Vat Refund On Marriage Visa?

I am residing in Thailand on an extension to my marriage visa. I am planning to purchase a new laptop and will visit the UK in May. Can I take advantage of the the VAT discount for tourist to Thailand at the airport even though I am not a tourist? Will they note the visa + extension in my passport?

You could always buy your new laptop in the UK, where I believe they are a tad cheaper, and reclaim the 20% VAT back at the UK airport.

What's the procedure for doing this if you live in the UK and you have a settlement visa? Can you still claim? (Thinking about my gf/wife-to-be)

RAZZ

You could always buy your new laptop in the UK, where I believe they are a tad cheaper, and reclaim the 20% VAT back at the UK airport.

What's the procedure for doing this if you live in the UK and you have a settlement visa? Can you still claim? (Thinking about my gf/wife-to-be)

I was advised that you have to be resident outside of the EU to claim back the VAT. They told me that, as a UK passport holder if I could prove that I was resident outside of the EU, I think they said that I had to have been out for 12 months, then I could claim the VAT back at Heathrow, and that's what I did.

I suspect your gf/wife to be, wouldn't be able to get a refund of VAT if she's resident in the UK, anymore than I could here in Thailand, but that's only an assumption.

Edited by theoldgit

• 3 months later...

I've checked that the rule is that you don't stay in Thailand more than 180 days in a calendar year, but I couldn't find anything mentioning visas.

In my case, I'll be leaving the country before my 90-days Non-Imm O visa expires, no extensions. Do I qualify for the VAT refund or would be strictly necessary to be in a tourist visa or tourist visa-exempt stamp?

Thanks.

the shop will ask to see your passport, and issue you a PP10, to get the VAT refund at the Airport. They will not know what they are looking for in your passport.

At the Airport definitely give it a go, you must submit your documents to the Officer before checking in, and the item

must physical be with you. The only problem here is that they might know what they are looking for in your passport, but just smile and say you were unaware if caught out.

Edited by beano2274

well, after my post I've decided to write to the email address published in the VAT refund official website, just trying to get an official information wether I would be able to get the refund or not. I asked about the opening hours of the VAT refund office at Swampy airport.

I was suprised to receive a reply, which arrived 7 days after my inquiry.

For your reference, the text of their reply is below.

----------------------

With reference to your email of 22nd August 2011 you have some doubts about VAT refund that you would like to clarify which are as follows:

1) Does a foreigner with a Non-Imm O Visa staying less than 90 days in the country qualify for the VAT refund?

2) What are the opening hours of the VAT refund office in Suvarnabhumi airport?

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Yes, he or she does.

2) The VAT refund offices which are located in the departure lounge of Subarnabhumi are open 24 hours a day.

You'll find step-by-step guidance below on how to claim a VAT refund, please take a few minutes to read VAT refund regulations as follows:

Tourist who can claim VAT refund,

- is not Thai national,

- is not an airline crew member who departs Thailand on duty.

Eligibility condition for claimant,

- goods must be purchased from licensed store displaying "VAT REFUND FOR

TOURISTS" sign

- goods must be purchased in one store at the amount of at least 2,000 baht per day

to be able to ask for VAT Refund Application for Tourist form (P.P.10 form) and claim a

VAT refund at the airport. Sales personnel will help the tourist fill out P.P.10 with details

as shown in his or her passport on the purchase date only.

- goods must be taken out of Thailand by the tourist within 60 days of purchase date

via international airport only.

Procedure how to claim VAT refund at the airport,

- goods must be inspected and P.P.10 form must be stamped by Customs Officer

before check-in. Please be reminded that "NO STAMP, NO REFUND",

- the P.P.10 must be submitted to Revenue Officer at VAT refund office after

passport control to refund VAT in cash (if the VAT refund amount does not exceed

30,000 baht otherwise the refund will be made in bank draft or credited to the tourist's

credit card account) when the claim is approved,

- the luxury goods (jewelry, gold ornament, watch, glasses and pen) worth or above

10,000 baht must be re-inspected at the VAT refund office.

REMARK: If the tourist is in a hurry and can not submit the P.P.10 and the tax invoice

to the Revenue Officer, he or she may either drop them in the box in front of the VAT

Refund office or mail them to:

VAT Refund for Tourists office

Revenue Department of Thailand

90 Paholyotin 7, Payatai

Bangkok 10400, Thailand.

We hope this information may help you understand about VAT refund for

tourist system. If it is not clear, do not hesitate to let us know. For further information,

please visit our website at http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/. Thank you for shopping in Thailand.

Edited by gazzola