Best Way To Make Pad Kapaew Moo ?

dmax

pork mince or beef mince ? can anyone tell me the simplest best recipe for this dish, i have looked it up on you tube but there are so many different ways and mostly on youtube it is farangs cooking it, i have made it a few times back home in uk but it just hasnt turned out and tastesd the same as what i get in thailand.

thanks

yes use Pork + choped chilli as much as u like + krapao as much as u like + sweet soy sauce (black see-eiw) just about 1 table spoon or abit more depends on how much pork do u use , this one just to give the colour + abit of soysauce and fish sauce

dont forget to eat it with Kai dao.

this is the easiest way to cook, no fancy no drama! lol :jap:

yes use Pork + choped chilli as much as u like + krapao as much as u like + sweet soy sauce (black see-eiw) just about 1 table spoon or abit more depends on how much pork do u use , this one just to give the colour + abit of soysauce and fish sauce

dont forget to eat it with Kai dao.

this is the easiest way to cook, no fancy no drama! lol :jap:

Agree entirely - especially khai dao and 'no fancy' - some restaurants try to put carrot or other bits in. It is not needed - this is, IMHO, the greatest and simplest of all Thai dishes.

When I go back to the UK I usually take packets of Lobo Holy Basil mix.

I wonder if OP is using the correct type of basil? It must be Holy Basil and not sweet basil as the thai basil imparts a special flavor

i think your spot on there sbk i used fresh basil bought from a chinese supermarket so i dont think it was imported from asia , maybe ? also i didnt use soy sauce, anyway thanks i,ll try these recipes out, i will get it right soon enough blink.gif i hope.

I wonder if OP is using the correct type of basil? It must be Holy Basil and not sweet basil as the thai basil imparts a special flavor

i think your spot on there sbk i used fresh basil bought from a chinese supermarket so i dont think it was imported from asia , maybe ? also i didnt use soy sauce, anyway thanks i,ll try these recipes out, i will get it right soon enough blink.gif i hope.

Very difficult to find holy basil in the UK. Probably only in the biggest cities. Ask at local Thai restaurants until you get someone helpful. Done with sweet basil it's a worthwhile dish but it's not Thai and it's not Pad Kapaew.

I quite like it bulked out with green beans, carrots and/or onion (the latter only if its beef, just a personal choice). Since Thais will more often than not do the same it can hardly be said to be a bastardisation of the dish. I usually throw in some of the unspicy large red chili, sliced on the diagonal, for colour also

My prefered recipe is pretty much the same as in the link from Totster, developed over time using trial and error.

However if you want to be a purist I imagine this is a truly authentic recipe (using beef). Don't be put off by the fact that the chef's a foreigner; to say he knows his stuff when it comes to Thai food is a serious understatement. Good luck (4th recipe down):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/david-thompson-thai-recipes

:)

Hi Dmax

Pad Krapow Moo is easy to make and I have a very easy to follow recipe on our site http://www.thaifood-recipes.com/pad-kaprow-moo-pork-stir-fry-with-holy-basil/

You can substitute beef ( but it will then be pad krapow neua ;) ) or chicken or even seafood. The particular recipe I have on the site uses mince which seems to be what you are looking for.

Please let me know if there are any other recipes you are needing help with and I can either refer you to my site, or write up the recipe for you. We are a work in progress but getting lots more content up every week.

jap.gif

I spent some time working in a Thai 'restaurant' in the UK. They used a number of vegetables.....onion, carrot, green/red pepper, long beans, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms.

For the 'paste' they had a 50/50 mix red/green chillies. This was then put in a fodd processor with garlic at the rate of around 75% chillies to 25 garlic. Blitz but not to paste. This was then covered with oil and would keep a long time in the fridge.

The meat wassn't minced but cut rather finely.

In a dish for one after firstly frying the beg and meat in a little oil 2 desert spoons of oyster sauce was added along with half a desert of white sugar. Then one desert of Soya sauce and a little....maybe half a desert of dark soya sauce.

Taste to make sure the balance of flavours is correct ie sweet/salty.

Holy Basil added at the end followed by a little white pepper for a nice fragrance. I also like to fried egg on top.

I did see it made without any basil because it had ran out. Still very nice.