Medical Insurance

Miami Bob

Does anyone know of medical insurance available for expats that only covers you in Thailand and therefore with a lower premium than plans like BUBA with world wide coverage? For example, does Bangkok hospital have a "in house" plan that is usable only within the Bangkok hospital network? I have a retirement visa and do not work in Thailand.

Miami Bob,

Check out AIA, Thai health and also your local bank..they all offer health insurance farang or not.

Hospitals offer their own membership discount schemes ..usually between 10-15% off the normal price ..not sure if farangs can take advantage of this though.

I don't know why you are turned off by Bupa. If you look at their civerages in Thailand comparing the premiums to how old you are, the coverages are very good. The best thing about Bupa is they pay direct.

For young and middle aged people the premiums are extremely reasonable. For older people they get a little expensive, but is still well worth it. I use Bupa for my family of 3, and have shopped all the companies in Thailand and have found Bupa to be the best.

Barry

I still have to understand what BUPA or any local insurance would ever pay for you unless you were with them long enough and went through, say, an open heart surgery or something else unlikely to happen.

My thickness was reinforced when we went to the BUPA's office at the Convent Road. A nice brochure, coffee and beautiful representative but other than us paying (70K per year) there was nothing they would ever do for us. With their excess payment rules, almost nothing daily you would ever need and get refunded.

Turned it down.

Guest endure
I don't know why you are turned off by Bupa. If you look at their civerages in Thailand comparing the premiums to how old you are, the coverages are very good. The best thing about Bupa is they pay direct.

For young and middle aged people the premiums are extremely reasonable. For older people they get a little expensive, but is still well worth it. I use Bupa for my family of 3, and have shopped all the companies in Thailand and have found Bupa to be the best.

Barry

Is that BUPA Thailand or BUPA International you're talking about?

Bupa in Thailand. It depends on what level of coverage you choose. thier are four different levels. The insurance only covers you n Thailand, but the Platanum and gold levels will pay up to one million baht to evacuate you in case of serious illness. We have the platanum level. I am 60 yrs old, and for myself, my wife and our son the in patient coverage costs me 33000 baht per yr. My son was in the hospital for two days with bronchytis, 20,000 baht. I had to pay 80 baht. My wife was in the hospital one day with a stomach problem, 6,700 baht. so as you can see they already paid 26000 baht this yr. Now neither of these illneses were serious. Think if something serious happenned.

Barry