New Car For Doctor Shot In Bangkok Hostage Drama

webfact

New car for doctor shot in hostage drama

By The Nation

30153374-01.jpg

Dr Pipattra Sailohit, who is recovering from four gunshot wounds incurred in a shoot-out between police and a killer who took her hostage last week, will get a new Toyota Camry, to replace her bullet-ridden car.

Senior police, including the chief of metropolitan police division 1 Pol Maj Gen Wichai Sangprapai, visited Pipattra at Rajavithi Hospital at 1pm and brought former police colonel and Sun Tec Corp executive Ruamnakorn Tubtimthong-chai, plus a Camry catalogue.

The injured doctor chose a silver bronze Camry Hybrid 2.4G worth Bt1.7 million. She also asked for a licence plate with the number 44 or 88, which Wichai said he would ask Land Transport officials about.

Pol Lt Gen Theerayuth Kittiwat, an assistant to the national police chief, said that Ruamnakorn had followed the news and sympathised with Pipattra so he offered a new car to her and her family.

He stressed that this was not a normal situation but had been treated as an individual case, adding that police would try to prevent similar shooting incident in future.

Police admitted on Saturday they probably fired some of the bullets that had hit the doctor.

Rajavithi Hospital official Sukij Panpimanmas said that Pipattra's overall condition improved satisfactorily so that doctors would conduct further checks on her to determine if she needed surgery to remove shotgun pellets from her back and left arm. Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit expected doctors would try to operate to remove the pellets today.

At Police General Hospital, traffic officer Pol Senior Sgt Major Jiroj Boonthongkham was also recovering. He still had numbness in his right thumb and index finger so doctors plan to X-ray his neck to see if that is the cause of the problem, and if he will also need surgery.

In related news, deputy metropolitan police chief Maj Gen Amnuay Nimmano presided over a meeting of 21 investigators into the drama last Thursday. He said police and prosecutors would work together on three reports: criminal offences, a special autopsy due to the extrajudicial killing of suspect Thada Inthamas, and a report on the extrajudicial killing.

Amnuay said the shooting of Thada clearly resulted from the suspect's drug abuse and urged people not to criticise police for overreacting, as they had already tried everything to stop the man, who would have gone on causing damage if he had not been stopped.

He said police would first look at the ballistic report and interview people captured on security cameras. The initial probe would take 30 days.

A taxi driver and a police man were killed, and another policeman run over by Thada after a wild chase from north of Bangkok to near Victory Monument just before noon on April 12. He was shot dead by police in Pipattra's car, which was said to have tinted windows.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-19

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could only happen in Thailand, every day there's something to laugh about.

I do think a bullet proof vest could be thrown in as well.

Not necessary if she gets a 44 or 88 license plate. :rolleyes:

Rajavithi Hospital official Sukij Panpimanmas said that Pipattra's overall condition improved satisfactorily so that doctors would conduct further checks on her to determine if she needed surgery to remove shotgun pellets from her back and left arm. Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit expected doctors would try to operate to remove the pellets today.

Shotgun pellets? Wish her a speedy recovery, hope her new car is bulletproof.....:jap:

Shotgun pellets? Wish her a speedy recovery, hope her new car is bulletproof.....:jap:

Thai Police use buckshot (i.e. shotgun pellets) in hostage situations. I wonder how close they were when they shot her? Amazing Thailand. :jap:

What a great way to end this tragedy. Too bad a limb was not lost, otherwise Kasit could probably offer a benteley with a driver and 1111 plates to flash around.

Instead of tightening and enforcing law strictly to avoid this happening again, he spends 1.7million to make just one person feel better and not the people. Completely overlook the logic behind the cause.

Truly amazing Thailand. Where's the clapping emoticon?:annoyed:

car had tinted windows...so the crazy man could have had the doctor hostage driving the car and have gotten her shot, which she got, by the blind policemen

what was the doctor previously driving? that she could chose a nice 1.7 million baht gift

and indeed, car insurance is there for what ?

and the nice policman paid out from his pocket, big pockets...

Edited by exbelg

doesnt the insurance cover the cost of a new car????????????????? i cant understand why they are giving her a car?

They probably knew it was the cop who shot her in the cross fire. To avoid slander and defammation of facts fired at the Police.

Insurance companies will never pay for the full price of a car unless you are a well known politician, a celebrity, pretty much anyone who has ties that can cause the insurance company to be a credit risk, for regular individuals in lower or middle class can forget about it. Rights are mostly favorbale to the rich and famous.

doesnt the insurance cover the cost of a new car????????????????? i cant understand why they are giving her a car?

They probably knew it was the cop who shot her in the cross fire. To avoid slander and defammation of facts fired at the Police.

Insurance companies will never pay for the full price of a car unless you are a well known politician, a celebrity, pretty much anyone who has ties that can cause the insurance company to be a credit risk, for regular individuals in lower or middle class can forget about it. Rights are mostly favorbale to the rich and famous.

Who said the insurance company should pay the full price - all it needed was a few holes filling in .....................

what was the doctor previously driving? that she could chose a nice 1.7 million baht gift

Previous car was also a Camry. Original topic.

Have to take into account the desire not to drive it anymore due to someone having died in it. Not being funny, just that superstition runs strong in Thailand.

Thai Police use buckshot (i.e. shotgun pellets) in hostage situations. I wonder how close they were when they shot her? Amazing Thailand. :jap:

wow, a quick pay off, even the educated can be bought to make sure they don't sue afterwards.

Have you considered that this educated person perhaps have come to the conclusion that what she was offered is a better deal than what she should get if she had gone the court way?

Note the should get, not would get

Edited by MikeyIdea

wow, a quick pay off, even the educated can be bought to make sure they don't sue afterwards.

Have you considered that this educated person perhaps have come to the conclusion that what she was offered is a better deal than what she should get if she had gone the court way?

Yes I have, and considering I always weigh up both sides I also came to the conclusion that she may have got a better deal by going through the courts. This is a buy off, simple.

Yes I have, and considering I always weigh up both sides I also came to the conclusion that she may have got a better deal by going through the courts. This is a buy off, simple.

How would this case will end up in developed countries? ............. all the cops involved including their seniors will be fired ..

How would this case will end up in developed countries? ............. all the cops involved including their seniors will be fired ..

Northern Europe and the victim would have gotten her old car repainted, compensation consisting of actual loss (salary, phone calls, taxi, lawyers costs etc) and max 5,000 dollars in additional cash compensation

Sounds like she accepted a good deal to me

Edited by MikeyIdea

'educated'? Just 'cos she's a doctor doesn't mean anything.

She'll take the car and go on her merry way. Meanwhile, the same thing could happen again in the future, but this time someone might actually die. Then I guess the royal Thai police will be down at the Mercedes dealership. (Unless the person shot is piss poor)

Apart from this incident, the royal Thai police are perfect. Is this okay, TV?

'educated'? Just 'cos she's a doctor doesn't mean anything.

She'll take the car and go on her merry way. Meanwhile, the same thing could happen again in the future, but this time someone might actually die. Then I guess the royal Thai police will be down at the Mercedes dealership. (Unless the person shot is piss poor)

Apart from this incident, the royal Thai police are perfect. Is this okay, TV?

Are you saying that she should make it HER problem if the same thing happens again in the future???

Why?