Liquid Nitrogen

Sel

I used to work for the US sister company of T.I.G. (both are subsidiaries of the BOC Group, UK) - and I used to sell bulk LIN.

When you talk about a "vat", what you really mean is you need a "vacuum dewar" (technical term for what - at small level - is a thermos bottle). This is what makes it tough to handle a small quantity transaction. LIN will continuously "flash" into gaseous phase. This RAPIDLY builds up a lot of pressure, so you need a dewar with a pressure relief port. 10 liters will flash off pretty quickly - if placed into a warm, open bucket, it will last only a few minutes.

A ten-liter dewar is going to cost a lot - as in thousands of dollars.

If you are dealing with ice cream, you are better off using "dry ice" - frozen CO2. Much less expensive to work with.

Using either of the above, beware of asphyxiation - as either product "flashes" to gaseous state, the chilled gas accumulates on the floor - or flows down stairwellls, displacing oxygen. In a closed room, 10 liters of LIN flashing will probably kill you - it slowly lowers the oxygen concentration in the room, you get groggy, and basically fall asleep. The liquid continues to flash, and you slowly die from lack of oxygen. It is tragically very easy for someone to die around these products, if they are not familiar with the hazard.

Or - contact AHT, and check out their U-Pac cold packs - see http://www.ahtasia.com/start/product/pro.asp?catid=4&subid=2 I've been out and looked at this product - which is a sealed, phase-change material that melts at somethoing like -25C (I forget the actual melting point). Very safe. They supply these cold pack inserts to almost every mobile ice cream cart in Thailand. But - you also need one of their super-freezers, to refreeze the reusable U-Pac cold pack.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Pacific Supercool Ltd.

www.thermoelectricsupplier.com

www.thaisupercool.com

I used to work for the US sister company of T.I.G. (both are subsidiaries of the BOC Group, UK) - and I used to sell bulk LIN.

When you talk about a "vat", what you really mean is you need a "vacuum dewar" (technical term for what - at small level - is a thermos bottle).  This is what makes it tough to handle a small quantity transaction.  LIN will continuously "flash" into gaseous phase.  This RAPIDLY builds up a lot of pressure, so you need a dewar with a pressure relief port.  10 liters will flash off pretty quickly - if placed into a warm, open bucket, it will last only a few minutes.

A ten-liter dewar is going to cost a lot - as in thousands of dollars.

If you are dealing with ice cream, you are better off using "dry ice" - frozen CO2.  Much less expensive to work with.

Using either of the above, beware of asphyxiation - as either product "flashes" to gaseous state, the chilled gas accumulates on the floor - or flows down stairwellls, displacing oxygen.  In a closed room, 10 liters of LIN flashing will probably kill you - it slowly lowers the oxygen concentration in the room, you get groggy, and basically fall asleep.  The liquid continues to flash, and you slowly die from lack of oxygen.   It is tragically very easy for someone to die around these products, if they are not familiar with the hazard.

Or - contact AHT, and check out their U-Pac cold packs - see http://www.ahtasia.com/start/product/pro.asp?catid=4&subid=2    I've been out and looked at this product - which is a sealed, phase-change material that melts at somethoing like -25C (I forget the actual melting point).  Very safe.  They supply these cold pack inserts to almost every mobile ice cream cart in Thailand.  But - you also need one of their super-freezers, to refreeze the reusable U-Pac cold pack.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Pacific Supercool Ltd.

www.thermoelectricsupplier.com

www.thaisupercool.com

I googled 'liquid nitrogen cost' and found a site that said that in the continental US liquid nitrogen in dewars was US$2 per gallon(and only US$0.50 delivered in bulk)...that works out to less than US$1 per litre. I know that this is Thailand so it will cost more but I have a hard time believing that the price would go to over US$100 per litre as your post suggests. Also liquid nitrogen is used on stage for putting in the fog machinces that make all that fog you see for those big musical extravaganzas...I have a hard time believing that they spend thousands of US dollars for the liquid nitrogen for those productions. What's up?

Edited by chownah

The LIN itself is dirt cheap. But if you put in in a bucket, you get the "fog machine" effect - it doesn't stay around long. I am assuming that the poster wanted to use the chilling effect for some time. (24 hours? 48 hours?).

You can put small amounts in a regular thermos bottle - or two, or three. But - when was the last time you saw a 10 liter thermos bottle?

Trust me - if you take 10 liters of LIN, put it in a bucket, and go lock yourself in a 24 square meter room with that bucket, you are most likely going to die. It is innocuous - because normal air is 78% N2 - but it quickly reduces the enclosed space from 20% O2, down to something too low to keep you alive. Open the door - or the window - and you will be fine.

LIN is -196C - which is a totally unneccesary level of coldness for most ice cream applications. AHT is a big supplier of their phase-chage cold packs to the total ice cream distribution industry in Thailand - their product is tailored to be an almost ideal solution.

Cheers!

Steve

The LIN itself is dirt cheap.  But if you put in in a bucket, you get the "fog machine" effect - it doesn't stay around long.  I am assuming that the poster wanted to use the chilling effect for some time. (24 hours?  48 hours?).

You can put small amounts in a regular thermos bottle - or two, or three.  But - when was the last time you saw a 10 liter thermos bottle?

Trust me - if you take 10 liters of LIN, put it in a bucket, and go lock yourself in a 24 square meter room with that bucket, you are most likely going to die.  It is innocuous - because normal air is 78% N2 - but it quickly reduces the enclosed space from 20% O2, down to something too low to keep you alive.  Open the door - or the window - and you will be fine.

LIN is -196C - which is a totally unneccesary level of coldness for most ice cream applications.  AHT is a big supplier of their phase-chage cold packs to the total ice cream distribution industry in Thailand - their product is tailored to be an almost ideal solution.

Cheers!

Steve

Oh, sorry, my mistake. You were saying that the DEWAR would cost thousands of dollars....I thought that you meant the CONTENTS would cost thousands. Seems like buying five thermos bottles each holding two litres would do the job quite well and for less than US$100. Do you think that a company that sells liquid nitrogen might also rent out the dewar? Welding gases can be purchased with leased tanks and I've heard that the same companies that sell welding gases also sell liquid nitrogen so it seems natural that they'd be set up for tracking leases of containers for their products. I do agree that liquid nitrogen for making ice cream is probably not commercially feasible.

Edited by chownah