Match.com to check its subscribers against the U.S. sex offender registry

News_Editor

Match.com to check its subscribers against the U.S. sex offender registry

2011-04-19 03:27:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

DALLAS (BNO NEWS) -- Online dating company Match.com on Monday announced it will begin checking its existing and new subscribers against the U.S. sex offender registry, just days after a woman filed a civil lawsuit to seek such a change.

A woman in California had filed the lawsuit last week after she claimed that Alan Paul Wurtzel, who has a history of sexual battery, forced her to have oral sex at her home. The alleged sexual assault happened on their second date, and the woman was not aware of his past.

"He went straight to the bathroom when he came in my place, and I sat down on my couch and waited for him and I didn't know why he ran to the bathroom but that's what he did," the woman, only identified as 'Jane Doe', told KABC-TV. "And then he came out of the bathroom and he jumped me, and then forced me to have oral sex and then he left."

The announcement by Match.com President Mandy Ginsberg did not directly mention the woman nor her lawsuit. "For years we've been periodically evaluating the practicality of conducting these checks in connection with our service. However, their historical unreliability has always led us to conclude against it," Ginsberg said.

Currently, Match.com's Terms of Use Agreement points out it is not conducting background checks and it is not responsible for what happens between members. "You are solely responsible for your interactions with other members. You understand that Match.com does not in any way screen its members, nor does Match.com inquire into the backgrounds of its members or attempt to verify the statements of its members," the agreement reads. "In no event shall Match.com be liable for any damages whatsoever [..] arising out of or relating to the conduct of you or anyone else in connection with the use of the service, including without limitation, bodily injury, emotional distress, and/or any other damages resulting from communications or meetings with other registered users of this service or persons you meet through this service."

Ginsberg said the company was advised in recent days that a combination of improved technology and an improved database now enables a sufficient degree of accuracy to move forward, "despite its continued imperfection."

"We want to stress that while these checks may help in certain instances, they remain highly flawed, and it is critical that this effort does not provide a false sense of security to our members," Ginsberg said. "With millions of members, and thousands of first dates a week, Match.com, like any other large community, cannot guaranty the actions of all its members."

She added: "Match.com is a fantastic service, having changed the lives of millions of people through the relationships and marriages it has given rise to, but people have to exercise common sense and prudence with people they have just met, whether through an online dating service or any other means."

Match.com said it expects the screening efforts to begin within 60 to 90 days.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-19