Thai Driving Licence

Gra777

They used to issue a red lifetime license a few years ago but soon put a stop to it.

Not sure why.

Only Thai nationals were issued lifetime licences, but as you say that was discontinued quite a few years ago. Don't know why, but those lifetime licences are still valid.

I heard there was a place up near Big C that provides international licences for 20 years after you produce your 5 year thai licence....has anyone heard about this?

Not legal in any country in the world. May get you through a roadblock tho, but most Insurancecompanies faced with a claim will get you.

Each country decides who can issue International lisences.

International lisences based on Thai lisence can be issued by DLT only.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard there was a place up near Big C that provides international licences for 20 years after you produce your 5 year thai licence....has anyone heard about this?

Not legal in any country in the world. May get you through a roadblock tho, but most Insurancecompanies faced with a claim will get you.

Each country decides who can issue International lisences.

International lisences based on Thai lisence can be issued by DLT only.

whats DLT?

and if i am an australian with no australian licence but a full 5 year thai licence can i get the international to drive in my country? P.s Ive never had a full australian licence ever

whats DLT?

and if i am an australian with no australian licence but a full 5 year thai licence can i get the international to drive in my country? P.s Ive never had a full australian licence ever

Interesting question... it's my understanding that if you have a full Thai driving licence then you can apply for an International Driving Permit here in Thailand that would be completely legal in Australia

whats DLT?

Interesting question... it's my understanding that if you have a full Thai driving licence then you can apply for an International Driving Permit here in Thailand that would be completely legal in Australia

I have a friend here who is a singpore resident. she reckons they wont let her transfer to an international licence as she should be able to sit the exam and necessary red tape in singapore as she is still a citizen...another friend of mine from kuwait reckons the same thing, international licences only apply to visitors and not returning citizens..i think its unfair...but knowing nanny state australia i reckon it could be a battle to slip in the back door :)

An International Driving License is only a translation of your home country license and can only be valid for one year. It is also only valid when presented with your original license. Fortunately most Thai Traffic Police are either unaware of this or don't care.

You might find it easier to get a 5 year Thai license in a province other than Phuket, providing you pay a fee.

I heard there was a place up near Big C that provides international licences for 20 years after you produce your 5 year Thai licence....has anyone heard about this?

Bogus and scam. Cops and rental places may still accept them because they are ignorant or lazy. The licenses can look very real. At least in California they train their police officers to recognize these as bogus. Real IDP's are good for max 1 year, are issued to your existing license by the government's transport authority (DMV,LTD etc) or often the government authorized auto clubs.

whats DLT?

DLT= Department of Land Transport.

Like most English speaking countries, if the license is in English and has a picture, it is already an "international license" and is valid until you become a resident of the country you are visiting, or sometimes for a specific period of time. This makes sense once you understand that an "International Drivers Permit (IDP)" is just a translation of your current drivers license. For example I had to use my Thai license to drive legally in California when my California one expired. I did not need or get an IDP from the Thai LTD. It was legal for me to do so until I become a resident of California again. Even though it is my home town and I am a citizen, I was still only visiting. It appears the same it true for Australia:

Please note: If you are a permanent resident visa holder and have a current driver's licence from another country, in English or with an official translation, in most states and territories you are allowed to drive for your first three months after arrival. In Western Australia, the three month period begins when you are granted your permanent residency visa, not when you arrive in Australia.

Source:http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/to-do-first/apply-drivers.htm

In the above paragraph, I would interpret the "If you are a permanent resident visa holder..." bit as a being a minimum. Your a citizen so you obviously don't need a visa. It is so rare that a citizen is in his or her own country but driving on a foreign license that they don't even state it specifically. But I suggest you ask at the Australian Transport Department to be sure.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

An International Driving License is only a translation of your home country license and can only be valid for one year. It is also only valid when presented with your original license. Fortunately most Thai Traffic Police are either unaware of this or don't care.

Well put.

international licences only apply to visitors and not returning citizens..

I don't think that is correct. Licenses largely operate independent to citizenship.

snamos's question, can he drive in Australia on his Thai license, and if so, does he need an IDP, needs to be asked of the Australian Transport Department.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Well put.

I don't think that is correct. Licenses largely operate independent to citizenship.

snamos's question, can he drive in Australia on his Thai license, and if so, does he need an IDP, needs to be asked of the Australian Transport Department.

Ive looked on the Roads and Traffic Authority of Australia's website(s) as I intend to drive in 2 states there....ok i will try to make it as least confusing as i can.

*I am an Australian resident and work offshore but on an Australian payroll so I pay tax there

*i have a multi entry student visa for Thailand which is valid for another 9 months

*I have a 5 year driving licence in Thailand

*Ive never obtained a full driving licence in Australia due to bad parking, driving and especially bad infringement paying habits as a youngster (dont worry i am reformed nowsmile.gif)

Would I be able to get some sort of international driving licence here in Phuket so I can drive in 2 states in Australia? If so where is this office? Is it at the Konsorng in Phuket town? Is there any other places where I could make inquiries in Phuket?

I am aware that Europe and the USA allow foreign licences, this maybe because they border other countries wheras Australia has no land borders therefore people dont cross borders in vehicles regularly.

I will try to decipher the Australian traffic laws about this, but I just thought maybe there might be an example of other people who have done thisjap.gif

Ive looked on the Roads and Traffic Authority of Australia's website(s) as I intend to drive in 2 states there....ok i will try to make it as least confusing as i can.

*I am an Australian resident and work offshore but on an Australian payroll so I pay tax there

*i have a multi entry student visa for Thailand which is valid for another 9 months

*Ive never obtained a full driving licence in Australia due to bad parking, driving and especially bad infringement paying habits as a youngster (dont worry i am reformed nowsmile.gif)

Would I be able to get some sort of international driving licence here in Phuket so I can drive in 2 states in Australia? If so where is this office? Is it at the Konsorng in Phuket town? Is there any other places where I could make inquiries in Phuket?

I am aware that Europe and the USA allow foreign licences, this maybe because they border other countries wheras Australia has no land borders therefore people dont cross borders in vehicles regularly.

I will try to decipher the Australian traffic laws about this, but I just thought maybe there might be an example of other people who have done thisjap.gif

Check: http://www.rta.nsw.g...gid_english.pdf

Briefly: an overseas visitor can drive in Australia (or at least in NSW) using their overseas licence. If it is not in English they need to carry an IDP or an English translation.

If the person is a permanent resident of Australia (e.g. a person immigrating to Australia) they have to take a local test within 3 months.

You say you are an 'Australian resident' - does that mean you hold Permanent Residence? If so, even if you hold an overseas licence, you need to take an Australian test within 3 months of moving to Australia if you want to keep driving there.

Briefly: an overseas visitor can drive in Australia (or at least in NSW) using their overseas licence. If it is not in English they need to carry an IDP or an English translation.

If the person is a permanent resident of Australia (e.g. a person immigrating to Australia) they have to take a local test within 3 months.

You say you are an 'Australian resident' - does that mean you hold Permanent Residence? If so, even if you hold an overseas licence, you need to take an Australian test within 3 months of moving to Australia if you want to keep driving there.

Im a citizen of Australia....thanks for your help. I think the girlfriend might have no trouble, but there might be a problem with me...I think i will just try to hire a car at the airport and see what they say also....hopefully they think im a kiwi.

Hi all. I recently got my International Driving Permit in Phuket as I was going back to USA and no longer had valid US drivers license. If you have a Thai Drivers License you can easily get one. Pay the money(I think 300 Thai Baht), show your Thai license and they will have you come back to pick it up in a few days as it is issued from Bangkok. Valid for one year.

Hi all. I recently got my International Driving Permit in Phuket as I was going back to USA and no longer had valid US drivers license. If you have a Thai Drivers License you can easily get one. Pay the money(I think 300 Thai Baht), show your Thai license and they will have you come back to pick it up in a few days as it is issued from Bangkok. Valid for one year.

where exactly do i show my thai licence and pay the cash? smile.gif

Well put.

But you're not an Austrailian resident, you are a Thai resident. You can only reside in one place. You are a citizen of Australia, which really makes no difference in terms of licenses.

There is no such thing as an international license. There is something called an international drivers permit (IDP) which is what has been described by me and others in posts above, but you don't need one. Your license is already in English. Feel free to get an IDP, it doesn't hurt, but it's a waste of time and money in your case. I am also curious who was paid the 300B. There is, or was, at least one illegal IDP vendor in Phuket. The only place that issues IDP's in Thailand is the Land Transport Department itself.

Yes. The short answer to snamos's question is yes you can drive with your Thai license in Australia for 3 months. Then you will need to get an Australian license to be 100% legal. Adding an IDP that is valid for one year does not change the fact that you will need an Australian license after 3 months.

Hi again,

My wife just reminded me I paid 500 Baht for the International Driving Permit at the licensing office in Phuket-same place you take the Thai Drivers License testing. Just in case you or anyone is interested.

Hi again,

My wife just reminded me I paid 500 Baht for the International Driving Permit at the licensing office in Phuket-same place you take the Thai Drivers License testing. Just in case you or anyone is interested.

She is correct....505 baht...i just did mine in Bkk...a little more of a headache than Phuket as you have to go to the embassy of your country to prove your residency........For all those cheapskates that complain about having to bribe the Thai immigration officers 150 baht in Phuket town then feel free to go to the Australian embassy that charges $20 australian dollars or 640 baht. ( they conveniently get the exchange rate wrong too).

Note: that $20AUS goes towards things like the Australian Federal Police that have a large base here in Thailand that impose western "laws and democracy" and "educate" the Thai officials on how it should be done....me personally I would prefer to give Colonel Somchai with his rubber stamp and medals of valor in Phuket town 150 baht, so he can have a few beers with his mates in the kareoke bar after work. jap.gif