Thaksin Will Only Return If Granted Amnesty: Chaiyasit

webfact

OK ... I think we have debunked gk's posts, though I am still interested if he can come up with any JP Morgan Thailand scandal from 1999-2004! I think it is a silly attempt to muddy up Korn with unrelated dirt .. but if there is something I would like to know about it!)

(I didn't know about the 2.1 million daily readers or the 605k paid subscribers ... FT and FT.com are even bigger than I thought! )

No you have not debunked anything. JP Morgan has a long history of questionable practices and scandals around the world. I am not just talking about the mortgage games, and the bribery in the USA (look at the fines and sanctions). Some people's memories are short. Go back to ENRON and look at the international aspects of the activiities. Energy futures, hedgings and asset shiftings did not just occur in the USA. Go and read the ENRON investigation and then come back and say my concern is not valid. Here's a hint, look up Enron's asian activities. What was the relationship between Enron and JP Morgan?

I also suggest you have a good look at the UK FSA report detailing JP Morgan's conduct. JP Morgan was fined £33m by the Financial Services Authority – the largest-ever fine imposed by the regulator – for basic compliance failures which meant the bank had not protected client money by segregating it from its own funds over a seven-year period (as per statute proscription of prior dates). This was a behaviour that was accepted at JP Morgan. Do you think, it only happened in one jurisdiction? Who do you think JPMorgan in London represented. Here's a hint, think international clients.

I am certainly not bashing Mr. Korn because of JPMorgan's recent fines and charges. However, as they say a leopard doesn't change its spots and the conduct identified in all of the cases from the past 5 years is reflective of a company philosophy and management style that dates back decades. I am not blaming Mr. Korn for a company strategy. Unfortunately, he was chairman of the Thai operations when it seems the strategy was operating.

Now imagine if one is a regulator and wants to act on requests of foreign regulators. What happens if one wants to investigate a company previously run and still well connected to one's boss. What if the regulator is in a jurisdiction where there is political interference? I am not saying that is the case with Mr. Korn. However, the scenario is worth considering and I defy anyone to say it is not a likely scenario for a Asian country

Edited by geriatrickid

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So ... GK has nothing, but association with a company named JP Morgan. Amazing Thailand. Not a single thing in Thailand, but hey! Try and put Enron etc on him.

BTW GK -- the debunking was your mythtake (pun intended) regarding FT. Your claims for JP Morgan are spurious.

The FT newspaper is printed at 24 print sites across the world and has a global print circulation of 381,658 (ABCs, March 2011). Along with FT.com, it has an average daily readership of 2.1 million people worldwide (PwC audited figures, April 2010). FT.com has 3.4 million registered users and 224,ooo digital subscribers, as well as 605,402 people who pay for its content daily (Deloitte assured, 3 January 2011 to 3 April 2011).

And what's your point? It is wonderful that you looked up the FT circulation. However, the Banker Magazine is a totally separate publication and it has a circulation of around 26,000 and falling. Look it up. You might as well have posted the numbers for Hello or Ladies Home Journal as they are equally related. The Magazine selects people based upon the machinations of PR and vested interests. The selection of a person by one magazine while complimentary, means nothing as the only thing that matters are the financial results. Thailand's oil fund is near depleted isn't it? Who managed to do that? At the same time the magazine was waxing pretty all over Korn it also was claiming the Nigerian Finance Minister was the best. Hello?

If one wants to "rate" the ministers, go to the IMF and World Bank reports. Mr. Korn is a decent finance minister. I am not saying he is bad. My point is that the singing of praises and adulation of a man that is competent, but not stellar is over the top and is politically motivated.

So ... GK has nothing, but association with a company named JP Morgan. Amazing Thailand. Not a single thing in Thailand, but hey! Try and put Enron etc on him.

BTW GK -- the debunking was your mythtake (pun intended) regarding FT. Your claims for JP Morgan are spurious.

How are they spurious? Because you say so? I am not putting Enron on him. However, the conduct of JP Morgan and its worldwide operations and their association to Enron is well discussed. Go do some reading on the asian operations.

You disagree. OK, I wouldn't expect anything else from you. People can decide for themselves.

I note that JP Morgan was investigated in multiple jurisdictions for past conduct dating back decades. Is your view that the absence of a public investigation by Thai regulators is due to the legacy of brilliance of the former chairman and now finance minister? Perhaps you and others should get together and give him an award for this accomplishment. Those that know Thailand will understand my point. If you don't ok. There's some koolaid down near the 7-11 for you.

I do not expect you to acknowledge that since your doctrinaire views do not allow for anything other than a chorus of praise for Abhisit and Korn.

Edited by geriatrickid

LOL

That's the best you can do when incorrect facts are exposed?

That's the best I can do with what you purport :) Just like your attempts to smear Korn with him being with JP Morgan. Smoke and mirrors and nothing else. Nothing from overseas, nothing from Thailand ... but hey!

The FT newspaper is printed at 24 print sites across the world and has a global print circulation of 381,658 (ABCs, March 2011). Along with FT.com, it has an average daily readership of 2.1 million people worldwide (PwC audited figures, April 2010). FT.com has 3.4 million registered users and 224,ooo digital subscribers, as well as 605,402 people who pay for its content daily (Deloitte assured, 3 January 2011 to 3 April 2011).

And what's your point? It is wonderful that you looked up the FT circulation. However, the Banker Magazine is a totally separate publication and it has a circulation of around 26,000 and falling. Look it up. You might as well have posted the numbers for Hello or Ladies Home Journal as they are equally related. The Magazine selects people based upon the machinations of PR and vested interests. The selection of a person by one magazine while complimentary, means nothing as the only thing that matters are the financial results. Thailand's oil fund is near depleted isn't it? Who managed to do that? At the same time the magazine was waxing pretty all over Korn it also was claiming the Nigerian Finance Minister was the best. Hello?

If one wants to "rate" the ministers, go to the IMF and World Bank reports. Mr. Korn is a decent finance minister. I am not saying he is bad. My point is that the singing of praises and adulation of a man that is competent, but not stellar is over the top and is politically motivated.

It also would be wonderful if you read everything, and didn't use deceptive/selective editing, because Banker also was in there.

When redacting someones post it is required to use elipses to show you have not included all the content. Especially when said redfaction removes salient points to the others arguments. As you did here.

Doing the most from the least under the worst conditions would be considered harder than keeping the status quo happening in a good situation you inherited.

You keep trying for a point and never making it. Domage.

Edited by animatic

Yep Korn certainly knows his stuff...........

But on the basic "Thaksinomics" of rural development, government health care, industrial privatization and infrastructure buildout? Just more and better, Korn says."If Thaksin had stuck to his original mandate and had he not tried to subvert the workings of the government institutions and allowed the amount of corruption that has taken place," Korn says, his party wouldn't have such a quarrel. At one point he acknowledges, "The macroeconomic picture is actually quite healthy."

Source: Forbes.com

Yep Korn certainly knows his stuff...........

But on the basic "Thaksinomics" of rural development, government health care, industrial privatization and infrastructure buildout? Just more and better, Korn says."If Thaksin had stuck to his original mandate and had he not tried to subvert the workings of the government institutions and allowed the amount of corruption that has taken place," Korn says, his party wouldn't have such a quarrel. At one point he acknowledges, "The macroeconomic picture is actually quite healthy."

Source: Forbes.com

Link please :)

But let's review what he said (can't tell when from that blurb)

The macroeconomic picture is actually quite healthy

Thaksin subverted the workings of government institutions

Thaksin allowed an excessive amount of corruption

That government healthcare is good

That improving infrastructure is good

Rural development is good

What does Korn want? More and better without the excessive amount of corruption and the former? PM's subverting of government institutions ... AMAZING

Hmmm Thailand had an overall healthy economy ... wow! That's High Praise! Particularly when the region and Asia all had pretty healthy economies :)

I get fed up with comments about how the poor can't help themselves, etc, and remain poor. I have spent a considerable amount of time upcountry and a good percentage of these 'good' poor people spend all day partying and drinking whiskey. They are not interested in improving their lot through hard work to make a better life for themselves.

Looks like no one else is interested in this obnoxious piece of generalisation.

Otherwise they would be on the bus to Bangkok, etal, looking for work, and by all accounts there is plenty of work to be had in this land of plenty with a booming economy and industrial sector. I came from a poor background and I have bettered myself; why can't they do so?

Bravo! Bravo! What do you want? Congratulations?

Thailand biggest problem is that most Thais have a very low level of education and can't think for themselves.

So now you've answered your own question. Well done.

I, too, spent a lot of time up north where the whole village worked hard every day, everybody helping everyone else with their crops, taking it in turns to work in one person's field on one day and the next person's field the next day.

Even the Japanese have commented on this, since they need a skilled workforce to operate the businesses they have here. If most Thais were better educated they could also vote for themselves rather than their village headman telling them who to vote for, ending up voting in frauds like Taksin.

Yes, thank you, we all know what goes on at election time.

BTW, 'Thaksin' is spelt with a 'h'. This helps avoid confusion with King Taksin.

BTW, 'Thaksin' is spelt with a 'h'. This helps avoid confusion with King Taksin.

You mean 'King Taksin, The Great'.

:whistling:

Ah, yes the one who was finally put in a large sack and beaten to death.

- allegedly! :) Some say a substitute was put in the sack and he - Taksin - lived to a ripe old age.

I, too, spent a lot of time up north where the whole village worked hard every day, everybody helping everyone else with their crops, taking it in turns to work in one person's field on one day and the next person's field the next day.

I thought they didn't give work permits for farang tam na? B)

The issue would then resolve to .. other than a few weeks planting and a few weeks harvesting ...... it leaves about 10 months where many villagers do very little. (Prepping the land etc accounts for about another month .. so let's call it 10 months a year mostly idle in areas where only one rice crop comes in annually. But hey, why let a simple example of communal sharing of work being shown to represent the annual workload go uncorrected ;)

I don't think he said that he worked, merely that he lived among people who worked hard in a communal spirit, helping each other in their fields. No work permit needed for an observer I believe.

- allegedly! :) Some say a substitute was put in the sack and he - Taksin - lived to a ripe old age.

In Montenegro by some reports ;)

What you imply is quite correct! I also worked in the fields, picking the bright orange flower heads called "Dowrung" (or something like that) and putting them in sacks.

After working in the fields for a few hours everyone went back to the house where the sacks were emptied and you had to cut off the green bit at the base of the flower and keep all the orange bits. Got at least 50 baht for a sack-full. Apparently it was good fodder for cows. Back-breaking work though.

If any immigration officials are reading this, I never went there, it's all made up and I never got back-ache.

The issue would then resolve to .. other than a few weeks planting and a few weeks harvesting ...... it leaves about 10 months where many villagers do very little. (Prepping the land etc accounts for about another month .. so let's call it 10 months a year mostly idle in areas where only one rice crop comes in annually. But hey, why let a simple example of communal sharing of work being shown to represent the annual workload go uncorrected ;)

Then after the "Dowrung" flowers got harvested, it was time for the new pineapples to be planted and the old ones to be harvested.

Amazing things, pineapples. They appear to grow by condensing water out of the atmosphere and letting it run down inside the plant. The pineapples were huge - not like the pathetic small, sharp tasting ones we get in Phuket.

These were sweet, tasting similar to honey and dripping with juice. And they grew without rain for weeks.

After that I don't know what the people did because I came back. They probably all got drunk, had parties and f*cked each other now that the farang had left to tell his tale of hard working up-country folk, eh JD?

details please?

I don't think he said that he worked, merely that he lived among people who worked hard in a communal spirit, helping each other in their fields. No work permit needed for an observer I believe.

Quite correct. I never worked, my fingers didn't go orange and I didn't feel bad sitting around watching a couple of dozen people sweltering in the sun. :)

Google is your friend!

details please?

Google is your friend!

hum..................... half Chinese...........

interesting how he died............... ... thankx....

An amazing "tale" jetset, and it appears to account for another 3 weeks :)

:D

Then there's the OTOP - another dozen or so employed (full time) cutting and shining nuts, drilling holes in them, threading them onto coloured string to make all sorts of bracelets, necklaces, curtains, etc.

If only the Gallery was working again I could show you pictures. :lol:

Then after the "Dowrung" flowers got harvested, it was time for the new pineapples to be planted and the old ones to be harvested.

Amazing things, pineapples. They appear to grow by condensing water out of the atmosphere and letting it run down inside the plant. The pineapples were huge - not like the pathetic small, sharp tasting ones we get in Phuket.

These were sweet, tasting similar to honey and dripping with juice. And they grew without rain for weeks.

After that I don't know what the people did because I came back. They probably all got drunk, had parties and f*cked each other now that the farang had left to tell his tale of hard working up-country folk, eh JD?

Our local villagers make a fairly-'interesting' fermented-beverage out of pineapple-juice/pulp, but they need old whisky-bottles, to store it in before consumption. Based on my own personal experience, I would add "recovering from their hangovers" to the above list ! :D