UN welcomes sacking of Russian official over controversial remarks

News_Editor

UN welcomes sacking of Russian official over controversial remarks

2011-04-23 07:37:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

UNITED NATIONS (BNO NEWS) -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday welcomed the firing of a Russian migration service during his visit to the country.

RIA Novosti reported that Ban, who is in Moscow as part of his eastern European tour, hailed the decision to fire Konstantin Poltoranin, the spokesman for the Federal Migration Service, over his racial remarks.

"I would like to use this opportunity to commend the authorities of the Russian Federation for the dismissal of the former spokesperson of the Federal Migration Service for his racist remarks," he said.

Poltoranin was sacked on Wednesday immediately after giving a controversial BBC interview.

"We want to make sure the mixing of blood happens in the right way here [in Russia]... What is now at stake is the survival of the white race," Poltoranin said during the interview.

Ban also called for the respect of rights for migrants, refugees and asylum seekers.

After the incident, a Kremlin official also welcomed the dismissal, saying it was "a logical and necessary move."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-23

A rather public display of the sentiments of the Russians towards visible minorities.

Although the fellow was "fired", the attitude will remain in the department.

I note that no Pakistanis or Africans took to the street shouting death to Rssia as is usually the case with western nations that make minor errors.

Whilst I think the U.S and western Europe are well on the way to transcending racial discrimination Russia still has some way to go. However, though the remarks were very unwise it would appear to be a crime to speak one's mind, and as you say he was probably reflecting the attitude of many of his collegues.

As for protesters venting their fury at such statements I remember a UK politician called Norman Tebbit making his 'cricket test' remark in 1990, when asked whether British citizens of foreign origin supported the English cricket team or that of their native Countries. This caused a big furore at the time and he was accused of Xenophobia, however now in 2011 we have indeed progressed and the question would be whose flag do you burn to vent your anger? If that flag is that of your host nation then frankly you don't belong there would be my opinnion.

A rather public display of the sentiments of the Russians towards visible minorities.

Even though I would call myself a russophile, when I lived there two years I never met anyone shy about their attitudes to minorities. I always thought that any non-white or woman back home who thought discrimination there was bad should go to Russia for a bit.