Thai-Cambodian Border Clashes Draw 40,000 Worried Evacuees To Shelters

Lite Beer

Thai-Cambodian border clashes draw 40,000 worried evacuees to shelters

By The Nation on Sunday.

Following a second day of fighting between Thai and Cambodian troops, Surin's six temporary shelters yesterday were filled with 25,000 evacuees from villages along the border in Phanom Dongrak, while two temporary shelters in nearby Kap Choeng district were also full, with 15,000 evacuees.

Thai Army spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd yesterday said the Army would do its best to assist affected people and that a mobile hospital was already set at Maharat Hospital 4. Mental health experts from the Weerawatyothin Army Camp in Surin's Mueang district were also dispatched to assist the evacuees. Mobile kitchens were set at shelters while the state and private sectors also assisted the evacuees in other aspects.

In related news, neighbouring Buri Ram's Ban Kruat district chief Nat Chatwattanasiri went to inspect the damage at five villages of tambon Sai Taku, located about 20 kilometres from the clash area, from five stray cannon balls from Friday's clash.

Finding 40 rubber trees destroyed but no resident houses damaged nor anyone injured, Nat set up a 20-strong team of civilian security volunteers to guard each of the affected villages until the situation is resolved. Buri Ram police also arranged for 50 police officers a day to patrol affected villages.

After 2,500 people fled their homes on Friday, the total number of evacuees at the shelter in tambon Noen Charoen yesterday rose to 6,500 at six locations.

One evacuee, Naree Kaewpa-op, 58, said she was frightened to hear gun fights all morning yesterday and saw black smoke near her home so her family sought refuge at Noen Charoen. She said she wanted the clash to end fast because both sides suffered losses.

In Si Sa Ket's Kantharalak district, although the situation there remained normal, many border residents now were fearful that the Surin border clash might spread to the Preah Vihear Temple area and prepared to evacuate.

Bhumisarol resident Samrit Saenpradap, whose family home was damaged in the previous border clash in February, urged Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to help end the clash as soon as possible, as she and fellow villagers now feared for another clash in the Preah Vihear Temple area.

Another villager, Chanyapat Pradasri, said she sympathised with the affected villagers who had to flee their homes and urged people to be prepared for evacuation by keeping important documents with them and filling up cars' petrol tanks for emergency.

Following the recent border clash, Army Region 2 commander Lt-General Thawatchai Samutsakorn ordered the Thai-Cambodian key checkpoint at the Thai border district of Kap Choeng, namely the Chong Jom-Osamed checkpoint, to close indefinitely.

However, Surin Chamber of Commerce vice chairman Thiensak Samphansirikul yesterday commented that the recent border clash would only slightly affect the border trade and economy, because trade at the Chong Jom-Osamed checkpoint generated about Bt40 million-Bt50 million income in the first three months.

Since the border pass was closed for just one or two days the damage so far was only about Bt1 million to Bt2 million, he said, expressing hope that the pass would soon be re-opened.

He said a planned June 18 meeting in Cambodia between the chambers of commerce of the Thai lower northeastern provinces' and their Cambodian counterparts was still on.

On the Cambodian side, villages close to the border were emptied as people fled with their belongings, according to Agence France-Presse.

"Most of the people in my village have fled their homes because many Thai artillery shells landed nearby," 29-year-old farmer Has Pov told AFP at a pagoda complex where he took refugee with his wife and two children in the Cambodian town of Samrong, about 40 kilometres from the fighting.

"I'm really scared by the shelling," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-24

One has to ask the questions: Why now? Who has what to gain from the conflict?

Actually nobody gains.

The reactionary element in the Thai army thinks it gains in terms of the domestic political scene and the (maybe) impending election.This has been discussed many times.

One has to ask the questions: Why now? Who has what to gain from the conflict?

Actually nobody gains.

The reactionary element in the Thai army thinks it gains in terms of the domestic political scene and the (maybe) impending election.This has been discussed many times.

If it's manipulated, it's also a way to discredit the current Govt.

Now who would stoop to such cowardly and lowly tactics? Anyone come to mind?

Actually nobody gains.

If it's manipulated, it's also a way to discredit the current Govt.

Now who would stoop to such cowardly and lowly tactics? Anyone come to mind?

Are referring to Chamlong

its all about Politics and with the elections coming up and Thaksin still has it in mind to return.

What better way than make the current goverment and the way They have been to "soft" with the Cambodians out of flavor.....

But once again, no one wins

I've got a serious question regarding Sisaket province. Is the border near Phusing (Chang Sa Ngam ) now open to make visa runs? Any information would be deeply appreciated. Cheers-:jap:

Edited by metisdead
Edited for previously deleted posts.

In related news, neighbouring Buri Ram's Ban Kruat district chief Nat Chatwattanasiri went to inspect the damage at five villages of tambon Sai Taku, located about 20 kilometres from the clash area, from five stray cannon balls from Friday's clash.

Correct me if im wrong but im sure they stopped using cannon balls in the 19th century!!!

After a Vision of Hell yesterday morning, following which everybody departed my village, Baan Ampeun:Korika! from 9am Sat till now Sun 9:40am there is nothing but Silence, everything is shut up tight!

I had to go 13Kms to top up my AIS EDGE/GPRS. peace has decended over the area once again.

For me I have been in Heaven since I arrived again in my beloved Thailand.

Now if only I can get some Thai Workers to finish work on my home!

Kiwijor.

Posts using photos without citing the source have been removed

I will certainly comply with this new criteria and expect all others will do so, as well.

Sources for posted Reuters photos and descriptions showing some of the displaced 40,000 Thais and Cambodian artillery:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110423/ids_photos_wl/r4187309376.jpg/

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110423/ids_photos_wl/r153690943.jpg/

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110423/ids_photos_wl/r600597896.jpg/

Edited by Buchholz

r3430009492.jpg

A Thai boy drinks water at a school temporarily turned into a refugee camp in Surin province about 30 km (19 miles) from the Thai-Cambodia border April 24, 2011.

REUTERS

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110424/ids_photos_wl/r3430009492.jpg/

r1850779864.jpg

A Thai boy sits at a school temporarily turned into a refugee camp in Surin province about 30 km (19 miles) from the Thai-Cambodia border April 24, 2011.

REUTERS

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//110424/ids_photos_wl/r1850779864.jpg/#photoViewer=/110424/ids_photos_wl/r1850779864.jpg

With some posts removed and some still visible in replies as far as quoted, this thread has become difficult to follow.

As far as I understand

- both sides shelling each other

- both sides see civilians evacuated

- both sides took losses

- both sides to blame

- both sides innocent

- Thai and Cambodean newsflashes seldomly agree with each other, apart from the general location of conflict ;)

- RTA trying to influence the coming elections

- RTA duped by any-color-shirts

- the conflict has nothing to do with Saloth Sar (aka Pol Pot), A. Hitler, or Robert A.

One of these days we may get some better insight, one or two decades from now I guess :ermm:

I've got a serious question regarding Sisaket province. Is the border near Phusing (Chang Sa Ngam ) now open to make visa runs? Any information would be deeply appreciated. Cheers-:jap:

Is the border near Phusing (Chang Sa Ngam) open for visa runs? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.:jap:

Is the border near Phusing (Chang Sa Ngam) open for visa runs? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.:jap:

The border crossing at Chang Sa Ngam and also at Chong Chom are closed until further notice.

Cheers