Why Are There No @*&$#*! Convertibles In Thailand?

ThePyawkt

I need help! I am looking for an affordable convertible that seats AT LEAST 4 people. In the US, we had zillions, the Chrystler Sebring/LeBaron, Chevrolet Cavalier, Toyota Cellica, etc. - all very affordable and semi-practical for a small family. For the life of me, I cannot find any such type of car here, in Thailand - that is affordable! The only one I can find is either a BMW 3series or a Mercedes - both WAAAAY too expensive. The slightly cheaper ones are only 2-seaters (Honda S2000, Maz. Miata, etc.).

I miss having a convertible so much! I would think that with Thailand being so beautiful, that everyone would be driving a convertible!

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge I do not? I just moved here and am not familiar with every car/manufacturer that is here, but I have checked the websites of all the manufacturers I see and can think of, and cannot find anything affordable. Also, if they are not making this type currently, does anyone know of one was made in recent history that I could look for used?

Thanks folks! Please give me any ideas!

~Rob

Convertibles are all imported and taxes are based on assumed values here not what was paid for them. So they're super expensive.

Also I think it's just too hot here for a rag top, especially if you sit in Bangkok traffic, however I wouldn't say no to a Merc SL500 with the new fold down hard top.

I doubt they'll ever catch on, even sunroofs are a bit of a rarity.

Why would you want a convertible in Thailand? :o

The only time you would take the top off is at night... :D

I miss having a convertible so much! I would think that with Thailand being so beautiful, that everyone would be driving a convertible!

I have a sedan with a sunroof... and it is hardly ever opened.

If it's not too sunny and hot, it's pissing down with rain, so why bother?

:D

I also wondered in the beginning, but now it makes perfect sense to me...even upcountry it would be an unpleasant experience getting the black smoke plumes of the truck you just can't overtake direktly in the passenger compartment...not to mention being stuck in a convertible in Bangkok traffic...that would be helll on earth....

Buy a pickup, put cushions in the back, hire a chauffeur.....total class!!!

and alot cheaper than buying an import luxury car...both for initial expense, upkeep, and operating expenses even if you hired a full time chauffeur!!!!!

Buy a motorcycle. All Thai motorcycles seat AT LEAST 4 people comfortably :o

Much cheaper than even a pickup.

Buy a pickup, put cushions in the back, hire a chauffeur.....total class!!!

and alot cheaper than buying an import luxury car...both for initial expense, upkeep, and operating expenses even if you hired a full time chauffeur!!!!!

Buy a motorcycle. All Thai motorcycles seat AT LEAST 4 people comfortably :o

Much cheaper than even a pickup.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Convertibles don't make sence in Bangkok as below explains :-

1.The main source of foul air is vehicle emissions, especially those that are poorly maintained or run on diesel fuel. Road transport accounts for 75% of the pollution in Beijing, 86% in Kuala Lumpur and 95% in Taipei. The number of private vehicles in Southeast Asia is increasing on average by more than 10% a year. In Bangkok, about 500 new cars take to the road each day; that's an annual increase of 14%, the region's highest. The number of motorcycles, cars and buses has doubled in less than a decade in Taipei.

2.This study aimed to investigate the effects of PM10 concentrations exceeding the Thai national standard (24-hr average, >120 microg/m3) on daily reported respiratory symptoms and peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR) of schoolchildren with and without asthma in Bangkok. The 93 asthmatic and 40 nonasthmatic schoolchildren were randomly recruited from a school located in a highly congested traffic area. Daily respiratory symptoms and PEFR of each child were evaluated and recorded in the diary for 31 successive school days. During the study period, 24-hr average PM10 levels ranged between 46-201 microg/m3. PM10 levels exceeded 120 microg/m3 for 14 days. We found that when PM10 levels were >120 microg/m3, the daily reported nasal irritation of asthmatic children was significantly higher than when PM10 levels were < or =120 microg/m3. In addition, when PM10 levels were >120 microg/m3, nonasthmatic children had a significantly higher daily reported combination of any respiratory symptoms. PEFR did not change with different ambient PM10 levels in both groups. This study suggests that elevated levels of PM10 concentrations in Bangkok affect respiratory symptoms of schoolchildren with and without asthma.

The second hand market might yield a nice Saab, or Volvo convertible. But still it's a rarity to have the top down, my second car is a 2 seater convertible and I used to go round Khao Yai/Saraburi/Lopburi areas with the top down during cool season, but rest of the time it's hard top all the way!

http://www.one2car.com is a decent secondhand site

Good luck.. :o

You can not beat a convertible, i have had a few first one was a Cobra 427 Replica, now i have just got hold of a new BMW Z4 3.0L, amazing bit of kit, had it last week, do they sell the Z4 in Thailand as i would love to know the costing of one over there and may be interested in buying one in the future, as importing is far to expensive.

The second hand market might yield a nice Saab, or Volvo convertible. But still it's a rarity to have the top down, my second car is a 2 seater convertible and I used to go round Khao Yai/Saraburi/Lopburi areas with the top down during cool season, but rest of the time it's hard top all the way!

http://www.one2car.com is a decent secondhand site

Good luck..  :o

Just had a brouse on this site, they have a BMW Z3, they want 2.5 Million Baht, It is an M series one, but still very steep pricewise, it's worth about 1.3 million baht in the UK.

I will have to give my DMAX a roof chop, or stick to the motorcycle.

• 4 weeks later...

When you want to buy a niche/luxury car on a budget your only option is to look second hand really. A new Mini Convertible is 2.6 million baht!!

I imagine it's very hard to find a good condition convertible here though. I can't find a price for it, but Citroen do a version of the C3 with that fold away hard top. I expect it's probably up around the same price as the mini, but I think that sort of roof would be a better option for Thailand. Best of both worlds.

One more thing: With the soft-top, you will likely spend most of your time with the roof up, and only a few days a year with it down. When up the air-conditioning will be working harder that normal roofed cars due to the lack of insulation, and black (the color of most soft-top fabric) is very absorbent. The result is that you'll use a lot of fuel trying to keep cool.

Try riding in the back of a TukTuk in Bangkok and you'll get an idea of what it will be like in a convertible. Personally I'd rather not have to cough up my left lung after a journey.

Buy a Honda Jazz, or Toyota Vios. Will take 4 full-sized people in comfort and will only cost you around 500,000-600,000 baht. Use the rest of your cash to pay for holidays to places like Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Spain and rent a beautiful convertible while there. This way you will get to do more driving with the top down that you would in Thailand (even if you just go a few times a year), on good winding mountain roads, through quaint freshly-painted villages, and you will save money and problems. If the holiday costs you 200,000 baht a time (and I think that would be a really nice holiday), you could still take 10 of those for the 2 million premium required to buy a convertible here over the Jazz.

Other than that I see quite a number of convertible VW beetles around. (Always with the hood up though).

Get an old beetle and cut the roof off.Manpower is cheap in Thailand, there are plenty of plans how do to it of beetle-freaks in the net.Try to get in contact with a club, perhaps they can help you.I don´t know wether modification would harm the log-book or registration.

Beetles are quite cheap to restore as they were running for so long.

It used to be possible for the old BMW E30 Series ( 3 series).Google for "BMW Bauer", though they don´t look nice.

Both the Beetle and the BMW are quite chaep to get in LOS

Edited by MikeRay

Get an old beetle and cut the roof off.Manpower is cheap in Thailand, there are plenty of plans how do to it of beetle-freaks in the net.Try to get in contact with a club, perhaps they can help you.I don´t know wether modification would harm the log-book or registration.

Beetles are quite cheap to restore as they were running for so long.

It used to be possible for the old BMW E30 Series ( 3 series).Google for "BMW Bauer", though they don´t look nice.

Both the Beetle and the BMW are quite chaep to get in LOS

And don't forget to re-enforce the door sills/ floorpan :o

I've seen a few Toyota Celicas with the roof's chopped off. 500K for a decent mid 90's Celica, and figure 100K for a decent chop job. Presto, a sporty rag top, and as Dave says make sure they re-inforce the chassis, easy to do with a few well places metal bars, and a good welder.