Why Are There No @*&$#*! Convertibles In Thailand?

ThePyawkt

closest thing ive seen to a convertible in thailand are those jeeps they rent

with the soft or hard tops. those tops come off easily and you've got an

instant convertible. hope you've got a bald head thats shiny enough to reflect the sun back into outer space

Intrcar on Thepprasit Road Jomtien has at this moment two soft tops on the lot. One is a Suzuki Carribian and the other is a Suzuki Samurai. The first is 169,000 and the other is 199,000. Great fun. The second one has a lot of goodies plus a 1.6 liter Vitara engine.

closest thing ive seen to a convertible in thailand are those jeeps they rent

with the soft or hard tops.  those tops come off easily and you've got an

instant convertible. hope you've got a bald head thats shiny enough to reflect the sun back into outer space

Thais dont like sunshine. They are like Mushrooms. Did you ever see a Thai (non-bar type) at the beach wearing a bikini??? They more likely wear a full wetsuit!!

Not much market for the drop top here then.

Regards

There are some Thais who would never ever set a foot in a "beer bar", what's so surprising?

My boss has got z4 with a soft top that is always up.

Does'nt make them better people though does it?

My comment was because of the use of the phrase "non bar type"! Like it makes a difference.

Who mentioned beer bar anyway? :o

Edited by davethailand

Convertibles are all imported and taxes are based on assumed values here not what was paid for them. So they're super expensive.

Also I think it's just too hot here for a rag top, especially if you sit in Bangkok traffic, however I wouldn't say no to a Merc SL500 with the new fold down hard top.

I doubt they'll ever catch on, even sunroofs are a bit of a rarity.

I agree...the weather and the pollution are negatives for convertibles here in BKK....also spit from open windows in busses is a hazzard.

In BKK I drive a Mercedes SLK with a mechanical roof that can be tucked into the boot with the push of a button. Abroad my wife and I have a SL 55 AMG (which is an upward modified SL 500.

Convertibles are all imported and taxes are based on assumed values here not what was paid for them. So they're super expensive.

Also I think it's just too hot here for a rag top, especially if you sit in Bangkok traffic, however I wouldn't say no to a Merc SL500 with the new fold down hard top.

I agree...the weather and the pollution are negatives for convertibles here in BKK....also spit from open windows in busses is a hazzard.

In BKK I drive a Mercedes SLK with a mechanical roof that can be tucked into the boot with the push of a button. Abroad my wife and I have a SL 55 AMG (which is an upward modified SL 500.

This is the SL 55 AMG with the top mechanically inserted into thee boot.

I feel that I am fairly comfortable financially here in the Kingdom but your examples are NOT affordable for me. Not even ONE of them. :o

This is the SL 55 AMG with the top mechanically inserted into thee boot.

There are some Thais who would never ever set a foot in a "beer bar", what's so surprising?

My comment was because of the use of the phrase "non bar type"! Like it makes a difference.

Same as there are "non bar type' farangs Dave. Dont get all in a pickle over an innocent comment eh.

Same as there are "non bar type' farangs Dave. Dont get all in a pickle over an innocent comment eh.

Why are you bothered? You did'nt make the initial comment.

"non bar type" is a stupid narrow minded term! There are many different kinds of bars ranging from beer bars to cocktails or hotel bars. :D

If you are set on having a convertible and find one your main problem will still be there. Now you are happy but you will have to figure out how to make it a convertible on your side and a covered top on her side. A possible benefit is that she will refuse to ride in it and you will be able to cat around all by yourself.

Another poster had the best idea. Teach her to drive, buy a pickup truck and put a nice comfortable recliner in the back. She will have the air con and a top and you will be comfortable in the open air.

I have made about 5 porsche convertibles, all from Targas, and once made a Mercedes cab, not something you want to do. this isn't just chopping the top off, as other posters have mentioned you have to deal with the structual aspects and lets not forget a cabriolet top frame that fits air/water tight to the windows and windshield post. I currently own a few Porsche factory cabriolets as the projects turned out nice, and i am happy someone else is enjoying them. I would stick to the factory as the suzukis are cheap enough if a cab is a must have. i was thinking about a porsche over their as i live in los angeles but have a place in Phuket that will be my primary residence here in 6 months, porsches really suck with the AC and have room for a midget or newborn only in back. i am looking at the BMW as they have the largest sunroof i have seen as i have owned a few of those as well, so it was a good comprimise. Good luck and this is an excellent thread.

I must have had six convertibles in Texas, from a French Alpine to a Mustang (two of the best Corvairs, not Corvettes), but doubt that I'd want one here. Have motorcycle here!

Did VW ever import the new New Beetle convertible here? It's about $25,000 in the USA, and replaced the old Rabbit cabrio. They even have a turbo New Beetle convertible in some markets.

So there is a market for making convertibles. How are the rules for reconstructing cars in thailand.I know in germany you can get almost anything you.ve buildt trough the TUW control .Same in the UK. with those increadable safe super lowcost seven cars

I have given this convertible thing some thought before, and arrived at the conclusion, as someone here did, that probably the best *low cost* option would be to buy a beetle and chop it yourself.

Does anyone have any more info or decent links as to what is involved in such a project ?

I remember years ago in the UK looking at some of these, and there was a huge diference in values between an "original" beetle cabrio, and a chop job. I seem to recall the obvious way to tell was to look at the back windscreen, but I can't remember exactly.

Cheers,

INTJ.

• 1 month later...

thaiowl, it's good if a Toyota dealer is honest enough not to touch it. That probably means they can't reliably work on it because they don't know enough about it. You've got another thread started, but I'd be amazed if there are two shops in Bangkok who are reliable and can get you the right parts. Good luck.

INTJ, I'll vote with DaveThailand that chopping the top off of an old Beetle would call for strengthening the floorpan, sills, wheel arches. Maybe weld some cross members from left to right. The top is probably an essential part of the structural rigidity. Convertibles are famous for having serious frame flex. Factory convertibles are heavier than sedans because the frame weighs more than the roof it replaces.

Still, what months of the year is a convertible comfortable to drive with the top down in Thailand?