Foreign Ministry And The Army Undermine Thailand's Credibility

webfact

GUEST COLUMN

Foreign Ministry and the army undermine Thailand's credibility

By Pavin Chachavalpongpun

Imagine this as a Thai soap opera.

Two sisters living under the same roof are engaged in a vociferous catfight. They have fallen in love with the same man. And they are now trying every possible trick to undermine their sibling rival and take sole possession of him. The neighbours laugh and call their behaviour pathetic.

Moving to reality, although the Thai Foreign Ministry and the military have not yet started to scratch, slap and pull each other's hair, a "cold war" has been declared as the two state agencies fiercely compete to dominate foreign policy, particularly toward Cambodia in the ongoing territorial dispute. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was forced on Sunday to tell an unconvincing story of the unity between the military and the Foreign Ministry in response to Cambodia's strong criticism of the ever-confusing Thai approaches.

Earlier, Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said that he could never be optimistic about Thailand and that it was very difficult to deal with the Thai state agencies. His statement was made at the end of the Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) in Bogor, Indonesia, held from April 7-8. Indonesia has offered to play a mediating role in the Thai-Cambodian conflict, and its role as such has been approved by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), of which Indonesia is the current chair.

Both Thailand and Cambodia, during the informal Asean Foreign Ministers' Meeting on February 22, accepted the Indonesian offer and agreed on the dispatch of observers from Indonesia to stations in the disputed areas. This was intended to be part of the establishment of a long-term confidence-building measure.

While the Thai media depicted the recent JBC meeting as a success, the Indonesian press was more realistic. The Jakarta Post wrote a more accurate headline, "Shaky Start to Thailand, Cambodia Border Talks", in its April 8 edition. It reported that the "shaky start" was caused by the two different approaches endorsed by the Thai Foreign Ministry and the Thai military.

On March 10, the Foreign Ministry wrote to The Nation, [in response to a previous column here] saying: "the implementation of Thailand's foreign policy has always been the product of close consultations and coordination among all concerned agencies. With regard to border-related issues with our neighbouring countries, this naturally involves the military and other national security agencies. There may be differences of views but ultimately the final say lies with the government, which is accountable to the people and responsible for safeguarding overall national interest. There is thus no "collision" in terms of policies".

As it turns out, the military has continued to sidestep the Foreign Ministry's effort in Asean to reduce tension along the Thai-Cambodian border. Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha recently told Thai reporters that Indonesian observers were not wanted because they would only complicate matters. Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban voiced support for Prayuth's opinion that no third party should be involved in the General Border Committee (GBC), a mechanism led by the defence ministers of Thailand and Cambodia.

The military's domination of foreign policy is not a new phenomenon. During the Cold War when Thailand confronted the "communist threat", the military moved to occupy the front seat in the country's foreign affairs. Concerns over national security took centre stage in the formulation of foreign policy; this greatly legitimised the role of the military in the conduct of diplomacy.

When Prime Minister Chaitichai Choonhavan (1988-1991) wanted to turn battlefields in Indochina into marketplaces for Thai businesses, the military quickly rebuffed his idea and soon overthrew him in a coup. The Army viewed the marketplace policy as a threat to its eminent role in foreign affairs.

Since the coup of 2006, which ousted the elected government of Thaksin Shinawatra, the military has returned to the political forefront and once again plays an overriding part in the security and foreign policy domain. During this period, armed clashes between Thai and Cambodia troops on the border has served to justify the military's renewed authority in the foreign policy-making process.

A source inside the Foreign Ministry claimed that Thai diplomats were not consulted when the military decided to use cluster bombs in breach of an international agreement during the border clashes with Cambodian troops in February. The Cluster Munition Coalition (CMC) earlier claimed that the Thai ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, Sihasak Phuangketkeow, said that Thailand used cluster munitions in "self-defence", based on the principles of necessity, proportionality and in compliance with the military code of conduct.

Of course, Sihasak later denied that he said this, and the Foreign Ministry accused the CMC of misinterpreting his statement. Meanwhile, the Thai Army came out to clarify its position, admitting that it used "dual-purpose improved conventional munitions" (DPICM) which, in its own definition, are not classified as a cluster munition. However, the CMC has confirmed that DPICMs are indeed regarded as cluster munitions.

Several questions have remained unanswered: among them, whether Sihasak made the above statement or not, and how should "cluster munition" be defined? A more pertinent question is to what extent the lack of coordination between the military and the Foreign Ministry will further weaken the country's position as Thailand deals with Cambodia.

So far, there is no sign of any attempt on the part of the two agencies to compromise their different approaches. Competition, rather than compromise, has come to define the awkward relationship between the military and the Foreign Ministry.

Pavin Chachavalpongpun, a former diplomat, is a visiting lecturer at the Department of Political Science, the National University of Singapore.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-13

Army should stay OUT of politics. Foreign policy is the domain of politicians not soldiers. If any soldier disagrees with current foreign policy he/she should resign not make a coup.

Army should stay OUT of politics. Foreign policy is the domain of politicians not soldiers. If any soldier disagrees with current foreign policy he/she should resign not make a coup.

The Army IS the politics here . . . always has been, nothing is done without their consent or approval in some way, shape or form.

without enemies on its borders how can the Thai generals justify their inflated incomes and expensive toys?

One wonders exactly who the navy's three new subs might be directed against - bird's nest thieves?

R

quote(. Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha recently told Thai reporters that Indonesian observers were not wanted because they would only complicate matters.) unquote

I have read statements similar to this from the army in many newspaper articles. The more I read this stuff the more I feel they are veiled threats. Am I just reading to much into what is said?

The military does dot start wars, politicians do. Chamberland did a bolicks of a job negotiating with Hitler. The League of Nations sat and did nothing, now mank soldiers have died because of politicans. The government systen in Thailand was established when the Navy overthrough the monarcky. The problem in sothern Thailand was casused by politicians, now the politicians want the military to do the job they failed at.

You are right! And Thailand should not have such bad traffic. And it shouldn't be so hot. And immigration should give out free lollipops when we report for our 90 days. And...

The military does dot start wars, politicians do. Chamberland did a bolicks of a job negotiating with Hitler. The League of Nations sat and did nothing, now mank soldiers have died because of politicans. The government systen in Thailand was established when the Navy overthrough the monarcky. The problem in sothern Thailand was casused by politicians, now the politicians want the military to do the job they failed at.

The military does dot start wars, politicians do.

You are assuming complete civilian control of the military. Thailand has never had that. Chamberlain? Where did that come from?

The government systen in Thailand was established when the Navy overthrough the monarcky.

I don't blame someone if they don't know much about Thai history, but if you don't you might want to reserve comment on it. (The monarchy wasn't overthrown, absolute monarchy was abolished. The bloodless coup was led by a group of civilians and military but there wasn't a single Navy officer among them.)

The only objection Thaksin has to the army is that it is not under his control and working for his interests. Everything else is prattle. If he was able to return and seize state power you would hear no more about the nasty army. Once his plaything all would be sweetness and light.

The only objection Thaksin has to the army is that it is not under his control and working for his interests. Everything else is prattle. If he was able to return and seize state power you would hear no more about the nasty army. Once his plaything all would be sweetness and light.

I don't disagree.Thaksin was as embroiled in the army's stranglehold as any other politician.

However you are left with the problem of how to deal with the army, more particularly the top brass - embroiled in reactionary politics, contemptuous of and disobedient to civilian leadership wholesale human rights abuses in the South and elsewhere focusing on business and media interests corrupt, incompetent, over generalled, linked with the drugs and sex industries, a thorough disgrace to Thailand.

...the top brass - embroiled in reactionary politics, contemptuous of and disobedient to civilian leadership wholesale human rights abuses in the South and elsewhere focusing on business and media interests corrupt, incompetent, over generalled, linked with the drugs and sex industries, a thorough disgrace to Thailand.

Hey, easy does it! How much of that is really true? Oh, wait...all of it.

I don't disagree.Thaksin was as embroiled in the army's stranglehold as any other politician.

Didn't notice the spin on that...yeah, poor guy. 'Embroiled in the stranglehold'. Not like he was 100% willing to go along with it as long as it suited his interests or anything like that...

I like this more:

Didn't notice the spin on that...yeah, poor guy. 'Embroiled in the stranglehold'. Not like he was 100% willing to go along with it as long as it suited his interests or anything like that...

I like this more:

Sorry I probably didn't express myself well enough.I wasn't trying to suggest Thaksin was a victim!

I like your amended version and I think it's accurate as well

I like this more:

Sorry I probably didn't express myself well enough.I wasn't trying to suggest Thaksin was a victim!

I like your amended version and I think it's accurate as well

Ah, fair enough then. (But of course the bottom paragraph isn't mine but Yoshiwara's.)

However you are left with the problem of how to deal with the army, more particularly the top brass - embroiled in reactionary politics, contemptuous of and disobedient to civilian leadership wholesale human rights abuses in the South and elsewhere focusing on business and media interests corrupt, incompetent, over generalled, linked with the drugs and sex industries, a thorough disgrace to Thailand.

When you can't trust the civilian leadership, isn't it good that there is someone else that doesn't trust them.

Of course, it isn't so good that you don't trust the ones that don't trust the ones that you don't trust, either.

You are right! And Thailand should not have such bad traffic. And it shouldn't be so hot. And immigration should give out free lollipops when we report for our 90 days. And...

I did my 90-day reporting at Chamchuri Sq. yesterday and can confirm lollipops are still not given out. Mind you, very quiet and all smiles yesterday; I was gone in five minutes :)

Military in any "democracy" should not be tolerated in any way to interfere with foreign policy or be involved with government in any way. They call Thailand a democracy but is it really. Everyone knows the military controls this country as can be seen every time they don't like who's elected. Time for a coup. Amazing type of democracy.

Military in any "democracy" should not be tolerated in any way to interfere with foreign policy or be involved with government in any way. They call Thailand a democracy but is it really. Everyone knows the military controls this country as can be seen every time they don't like who's elected. Time for a coup. Amazing type of democracy.

It's not any type of democracy.....

It's not any type of democracy.....

The only part of Democracy that Thailand, particularly the Red faction, understands is 'Demo'.

The Army IS the politics here . . . always has been, nothing is done without their consent or approval in some way, shape or form.

Excellent point and a prism through which we should see all the goings-on in Thai politics.