Monthly Budget For Life In Bkk

strikingsunset

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live on the outskirts of BKK, and live like a normal human being, avoid the night life scene, if you are seen to be on the level plenty of decent Thai women will take an interest in you.

Your neighbors will become matchmakers

Learning the language is a must.

Thanks,yes this is what I going to do,I really appreciate all the constructive and balanced help here,I feel much more confident about the way forward.

The first thing I will do is visit some thai language schools,researching now.

Also to ask is there a social scene for expats ( not involving the bar/bar girl scene) that i can get involved in ?,or if you can direct me to a website to research etc

have a look at the thai language hut, has a good social side to it as well as good teachers

one thing you leave out is phone costs in your budget; I would add 1500 baht a month for that.

However, as another poster stated, your estimate for bts/mrt is a little high, I use it everyday for work and usually spend about 1500 a month on refilling the card. You should budget another 1500 for taxis as well. so about 3k for trans.

one thing you leave out is phone costs in your budget; I would add 1500 baht a month for that.

However, as another poster stated, your estimate for bts/mrt is a little high, I use it everyday for work and usually spend about 1500 a month on refilling the card. You should budget another 1500 for taxis as well. so about 3k for trans.

noted and thanks

You havent told us how old you are. If youre in your fifties which i suspect ,then trouble is waiting for you at every corner in Thailand. Your budget of 85,000 b is absurd. You can do everything here on half that money.Accomodation is everywhere and cheap. No more than 10,000 b/month incl swimming pool. Your biggest problem is going to be girls. Most western men aged between 45-75 are living with a poor Thai mans woman. ie wife ,girlfriend ... You will be expected to pay for everyone including their soi children.You will be told nothing.If your main reason for coming to Thailand is sex then i suggest you stay in England where youre safe. Only poor isan women marry elder western men. They marry you for money not love.You should consult your embassy in bangkok for advice ; not this forum.You sound like a typical Brit heading for trouble overseas.Good luck.

Some pretty sweeping generalisations there. Well done. :whistling:

On a serious note though, I think 100k a month is a bit over the top to be honest, and I don't undwerstand why the OP is factoring in 10k for girlfriend support, bit strange that one - as it seems he doesn't have a GF at the moment anyhow. Some reasonable advice on here about the cost of things, I'd say if single and not working than you'd want 70k + the rent and utilities on top, so 85,000 would be about right if you find the right location for accommodation.

has the op factored in the cost of visa renewals & extensions?

and I'd scrap the 10k for a "gf" bit. If she needs paying she isn't a gf. Go to a bar once a week & hire a girl for the night = 4k baht a month, saving you 6k a month in cash & a load of hassle generally.

You can get a nice apartment with a bedroom and lounge for about 15,000 somewhere like Ladprao.

A very nice "normal" life with beers just at the weekend, 50,000+ (Thai middle-management money).

If you're going to be out "on the guzzle" costs are infinite. Same same with women ;)

RAZZ

Think about getting out of Bangkok or Phuket where prices are often times as high or higher than home in the western world.

85,000 baht a month for living decently (not on a shoe string budget and cheap studio apartment of less than thai standards) is about correct for those areas, if one prefers to stay there. At that price, the Op can afford to be with a girlfiriend, or just rent one from time to time. Thought it was commonly understood that to all Asian women Love is being taken care of. Lust is all about looks, and performance. Never think it is free, because it is not !

Just about Everything, including thai food is far more expensive in Bangkok and Phuket.

Come to Thailand and travel around a bit and explore the alternatives of living in Pattaya (House rents are acceptable in the Pattaya area), Chiang Mai, South Beaches, Issan, Northern Thailand.

I felt I had to be in Bangkok for several years, but was wrong. It did take me time to learn Thai, but I didn't really try for a while, since in Bangers you don't really need to speak thai at all.

I have found I can live well and have all the luxuries and amenities I want living elsewhere, and far more affordable. More of a normal life without all the hub bub.

Best to stick to tourist friendly cities for being a newbie.

Explore, have fun and you will find your piece of the pie.

Edited by KimoMax

Been living in Bkk for 5 years on 30-50k a month.

I do skimp on some things, and splash out on other things.

Budget is wholly dependent on lifestyle. I honestly don't think i couldn't spend 100k a month unless i was out on the town every night or renting a ridiculously priced apartment/girl friend.

Edited by Murf

I think your OP budget sounds ok, as a starter..... with a couple of caveats / comments, and highly subjective to your expectations.

• How you "allocate" the funds will probably be different..... for example 2400 for utilities is unrealistic. But the bottom line is the same.

• "Support" a girlfriend - how do you mean, eactly? You mentioned "decent" girls - well a "decent" girl (as in not a bar-girl) will have her own job and will not you to "support" her. Convincing her to "shack up" with you however is another story...... it seems to me that the reason you "love" Bangkok is the women...... which is perfectly ok..... but the rules of the game when it comes to dating and building a relationship with a women is every bit as complex here (probably more so) as it is back in the west. Elaborating here is beyond the scope of the query posted.

• In your OP, you did not mention your age, social background, profession, etc. I mean if you are a 55year old retired / retiring "unskilled" worked that struggles to make ends meet back in the uk, hapy to grab a cheap ber at a road side venue, and always goes for the bargain basement things in life (no disrespect intended), then 85k pcm will get you by very nicely. But if your a mid-30's professional, used to living an "easier" life with all the mod cons and amenities, and expect to spend your days posing in Thong Lor or hanging out at the Hyatt Erawan wine bar with your i-pad, and picking up a similarly skilled young and attractive professional Thai lady, then I'm afraid 85k is a bit lean. More still, if you are a 20 something, just out of uni, and are looking to spend a couple of years floating around bangkok etc. then 85k is MORE than enough. What ever catagory you fall into, do not forget about things like medical cover - as an expat, you need it here unless you want to go to some grotty little governement hospital......

To quantify and / or put things in persepctive a bit. I'm in my mid 30's and would consider myself a "3-4 star" kind of guy. My rent, car, and subsistence comes to about 80k a month for me, my wife (Thai) and daughter (toddler)...... that excludes phone, international travel, social, clothing, child costs (school, toys, kiddy items like pushchairs etc.) etc. I would add about 30-40 k pcm for my social life and occasional shopping. If I were a single guy looking to pick up a nice girl etc. as you desribe I would budget about 100k. But that is for me, my standards, and what I am used too...... some say exorbitant..... I think its a good compromise being the better things in life and the rediculous..... but everyones standards will differ, and each to their own.

HTH

PS - BTW, there's nothing wrong with a "good" bar girl...... providing she is "caught" early in her "career" and not already "damaged" beyond repair (socialliy and mentally). Not the most noble of origins, but we're all people.....

Edited by MTS1978

I think your OP budget sounds ok, as a starter..... with a couple of caveats / comments, and highly subjective to your expectations.

• How you "allocate" the funds will probably be different..... for example 2400 for utilities is unrealistic. But the bottom line is the same.

• "Support" a girlfriend - how do you mean, eactly? You mentioned "decent" girls - well a "decent" girl (as in not a bar-girl) will have her own job and will not you to "support" her. Convincing her to "shack up" with you however is another story...... it seems to me that the reason you "love" Bangkok is the women...... which is perfectly ok..... but the rules of the game when it comes to dating and building a relationship with a women is every bit as complex here (probably more so) as it is back in the west. Elaborating here is beyond the scope of the query posted.

• In your OP, you did not mention your age, social background, profession, etc. I mean if you are a 55year old retired / retiring "unskilled" worked that struggles to make ends meet back in the uk, hapy to grab a cheap ber at a road side venue, and always goes for the bargain basement things in life (no disrespect intended), then 85k pcm will get you by very nicely. But if your a mid-30's professional, used to living an "easier" life with all the mod cons and amenities, and expect to spend your days posing in Thong Lor or hanging out at the Hyatt Erawan wine bar with your i-pad, and picking up a similarly skilled young and attractive professional Thai lady, then I'm afraid 85k is a bit lean. More still, if you are a 20 something, just out of uni, and are looking to spend a couple of years floating around bangkok etc. then 85k is MORE than enough. What ever catagory you fall into, do not forget about things like medical cover - as an expat, you need it here unless you want to go to some grotty little governement hospital......

To quantify and / or put things in persepctive a bit. I'm in my mid 30's and would consider myself a "3-4 star" kind of guy. My rent, car, and subsistence comes to about 80k a month for me, my wife (Thai) and daughter (toddler)...... that excludes phone, international travel, social, clothing, child costs (school, toys, kiddy items like pushchairs etc.) etc. I would add about 30-40 k pcm for my social life and occasional shopping. If I were a single guy looking to pick up a nice girl etc. as you desribe I would budget about 100k. But that is for me, my standards, and what I am used too...... some say exorbitant..... I think its a good compromise being the better things in life and the rediculous..... but everyones standards will differ, and each to their own.

HTH

PS - BTW, there's nothing wrong with a "good" bar girl...... providing she is "caught" early in her "career" and not already "damaged" beyond repair (socialliy and mentally). Not the most noble of origins, but we're all people.....

HTH

Thanks,really useful,I have sent you a personal message

I pay 7500 a month for 1br condo near onnut, i live withmy farang gf and we love it here, high quality condos, tons of pools and garden and tons if security folks, its 35m2 which is enough if you go out every day for activities/hobbies . Electricity about 1500, due airco.

Food and drinks we do about 15000 monthly from shopping at tesco snd carrefour. We live in luxery and we go party a lot in clubs, perhaps about 30k a month.

I have my own car which is cheaper as taking cabs... In case you dont like dangerous motortaxis, crowded songtaews. Ie. I went to huahin with car spend abt 650 thb in fuel (diesel) for roundtrip incl sightseeing in that area and 25x2 baht extra for tollway.

My gf has 2 parttime teaching jobs earning about 60k and i with other job about the same, we not even use half of our money every month and still go out to restaurants, pubs, clubs, etc. We actually safe money on the bank now for our future house in hopefully 2 years.

We r 25 and 27 and live here in thailand 3 months now.

Happy together and enough money....

My 2 bahts...

I pay 7500 a month for 1br condo near onnut, i live withmy farang gf and we love it here, high quality condos, tons of pools and garden and tons if security folks, its 35m2 which is enough if you go out every day for activities/hobbies . Electricity about 1500, due airco.

Food and drinks we do about 15000 monthly from shopping at tesco snd carrefour. We live in luxery and we go party a lot in clubs, perhaps about 30k a month.

I have my own car which is cheaper as taking cabs... In case you dont like dangerous motortaxis, crowded songtaews. Ie. I went to huahin with car spend abt 650 thb in fuel (diesel) for roundtrip incl sightseeing in that area and 25x2 baht extra for tollway.

My gf has 2 parttime teaching jobs earning about 60k and i with other job about the same, we not even use half of our money every month and still go out to restaurants, pubs, clubs, etc. We actually safe money on the bank now for our future house in hopefully 2 years.

My 2 bahts...

I'm not sure if you're saying it's unrealistic because it's too high or too low. If you don't use aircon it's much too high. If you use aircon all day and night it's too low. I know people spending 1000 per month and 5000 per month and they live in the same size apartment, one is out all day and hardly ever uses the aircon, the other stays at home with it on all day. My bill is about 2500.

My 2 bahts...

HI,Again really useful info thanks,I continue to listen and learn.

Would really appreciate if you would personal message me re details of your condo building,it sounds just what I am looking for.Regards

I'm pretty shocked by this thread, to be honest. I think it does come down to what you value the most. I'm pretty lucky in my situation - I came here for my brother's friend's wedding and fell in love with Thailand. The first night in Bangkok I couldn't wait to leave the city, but after coming back from a couple of weeks on the islands I started to see the appeal. I've been living here since May last year with a girl I met at the wedding, and she's a nice, down-to-earth girl who has worked hard since young to become a computer programmer in Bangkok. She earns more than I do, as I'm living on a pretty average teacher's wage, but we do ok.

Long story short, this is pretty much how it is for me - I live in a room that costs just 3,200 baht a month, plus bills. I pay the rent whilst my girlfriend picks up the bills, which is a pretty fair arrangement since we use her TV, laptop and on occasion, microwave. I'll be honest, it is 'a room', but it's nice. We have nice neighbours who are quiet and no one here seems at all disrespectful. The people who run the condo are a similar age to myself with a young daughter (I'm 28), and whilst I'm still learning Thai and quite often have that awkward 'nothing to say' moment as I pass by, we know each other well enough to smile and say hello each day and occasionally joke if it's something I can manage, language wise. We have a fridge and a hot shower which I bought last year, and everything, to be honest, that we need. Would I like to live somewhere bigger? Would I like to earn more? Do I stand beneath those beautiful tall apartment complexes in Bangkok and dream of one day living there? Of course I do. But the fact is I came here with nothing and now have something. My budget per month is NOWHERE near anybody who has posted thus far. Honestly, I'm not a clubber, nor a drinker. I don't really enjoy either of those things - which is handy if you wish to save money. But I do manage weekends away often enough, and as my girlfriend has a car we are able to go out for day trips to Chonburi, or Pattaya (if we so wish!) or anywhere in Bangkok without much hassle. I've seen a lot more of Thailand than my budget would appear to afford. I spend around 1,000 baht a week on weekly shopping, if that. I go out for dinner every night, often to local places where the food, to be honest, is the authentic food I love here. I can afford a nice dinner out over the weekend, and have a good, relaxing life. Of course, I'm always on the lookout for that new job, that extra income that earns me well above the average wage, but I'm aware that I am happy in my comfortable and, to be honest, pretty easy going job. And lets face it, who didn't come here to escape that hectic work life and all that comes with it?

My budget per month, honestly? Around 15,000 baht a month. I'm saving 10,000 a month to pay back a sizeable debt to my parents, and still putting enough away to go to Hong Kong for a few days later in the year and take a month off to entertain friends who are coming over before Christmas. 100,000 baht a month is a dream amount for me, and one day I hope to earn that per month just so I can enjoy myself without worry. Of course I worry about my budget, but honestly, life in Bangkok is what you make it. I'm truly happy here - I'm relaxed, calm and pretty content. I'm fully aware that at 28 I need to start earning some serious cash and think about my future carefully, but I didn't come to Thailand with long term plans. It's only now that I live here that I start to see more of a future.

To the OP - girls not looking at you really depends on the girls, and the way you act. There are, despite the bad press, a lot of 'normal' girls here, who just aren't into farang. Some girls stare at us and can't stop, but they aren't everywhere. If you spend a lot of time in places like Pattaya or Nana you could let it go to your head, then be convinced that all girls here love you, but it's just not like that. Some do, some don't, and some are shy around us. I see a lot of Thai girls on my journeys to and from work, and I've seen girls who nudge their friend and point and smile, girls who want to talk to you, girls who are scared of you, and girls who ignore you. Once you get used to it I think you stop looking. Once you stop looking, you just start enjoying your life here, find a nice girl some place where you don't expect to, and leave the ego-trips to those who came here for it.

100,000 bht = 2,000 pounds a month to have a 'quality life' in Bkk???laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Ridiculous,it can be done for much cheaper than that.

Quality is relative ;)

RAZZ

Yeah, relative to the Sultan of Brunei, going by some of these posts. laugh.gif

100,000 bht = 2,000 pounds a month to have a 'quality life' in Bkk???laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Quality is relative ;)

RAZZ

:D Couldn't agree more! Although I can see where people spend their money. I was lucky enough to already know a couple of people here when I moved, including another English friend of a friend. So I was pretty well looked after. I don't really drink, and I'm over the whole clubbing scene. I'm happier going to see a movie or sitting in a chilled beer garden nursing a glass of Pepsi than I am getting 'wasted' and showing myself up. I'm not against people who do that, but it's not my scene and it saves me a whole lot of money. It is harder meeting people if you don't drink, but Thai people seem more accepting of it than Westerners. If I did drink and go to bars here then I wouldn't be able to save anything. Personally I'd like to have money saved up to travel around, that's why I came to the other side of the World, after all!

That said, I fully accept that people have great lives here, and spend a lot of money to be able to go out and enjoy their time. I guess it comes down to personal taste. I have a gym just down the road from me that costs 40 baht a time. It's a small room with a couple of bikes, three treadmills, a bench press and free weights as well as a couple of other machines. It's usually empty when I go, and it's a short walk from my condo. Whilst California Wow! looks amazing, I'd rather save the money for other things.

Living here really does come down to personal choices. It's easy to spend money here, and it's easy to forget how much you're spending. Personally I'd rather save each month than see everything disappearing, but if you have a good job more power to you - enjoy whatever you enjoy doing!

Quality is relative ;)

RAZZ

Family of 4, with two children not yet at school age

Lets see:

Condo: 50,000/month (250sqm, 3 br/3 baht, mid sukhumvit near emporium, nice facilities)

Groceries: 15K/month conservatively, a combo of TOPS chidtlom and Carefore

Expat health insurance: 12K/month

Petrol: 4K/month (car owned outright light city driving)

Utilities: 12K/month (electricity, water, cable, gas)

Lunches: 3K/month per adult (street vendor type near work).

Where are we at?

99,000 per month before you even think about school fees, entertainment, going out and holidays.

Quality is relative ;)

RAZZ

Family of 4, with two children not yet at school age

Lets see:

Condo: 50,000/month (250sqm, 3 br/3 baht, mid sukhumvit near emporium, nice facilities)

Groceries: 15K/month conservatively, a combo of TOPS chidtlom and Carefore

Expat health insurance: 12K/month

Petrol: 4K/month (car owned outright light city driving)

Utilities: 12K/month (electricity, water, cable, gas)

Lunches: 3K/month per adult (street vendor type near work).

Where are we at?

99,000 per month before you even think about school fees, entertainment, going out and holidays.

The OP is not in a family of four though, he's single. Besides even with a family of four 100,000 a month is definitely not a requirement to have a quality life, but of course if someone wants to pay over the odds and live like royalty then they can spend more than 100,000.

The OP is not in a family of four though, he's single. Besides even with a family of four 100,000 a month is definitely not a requirement to have a quality life, but of course if someone wants to pay over the odds and live like royalty then they can spend more than 100,000.

Point taken. Wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest, just wanted to show him the basics of what an 'average' house hold expense can be particularly if you like your little western luxuries, food stuffs and cable TV, then it quickly ads up. If it is a budget for 1, then maybe 60-70K per month. My main contention is that if you want to live like you did in our home (and me and my wife do) then it is going to cost you.

Sure, if you want you house on a Thai estate out in Rangsit, Minburi or on an estate somewhere, then that is fine too. Have lived 'Thai style' and yes, it can be cost effective. I've found though that after a while, people begin to miss the comforts of home. Then you either do two things, you move back, or you pay more to stay to make life bareable.

Point taken. Wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest, just wanted to show him the basics of what an 'average' house hold expense can be particularly if you like your little western luxuries, food stuffs and cable TV, then it quickly ads up. If it is a budget for 1, then maybe 60-70K per month. My main contention is that if you want to live like you did in our home (and me and my wife do) then it is going to cost you.

Sure, if you want you house on a Thai estate out in Rangsit, Minburi or on an estate somewhere, then that is fine too. Have lived 'Thai style' and yes, it can be cost effective. I've found though that after a while, people begin to miss the comforts of home. Then you either do two things, you move back, or you pay more to stay to make life bareable.

Hi,

I am the OP,I would think 50sqm absolute maximum apartment would suffice,I dont intend to spend to much time there,I want to learn thai,work out,jog,learn Salsa and find a girlfriend...

Regards.

Been living in Bkk for 5 years on 30-50k a month.

I do skimp on some things, and splash out on other things.

Budget is wholly dependent on lifestyle. I honestly don't think i couldn't spend 100k a month unless i was out on the town every night or renting a ridiculously priced apartment/girl friend.

this is kind of true, but extras like healthcare, visa runs, vehicle, can easily put you up there. throw in a kid and 100k is nothing. while i dont pay for a girlfriend, a good nanny can knock a fair chunk out of your wallet.

a pretty good rule of thumb is: the more money you have in bangkok, the more money it costs.

If you have a family of four I can easily accept that a budget of 100k or more is a necessity. But to suggest a budget of 60-70k for one person per month is absolute nonsense. If you want the home comforts you could afford in your own Country, then yes, you need a big budget - but moving abroad you have to be willing to make sacrifices, and I think it's naive to think you can basically have your 'home life' in Thailand and still enjoy everything this Country has to offer.

60-70k would be riches for me. I'd be saving OVER HALF of that amount each month without trying. I do take the point of 'the more you have, the more expensive it is' - I have easily spent my extra cash when I come by it, but I think living on a fairly average wage has taught me quite a lot, and that is: save, save, save, all you can. If you want to live in Thailand then chances are you want to SEE Thailand. It's all very well living in a fairly large penthouse if you can afford it, but is all your money going on the apartment and refusing you the chance to see the Country you moved to? (This, by the way, is no attack on young families for whom it is obviously a necessity to have a large place!) I'm basically talking about single people and couples, here. For example, me and my girlfriend both bring in less than 100k together. She affords a car, a condo and breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday without struggle. She still has money left over, as do I. I can save half my wages without much of a struggle. It IS possible. On 60-70k I guarantee you will be throwing away a lot of cash just because you have it. If you are earning that much, then save it, and when it comes to breaks from work or long weekends live like a king whilst barely touching your savings. That's what I love about this Country - I couldn't save back home, but here it is much easier.