Trip Report

Thongkorn

Just got back from what use to be the land of smiles , We went to Pattaya for a few days, the wife and i after a few stressfully days .She is under the same impression as myself. Pattaya is no fun anymore.We like to walk around a lot, Most of the bars we use to frequent have gone, boarded up, or for sale or changed owners, The girls are older and have bad attitudes, many calling the so called falang bad names in Thai, so that the Falang could not understand them.Soy 7 is dead, You walk down there and its embarrassing , nobody there, maybe the time of year but we don't think so , Eagle bars not the same , Lossy bar too. soy 8, just the same , they are building more hotels down soy 8, It has lost the atmosphere. You can walk along Beach road and nearly all the girls who use to be there have gone, there are far to many lady boys now. there are many Russians Koreans and Indians, yes the tourist statistics are up but they do not go down many soys, I saw only a hand full walking in Lk metro or Syborkhouse, They don't use bars or eat from the street vender's. Walking street is like a river of people, none dare venture into the clubs or bars, Pepermint has gone. some people have children in push chairs.walking down a world famous street full of Lady's of the night. Yes I think maybe its me.We saw many street vender's trying to sell cheap or copy goods for top prices. We went into the new shopping centerer on beach road, must have cost millions to build , marble floors many windows and elaborate decor , yet you go to the toilet and have to put the paper in a bin next to the toilet after you have, well you work it out , you would have thought that trying to attract upper class tourist they would have put proper sewage system in. we spoke to only two people who we have known for years both are in trouble, there long time boyfriends have gone, i would think because of the financial situation, Both are trying to sell there businesses.We tried to look with open eyes and not pass to much depressing views but We think Pattaya has change for us .

As a matter of interest, how long did you live in Pattaya (I assume you lived there as you seem to know it very well!) and how long have you been away? Have you been abroad or just living elsewhere in Thailand? I don't live in Pattaya, and don't know it that well, but pop down there every few months, whilst I've seen it busier, it wasn't that quiet a couple of months ago.

so your wife enjoys wandering around pattayya looking for working girls and going to bars/brothels with you?

It would appear that they used to enjoy walking around Pattaya, do you have a problem with that? Nowhere did he mention that they were 'looking' for working girls or going to brothels. He was commenting that business is not as brisk as in the past and the demographic of tourists has changed.

The tourist demographic has been changing for a while and it will continue to do so. The fact that exchange rates are making Thailand an ever more expensive destination is what starts the rot....its then completed by the scenario Thongkorn was describing, these people look but don't party or buy. Then the whole downward spiral accelerates.

Roamer, I agree, which was why I was interested in the OP's 'timescales' since he last visited etc, what we didn't need is someone apparently 'having a go' at the OP for walking round pattaya with his wife. Has it changed in 1 year or 5 from the OP's perspecive.

As a matter of interest, how long did you live in Pattaya (I assume you lived there as you seem to know it very well!) and how long have you been away? Have you been abroad or just living elsewhere in Thailand? I don't live in Pattaya, and don't know it that well, but pop down there every few months, whilst I've seen it busier, it wasn't that quiet a couple of months ago.

You have a point to make, or just want to raise your post count ?

I too was "bagged" because I wrote a thread similar to the OP in the Pattaya Forum.

I agree with you OP,I think the reason i found Pattaya boring etc is because the bars i too frequented had closed and the many bar owners i loved had left.

I took off to Isaan for a few days last week and loved the people,far different than pattaya thai people.

I lived in Thailand for 14 years, six of those in Pattaya then 2 months ago decided to head back to the UK for a long or maybe permanent break.

I've seen many changes over the years and it got to the point where the flavor had gone and LOS did nothing for me anymore so it was time to call it a day, pack my bags, and head on out.

Maybe one day i'll return but for the moment i'm loving every minute of my time back in the UK after being away for soooooooooo Long.

Make no mistake there is a 'HUGE' 'HUGE' gulf between taking a short holiday in Thailand and living there.

I personally think the OP is correct in what he says.

so your wife enjoys wandering around pattayya looking for working girls and going to bars/brothels with you?

nothing wrong with that, my wife goes with me , go-go,s and all, whats the big deal <deleted> rolleyes.gif the guys asking you about pattaya, not about if its acceptable for his wife to go with him to bars and clubs.

keep it real . btw yes pattaya has changed, ive been back and forward 12 years now and have seen big changes, lots of russian tourists now, mostly families, they dont spend money in the bars, they party in their hotel rooms drinking 40 oz bottles of cheap russian vodka they buy from duty free on the way out, wow i even see russians walking along soi bukaew now which was unheard of 3-4 years ago, you see the odd jap guy in the bars , not too many young single western guys about now, its sad to see most of the bars sold or closed or changed hands, yes there is definately a different feel to the place now from say 5-6 years ago, but the same can be said for everywhere i guess. ladys in bars ? theyve allways changed regularly .

Edited by dmax

Somehow I can feel a difference between 2008 and now, the bars seem empty, and 2008 was already way on the decline.

The "quality" of girls also has fallen, even at places like heavens above - I used to like 4 of 6 girls before, now it's 1 of 6.

I think we can safely blame the economic crisis and then the currency shifts.

Edited by manarak

Somehow I can feel a difference between 2008 and now, the bars seem empty, and 2008 was already way on the decline.

The "quality" of girls also has fallen, even at places like heavens above - I used to like 4 of 6 girls before, now it's 1 of 6.

Actually its way more than that the currency problems, as you pointed out it was on the decline in 2008. Pattaya is simply the first to fall. Whats the betting that the folks who bought you "Benidorm" as a TV series as everything that is naff have a "Pattaya" in their sights ? And even if you escape the satire you won't escape the reality. Thailand was once an exotic place to come to, the world seems a smaller place nowadays and Thailand, or even the perception of Thailand , is no longer the same. The unfettered rush to rip of tourists by every means possible certainly has not helped. When is the last time you heard a good report coming out of LOS ?

Personally I still love LOS, its a wonderful place with great people but then again I no longer bother to visit the beaches. Admittedly you don't go to Pattaya for the beach but the fun element of Pattaya seems to have vanished.

Who knows, one day Pattaya might be able to reinvent itself. But I know I wouldn't like to be holding my breath thinking that a revival in exchange rates (should it happen)is going to bring about a similar revival in the fortunes of Pattaya.

Actually its way more than that the currency problems, as you pointed out it was on the decline in 2008. Pattaya is simply the first to fall. Whats the betting that the folks who bought you "Benidorm" as a TV series as everything that is naff have a "Pattaya" in their sights ? And even if you escape the satire you won't escape the reality. Thailand was once an exotic place to come to, the world seems a smaller place nowadays and Thailand, or even the perception of Thailand , is no longer the same. The unfettered rush to rip of tourists by every means possible certainly has not helped. When is the last time you heard a good report coming out of LOS ?

Personally I still love LOS, its a wonderful place with great people but then again I no longer bother to visit the beaches. Admittedly you don't go to Pattaya for the beach but the fun element of Pattaya seems to have vanished.

Who knows, one day Pattaya might be able to reinvent itself. But I know I wouldn't like to be holding my breath thinking that a revival in exchange rates (should it happen)is going to bring about a similar revival in the fortunes of Pattaya.

What we see today is the product of an eleven year decline; it is not a short term decline. It is the result of a misguided visa/immigration policy (farangs get out we do not need you) coupled with a misguided development policy (trying to turn a mouse into an elephant, so to speak). The situation would be much worse now if not for Russian and Indian tourists, but who knows how long they will stay before they find a better place.

It would appear that they used to enjoy walking around Pattaya, do you have a problem with that?

my guess is that his opinions about the quality of working girls and raunchiness of the bars were probably his own, yet when he wrote it out as if his wife was the one disappointed. seemed a bit odd.

What we see today is the product of an eleven year decline; it is not a short term decline. It is the result of a misguided visa/immigration policy (farangs get out we do not need you) coupled with a misguided development policy (trying to turn a mouse into an elephant, so to speak).

It has a lot more to do with the rotten world economy and the redshirt/yellowshirt troubles than anything else. ;)

What we see today is the product of an eleven year decline; it is not a short term decline. It is the result of a misguided visa/immigration policy (farangs get out we do not need you) coupled with a misguided development policy (trying to turn a mouse into an elephant, so to speak). The situation would be much worse now if not for Russian and Indian tourists, but who knows how long they will stay before they find a better place.

??? Visa and immigration is far easier and smoother now than it has ever been?????

just a thought.

Could the dearth of 'top drawer damsels of the night' have anything to do with the fact that the better looking ones no longer need to work in bars? Whatever is or isn't happening to the economy in Pattaya, the general trend of Thailand's economy is upwards, in spite of all troubles, world recession etc.

During my various trips to Issan over the past year or so, I have seen a noticeable increase in general prosperity, with most families owning at least one pick-up, several shiny new motorbikes and most of the folk are in work or business of one kind or another. Also the infrastructure has clearly improved, with good quality roads,electricity and water services, internet etc. I know there are still many impoverished people in the rural areas, but the numbers have clearly reduced form a decade or so ago. Very few are starving and many girls are no longer desperate to work in bars to keep their families.

I know for a fact that here on the Darkside it is an increasing problem for bar owners to find girls to come and work. I have spoken to a few Thai owners and 'mamasans' and they tell me that they have called their contacts back in Issan and none of the girls want to come and work in bars any more. They all seem to have greater aspirations. The few that do come, are only looking for husbands- not long term work as whores and usually disappear within a month or so, having landed themselves a farang husband.

To me this is quite a natural progression when a country moves from third world to developing world to one with an increasingly buoyant economy and the poverty levels are slowly reduced.

In Victorian times in the UK, the streets of cities were awash with whores, yet now they are restricted to a few 'red light' areas and most women have many choices other than to become prostitutes.

I believe the same is happening here, although admittedly there is still along way to go, so guys don't start panicking. I am sure there will still be plenty around to see me out. I am just talking about a general trend - not a mass movement.

In a similar way there is a general desire by the powers that be to slowly take Pattaya more up market and away from it's seedy image. During this transition there will clearly be some 'growing pains', but that is the price of progress.

Maybe I am wrong- what say you?

It's really beyond me why all these tourists show up on Walking Street and don't even venture into any bars. It's just so stupid.

And I don't know why so many (sex) tourists have left. The exchange rates aren't that awful. Are the western economies in that terrible of shape?

just a thought.

Could the dearth of 'top drawer damsels of the night' have anything to do with the fact that the better looking ones no longer need to work in bars? Whatever is or isn't happening to the economy in Pattaya, the general trend of Thailand's economy is upwards, in spite of all troubles, world recession etc.

During my various trips to Issan over the past year or so, I have seen a noticeable increase in general prosperity, with most families owning at least one pick-up, several shiny new motorbikes and most of the folk are in work or business of one kind or another. Also the infrastructure has clearly improved, with good quality roads,electricity and water services, internet etc. I know there are still many impoverished people in the rural areas, but the numbers have clearly reduced form a decade or so ago. Very few are starving and many girls are no longer desperate to work in bars to keep their families.

I know for a fact that here on the Darkside it is an increasing problem for bar owners to find girls to come and work. I have spoken to a few Thai owners and 'mamasans' and they tell me that they have called their contacts back in Issan and none of the girls want to come and work in bars any more. They all seem to have greater aspirations. The few that do come, are only looking for husbands- not long term work as whores and usually disappear within a month or so, having landed themselves a farang husband.

To me this is quite a natural progression when a country moves from third world to developing world to one with an increasingly buoyant economy and the poverty levels are slowly reduced.

In Victorian times in the UK, the streets of cities were awash with whores, yet now they are restricted to a few 'red light' areas and most women have many choices other than to become prostitutes.

I believe the same is happening here, although admittedly there is still along way to go, so guys don't start panicking. I am sure there will still be plenty around to see me out. I am just talking about a general trend - not a mass movement.

In a similar way there is a general desire by the powers that be to slowly take Pattaya more up market and away from it's seedy image. During this transition there will clearly be some 'growing pains', but that is the price of progress.

No. I noticed that this started happening about 2 years ago when I moved here. Just as the economic and exchange rate problems started. I don't think there is a shortage of bar girls.

No. I noticed that this started happening about 2 years ago when I moved here. Just as the economic and exchange rate problems started. I don't think there is a shortage of bar girls.

What started happening?

Thailand has stagnated over the paste decade in terms of its attempt to escape developing world status. If you look at long-term data, Thailand's economy is anything but "buoyant" and has fallen behind most of the other countries in the region. Poverty is very widespread in Thailand, especially in rural areas. That is one main reason for the anger that underpins the so-called "Red shirt movement." The official economic figures related to economic growth and poverty are BS, similar to the official tourism figures. So, no need to paste them here.

just a thought.

Well put. I think we've seen kinda the same thing in Bangkok. Property got too expensive, and many "bar beer" areas were cleared. Soi 0, behind Cowboy, Soi 10, etc. These businesses are low income earners compared to the potential. In Pattaya, we're seeing them disappear for more hotels...like we need more?

It's really beyond me why all these tourists show up on Walking Street and don't even venture into any bars. It's just so stupid.

And I don't know why so many (sex) tourists have left. The exchange rates aren't that awful. Are the western economies in that terrible of shape?

Because many are with their wives and are there just to look at the show from the street. Wifey was commenting the other day about how many couples she sees now compared to years ago.

And yes, western economies are that bad. :(

And I don't know why so many (sex) tourists have left.

Perhaps because prices are high, quality is low and (above all) the 'hospitality workers' of all types and genders now mostly seem to have an average age of about 40 and look like the back end of a tuk-tuk. I'm not kidding: even I look prettier and younger than many of the ones I've seen whilst walking around over the last few months. I'm probably cheaper and have a better attitude to work, too.

Thankfully I'm not a customer of theirs and so am not very concerned by the apparent drop in quality.