Udon Police Central?

glomp

I have been driving around udon to learn finding my way around and looking at the things there is to see. I have noticed there is always a cackle of boys in brown in a lot of street corners stopping traffic handing out tickets.

Is it always so many cops around in town hounding traffic?

You can often find them hiding out behind the bushes outside Fuzzy Kens/Momo Sushi, waiting for farangs to come out of Nutty park for the old No Helmet ticket. Had quite an amusing video of one hiding behind the bush, then trying to tackle someone that was driving past without a helmet - he inevitably missed, but a halarious video all the same.

In my first trip to Udon, I did a runner from a BiB for not wearing a helmet - my friend (Thai) was also not wearing a helmet. She went ne way on the bike, I went down an alley on foot. He did not manage to catch me, the power of Chang! Not something I would do now, but an amusing memory.

The only other place you can find Udon Police, is inside the Thai Karaoke Bars late at night having a drink. Had a drink with the Boss of Udon Police in November, a very nice (if not highly intoxicated) man. Was most amused to meet a young Farang who he could speak to in Thai, and interested in my job working with CCTV with the NZ Police and Transport Authority. Perhaps it was the idea of better positioning of his staff that CCTV could bring to Udon, to catch all those Farangs without helmets!

Must say though, some of the "tourists" in Udon now are not the nicest, probably not well suited to the really nice permanent resident Farangs of Udon and the Thai Bar owners, who are the nicest I have seen around Thailand.

HELMETS..............HELMETS................HELMETS

Yep, Helmets, Licence and Vehicle Tax...All affordable & all easily available.

I have been stopped many times for checks and never asked for a Satang.

Nothing new. Common practice within a police state.

By police state I assume you mean them bringing to task those who do not comply with the law...

Nope. That's not what I meant. Figure it out yourself.:jap:

Yes , Udon has a truckload of policechecks . They do happen at certain points and certain times though , so you can avoid them if you want . Helmets , lincense and registration are the thing they ask for . If you are driving a car , seatbelt .

I do not know that my international license is valid for them , as i avoid the policestops at any cost anyway ( stay in moo barn ) .