I already learned not to drive a motorbike & walk 8 years ago. It is nice living on the outskirts of town & having the option of going into the war zone , instead of planning trips to immigration & the stores!

I have actually never seen Pattaya so happy and vibrant than during Songkran. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and warm, and especially the Thais who are usually not that interested in farangs (other than, of course, the bar-girls). I had endless discussions with regular Thais who otherwise only consider me from a distance, if that.

They might have been drunk? What endless discussions. What topic?

Happy Songkhran, the holiday is too long, it effects my biz....

Cya