11 Year Old Toyota Soluna

kerryk

After not driving for 6 years in Thailand my GF wants me to teach her how to drive her 11 year old Toyota Soluna (it's a stick shift). The car seems in good shape and drives fine but the brakes are a bit soft. The Pedal comes back up if I pump it and if I turn off the ignition it comes up. I can't find a manual on line but I assume the Toyota Soluna brakes are not power assisted. I don't see any fluid leaking and the brake fluid reservoir is full. The car stops OK but I don't have much travel in the brake pedal. Will I hear some kind of grinding if the breaks are going out or will one day I just not be able to stop. Apologies for my lack of experience but I have never driven a Toyota Soluna and all my cars from the previous 10 years have had power brakes, so I am at a loss what to look for. Any information would be appreciated.

11 years is not old car I would expect it's got power brakes. If pad and shoes are not worn you won't hear any noise but what I would do is take it to Bquick or Cockpit ask them to change the brake fluid and check pad wear. cost approx 200bt. If have to change pads and shoes another maybe 2000bt.

11 years is not old car I would expect it's got power brakes. If pad and shoes are not worn you won't hear any noise but what I would do is take it to Bquick or Cockpit ask them to change the brake fluid and check pad wear. cost approx 200bt. If have to change pads and shoes another maybe 2000bt.

Thanks that's a great idea. I don't mind putting some money in the car anyway because it didn't cost me anything up front. Body and interior are both in good shape and the engine runs smooth. I didn't realize changing the pads and shoes would only be 2000 baht.

Brakes on a car is as we all can agree on, one of the most important safety features and it has to be in mint conditions at all times.

If I was you I would take the car to a Toyota dealer or if you know a good garage/mechanic ASP and drive very carefully to the dealer or even put the car on a truck and have it transported there.

Yes best to get the brakes checked. If you don't know its history (and you seem to have some issues with the brakes), best to get brake system bled and replace the brake fluid. To me, OEM pads do feel "soft" If they need changing you can get bendix pads or similar (B-quick, cockpit, will have them). I got bendix metal king up front, and they give better pedal feel and bite. Slightly noiser but its worth it. Cost is similar to OEM pads.

Yes best to get the brakes checked. If you don't know its history (and you seem to have some issues with the brakes), best to get brake system bled and replace the brake fluid. To me, OEM pads do feel "soft" If they need changing you can get bendix pads or similar (B-quick, cockpit, will have them). I got bendix metal king up front, and they give better pedal feel and bite. Slightly noiser but its worth it. Cost is similar to OEM pads.

I agree. There is a Cockpit only two blocks away from my condo and next to my bank that I have to go to Monday anyway. And the GF will like me taking care of her car. I never mind spending money on things I can see and use as opposed to shoes and purses.

+1 good advice, either of these will get on and do what you want.

These two are better than any Toyota dealer, Toyota just give a long list of items to tell you want needs to be done whether you actually need or not. :rolleyes: .

e.g. When a year old Toyota said the air-con needed servicing when it was working well, trying to be fair :whistling: maybe not all outlets are the same.