Extra 14 Days On 30 Day Extension?

If you are on a 60 day tourist visa and have already extended by 30 days then you must leave the country and re-enter........you cannot extend again.

If you arrive and obtain a plain old 30 day entry stamp (permit to stay) then this can be extended at the discretion of Immigration.........normally by 10 days but quite possibly 14 days..........its just down to the individual officer dealing with your application.

In short the visa you have cannot be extended any further.

Edit...........dont forget to take some funds with you Mai Sai might ask to see them..........currently 10k baht for single traveller and 20k for family when coming back in on a 30 day stamp and 20k and 40k respectivly when coming back in on a tourist visa or Non Immigrant visa.

Edited by thaiflyer1

I don't think it's correct that a 60 day tourist visa can be extended by only 30 days.

Most people I know of manage a 30 day extension(1900 Baht), followed by a 15 day stamp "extension under consideration of the police department" (1900 Baht), then followed by another 10 or 15 days stamp (free).

This last stamp normally gets accompanied by another stamp sayin that this was the final extension!

It seems if you are polite and presentable when applying for extensions that you have a pretty good chance getting these stamps!

It's however very possible that these last two stamps are "at the discretion of the immigration officer", just like the extensions on 30 day entry permits and as such are in no way guranteed...

Edited by monty

I don't think it's correct that a 60 day tourist visa can be extended by only 30 days.

OK i concede "cannot" maybe too strong a word.............i believe the actual wording runs something along the lines of 15-30 day extension is possible if a neccesity i.e sickness and backed up by documentation or 15 days if no documentation is forthcoming.

However i wouldnt like to chance my arm on recieving the extra 15 days as a definate.........as you say monty it down to the individual officer concerned but the chances of getting turned down for the inital 30 day extension on the 60 day stay is small and i would suggest the chances of turn down for the extra 15 days on top of this much higher.

I just asked at immigration, and their, very friendly by the way, answer was that the first 30 days extension are granted as a rule, and anything after that on a case by case scenario...

Unless you show up unshaven and in tank tops (as amazingly a lot of people do!) you'll normally walk away with 60 days worth of extensions on a tourist visa...

Also, if they didn't put the "final extension" stamp in, the worst you can end up with is an additional 10 days. This is the time they give you to leave Thailand if you are refused an extension.

They do not throw you out overnight if you don't get your requested extension!!!

The officer told me that they normally are very lenient in giving these extensions, if for example an older couple comes in for a second 30 day extension they will most probably give it in one time, saving the couple from popping back into the office after 15 days!

This is from the Pattaya immigration, which will move to Jomtien in a month or two. They seem to be polishing up their service and image a bit, they will be the first in Thailand to set up a system to allow the 90 day reporting on-line as well. Should be up and running when the move to Jomtien is complete.

I am currently on a tourist visa. Having used up the last entry I went to BKK 2 weeks ago for a 30 day extension. When handing back the passport the officer told me if I needed it (his precise words) they would give me a further 30 days. I was taken aback and said I probably wouldn't need it to which he repeated "well if you need it." First I've heard of this. I had not asked him about the likelihood of further extension which I had not thought possible.

Perhaps they actually ready my reason for extension and took pity on me. I won't go into detail but it involves waiting paperwork to convert to a different visa type.

Anyway I now expect to "need it" and will report if I get it.

Hi

I have been a “Tourist” in LOS for some time now and have always been under the impression that visa extensions are granted on a basis half the days of your current visa or extension.

This means that on 60 day visa you get 30 day extension, on your 30 extension you get 15 day extension and on that you can get a 7 day extension.

For myself I have always gone for the 60 day visa then the 30 day extension as being the most practical and cost effective for me.

I did at one time go for a 15 day extension on my 30 extension and had no problems at all. This was on Samui a couple of years ago.

I have found that immigration office attitudes do vary, so I guess that can make a difference. Samui was one of the easiest and friendliest I’ve used especially considering some of the yobs and deadbeats they get turning up there. Maybe It’s changed over the last couple of years – Hope Not.

:o