Thai, Cambodian Troops In New Border Clash

webfact

Some posts have been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly time to keep the Passport in your jeans 24/7 again.

Is that what you've been hiding down there, to think I thought you were just happy to see me.

Be safe, remember how highly trained some of these individuals walking around with weapons are wink.gif

He also added that the Thai government has always made attempts to reduce tension at the border, and that the government will investigate details before taking any action.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-22

footer_n.gif

He also added that the Thai government has always made attempts to reduce tension at the border, purchasing more and more weaponry, stationing more and more soldiers there, flying over Cambodia with their war airplane, torpedoing any Cambodian effort to bring peace, giving the Thai army the real power in the country, refusing Cambodia to list a temple they have on their territory, etc.

Ah, so that's where those submarines are......torpedoeing any Cambodian effort to bring peace.

PM Assures Thai Soldiers Did Not Start Border Clash

The prime minister assures that the fresh clash between Thailand and Cambodia soldiers at the border in Surin province this morning was not initiated by the Thai side.

He has assigned the Foreign Ministry to clarify this issue with the international community.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he has received a report that the gunfight between Thai and Cambodian troops close to the Ta Muen Thom and Ta Kwai temples in Panom Dongrak district of Surin province, has ended after erupting at around 5 A.M. this morning and continuing for a few hours.

He said Thai officials are investigating the details of the incident and he has ordered PM's Office Minister Ong-art Klampaiboon to oversee the well-being of locals who have been evacuated out of the area for fear of stray bullets.

Abhisit believes the clash occurred because of the close proximity of the two countries' forces along the border, which most likely led to a misunderstanding with any mobilizing of troops. However, he affirmed Thai forces did not fire first.

Deputy Prime Minister on national security Suthep Thaugsuban said he has not been given the details of the fighting yet as the army chief is in Laos on a working visit.

Suthep reckoned a misunderstanding caused the armed confrontation but he will wait for confirmation on the issue from the Second Army Region chief.

Suthep admitted tensions between Thailand and Cambodia concerning the Preah Vihear Temple might have contributed to this latest incident but assured that authorities are trying to relieve the tensions and are arranging for border talks.

Acting Government Spokesman Panitan Watanayagorn said the PM has asked the foreign minister to clarify with the international community that Thai troops did not violate Cambodian territory and only opened fire on Thai soil in response to an attack from Cambodia.

Panitan said this clarification is necessary to ensure that the incident would not affect Cambodia's planned proposal of its management plan for the Preah Vihear Temple to the World Heritage Committee meeting in June.

He added that both sides' officials in the area are holding talks while assuring that the issue should not spur Indonesia, as the ASEAN chair, to speedily send in representatives to the border area to observe the situation.

Panitan said all locals have been evacuated out of the area but he was not sure if authorities have been able to access the clash site yet.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-22

footer_n.gif

" Locals have been evacuated ( again ) so as to avoid STRAY BULLETS " -- sir, bullets don't make the kind of noise we've been hearing today. I live about 30kms from conflict, and we can feel the air displacement even this far away. How many people still have to be killed, lose their homes and be continually evacuated every time someone decides to ' pull the trigger ' ? The convoy of " official " vehicles came past our house this afternoon, interspersed with ambulances presumably carrying injured people. Isn't it time someone does something constructive about the situation ? Until that time, like so many others on this forum, I'm ready to ' exit stage left ' should things worsen. Hopefully not.

ThailandCambodiaClashApr22-621x372.jpg

Thai soldiers help carry their comrade injured in a fighting with Cambodia onto a pickup truck at a village in Phnom Dongrak district of Surin province, northeastern Thailand, Friday.

AP

Amazing--a pick-up to carry away a young brave soldier, Havent they got any ambulances near -at hand in case of injuries ??? what if he was bleading to death-no para medics paying out terrific amounts of money to top brass officials, and an old pick-up to cart the lad away.

I did see where it said Thai troops were spotted inside Cambodian area, I would assume that the Cambodians opened fire, but the news I saw said no one new who first started firing.

PM Assures Thai Soldiers Did Not Start Border Clash

Deputy Prime Minister on national security Suthep Thaugsuban said he has not been given the details of the fighting yet as the army chief is in Laos on a working visit.

excuse me?

seriously?

Edited by Ricci

very strange situations developing since yesterday. TV blackout, a very unusual, strong and concentrated military exercise and now the border clash ... hmm ...

Not strange for us that live in the nearby vicinity. We've been witness of {military} air and ground movements for months on end.

Stop fighting.!! Without politics, none of this would happen. First the politicians went there for a stroll, ENTERING Cambodian land, getting caught, and causing tension. If they were on the demarcated zone, I don't think they would be caught. Those villagers have lived in demarcated zones and 'sharing' the disputed land in peace and harmony, until the nosey politicians went in for a stroll and stirring things up. Now the country is in deep trouble. We, the taxpayers have to cough up our tax to arm the country instead of improving it. I blame no one. Only the politicians. What heaven this country would become without politicians.!

well if only the Thais had accepted monitors in the area the nasty cambodians would not have attacked, well I say attacked, it appears now after all the reports that the cambodian fired the first shot to not be true, we know hear they strayed too close to the thais, so it seems likely the thais fired the first shot.

Observers in the area would stop all of this nonsense, cambodia want them, thailand don't, you do the maths.

Obviously you are unaware of just how far away this is from the Preah Vihear temple. Perhaps you could do the maths.

Or were you under the impression that Indonesian monitors would have been placed along the entire border measuring hundreds and hundreds of kilometers.

As for your "now after all the reports that Cambodian fired the first shot to be not true"... is untrue.

does it matter? so you think the Cambodians started the firing when it has been admitted that the thais said they went too close to the thais??? get them thai glasses off

Stop fighting.!! Without politics, none of this would happen. First the politicians went there for a stroll, ENTERING Cambodian land, getting caught, and causing tension. If they were on the demarcated zone, I don't think they would be caught. Those villagers have lived in demarcated zones and 'sharing' the disputed land in peace and harmony, until the nosey politicians went in for a stroll and stirring things up. Now the country is in deep trouble. We, the taxpayers have to cough up our tax to arm the country instead of improving it. I blame no one. Only the politicians. What heaven this country would become without politicians.!

heh, I too hate politicians!

But I know no alternative that works.

Regarding the clashes, I guess they keep Seh Daeng's former bothers-in-arms, the men in black, busy, and the clashes also provide an issue distracting from other issues and offer an opportunity to gain face...

A small mock-up war where politicians on all sides win, the losers, as usual, are the small people.

"I think Cambodia wanted to take over temples on the border," he said.

What nonsense! Really.

I wonder if the Thais used cluster munitions again against Cambodian troops?

Yes, and I wonder about the casulties on the Cambodian side too. If this keeps up, I fear it could get a whole lot worse before it gets any better.

It'd be nice if both sides could come together to get the area cleared of landmines so they could eventually get the demarcation done.

Edited by PhoenixRising

This is another example of, you can not trust the Cambodian Kamer Rouge government. All the senior politicains were Kamer Roughe killers installed by the Vietnamese. The Cambodian soldiers are what remains of the kids that killed family members,

*off-topic remarks deleted*

Thanks for the updates by those TV members living nearby. Stay calm and save. Good luck and good night. :coffee1:

Edited by Scott
off-topic remarks deleted

UPDATE

Border clashes erupt agaIn

By The Nation

30153755-01.jpg

Foreign Ministry, Army blame intrusion for latest bout of fighting, leaving 4 soldiers dead; Supreme Commander sees Cambodian ploy to hasten stationing of observers on border

Thailand and Cambodia traded diplomatic salvos yesterday evening after a new border skirmish left several people dead and prompted a massive evacuation effort on the Thai side.

Four Thai soldiers were killed and 13 others wounded in the clash that broke out with Cambodian troops on the border of Surin province. After 20,000 Thai villagers were evacuated to safety, the Foreign Ministries on both sides opened a diplomatic row, with Thailand accusing Cambodian troops of launching "unprovoked attacks".

The gunbattle began at dawn at Temple of Ta Kwai in tambon Bakdai in Phanom Dong Rak district between patrols from both sides with small arms used, before artillery fires from Cambodia began, and the areas of fighthing expanded to Temple of Ta Moan Thom in tambon Tamiang. The fourhour gunfight ended at 10.30 am, through mediation between local commanders.

Yesterday's skirmish was a second after a gunfight near Preah Vihear Temple in Buri Ram in February, which saw a number of Thai soliders and civilians killed and wounded. The Foreign Ministry said later the clash was prompted by Cambodian troops' trespass into a 100metrewide buffer zone.

"What happened will not affect ongoing ThailandCambodia Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) process," said ministry spokesman Thanee Thongphakdee. Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said he hoped that the fighting would not worsen or expand, nor would it had any affect on a World Heritage meeting in France in June.

Supreme Commander General Songkitti Jakkabart said the gunfight was a ploy by Cambodia to hurry up involvement of Indonesia observers, who have been bound to take part in demaraction and working out dispute over Preah Vihear temple.

The fallen and wounded soldiers were attached to three local companies of paramilitary Rangers under the Suranaree Taskforce.

In a Royal Thai Army statement, the fight began after a group of Cambodian troops entered the restricted zone and were digging foxholes. They opened fire on Thai troops who told them to stop and withdraw. The artillery fires then came from Cambodia and there was an exchange of them, which had reduced and stopped by around 8 am. The smallarms gunfights continued sporadically until 10.30 am, said Colonel Sirijan Ngathong, a deputy spokeswoman.

As a result of the fighting, Chong Chom border pass in Surin province had been ordered closed by the Army, starting at 10am on Monday. Cambodian troops have reportedly moved heavy weapons to an area near Temple of Ta Kwai two days ago.

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong has sent letters on Friday to the United Nations Security Council and Indonesia, the current chair of Asean to draw attention of the international and regional community to the latest clash between Thai and Cambodian troops, Xinhua reports.

The clash reoccured just more than two months after the deadly clash on Feb. 47 at the border disputed area next to Preah Vihear temple, the World Heritage Site. Cambodia claimed that Thai troops have trespassed and staged an attack on the base of Cambodian troops along the border from Ta Krabek temple to Chhub Koky in Oddar Meanchey province at about 6 am.

Cambodian defense ministry's spokesman Lt Gen Chhum Socheat said in a morning briefing that since early this morning up to now the fighting still continues after Thai side took a short pause at around lunch time.

He did not give the official number of casualties at the briefing. However, Neak Vong, the deputy commander of brigade 42 at Ta Mon Thom temple, told Xinhua by telephone that the interim figure recorded that three Cambodian troops were killed and one was injured.

Thailand's Foreign Ministry said in a statement Cambodia had launched "unprovoked attacks". " Thailand protest in the strongest terms the unprovoked armed attacks on both Thai military and civilians, and the construction of the bunkers which is a clear violation of international law, the Charter of the United Nations, as well as the 2000 Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Thailand and the Government of Cambodia on the Survey and Demarcation of Land Boundary," the statement said.

"Thailand reaffirms its commitment to resolve any pending boundary issues peacefully and calls on Cambodia to resolve the dispute through the existing bilateral mechanisms."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-23

Yep,

they have started it again, but with even more verosity....06.20 am....2nd morning in a row my house is shaking...big artillary....NOT hand guns....this is serious stuff, large amount of evacuees held up in goverment buildings just outside prassat...

As i type this the house is shaking and locals out watching, and standing still on the soi...crumbs

Yesterday's skirmish was a second after a gunfight near Preah Vihear Temple in Buri Ram in February

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-23

Someone please give the idiots at The Notion a geography lesson please.

But more importantly, yep as Buckaroo just said, it's started again about 6:15, appears to be over a wider area this time.

Yesterday's skirmish was a second after a gunfight near Preah Vihear Temple in Buri Ram in February

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-23

Someone please give the idiots at The Notion a geography lesson please.

But more importantly, yep as Buckaroo just said, it's started again about 6:15, appears to be over a wider area this time.

Is it bad in ban.k..t, C...thats where my misses folks are from..

strong exchange of artillery fire.

20 to 30 shot can be heard each minute, without a break.

a series of thai shots.....then a series of khmer shots.

heavier stuff than yesterday. our windows are shaking after every shot. 20 kilometers away.

perhaps they use 105mm or 135 mm now......yesterday only 35mm......

.....time to get worried :-((

Do stay safe and if you need to leave the area do it fast :o

heavier stuff than yesterday. our windows are shaking after every shot. 20 kilometers away.

Yep, for sure..a lot more intense than yesterday..........non stop.....body count will be way up today, just moved the car out of the carport for fear of tiles rattling off.......hard hat anyone.

Just spoke to BM Fatfather on the mobile, his internet connection is down (CAT CDMA) but it is much closer to him this morning, i.e. further west, he is getting ready to evacuate his family, I'm a little bit west of him and contemplating the same thing.

6:53 and the explosions are still going off.

Just spoke to BM Fatfather on the mobile, his internet connection is down (CAT CDMA) but it is much closer to him this morning, i.e. further west, he is getting ready to evacuate his family, I'm a little bit west of him and contemplating the same thing.

Nip in to moo 5 and pick up MIL and FIL, on your way out please, but dont bring them here not safe either..

Better to leave now and enjoy life to the fullest than stay and die :(

Thailand and Cambodia in fresh border clash

_52307140_jex_1025465_de27-1.jpgClick to play

More than 5,000 people are to be evacuated along the Thailand and Cambodia border

Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

At least six soldiers are reported to have been killed and several wounded in fighting between Cambodia and Thailand over their long-disputed border.

The clashes erupted near Ta Krabey temple, which both sides claim. More than 5,000 local people are to be evacuated, officials say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-13167455