Making A Sonkran Video

msg362

OK, so the day before the official start to Sonkran, I go down to Tapae Gate with an expensive video camera, covered in a raincoat and stat shooting. Lots of action, a group of Thais and farangs throw water over passing cars, motorcycles etc. Happily filming when an american with a loud voice starts asking 'why are you filming?' Now unlike still photography, I'm recording his loud voice when I really don't ant to, so i ignore him. 'Thai TV?, your own ? a documentary??' and so on. Finally he goes away. About 10 minutes later he reappears, again with a voice to overlay the sound of squeals of fun- 'Tell me really why are you filming? you've been filming young children now for 30 minutes, that's wierd.' - 'Please go away I don't want your voice on my sound track' I say so he squirts me with his water gun.

I hope he reads this and understands what a pr**k he is! Did he think I was a paedophile?

On another note, the Thais were very good when they saw I was carrying an expensive video camera, unlike some farangs who seem to think it is fun to drench a videographer!

Oh well more footage tomorrow and yet more wierd experiences!

If you REALLY want to make a Songkran video, you should head out to the villages and avoid centralizded locations. Just my opinion. Songkran is a spiritual event, you're not gonna get that shot by just filming farangs shooting water pistols at each other.

Well let's see/hear the footage of the annoying American.

BTW, today people may have let you by without a proper soaking. Tomorrow is full on Songkran. You're not getting by without many many buckets of freezing cold moat water thrown all over you. Be careful with the camera!!!

my friend last year made himself a plastic casing with a glass front for the lens to sit on worked perfectly .

and for the voice thing you can always edit it put some music over it there are plenty more days to get some good footage you should just go with the flow of song kran.

I was also filming with a small video device in a waterproof bag. I was holding it in an elevated fashion, so that when I got sprayed with water, it would still stay relatively dry. Annoying **Europeans** kept going out of their way to NOT spray me, but instead spray directly at the video camera in my hand.

-Mestizo

If you REALLY want to make a Songkran video, you should head out to the villages and avoid centralizded locations. Just my opinion. Songkran is a spiritual event, you're not gonna get that shot by just filming farangs shooting water pistols at each other.

Well it used to be a spiritual event. Like so many other ceremonies its been hijacked, and most participants would have no idea,or care ,about it origins. Nothing very spiritual about a bucket of water thrown in your face, especially the moat variety or having a high powered water pistol pointed at your face.But if it's what you want, and enjoy ,go for it.

Thanks folks for your comments,

I agree, the villages are where a quieter and more authentic sonkran takes place, but i can film both then show the contrast?

I've got a really good 'rain coat' for the camera which protects it from all but the craziest idiots.

I've uploaded VERY rough cuts of some of the clips.

http://youtu.be/903ihPb9Nac

I did not have footage of the American as the camera was pointing at the crowd opposite, I just got his voice

Happy Sonkran everybody! Three more days to go!

Edited by msg362

I was also filming with a small video device in a waterproof bag. I was holding it in an elevated fashion, so that when I got sprayed with water, it would still stay relatively dry. Annoying **Europeans** kept going out of their way to NOT spray me, but instead spray directly at the video camera in my hand.

-Mestizo

Its like the picture of a small fly painted on to some toilets in bars, the men will always aim for the fly and it keeps the floors/seat clean. If someone has a camera it will get aimed for. Go out and buy a waterproof camera and problem solved.

-Mestizo

Its like the picture of a small fly painted on to some toilets in bars, the men will always aim for the fly and it keeps the floors/seat clean. If someone has a camera it will get aimed for. Go out and buy a waterproof camera and problem solved.

You can't get a high level waterproof video camera (unless you work for the BBC/CNN/ Nat Geo or you are VERY rich!!)

Yep, pretty clever those Europeans. I hope they knackered it. B)

But why do you need a high level waterproof camera unless you work for the BBC/CNN/Nat Geo? The one I use cost me less than 5000thb and it made a decent video for personal use and to show friends back home yesterday and Im sure it will again today.

Yep, pretty clever those Europeans. I hope they knackered it. B)

:D:D:D

MSG... just keep on filming. With all those people out there, you are bound to run into a few jerks. Captain Alcohol doesn't help matters either. We are normally surrounded by very happy smiling people but a few years ago we got followed by a drunk that was mad we would not drink with him. We get off the streets earlier these days to avoid that. It promises to be a very fun day today, although a bit on the cool side this morning.

-Mestizo

Good to know it was not English people and only the Europeans :D

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 1

But why do you need a high level waterproof camera unless you work for the BBC/CNN/Nat Geo? The one I use cost me less than 5000thb and it made a decent video for personal use and to show friends back home yesterday and Im sure it will again today.

I'm glad you are happy. So am I. I don't need a waterproof camera, ,my point was that they are very expensive.I've got a specifically designed 'raincoat for it. If you don't know why I use a high level camera, I really can't explain. It's similar to photographers using high end DSLRs to get the shots they want, rather than a point and shoot which most people are happy with.

Edited by msg362

You can find cheapo waterproof cameras. I almost bought this one:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004FLL5AY/

$159 and takes HD video.

However I decided against it; that's $159 AND time wasted filming that I could be boozing and playing. ;)

Looks like a good toy one, and I'm sure it will produce something for fun, but there is HD and then there is HD! ( and then there is sound)

But for Songkran would be good for a lot of people I think

Interesting. I just saw a guy leaving the wearing the same Songkran attire and watergun, as yesterday. Yesterday was no problem, but today he thinks it necessary to dawn a poncho.

Moat water splashed all over you - ok

Raining - need a poncho?

Edited by CMSteve

Interesting. I just saw a guy leaving the wearing the same Songkran attire and watergun, as yesterday. Yesterday was no problem, but today he thinks it necessary to dawn a poncho.

Raining - need a poncho?

The rain jacket is for the camera! It wore it yesterday and will again today!

Sorry msg362, this wasn't directed at you. You def need the cover for you camera.

I'm just wandering about the thought process of this particular Songkraner... putting on a poncho over the same clothes he was playing in yesterday and strapping a watergun over his neck.

Raining - need a poncho?

Sorry msg362, this wasn't directed at you. You def need the cover for you camera.

I'm just wandering about the thought process of this particular Songkraner... putting on a poncho over the same clothes he was playing in yesterday and strapping a watergun over his neck.

Raining - need a poncho?

No problem, I agree, the moat water is to be avoided, rain water not a problem

Have a great time