Monthly Budget For Life In Bkk

strikingsunset

I'd put a simple life including a visa run, inexpensive trip within Thailand, drinking out (cheaply) 1x a week at about 22k. Girlfriend add 10k for trips, incidentals, restaurants...

Half the fun about living in BKK is sorting out just how to do it cheaply. I find that often the local way is not only the least expensive, but the fastest.

You can find a great flat in the 30sqm range for 6.5K NO PROBLEM.

The vast majority of condos are in fact roughly this size. So you aren't living worse than that lovely Thai bird you met who has a condo at Life.

Thai's aren't impressed by people tossing money around. They like everyone else do seek to position themselves in the stream.

PS: I know not one but two Thai women (35/40), never married and have asked me to find them boyfriends so I am certain if you are serious about finding a good partner - its there!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From responses here you will gather that Bkk can be as expensive or as cheap, depending on your lifestyle and idea of comfort and luxury.

Perhaps another approach for the op might be:

Why not plan out a budget of what u think u can afford (set aside a lump sum for emergency, medical, insyrance, investment, trip back home and such)

What u are left with, give us a monthly figure of what u will have and what u are willing to spend

And from there maybe people can then give u ideas of what's possible?

What kind of rented place u can get where

What sort of food places u can visit

Hobbies, travel, essentials, utilities etc etc

Would that help?

Cheers

From responses here you will gather that Bkk can be as expensive or as cheap, depending on your lifestyle and idea of comfort and luxury.

Perhaps another approach for the op might be:

Why not plan out a budget of what u think u can afford (set aside a lump sum for emergency, medical, insyrance, investment, trip back home and such)

What u are left with, give us a monthly figure of what u will have and what u are willing to spend

And from there maybe people can then give u ideas of what's possible?

What kind of rented place u can get where

What sort of food places u can visit

Hobbies, travel, essentials, utilities etc etc

Would that help?

Cheers

Thanks once more for the all the life experience and wisdom you have taken time out to post here.

Particular thanks to David SL for such helpful info.,

I am really relieved this post did not degenerate into a slanging match.

OP.........Striking Sunset

ps,the budget is 50k/baht

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to reiterate what some other posters have suggested : that if you're halfway decent looking, not scruffy, not unfit and can have some meaningful laughs (that means that you can communicate) with people then you do NOT have to pay for a girlfriend* in Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter.

*Not that there's anything wrong with paying for a girlfriend if that's what you want to do, it's just quite a different game.

Edited by Trembly

LOL at most people paying to have a "Girlfriend" aka, a hooker to accompany you and lie to you.No wonder the country is like this towards to farang, it's people like you idiots that give us a bad rep and a hard time.  I have no problem with paying the odd bar girls, it's nature. But if you are so bad looking / socially rejected you have to include a girlfriend for expenses in your monthly budget, somethings wrong. There is no wonder thais look at every farang as a desperate stupid ATM machine

You can live comfortable on 30k a year, that includes partying every weekend and my apartment has a pool and I pay for a motorbike.

Edited by Bingo66

You can find a great flat in the 30sqm range for 6.5K NO PROBLEM.

30sqm is not a condo it's a broom cupboard! :whistling:

To the OP.

You can live as cheaply or as expensively as you wish.

If like some posters you want to fly half-way around the world to stay in some "cak-hole" in Onnut for 4,500 a month and count every baht, it's not living...it's existing! :blink:

Obviously, most of these these cheap charleys obviously don't know any Thais with decent jobs. Yeah, some recent grads might only earn 15-25k a month. A professional in their 30-40s is on 60k+. And 60+k a month in BKK is an "adequate" lifestyle for a westerner.

120-150k would be very nice.

What do you want to do? How do you want to live?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Thanks once more for the all the life experience and wisdom you have taken time out to post here.

Particular thanks to David SL for such helpful info.,

I am really relieved this post did not degenerate into a slanging match.

OP.........Striking Sunset

ps,the budget is 50k/baht

Wow, thanks! You're more than welcome, I just wanted to chime in with the opinion of someone who is actually living here on a pretty tight budget. Ignore those who tell you you need to spend more money than in the West, they honestly don't know what they are talking about. Yes, they probably live here on more money than they spend in the West, but they don't know what they are talking about in terms of spending sensibly in Thailand. You really don't need a lot, and for your planned lifestyle, 50k is a great budget. I wish I was earning that a month! :lol:

LOL at most people paying to have a "Girlfriend" aka, a hooker to accompany you and lie to you.No wonder the country is like this towards to farang, it's people like you idiots that give us a bad rep and a hard time. I have no problem with paying the odd bar girls, it's nature. But if you are so bad looking / socially rejected you have to include a girlfriend for expenses in your monthly budget, somethings wrong. There is no wonder thais look at every farang as a desperate stupid ATM machine

Then we'll just include you in that list, shall we? What a contradictory statement! If every Westerner came here, worked here and spent some money on the 'odd bar girl' every now and then, would that be better? No, it would be EXACTLY THE SAME. You are adding to it, so I suggest you stop before criticising the rest of the expats. Paying for the 'odd bar girl' isn't nature - you are paying for sex. Last time I checked, sex doesn't cost anything if you're doing it right. Besides, why do you like the odd ones? :whistling:

To the OP.

If like some posters you want to fly half-way around the world to stay in some "cak-hole" in Onnut for 4,500 a month and count every baht, it's not living...it's existing! :blink:

Obviously, most of these these cheap charleys obviously don't know any Thais with decent jobs. Yeah, some recent grads might only earn 15-25k a month. A professional in their 30-40s is on 60k+. And 60+k a month in BKK is an "adequate" lifestyle for a westerner.

Utter crap, and a bizarre statement about not knowing any Thais with decent jobs... I'm sure you have a vast knowledge of these 'cak-holes' which you describe. I live in a condo that costs me 3,200 baht a month, and laugh at those paying over 10,000 baht to stay in a condo smaller than mine with fancy decoration. You sound like one of those who thinks money makes a 'quality life' - but you'd be wrong. I'm glad I live somewhere cheap, it means I haven't developed that belittling attitude that so many of you seem to have.

As for not knowing any Thais with decent jobs, I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend has a better job than you, and she doesn't have your attitude.

The question has already been answered for the OP, but I couldn't let your head stay up your ass without pointing it out.

I recently interviewed Thai candidates for 2 positions in the MNC I work for. Mid level technical roles. I saw easily over a dozen candidates, mostly in low to mid 30's. Every single one of them had salary expectations of >125k a month. The Thais I work with do ok, not great compared to Singaporeans in similar roles but ok. Often they will live with extended families on estates where they buy houses next to each other and extend them to be one big residence. When a middle class family is pooling income it can be a pretty nice existence...flash cars, nice holidays, ipads, designer labels....

There is some utter rubbish on this thread. The demographic on Thai Visa is too spread out give you the right answer for YOU. The income gap between rich and poor foreigners in Thailand that are active on this forum is too big to have a meaningful discussion around this subject.

For me, I am the point in my career where I shouldn't take a drop in standard of living to be here nor compromise on standard of housing and education for my family.

For you and the lifestyle you want to lead, I'd say your original estimate isn't too far wrong.....

To the OP.

Utter crap, and a bizarre statement about not knowing any Thais with decent jobs... I'm sure you have a vast knowledge of these 'cak-holes' which you describe. I live in a condo that costs me 3,200 baht a month, and laugh at those paying over 10,000 baht to stay in a condo smaller than mine with fancy decoration. You sound like one of those who thinks money makes a 'quality life' - but you'd be wrong. I'm glad I live somewhere cheap, it means I haven't developed that belittling attitude that so many of you seem to have.

As for not knowing any Thais with decent jobs, I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend has a better job than you, and she doesn't have your attitude.

The question has already been answered for the OP, but I couldn't let your head stay up your ass without pointing it out.

How is it "utter crap"? And what exactly is "my attitude?" :blink: Perhaps having the temerity to have a different opinion to you? :annoyed: As for my head being "up my arse"? Mmm...

I also think the OP's question is opened-ended...and unless I've gone blind I don't see the word "Moderator" under your avatar???

For your information I've actually lived on Suk 71 by the Mosque in such a one room dump. You seem to be the one with an "attitude" to anyone who chooses and can afford to live differently to you. Jealousy and envy are terrible human traits :bah:

Also, I don't really care about your gf...but if she lives in a 3,200 a month "Palace" I hardly think she's from the cream of Thai Society and troubling the pages of Thai Tatler! :lol:

Plus, as I mentioned before, standards of living are relative...If you're a wannabe "lo-so" Thai "up-to-you" :whistling:

But please don't try and preach to the converted...been there, done that...didn't like it! :P

Finally, I wasn't going to lower myself to your level of personal abuse because of course after living in Thailand "a whole year" you do know it all...perhaps that's why you're a potless, no-mark English teacher stuck indoors on the internet on a Friday night! :lol:

RAZZ

P.S. Trust me...I'm not doing too bad ;)

Edited by RAZZELL

How is it "utter crap"? And what exactly is "my attitude?" :blink: Perhaps having the temerity to have a different opinion to you? :annoyed: As for my head being "up my arse"? Mmm...

I also think the OP's question is opened-ended...and unless I've gone blind I don't see the word "Moderator" under your avatar???

For your information I've actually lived on Suk 71 by the Mosque in such a one room dump. You seem to be the one with an "attitude" to anyone who chooses and can afford to live differently to you. Jealousy and envy are terrible human traits :bah:

Also, I don't really care about your gf...but if she lives in a 3,200 a month "Palace" I hardly think she's from the cream of Thai Society and troubling the pages of Thai Tatler! :lol:

Plus, as I mentioned before, standards of living are relative...If you're a wannabe "lo-so" Thai "up-to-you" :whistling:

But please don't try and preach to the converted...been there, done that...didn't like it! :P

Finally, I wasn't going to lower myself to your level of personal abuse because of course after living in Thailand "a whole year" you do know it all...perhaps that's why you're a potless, no-mark English teacher stuck indoors on the internet on a Friday night! :lol:

RAZZ

P.S. Trust me...I'm not doing too bad ;)

Apologies for the personal abuse, I'm really not that kind of guy, but I was a little 'Razzled' by your implication that anyone who lives in a condo for 4,500 baht or less is living in a 's*** hole'. As you pointed out, you lived in one room once that wasn't very nice, so now you know it all.

But you've shown your true quality now, haven't you? You just personally insulted me, my girlfriend and my lifestyle. You belong in Thailand, you really do. You are quite clearly the cream of the crop.

As for my girlfriend, there's no real point responding to your pathetic comment. She lives with me, and I live in this condo. Why? Because I don't feel the need to spend a ridiculous amount on accommodation until I decide to stay here full time. If I decide to spend the next few years here, and see a future, then I'll rent somewhere nicer. My girlfriend has her own condo elsewhere, but chooses to stay with me. Maybe you aren't familiar with this concept.

So, looks like you did lower yourself to my level of personal abuse, and then some. You've personally insulted me on a level I wouldn't expect to find on these forums.

I never claimed to 'know it all' after a year of living here. I never mentioned, in fact, any subject other than living cheaply. I do know about that, because I'm living cheaply. Clearly you do have the attitude of someone with their head up their ass, with your last remarks. I seriously doubt you're making much of an impact on society, either. I'm an English teacher, yeah, but I enjoy it and come home happy every day. Does money make happiness? No, but it certainly creates people like you.

I wasn't out on a Friday night, and looks like you weren't, either!

EDIT: Just to clear up the jealousy and envy remark... :lol: You obviously haven't read much of this thread.

Edited by DavidSL

Apologies for the personal abuse, I'm really not that kind of guy, but I was a little 'Razzled' by your implication that anyone who lives in a condo for 4,500 baht or less is living in a 's*** hole'. As you pointed out, you lived in one room once that wasn't very nice, so now you know it all.

But you've shown your true quality now, haven't you? You just personally insulted me, my girlfriend and my lifestyle. You belong in Thailand, you really do. You are quite clearly the cream of the crop.

As for my girlfriend, there's no real point responding to your pathetic comment. She lives with me, and I live in this condo. Why? Because I don't feel the need to spend a ridiculous amount on accommodation until I decide to stay here full time. If I decide to spend the next few years here, and see a future, then I'll rent somewhere nicer. My girlfriend has her own condo elsewhere, but chooses to stay with me. Maybe you aren't familiar with this concept.

So, looks like you did lower yourself to my level of personal abuse, and then some. You've personally insulted me on a level I wouldn't expect to find on these forums.

I never claimed to 'know it all' after a year of living here. I never mentioned, in fact, any subject other than living cheaply. I do know about that, because I'm living cheaply. Clearly you do have the attitude of someone with their head up their ass, with your last remarks. I seriously doubt you're making much of an impact on society, either. I'm an English teacher, yeah, but I enjoy it and come home happy every day. Does money make happiness? No, but it certainly creates people like you.

I wasn't out on a Friday night, and looks like you weren't, either!

EDIT: Just to clear up the jealousy and envy remark... :lol: You obviously haven't read much of this thread.

:lol:

In the words of the playground..."You started it" :P And that wasn't anywhere near as insulting as I could be! :lol:

David...whilst there maybe one-roomed places which are perfectly nice...for anyone from "the West" to contemplate living in one for any length of time is beyond me :unsure:

You have by your own admission said you can't afford anything nicer because of your lowly salary. Yes, you know about living cheaply...because you have no other option!!! The OP stated he wanted a 3* or 4* type of life...I don't know what hotels you've ever stayed in but what you're suggesting is surely more of a one-star lifestyle??? :o

As for your gf..I said I don't care about her...you brought her into the debate saying "she has a better job than me"??? So what is it exactly? Teacher??? :lol::D

And what exactly is a better job? Is a teacher better than an O&G dogsbody who earns quadruple? You tell me? I don't judge people by what they earn...I judge them for what they are!!!

Also, whilst I agree, money doesn't make you happy...lack of it obviously makes people like you..those with massive chips on their shoulder! Like I said...you're simply jealous of people who can and are doing better than you....or even those who choose to spend their hard-earned differently.

I don't know what sort of "impact on society" you're making (I pity your students)...but you're certainly making me laugh! I humbly suggest you get your "head out of your arse" and open your eyes. There are many ways to live your life..none of them right..none of them wrong...all just different!

And as for it being a Friday night...At the moment I'm in my home country with my wife who happens to be Thai...we'll be back in a few months...maybe you should start saving now so you can buy us a beer? ;)

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

:lol:

In the words of the playground..."You started it" :P And that wasn't anywhere near as insulting as I could be! :lol:

David...whilst there maybe one-roomed places which are perfectly nice...for anyone from "the West" to contemplate living in one for any length of time is beyond me :unsure:

You have by your own admission said you can't afford anything nicer because of your lowly salary. Yes, you know about living cheaply...because you have no other option!!! The OP stated he wanted a 3* or 4* type of life...I don't know what hotels you've ever stayed in but what you're suggesting is surely more of a one-star lifestyle??? :o

As for your gf..I said I don't care about her...you brought her into the debate saying "she has a better job than me"??? So what is it exactly? Teacher??? :lol::D

And what exactly is a better job? Is a teacher better than an O&G dogsbody who earns quadruple? You tell me? I don't judge people by what they earn...I judge them for what they are!!!

Also, whilst I agree, money doesn't make you happy...lack of it obviously makes people like you..those with massive chips on their shoulder! Like I said...you're simply jealous of people who can and are doing better than you....or even those who choose to spend their hard-earned differently.

I don't know what sort of "impact on society" you're making (I pity your students)...but you're certainly making me laugh! I humbly suggest you get your "head out of your arse" and open your eyes. There are many ways to live your life..none of them right..none of them wrong...all just different!

And as for it being a Friday night...At the moment I'm in my home country with my wife who happens to be Thai...we'll be back in a few months...maybe you should start saving now so you can buy us a beer? ;)

RAZZ

Ah, you're one of those guys. There's really no point in debate anymore, is there?

Firstly, you're convinced I have a chip on my shoulder, which I can't really debate online with someone who has already decided. Secondly, despite having no idea of my financial situation, make jokes about me not being able to afford any better. Thirdly, you insult my teaching abilities. Where else do you want to take this? More personal insults?

There are many ways to live your life indeed - judging people by their bank accounts isn't the best way, though. I admire people who do better than me, and aspire to do better myself, but jealousy isn't something included other than 'I wish I could do that!'. Yes, I'd like more money, but at the moment I'm young and here for a couple of years teaching some lovely students how to improve their English. I enjoy it. I never came here for huge financial awards, but I'm always looking to improve. My girlfriend has worked very hard to get where she is today, and currently works as a computer programmer for a large international company. I admire her for that, I really do. I hope that I can be in a better situation, but I've been here for one year and so far am very happy. That's the most important thing for me, as I really wasn't finding working in England too full of joy.

Still, I can't change how you think, but I would appreciate it if you could tone down the insults - I was rude in my first thread and shouldn't have been, but there really isn't any need to keep it going.

Still, I can't change how you think, but I would appreciate it if you could tone down the insults - I was rude in my first thread and shouldn't have been, but there really isn't any need to keep it going.

David, I don't know what "one of those guys" is...if it's someone who has an opinion and is prepared to back it up with intelligent debate yes. Keyboard warrior, no.

Firstly, you insulted me and perhaps I should not have gone off on one for which I too apologise. However, the thread is not "yours" and there is no definitive answer, just advice and opinions. Of which I gave mine which is as equally as valid as yours, no?

We'll have to agree to disagree, without being disagreeable ;)

RAZZ

P.S. Get saving for that beer ;)

David, I don't know what "one of those guys" is...if it's someone who has an opinion and is prepared to back it up with intelligent debate yes. Keyboard warrior, no.

Firstly, you insulted me and perhaps I should not have gone off on one for which I too apologise. However, the thread is not "yours" and there is no definitive answer, just advice and opinions. Of which I gave mine which is as equally as valid as yours, no?

We'll have to agree to disagree, without being disagreeable ;)

RAZZ

P.S. Get saving for that beer ;)

Thank you. I really do apologise for my silly insult to you in the first place, it was ill-mannered and a bad way to start a debate. Honestly, I don't consider your opinion 'wrong' - I just find it doesn't fit with my own so natural rebel against it.

Thank you for the mature response, and the apology. Please don't feel too much pity for my students, they have a fairly good time under an easy-going teacher like me. I may come across as a bit of a fool over the last few posts, but this side of me is allowed freedom online, and sometimes it gets too much.

When I'm the principal of the school I'll buy you a beer. B)

Let me see

"Apartment 20000 baht ( On Nut area,c 45sqm 6 month contract)"

Your getting ripped off!!!

Make some Thai friends and get them to negotiate an apartment for you

I am paying 13000 On nut 75sqm very nice fully furnished apartment No minimum stay contract 30 days notice to vacate.including monthly community fee.Security pool Gym.

"Utilities 2400"If you run your AC 24/7 you will pay this...We have 2 AC running when needed and our Total Household bills are no more than 5000 inc, power, Internet, water, 2 mobiles and UBC and a cleaning lady @ 1000 P/M every 2nd weekday to do laundry, dusting , bathroom and kitchen.

"Food&Drink 14400 ( not bar girls/fines)"Depends if your talking about eating out every night.. 2 of us buy at Lotus 1 time per month total bill never more than 5000

Including household cleaning utilitys.

Learn to cook

Spending Money 20000

"Depends on what you spend it on"

"Gym 1000"

This is about right

"Girlfriend Support 10000 ( tried to base this on forum comments)"

No comment

"BTS/MRT 5000"

1000 gets you a 45 trip BTS pass I use 90 trips P/M = 2000 p/m 2 trips + every day.

Overall I by no means live a High so Lifestyle I would call it well above average.

But I absolutely sure I would never live this good back home in OZ

and would never have the ability to save as much of my income as well.

85k P/M is allot of money to live on but it is all depending on your intended "lifestyle"

If you intend on just drinking eating, sight seeing and having sex with women who you must pay 10000 p/m to be your "Girl Friend"

Your heading for trouble IMO your better off coming to LOS for "short Time" than permanently living here just to keep your head in reality back home.

Because if you do live here and then one day your money dries up.

You may well end up being just another Frang who "slipped and fell " from a high rise in Pattaya we read about here on TV all too often..