Pirates Free Thai Ship For US$5 Million

webfact

I know this wouldn't rescue the hostages, but I have never understood how we can sit by and let a hijacked ship sit in some port. I mean, these ships are not small, and the Somali coast is not that big.

More than 3,000 Km long (around 2,000 miles)

Not that big ?

LaoPo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this wouldn't rescue the hostages, but I have never understood how we can sit by and let a hijacked ship sit in some port. I mean, these ships are not small, and the Somali coast is not that big.

Not that big ?

LaoPo

No, not that big. All of the victim nations have more than enough assets to cover that entire coastline with surveillance, land based, sea based, air based, and space based. And not all of that coastline is suitable for keeping a ship. Harbors are much more limited in scope.

Edited by luckizuchinni

Not that big ?

LaoPo

No, not that big. All of the victim nations have more than enough assets to cover that entire coastline with surveillance, land based, sea based, air based, and space based. And not all of that coastline is suitable for keeping a ship. Harbors are much more limited in scope.

Scroll down to page 2 in the PDF link below; there is a chart with all locations where pirates seized vessels.

Maybe you will than understand how huge the area is that has to be patrolled by all navies.

And, if you think the hijacked vessels are in some Somali ports, better study the website of EU NAVFOR again...and the geography of Somalia as well.

There are only very small harbours on the eastern Somalia coast and the hijacked vessels are either anchored way off shore or moving all the time.

They don't bring the hijacked vessels to the northern coast of Somalia; it's too dangerous for the pirates because of tight control by the Western/Asian navies and too close to Djibouti which is on the entrance of the Red Sea.

http://www.eunavfor....14.04.2011..pdf

If you look at the map below, the whole Indian continent is literally "drowning" in this huge area and

post-13995-0-51014800-1302870647_thumb.j

But, if you disagree, why not contact the EU NAVFOR, US, India, Japanese or Chinese navy and offer your help and tell them what they should do ? :rolleyes:

LaoPo