Tractor Questions

Canada

Need a tractor......I have 80 rai. 50 has young rubber which we are going to plow as it was never taken care of and I did not intend to farm rubber. The other 30 has been plowed already, but we will need to do it again.

how big of a tractor will I need so that it will easily do the job, but not overkill?

If I found a reliable trustworthy driver, I may consider hiring it out, but I do know Thais and this is not really "workable". But....say I wanted to hire it out...... what hp range am I looking at to easily cover most jobs

Thank you

Sorry, I know this is probably in the forum already but after a half an hour, I can't find it

If you decide to buy a tractor with 30hp or more, let me know. My wifes family has around 100 rai that need plowing 2 times and they can pay 220 baht an hour. I am considering buying a tractor too, but maybe we can work something out if you buy one. One of my wifes relatives is a good guy around 25 years old and might be available to drive a tractor for 40 baht an hour if you need someone.

Pull those rubber trees and sell them, labor to remove them is cheap or find someone and make them a deal for removing them. Should be easy to find someone to barter a deal to remove and plow the ground for the trees. Reliable and trustworthy ? Good luck. I would think long and hard before buying a tractor as paying by the rai for tractor work is also dirt cheap.

Hire a proper tractor to have it done in a couple of days.

Most common tractor in the country is the 85hp Ford 6610, which is adequate for the job.

I hire a Ford 6610 with a highly skilled operator for B600 per hour.

There is no way that I could operate a tractor that cheaply even if I owned it and ran it every day.

I don't know how he buys the fuel for that.

Note the recent thread

Kubota Tractor 3408 Operating costs

I believe the conclusions drawn are correct.

Then read the other recent thread

Farmers Sob Stories

no further elaboration necessary.

Somewhere in recent thread history is a member who asked about tractor hire rates,

which resulted in a round of solid counsel.

There are Foreigners who do well at operating farm equipment, but they manage every movement of the machine closely. They leave nothing to chance or possible neglect.

Have you considered farming row crops between the rubber trees?

Rubber seems awfully valuable to take out.

Just out of curiosity, what is it you want to farm next?

Sugar

The rubber is only a year old, never been looked after, varying heights and sizes and lots of spaces....figured it was just better to start over with what we bought the land for....sugar

• 1 month later...

Simple:: Purchase price of tractor divided by cost per hour to plough. How many hours ploughing to recoup cost of tractor?. + cost of operator + cost of maintenance and Repairs. I doubt it makes economic sense to buy your own tractor. UNLESS it is a hobby for you. In which case , please invite me to come play. I love driving tractors!!Bill (Waiting for the invite 555555)