British Tourist Robbed And Injured

britmaveric

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an American,  Slim. A very proud American. That said, let me assure you that tipping, like all other human behaviors, is really not a "nationality" issue. There are a lot of "cheap" Americans.  I agree that, as a very broad generalization, Americans tend to tip more than most other nationalities. But, we have to recognize that Americans have the good fortune to have more than most other nationalities.

We are, as a nation, more generous than others when a disaster strikes anywhere in the world. We should be. We have more to give.

We have, as a nation, more volunteers working around the world to help those in need. Again, we should be. We have more people with the wealth to give part of their lives to others without sacrificing all that we have.

Now, granting all of those advantages, I must also add that Americans, in the vast majority, are the most generous and giving people in the world because we believe that all men are created equal. We believe that all are endowed with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Those words are much more than quotes from an historic document. They are, in fact, felt within the heart of most Americans.

There are no better people in the world than the American people.  There are,  most certainly, times when the American "government" takes actions that do not support the true feelings of those principles. But, I assure you, the overwhelming majority of the American people have those principles in their hearts!

George

I can see that you are indeed a proud American Pat. Unfortunately, as in most cases with my interactions with Americans, you have come across as extremely "arrogant". To say things like "There are no better people in the world than the American people" and "But, we have to recognize that Americans have the good fortune to have more than most other nationalities". How many people in America actually have a passport and have travelled outside of the USA? I know that you are in the minority, in that you have actually been outside of the USA and yet you still think the above is true :o Just step back a little and read your post again but this time try to read it as a "third party" and see what conclusion you would come to, as a stranger reading a post like that.

I have had the pleasure of going to Soi 6 on 2 occasions and on one of those occasions a katoey being very careful not to be seen by the bar girls etc. who work at the bars in the Soi called out to me from a dark alley.

When I ignored her she called out "free sex", at which point I laughed and kept walking thinking she probably had a few friends ready to relieve any person naive enough to wander in their of wallet etc.

That was at about 8pm at night, so it pays to be a little bit vigilant. :o

hey you missed 1 thing out of your list of why the americans are the best. your the best at destryoing the global atmosphere. your the worst country with the biggest pollution abd bush wont sign the agreement because of his friends in the indusstry.

NAKA & DAN TWILLY

The reason we perform this strange custom of tipping the person who is serving us is simply because of the fact that they are serving us and nothing more!

Sorry but I don't know how to explain it any clearerer than that.

It's what we yanks call a "no-brainer". I'll explain that one later.

As for the poor cold gutter sweeper you're worried about, -why don't you buy him a cup of coffee and maybe something for his kids at Christmas. That would be decent.

NAKA & DAN TWILLY

The reason we perform this strange custom of tipping the person who is serving us is simply because of the fact that they are serving us and nothing more!

Sorry but I don't know how to explain it any clearerer than that.

It's what we yanks call a "no-brainer". I'll explain that one later.

As for the poor cold gutter sweeper you're worried about, -why don't you buy him a cup of coffee and maybe something for his kids at Christmas. That would be decent.

Perhaps we could all beg to differ by accepting that tipping protocols differ from country to country and from area to area and from establishment to establishment within countries? :D

Should you visit a 'local' type pub in the UK and give one of the bar serving staff a cash tip, you would most likely end up wearing your drink as you were asked who the h.ell you thought you were. :o

There again, asking the person if they would like a drink would be perfectly acceptable.

Well, the above certainly was the case over a decade ago...

Conversely, my recollection of bars in the US suggests that if you do not tip the bartender then you had best go elsewhere if you want another drink.

Let's call it 'cultural differences', hmmm? :D

Speaking personally on the subject of tipping in Pattaya, if a restaurant automatically includes a 'Service' charge, then my tip will be limited to the dross that I cannot be bothered to pick up. Otherwise it would depend upon the quality of food and service.

I see no reason to reward people for doing the job for which they are paid unless they do it noticeably well.

Bars can be different, particularly if one is a regular, but if a bartendee/server is surly or inattentive, the level of tip will reflect the fact.

Why should tipping be automatic?

TIPS

To Insure Prompt Service

I think actually started prior to your night out when you tipped the valet who insured your car was parked and you were met greeted and seated and staff were attentive to your needs.

One of the reasons why we have bar tabs is to basically allow loose change to be returned ans the customer would return same as he/she did not want a pocketful of change.

This is a topic all in itself.

K. kee nee ow

NOEL--

I agree that tipping for bad or surly service wouldn't feel good.

In the U.S. everyone knows that anyone who works in the service industry and is making tips does not get even the normal minimum-wage salary. The hourly pay is just above $2 per hour. This is the law. Others such as taxi drivers get no base pay at all. It's all commission.

Maybe the workers in england make a living wage and tips are just gravy?

At any rate, those of us who can afford the luxury of eating out, barring, taking cabs, staying in hotels, etc., are well aware of the fact that servers depend on tips to pay the bills. A little bit to us means a lot, all added up, to them.

Conditioned as I am, I would feel like an ass in a poor country such as Thailand if I begrudged my waitress a few coins. The service has to be very bad for me to leave nothing.

I see nothing noble about petty cheapskatedness.

If there is a service charge then it's taken care of, naturally.

But, as you say, if it's something you're not accustomed to, then you probably feel awkward tipping. I notice that the Thai people tip.

And all remarks from me about Brits being cheap are made in good fun and not intended to be taken seriously.

P.S. I know all this from having, over the last 30 years, performed just about every service job the industry has to offer.

Jesus, how did this thread deteriote into Brits and Americans,

Well it's late and yes I've had a few drinks tonight but I'm compelled to respound,,

1. The only true friends America has in this world we can count on one finger, the Brits, you've been there for us thru thick and thin, even when it wasn't popular, political or otherwise,

WW2 indicated your not just friends but brothers, most of us share family names, we all came from the same ancestry, we've slogged in shitholes all over the world, we've drank and fought in many bars only to end up singing songs together as we pick our selves up and get back on our stools, :o

2. True story, Lamia, Samui, surrounded by three bald headed knuckle head Germans who for what ever reason, decided to f... with me, though I was minding my own business, given to resolution there wasn't going to be any good outcome to this, though the bar was full, I was pretty much alone.

Then out of nowhere this 150 lb Liverpoolin Brit walked up and stoof beiside me and said well, finally a little excitement, faced with an Yank and Brit full of brim and liquor and looking for a little fun, the knuckleheads stood down,

Epilog: Never met a Brit I didn't like, and never met one who had the most toleration for a Yank, no matter how much of an A-hole we can be at times.

So bottom line America and England, long live the Queen, and we apologize for Bush, : :D

NOEL--

I agree that tipping for bad or surly service wouldn't feel good.

In the U.S. everyone knows that anyone who works in the service industry and is making tips does not get even the normal minimum-wage salary. The hourly pay is just above $2 per hour. This is the law. Others such as taxi drivers get no base pay at all. It's all commission.

Maybe the workers in england make a living wage and tips are just gravy?

At any rate, those of us who can afford the luxury of eating out, barring, taking cabs, staying in hotels, etc., are well aware of the fact that servers depend on tips to pay the bills. A little bit to us means a lot, all added up, to them.

Conditioned as I am, I would feel like an ass in a poor country such as Thailand if I begrudged my waitress a few coins. The service has to be very bad for me to leave nothing.

I see nothing noble about petty cheapskatedness.

If there is a service charge then it's taken care of, naturally.

But, as you say, if it's something you're not accustomed to, then you probably feel awkward tipping. I notice that the Thai people tip.

And all remarks from me about Brits being cheap are made in good fun and not intended to be taken seriously.

P.S. I know all this from having, over the last 30 years, performed just about every service job the industry has to offer.

The National Minimum wage for adults in the UK is £5.05 GB Pounds per hour and for 18 years to 21 years old people it is £4.25 per hour. :o

Think you will find that the average Thai lout is a pretty good fighter despite lack of bulk but they hunt in packs with various weapons - and yes cowards in the sense of using overwhelming force - and the only way out is the four minute mile if you can do it, preferably shouting your head off at the same time. Lack of obvious wealth helps but at the end of the day it is probably down to bad luck - being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I always wear heavy-duty, steel toed capped. boots with pants tucked in army style and walk in determined, fast way - people do not get in my way, either in the UK or Thailand!

Have the same problem at the exit to Nana Plaza...

Think you will find that the average Thai lout is a pretty good fighter despite lack of bulk but they hunt in packs with various weapons - and yes cowards in the sense of using overwhelming force - and the only way out is the four minute mile if you can do it, preferably shouting your head off at the same time. Lack of obvious wealth helps but at the end of the day it is probably down to bad luck - being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I always wear heavy-duty, steel toed capped. boots with pants tucked in army style and walk in determined, fast way - people do not get in my way, either in the UK or Thailand!

Have the same problem at the exit to Nana Plaza...

yo, groove on! I totally agree with it on that score! Thais are almost uncannily much more resilient to injury and blows sustained! Though from what I've seen they can't run that fast or far , probably down to the fact they are smaller and have shorter legs!

Cant say im surprised... Pattaya is a shit hole, most normal non sex tourists would agree to that. In fact most Thais will even dispute thats its part of Thailand.

Its a city full of the countries low-life workers, ###### just take a look at standard of girls working there. :D

I'm wondering if all the abnormal non sex tourists would agree to that as well.... :o

are you the famous michael dorn of star trek fame?

I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy.

Cant say im surprised... Pattaya is a shit hole, most normal non sex tourists would agree to that. In fact most Thais will even dispute thats its part of Thailand.

Its a city full of the countries low-life workers, ###### just take a look at standard of girls working there. :o

You nearly slipped by you tosspot.

Spoken like a true two week disappointed tourist.

Did someone piss on your fireworks in Pattaya last time you was there.

Have a nice day in some other country.

Its a city full of the countries low-life workers, ###### just take a look at standard of girls working there. :D

Haha didnt take long for Pattaya's defenders to come out..

I think we have a difference in opinion regarding Pattaya..in my case I have standards, and in yours..well your just content with living in a HIV infested sewer, good luck to you!

Try it though..ask any respectable Thai what they think of Pattaya...nah of course you wont..maybe too hard to open your eyes..easier living in dream land.

Haha didnt take long for Pattaya's defenders to come out..

I think we have a difference in opinion regarding Pattaya..in my case I have standards, and in yours..well your just content with living in a HIV infested sewer, good luck to you!

Try it though..ask any respectable Thai what they think of Pattaya...nah of course you wont..maybe too hard to open your eyes..easier living in dream land.

Hmmm strange plenty of respectable Thai(s) hit Patters every wkd. :D For one who knows so much you havent a clue mate. Keep posting - the more you mouth off the less anyone believes you. :D

I think your idea of respectable is not the same as mine;) and as for "mouthing off" well you havent actually defended anything yet have you? just tried it on with insults...go on..get some proof that Pattaya is a nice charming place where everyones freindly and nobody gets beaten with wooden planks then robbed..

I think it's you who havn't got the clue mate.

As you can see there is a thread on the main forum that you have been replying to...it seems I'm not alone in my views. :o

What a <deleted> :D

on the subject of tipping

International Tipping Etiquette

To tip, or not to tip? Mmmm... it's not that straightforward. Even when we've established that we ought to give a tip for something - that this is, indeed, a 'tipping situation' - the question is, how much? And to whom, exactly? And to make matters that little bit more complicated, the rules for tipping vary greatly from country to country. What's perfectly normal behaviour in a Tokyo restaurant might be thought rude in a Texan diner. Below you will find some great advice provided by the h2g2 Community that should help us all through this cultural minefield.

Tipping by Geography

Australia

Tipping in Australia is basically non-existent.

Canada

Most service staff in Canada expect something in the 10-20% tip range, depending on what city, if it's French or English Canada, and the level of service. Tipping is expected for restaurants, bars, food delivery and taxis. You should not try to tip the police, especially the Royal Canadian Mountain Police - they will not appreciate it. 15% is a good tip in a restaurant. In Montreal, tips for a good meal at a good restaurant with good service should be tipped more. In most of English Canada, you would find it a lot harder to have the same experience, and anyway would not be expected to tip as much.

On the other hand, you should not tip if service is bad. If the service is really bad, leave a nickel - they should get the message. There is no excuse for bad service - it's so easy to give! And if you work in the service industry, the little effort can gain you a personal reward - tips!

China

You'll never have to tip anywhere in China. It's the one consolation from the fact that foreigners are charged more as a matter of government policy.

When I was in Shanghai 15 years ago, people would run after me with a couple of jiao change. Last year they kept a couple of dollars unless I waited them out. Mind you, the service has improved a thousand per cent.

Egypt

In Egypt you are expected to tip - it's a way of life. If you go on a cruise on the Nile or on Lake Nasser, at the end of the cruise you will be asked to leave tips for the boat crew and any one else involved in the tours. Tipping the guide is at your discretion, but a good guide is worth a good tip.

Similarly, if you go to somewhere like Luxor or Aswan and use a caleche (horse-drawn 'buggy') to get about, the driver will expect a tip on top of the agreed fare. It's up to you whether you pay it, but the man will look aggrieved if you don't! Taxi drivers don't get tipped.

Estonia

Tipping in Estonia is not very common. Taxi drivers like to keep the change and sometimes waiters in a fancy restaurant would too, but they won't be insulted if you don't do it. You'll noticed that some small cafés and pubs have a jar or box on the counter labelled 'Tip' on it. Looks like it's working too. At least it's a smart idea.

France

In France, in restaurants, though not at bars, service must be included in the price, by law. It is usually about 15% or so.

Germany

Tipping seems strange to many Germans. The people you expect to tip (loo attendants for example) have a fixed price (50pfg) but tipping hairdressers and the like may seem akin to starting a revolution.

I almost never tip taxi drivers, since mostly they don't even open the door for me. But I do leave a pressie for the bin men on the first collection after Christmas. Despite my nagging suspicion that they earn more than me.

Hong Kong

Hong Kong taxi drivers do not expect tips (which is a darn good thing as they mostly don't deserve them) unless they are taking you to the airport or the MTR station which connects with the airport, when the cost of carrying luggage mysteriously multiplies.

I flagged a driver who spoke a little English, drove very well, cut five minutes off my usual journey time, and opened the door when we got there. He got the equivalent of 50p (last of the big spenders, here) and was happy with it.

Italy

No tip is expected in restaurants throughout Italy. If you feel guilty, just remember that you are being charged a coperto ('cover charge') or possibly for pane ('bread'), as well. If you're feeling generous, you can leave some coins on the table as you leave.

Japan

Don't.

Mexico

In Mexico tipping is expected for almost any service - if not just a common courtesy to help compensate people who are paid little for their work except for tips. Taxis, restaurants, food delivery folks all should be tipped. Generosity is appreciated, stinginess or no tip for bad service is understood or grudgingly accepted; it might be that your waiter believes in Karma - just make sure that if you go back again, return a favour.

In Monterey, you can find a parking meter and pump some coins in but it could be a meter with a short time limit. If this is the case, you can ask the patrolling meter cop to watch the meter with an appropriate 'tip' to keep him motivated, just in case it runs past the maximum time and you promptly get a ticket.

If you take a cab in Mexico City, they have to use the taximeter by law. If the meter is 'broken' you can get out and catch the next cab which will be waiting right behind. Otherwise, if you are adventurous, know where you are going and your Spanish is good enough, then you can negotiate a price. If you do, make sure you settle the price with tip included or calculate your negotiating price minus a tip. Otherwise it is common courtesy to tip the metered amount. If you are travelling all over Mexico City, you should know where you are going as the taxi driver may not, and may not have a map. It is not like catching a cab in London where they all have the 'knowledge'.

If you do find an organised cabbie who gets you where you want efficiently you should consider that. If he is not so organised, and you have to pull out your city road map - consider that he probably has a hard time making money driving you around for hours except on the extra income from tips, and the cab fare is very reasonable to begin with - maybe the road map (Guia Roji for example) would make a very nice tip.

New Zealand

Don't tip. Ever. You don't have to, people will generally be nice to you as long as you don't treat them like your personal slave. Service is almost always included, as is the sales tax, so the price you see is the price you get. The only exceptions are:

Exceptionally good service

If the menu says 'Service not Included' (rare)

Telling the taxi driver to keep the change (so he doesn't have to fumble around for 35 cents)

Conversely, New Zealanders (and Australians too) are notoriously bad tippers, and consequently get bad service sometimes in other countries.

United Kingdom

All British people know this: you do not tip cash at the bar in a pub. If you are impressed with the barkeep's service, you can offer to buy them a drink. Such an offer will be genuinely appreciated, even though it may not be accepted. If it is, the barkeep might take the tip in the form of cash to 'have one [a drink]later'. This will generally be for half a pint of beer, or a small measure of spirits - you would not expect them to take for a larger drink unless you specifically asked them to.

It seems to be a grey area whether to tip for meals served in a pub. Generally, you have to decide whether a particular establishment is a pub that serves food (don't tip) or a restaurant with a bar (do tip).

United States

Restaurants in the USA usually call for a 15-20% tip, however, if your server is a complete jerk, you aren't expected to give them a dime of your pocket-money. Of course, you may have the misfortune of going to a restaurant that automatically includes a 15% tip in the check, but for all those US males out there who pull out their little calculators every time they receive the bill, having the tip already indicated for them can save a lot of embarrassment.

In pubs, you are expected to put a dollar or two into the pot at the bar. However, since you usually pay only at the end (rather than for each drink as you go), this does not get too excessive!

In most states of the US the tax is around 7-8%, so you just tip twice the tax - a little more or less depending on the service you got. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. However, some people just don't understand what the big deal is with figuring out what 15% of the total is... You just take ten percent of the total, divide that by two, and then find the sum of both figures!

...A Blackjack dealer and a player with a thirteen count in his hand wondered whether or not it was appropriate to tip the dealer.

The player said, "When I get bad cards, it`s not the dealer`s fault....When I get good cards, the dealer obviously had nothing to do with it so why should I tip him?"

The dealer asked, "When you eat out do you tip the waiter?"

"Yes," replied the player.

"Well then, he serves you food, I`m serving you cards so you should tip me," the dealer says.

"Ok, but the waiter gives me what I ask for....I`ll take an eight," says the player.