Thai University Accused Of Selling Graduate Teaching Diplomas For Upwards Of Bt30,000

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As everybody in Thailand knows: Not only the university degree is for sale but also the government job or position for which they need the degree is for sale.

to be fair ..............

cop, solider, civil servant, politician are all.... in the set.....

When my ex g/fs brother + another guy they knew applied for the BIB. G/fs father had the right amount of money (I forget how much), the other guy had all the necessary qualifications. Brother passed, other guy didn't.

On an aside note, I remember my father telling me that when he left school and started work as an apprentice Green Grocer? His mother had to pay the shop to take him on, also he had to work for some time without pay. This is in the UK?

jb1

What, no name of the school. With issues like this, there would be full exposure of the University in Question. Name, address, district, name of directory, etc.

But, this is Thailand. If they don't provide the public with more information, but something so vague. How can it possible be true. Wait, this is Thailand.

Education Minister Chinnaworn Boonyakiat has instructed the council and the Department of Special Investigation to crack down on the sellers and buyers of degrees from the country's educational sector.

Is there an election looming? Two crackdowns in one day. Deputy P.M to crackdown on tourism scams and the Education Minister to crackdown on bodgy degrees. Has everyone in power been informed to organise a Crackdown for thier respective portfolios? Oh well it will be business as usual after the election. Haven't heard anything yet on a Crackdown on vote buying.

Thailand the "hub" of crackdowns??:whistling:

This is not the first time some one write about this.

A few months ago was to say about it but even then and even now, nobody will budge a finger to prevent it.

Simply because this government even then and even now and any future, has no time to deal with a "bauble", as it is way how they see it. Damaging the public image and reputation of the country- why any of member of the Government would be concerned?

They are now so intensively about safeguarding their so hard gained positions in government and elections are closer, so nobody has time to deal with anomalies in the society and the decay of social being of Thailand.

Nice indeed.

Education Minister Chinnaworn Boonyakiat has instructed the council and the Department of Special Investigation to crack down on the sellers and buyers of degrees from the country's educational sector.

Is there an election looming? Two crackdowns in one day. Deputy P.M to crackdown on tourism scams and the Education Minister to crackdown on bodgy degrees. Has everyone in power been informed to organise a Crackdown for thier respective portfolios? Oh well it will be business as usual after the election. Haven't heard anything yet on a Crackdown on vote buying.

You are right. It is in purpose of election, part of campaign and nothing else. Just trivial political marketing.

Very cheap trick no one will bite. People are not stupid.

People will give the lesson to this Government in this elections and democrats will be in shock for very long time.

In their arrogance, underestimating natural intelligence of ordinary Thais, poor, they have nose in clouds and no any touch with reality.

Awakening will be very painful.

These degrees sound very expensive, have the buyers never heard of Khaosan road. You can get degrees there from good English and American universities for around 500 to 2000 Baht.

Copies, not actually registered at the University, so a quick check confirms they are phoney, whereas these Thai ones are as genuine as a genuine diploma/degree..bit of a difference, hence the difference in price

Thailand the "hub" of crackdowns??:whistling:

Hubba Hubba :guitar:

As everybody in Thailand knows: Not only the university degree is for sale but also the government job or position for which they need the degree is for sale.

When my ex g/fs brother + another guy they knew applied for the BIB. G/fs father had the right amount of money (I forget how much), the other guy had all the necessary qualifications. Brother passed, other guy didn't.

On an aside note, I remember my father telling me that when he left school and started work as an apprentice Green Grocer? His mother had to pay the shop to take him on, also he had to work for some time without pay. This is in the UK?

jb1

humm................................ everywhere....

only Thailand is outstanding.....

These degrees sound very expensive, have the buyers never heard of Khaosan road. You can get degrees there from good English and American universities for around 500 to 2000 Baht.

Big difference - these degrees are real and can be verified as such.

OOPS! Didn't see a post that means mine is redundant. Solly.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I thought that was the way most positions in Thailand were achieved, put up the money and promotion etc is yours.

Nothing hew here, if it is done at one university/ institution you can bet most are in on it. It's been a way of life here forever.

You don't need brains to get ahead here just cash!

From my Archive

As I said some fifteen year ago about Banharn Silpa-acha and his plagiarized thesis which pointed to the fact that he quoted French-language text despite his limited knowledge of foreign languages. The chief supervisor of Banharn’s thesis, Pokin Potakul graduated with a law degree in France.

Skin as tough as an elephant’s hide, a back as a duck, and an ego as big as the globe. There is absolutely nothing that seems to face him.

Ramkhamhaeng U Student Grade Transcripts after this debacle became unaccepted by Universities outside Thailand. Nothing was done about this. Like so many things in Thailand which Thais refuse to face, Thais simply wait for the wind of time to blow it away. Same will happen with this debacle of people buying Teachers Degrees If you think high-ups who got the position with a bought degree will loose their job? Think again. So the lower rankers will move along in the slipstream. TIT.

The article does cite the name of the "university" in question -- E-Sarn University... But the name is buried way down toward the bottom of the article... Easy to miss...

What, no name of the school. With issues like this, there would be full exposure of the University in Question. Name, address, district, name of directory, etc.

But, this is Thailand. If they don't provide the public with more information, but something so vague. How can it possible be true. Wait, this is Thailand.

:D :D I thought it was normal practice and you could buy any type of degree you like for the right price.

But normal practice includes sitting in on some classes, wearing the uniform and doing lots of shopping in malls. That's the proper way to get a degree in Thailand.

'dunkin2012' timestamp='1303290661' post='436='jimbeam1' timestamp='1303280093' post='4368177']

='dunkin2012' timestamp='1303272978' post='4367900']

'Pops' timestamp='1303272633' post='4367885']

jb1

Actually , that was rescinded in the late forties , when my father took me for a job interview to discus his payment , the owner said they had to pay me a wage which would be commensurate with any abilities shown , my mother was quite relieved as we were quite a poor family .

I have said this before about teachers

@ Universities being pressured into passing students

regardless of scores. I won't name the Uni.

Some are paying? They must be going to a cheaper Uni.

Edited by LindsayBKK

BOUGHT DEGREES

'False'graduates will lose status

By The Nation

30153587-01.jpg

Govt teachers with fake diplomas will be discharged, Khrusapha declares

Graduates from a private university and other institutes will be stripped of their positions if they are found to have bought their teaching diplomas and degrees, secretarygeneral of the Teachers' Council of Thailand, Ongkorn Amornsirinant, said yesterday.

And in a parallel investigation, government teachers or lecturers will also be discharged if found to have falsified diploma documents or obtained them illegally, he said.

Khrusapha - the Teachers' Council of Thailand - is looking into whether more than 1,000 graduates from Esarn University in Khon Kaen province really earned their diplomas through study. It has summoned directors of 24 schools with which those graduates claim to have undergone apprenticeship study to find out whether they physically did so, Ongkorn said.

"The Khrusapha has produced concrete evidence against this university and can take action as drastic as its closure or takeover, as evidence indicates hundreds of graduates did not attend classes or rightly earn their teaching diplomas. Also [many] did not attend the 24 schools, as claimed by the university's management in a statement," he said.

"The number of cases of such buying and selling of diplomas cannot be worked out, as there is only one private university admitting [the practice]. This will lead to further investigation - and more scrutiny is needed to decide if other universities could be found guilty.

"By early next week, possibly on April 25 to 27, all evidence will be compiled and complaints lodged with the Department of Special Investigation for criminal prosecution."

The Office of the Higher Education Commission investigated cases of four graduates who said they had paid up to Bt50,000 for teaching diplomas from Esarn University without ever attending a lecture. The issue has been widely cited in news reports and has been put on the agenda for the meeting of the Council of University Presidents of Thailand (CUTP) this week.

CUTP presiding chairman Prasart Suebkha said initial scrutiny found that Esarn University was guilty but he personally declined to comment. "The CUTP will discuss the issue possibly on Saturday during its meeting and look into it further," he added.

According to statements by the 24 school directors, of 80 Esarn University graduates, none ever attended apprenticeship courses as claimed. A total of 1,349 student graduates from the university are on a list for apprenticeship courses, but no details are available about their diploma types.

However, Esarn University rector Assadang Sawaengnam said he had documentary evidence showing that all 80 students did attend the apprenticeship courses at the 24 schools.

"If they really failed to attend those courses, all they need to do is to attend them at later dates. I signed documents endorsing their attendance because they were processed through the rank and file of university staff," he said.

Senior public prosecutor Somkiat Phaetkhun, head of an investigation committee appointed by Esarn University, said he had obtained all evidence supplied by Khrusapha and could not tell yet whether buying and selling of diplomas was committed.

A joint investigation with the CUTP will be completed in the next two weeks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-21

"Many degree-buyers have now become school directors or executives," she said.

Anybody got any idea where the said university is?:jap:

I believe E-Sarn University is in Khon Kaen, near the city's airport....

Never been there, but seen a sign for them on the highway....

Maybe they'll be changing their name to E-Scam University... :lol:

Yes, it is in Khon Kaen.

Here are the recent graduates from their School of Nursing on campus.

nu_55_20110321_1864446798.jpg

http://www.esu.ac.th/

Edited by Buchholz

Interesting... The investigation, as best as I can read it, is all about students in their teaching-related programs... But obviously, they have "programs" in other fields as well. Here's a translation of the programs listed on their Graduate programs web page.... I guess it's lucky they're not running a medical school up there... :unsure:

A course

Thai

Graduate Teacher Certification Program.

English.

Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession Program

Certificate

Thai

Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession.

Abbreviation

Grad Teaching Profession.

English.

Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession

Abbreviation

Grad. Dip. Teaching Profession

Course.

Required courses.

18 credits.

Optional courses.

3-6 credits.

-------------------------------------------

A course

Thai

Master of Public Administration Program.

English.

Master of Public Administration Program

Certificate

Thai

Master of Public Administration.

Abbreviation

Rnp.am.

English.

Master of Public Administration

Abbreviation

M.P.A.

Course.

Required courses.

21 credits.

Optional courses.

3-6 credits.

Education, free / thesis

6 / 12 credits.

-------------------------------------------------

A course

Thai

1. Master of Education program. Academic Educational Administration.2. Master of Education program. Academic curriculum development and learning.

English.

1. Master of Education Program in Educational Administration2. Master of Education Program in Curriculum and Instruction Development

Certificate

Thai

1. Master of Education. (Educational Administration).2. Master of Education. (Curriculum development and learning).

Abbreviation

1. M.Ed. (Educational Administration).2. M.Ed. (Curriculum Development and learning).

English.

Master of Education (Educational Administration)Master of Education (Curriculum and Instruction Development)

Abbreviation

M.Ed. (Educational Administration)M.Ed. (Curriculum and Instruction Development)

Course.

Required courses.

21 credits.

ptional courses.

6-12 credits.

Education, free / thesis

6 / 12 credits.

-----------------------------------------------

A course

Thai

MBA. Management Branch.

English.

Master of Business Administration Program in Management

Certificate

Thai

Master of Business Administration (Management).

Abbreviation

MBA (Management).

English.

Master of Business Administration (Management)

Abbreviation

M.B.A. (Management)

Course.

required courses.

21 credits.

Optional courses.

6-12 credits.

Education, free / thesis

6 / 12 credits.

รายละเอียดวิชาในหลักสูตร Master of Business Administration (Management)

Supplement the basic courses. (RU).

English for Graduate Studies.

Principles of Economics.

Basic Statistics.

Computers for graduate studies.

Accounting principles.

Core Courses (21 credits).

Organizational Management Integration.

Production management and operations.

Financial Management.

Marketing Management.

Accounting for Management.

Business Research Methods.

Human Resource Management.

Elective courses (12 credits).

Quantitative analysis of the business.

Information Systems Management.

Of entrepreneurship.

International business management.

Strategic Management.

Management standards.

Managerial Economics.

Planning and project management.

Management Seminar.

Thesis for Plan A (12 credits) or independent study for Plan B (6 credits).

-------------------------------------

A course

Thai

Master of Accounting Program.

English.

Master of Accountancy

Certificate

Thai

Master of Accountancy

Abbreviation

Economics

English.

Master of Accountancy

Abbreviation

M.Acc.

Course.

Required courses.

18 credits.

Optional courses.

9-15 credits.

Education, free / thesis

6 / 12 credits.

Detailed costs. For graduate students.

* Graduate Teacher Certificate (Grad).

Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession Program Fees pay 33,600 Baht

* Program Master of Public Administration (MPA).

Master of Public Administration Program Fees pay 114,600 Baht

* Program: Master of Education (M.Ed.).

Master of Education Program in Educational Administration Fees pay 99,000 Baht

* Master of Business Administration (MBA).

Master of Business Administration Program in Management Fees pay 107,200 Baht

* University reserves the right in case of changes in costs. This will tell the students know in advance next

Conditions apply.

* New graduate students pay a minimum fee 5,000 Baht* Application Fee 300 Baht* Application form contains a copy of ID card or government official. Copy Transcript undergraduate four 2-inch photo cards and other (if any).

Buying Guide can write a thesis. Graduate School of Finance Room price per copy 150 Baht

http://www.esu.ac.th...&id=45&Itemid=6

Yes, it is in Khon Kaen.

The Teachers' Council of Thailand will be discussing with the Office of Higher Education Commission (OHEC) as to what punishment should be meted out to the university that sold degrees and diplomas.

The harshest punishment would be to close down the institution.

The Nation - April 22, 2011

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/04/22/national/Punishment-discussed-for-rogue-university-30153673.html

And the plot thickens... Now it's not just education degrees, but apparently other bogus degrees (in other subjects) as well.

From The Nation article cited above:

Ongoing investigation has discovered that the university did not just sell graduate diplomas for teaching, but also master's and doctorate degrees in different subjects. Apparently, a master's degree costs more than Bt50,000.

An education official at a tambon administrative organisation in the Northeast yesterday revealed that she was putting together Bt200,000 to purchase a doctorate from the university.

And the plot thickens... Now it's not just education degrees, but apparently other bogus degrees (in other subjects) as well.

Ongoing investigation has discovered that the university did not just sell graduate diplomas for teaching, but also master's and doctorate degrees in different subjects. Apparently, a master's degree costs more than Bt50,000.

An education official at a tambon administrative organisation in the Northeast yesterday revealed that she was putting together Bt200,000 to purchase a doctorate from the university.

I hear Thailand want to build nuclear power stations. How much for a degree in nuclear physics? I thought I might apply for a job.

I wonder if Thaksin paid for his master's degree in Criminal Justice and doctorate in Criminal Justice:

He received a master's degree in Criminal Justice from Eastern Kentucky University in the United States in 1975, and three years later was awarded a doctorate in Criminal Justice at Sam Houston State University in Texas. Returning to Thailand, he reached the position of Deputy Superintendent of the Policy and Planning Sub-division, General Staff Division, Metropolitan Police Bureau, before resigning in 1987 as a lieutenant colonel. His wife, Potjaman Damapong, is the daughter of a police general.

Source: Thaksin Shinawatra

I hear Thailand want to build nuclear power stations. How much for a degree in nuclear physics? I thought I might apply for a job.

Now that is not even funny.. Shudder the thought. Oh what does this button do.

I wonder if Thaksin paid for his master's degree in Criminal Justice and doctorate in Criminal Justice:

He received a master's degree in Criminal Justice from Eastern Kentucky University in the United States in 1975, and three years later was awarded a doctorate in Criminal Justice at Sam Houston State University in Texas. Returning to Thailand, he reached the position of Deputy Superintendent of the Policy and Planning Sub-division, General Staff Division, Metropolitan Police Bureau, before resigning in 1987 as a lieutenant colonel. His wife, Potjaman Damapong, is the daughter of a police general.

Paid?

let's look at his English literacy......... then............................. i doubt....

what 'd you see there? comatose..........

I'd like to stress that this university, Esarn University, is NOT the main Khon Kaen University which is known as KKU and is a highly-regarded university.

Esarn University is out of Khon Kaen city, past the airport, on the road to Manchakiri and is a small private university.

Paid?

let's look at his English literacy......... then............................. i doubt....

what 'd you see there? comatose..........

To mention Thaksin Shinawatra, a Masters-and a doctorate top police and colonel--Did you here his Spoken English....Not very dandy-hey what old sport-jolly hockey sticks. He had no hope Internationally comunicating to western leaders.

Yes, it is in Khon Kaen.

According to the other paper, E-Sarn University Council yesterday suspended the university rector, the graduate school dean, the deputy graduate school dean, the registrar's assistant, and other university executives from duty immediately and indefinitely due to their involvement with the sale of fake professional teacher certificates.