Thai And Cambodian Troops Clash Again

webfact

No it is getting more of a concern.

Wife just spoke to family in centre of town in Ban Kruat and they have been told to get packed and if required ready to leave at short notice.

Its a precaution at this stage but still causes a lot of concern to all involved.

The concern is the Cambodians are easily able to move into the jungle as the firing has been mostly all one way up until now.

A lot of people are already displaced and the situation is not getting better for those closley effected.

I think it is over now. I will correct myself if I am wrong.

The firing was which way???

OK, got it. So the concern is that Cambodia may retaliate.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No it is getting more of a concern.

Wife just spoke to family in centre of town in Ban Kruat and they have been told to get packed and if required ready to leave at short notice.

Its a precaution at this stage but still causes a lot of concern to all involved.

The concern is the Cambodians are easily able to move into the jungle as the firing has been mostly all one way up until now.

A lot of people are already displaced and the situation is not getting better for those closley effected.

I think it is over now. I will correct myself if I am wrong.

Sorry if I confused anyone but I meant the shelling and not the confrontation. If my input is not appreciated then perhaps nickynomates can take over.

I live in the centre of Ban Kluat town. I left the market at 19.15. Absolutely NO talk of evacuating Ban Kluat town. I am at home now, and have NOT been told to pack .My family are all happily asleep. All is quiet. No sign of Army or Police In Ban Kluat town ,nor is there any evacuation vehicles in town.

There goes another page (almost) of none-sensical regurgitation , why do posters keep re-posting so much to give a few words as a response , surely a short informative post or a word of agreement would suffice without half of the thread tagged on .

There goes another page (almost) of none-sensical regurgitation , why do posters keep re-posting so much to give a few words as a response , surely a short informative post or a word of agreement would suffice without half of the thread tagged on .

What exactly is your advice during these intense moments?

I'm assuming you're referring to the Thai side enacting most of the hostile activity, correct?:o

Nick , What jungle are you referring to? In Buriram province ,there is no jungle. There is an area of poor regrowth between the Current presumed border, , impossible to hide in. Of approx 2 to 5 kilometres wide. Then it is all open farm land. Between these two ,is a road, which if patrolled by the Thai Army, would be impossible for the Cambodians to cross. They would get slaughtered. My understanding is that there are enough Thai military patrolling this road, with I believe tanks which thundered through Ban Kluat on Saturday, to ensure NO penetration was possible by Cambodia.

I was looking at a paper this morning on unexploded ordinance and the injuries incurred by non combatants and I got to thinking. What is happening with the unexploded ordinance, i.e. duds? Western munitions are kept under fairly strict environmental control conditions and are manufactured to specific standards such that the dud rate is estimated at 1%. Ordinance stored under difficult conditions (e.g. humid) or that are manufactured to less than high standards (e.g. Chinese) are estimated to have around 10% failure rates. Alot of the Cambodian munitions are left overs from the Chinese supply initiave during the PolPot regime. This suggests to me that if Cambodia is firing into Thailand, the local Thai population is going to have to deal with a lot of unexploded ordinance. Does the Thai military have any system in place to protect the population from these unexplodedordinance?

In respect to Thailand, if the Thais are using artillery bomblets, which are reported as packed 50 to 88 per shell, depending upon the type, then Cambodia is going to have a fair number of unexploded bombets. The common dud estimate for these munitions is between 2 and 5%.

I have a sad feeling that this exchange of artillery is going to be the bombs that keep on exploding and we'll see a few tragedies as kids pick up the unexploded shells or bomblets.

What villages are you in? Cannot hear any shelling in Ban Kluat town.

You wouldn't have heard it, you were sat in a bar in the middle of the Monday night market, surrounded by the sounds of DVD sellers and general talat hubbub, as was I.... but you could hear it when the market traders and then the clean up crew left.