Dermatologist Needed

dafyduck

I'd just go over to Bangkok Hospital in Phuket town. They are not that expensive. If its a minor issue like mine was it was 350B consultation and 200B for some cream.

<P>its the usual problems,irritations caused by the climate, a selection of insect bites, beach caused infections, fungus etc etc i had a big cockroach come right up my thigh while in bed yesterday morning he was in total panic ,poor sod got hamered with my slipper a second later. </P>

Edited by dafyduck
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi, we are looking as well for a good dermatologist that understands English. We visited the skin center in BKK hospital Phuket, they charged us 1000 baht and 700 bath for some cream...no help at all. the proposed some skin tests but charging high prices for whatever they propose. Went to dermatologist in Phuket international hospital, they say its coming from the sun, but have no solution prescribing some creams for 4000 bath !!! but is also not helping. It seems there only interest is to sell products at very high prices, but they do not come up with solutions.... Are they are serious and professional dermatologists around and also not overcharging to expats, Any help is appreciated

I know 2 small skin clinics in Phuket town. I can recommend the one on Bangkok Road. That's the road into Phuket centre from Chao Fa East, left side half way along the short dual carriage way and before the Y split. Charges small money, less than 500 baht including the cream. The other skin clinic is on Krabi road at the west end of the road, left side. About 100m after the traffic light Y split. Don' t know anything about this clinic, never tried it as happy with the other place.

Hi, we are looking as well for a good dermatologist that understands English. We visited the skin center in BKK hospital Phuket, they charged us 1000 baht and 700 bath for some cream...no help at all. the proposed some skin tests but charging high prices for whatever they propose. Went to dermatologist in Phuket international hospital, they say its coming from the sun, but have no solution prescribing some creams for 4000 bath !!! but is also not helping. It seems there only interest is to sell products at very high prices, but they do not come up with solutions.... Are they are serious and professional dermatologists around and also not overcharging to expats, Any help is appreciated

I agree with you about BKK Hospital Skin Center. She was way overpriced and had an attitude. I haven't found anyone good here, so I go to the guy I've been going to for about 20 years in the US whenever I go for a visit.

Sadly, the situation on Phuket for a good English speaking dermatologist has become so bad, that I just fly up to Bangkok and go to the Skin Clinic at Bumrungrad Hospital.

Flying up, exam, meds for whatever, still cheaper than the 12,000 baht shakedown I got last time I went to a skin clinic at one of the "international" hospitals.

They are only interested in cosmetic stuff these days - just my opinion.

if Bangkok hospital cant help you, what kind of skin diseases do you guys have ?

I have lived at the beach my whole life and have come very close to having melanoma on several occasions. I get yearly checks of my moles, usually getting one a year removed and biopsied. Also other pre cancerous lesions frozen off my face and arms. I don't trust a place that looks like a spa with my life. Plus I took my fiance there a few years ago for a skin disease and they misdiagnosed it. At least the biopsy was sent to Bangkok and we got the correct diagnosis. Then the drugs were over twice the price I found them for through a pharmacist friend here... So now I just avoid the place.

Thanks to all for the info and reply. Medical insurance does not cover the skin clinics and ours not a dermatologist. We visited many doctors at skin clinics but they are all interested in cosmetic stuff and if they feel you are not interested, then they say can not help you. Others try to sell collagen, or the very expensive laser treatment. but nobody could first say what the problem of the skin is. My wife has on her both arms the skin changing into a very rough and thick skin this happened in 1 month time, some say its fungus others allergy.. others its because of the sun you skin is aging ( yeah in 1 month time ...), all prescribed different creams, no change, no help only get worse.

Maybe we try Bangkok, as we need to find out exactly what it is before we start any other treatment. thanks

We visited the skin center in BKK hospital Phuket, they charged us 1000 baht and 700 bath for some cream...no help at all. the proposed some skin tests but charging high prices for whatever they propose. Went to dermatologist in Phuket international hospital, they say its coming from the sun, but have no solution prescribing some creams for 4000 bath !!! but is also not helping. It seems there only interest is to sell products at very high prices, but they do not come up with solutions.

That's my experience also of dermatology at those two hospitals, a complete and utter rip off with no medical benefits.

quote 2 and 7 are the correct answer to the topic which i started in spring of this year,as mentioned in quote 7 the clinic is PICHIT CLINIC on 78/79 Bangkok road phuket central.hours 9.30am 12 am 5.30pm 8.30pm monday to thursday, friday 5.30pm 8.30pm,saturday 9am 12 am 5.30pm 8.30pm sunday 9am 12am Dr vichit speaks fluent english he charges 200 baht for consultation and the prescriptions are generics at rock bottom prices available there,you can also go back for refills .I went there for various problems caused by the beach and then later went there for a suspicious looking spot on my arm only to be told by him its cancer and he sent me across the road to the surgeon who had it removed for 1400 baht and i went back 10 days later for the report confirming same.Great doctor with tons of experience and no bullshit.Dont phone,go there early.Hope i'm luckier this summer season.

Edited by dafyduck

quote 2 and 7 are the correct answer to the topic which i started in spring of this year,as mentioned in quote 7 the clinic is PICHIT CLINIC on 78/79 Bangkok road phuket central.hours 9.30am 12 am 5.30pm 8.30pm monday to thursday, friday 5.30pm 8.30pm,saturday 9am 12 am 5.30pm 8.30pm sunday 9am 12am Dr vichit speaks fluent english he charges 200 baht for consultation and the prescriptions are generics at rock bottom prices available there,you can also go back for refills .I went there for various problems caused by the beach and then later went there for a suspicious looking spot on my arm only to be told by him its cancer and he sent me across the road to the surgeon who had it removed for 1400 baht and i went back 10 days later for the report confirming same.Great doctor with tons of experience and no bullshit.Dont phone,go there early.Hope i'm luckier this summer season.

Good post! Good to know. Do you know if he has liquid nitrogen to remove pre-cancerous spots? And I hope you are luckier this year! Wear sunscreen. I sure wish we had it when I was a kid.

i dont know if he has liquid nitrogen,he advises not going out into the sun before 4 pm and wear lots of sunscreen over 15 SPF when you do.Another trick is never to go out from 10am to 3pm during the summer season"now to may" without beeing fully covered,long sleeved T shirts when headfing to the beach etc. just immitate the japanese tourists in town.Contracting skin Cancer on this island is way more probable than on European beaches for the older white male generation over 60.