My Kingdom For A Towel

wrestler7902002

Is it just me?

When in Pattaya & Jomtien during the high tourist season, I sweat profusely with beads running down my face. Happens more of course as I walk outdoors during the daytime. No problem during the nighttime hours.

Yes, I am overweight, certainly not elephant size, and have high blood pressure. Whenever I lose weight and am on high blood pressure medication, my face still sweats a lot.

I carry a small towlette with me all the time.

When Thais see me sweating, they say that it's good and healthy for me. I just think to myself, "are they kidding?"

I've never really seen a Thai person sweat. I thought that I would get used to the heat and humidity, but thus far I haven't.

Do any of you have the same problem, and if so, how do you deal with it?

Lose weight and spend time in a sauna. Really this can help you sweat less when you get out.

Are there any saunas in Pattaya?

Alternatively, there are lots of beautiful young girls in Pattaya just waiting to get a job walking round with a farang and wiping his brow every minute.

When in Pattaya & Jomtien during the high tourist season, I sweat profusely with beads running down my face. Happens more of course as I walk outdoors during the daytime. No problem during the nighttime hours.

Only the high season? :D

You should try walking around during April/May... :o

And yes... Thais do sweat if they get overheated... just like normal human beings.

:D

THere is no way around the sweat if you are overweight. I am too (but I am working on it?)

I basically learn to accept it and regard it as a human defense mechanism.

Still, its embarassing/laughable about the sweat patterns the develop on the clothes. Even more so, the dried sweat leaves a salt ring on the clothes - not too fashionable.

Change of shirt is helpful to carry around and cool towels on the back of the neck seem to help feel better.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I know that I'll have to lose the weight.

Some people acclimate better than others in tropical, humid weather.

Basically, the only sweat I gave gushing from my body is on my face. I think it is mostly due to the sun hitting my face all the time. I normally don't sweat whenever it is cloudy. Whenever there's a slight breeze, this also helps a lot.

If I wear a hat, it'll shade my face from the direct sunlight, but then the top of my folically-challenged head will perspire and maybe steam will come out.

I think I just may have to buy one of those small light-colored umbrellas that sits on top of my head and keep those small towels handy.

Anyone know a good place to buy one of those umbrella-hats in Pattaya?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

THere is no way around the sweat if you are overweight.  I am too (but I am working on it?)

I basically learn to accept it and regard it as a human defense mechanism.

Still, its embarassing/laughable about the sweat patterns the develop on the clothes.  Even more so, the dried sweat leaves a salt ring on the clothes - not too fashionable.

One of the first things I learned when I started working in Se-Asia - wear light coloured clothes, especially shirts that do not change colour when wet/sweaty.

Talkum power is also very useful. Always carry a handkerchief, or if you have space (baggy trousers) a small towel. Avoid direct sunlight.

The first time I was offered one of those towels they keep in the ice box, I was allmost offended, until I realised how good it felt! Then I looked around and all the other falangs were using them also. This was in June...very hot. I run at least 2 miles every day, but still sweat profusly in Thailand! Just goes with the territory. :o

This is a very interesting post. The topic of body fluid management is a good one. We've had some related discussion at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45522

Uncle finds that a little diuretic once a day helps a lot with fluid, but since he has also cut beer intake it's hard to separate the influences. However the combination is certainly magic when it comes to blood pressure; about 20 mm reduction in a week or so.

Acclimatization and development of best habits is a key to living in Thailand.

Sweating can be a really good thing!

I almost can't sweat, when I get hot, I just turn red and I just feel like my pores are clogging. I have had heat stroke in part because of this. If I do sweat, it's usually because I'm sick.

I do know someone who was at risk for becoming dehydrated constantly because he sweat so much. His doctor gave him injections under his arms to stop sweating. I believe it was botox that they use to stop it. I'm sure there are botox places in Pattaya to ask.