Rubber Propagation Questions

Canada

Hi. Still on this mission of mine to get something from the rubber that is currently inhabiting my "to be sugarcane" land.

I want to convert 30 rai on another plot to rubber in 3 years. Can I cut these trees, root them, and keep them in pots for 3 years and then put them in the dirt? When I say cut, I mean take cuttings. If 3 years is too long, I suppose I could take cuttings from these cuttings in a years thereby reducing "pot time" to 2 years.

As for "why are you getting rid of the rubber" ????.....We bought this 48 rai for sugar. It was planted with rubber last year and the guy walked away from it. It's not pretty, and I think would cost a lot to get it to a state of looking like a farm, with uniform looking trees covering the entire piece. We bought it for sugar,not a long haul on rubber. After a lot of reading, I think we will change another 32 rai to rubber in 3 years as that piece is more suitable for rubber than sugar, which we are currently planting.

Question is..... can I get something from this rubber???? Seems a shame to plough it under at the prices of saplings these days, especially when I consider that I want to plant rubber after 3 years of sugar.

If I look at "ehow" it looks pretty simple.....is this a viable idea????

Thanks.

Sure....what I learned was that rubber that is grown here is a grafted tree, meaning that the root is different than the top. So if I was wiling to take cuttings, then graft another tree to it later, that I could actually propagate something worth growing. Without grafting I would end up with a poor producing tree.

To be quite honest, I don't fully understand this. I do know that in looking at the trees that I have, I can tell that they are grafted. I don't understand why cuttings from this "hybred" won't produce well.....

I have decided that it will be too much work as I am a "distant" farmer meaning I live about 600 kms from my land. Better for me to plough them under, start this piece fresh, and when I want to plant rubber, go buy new trees. I will however take advice and keep the rubber out of the dirt for a while so as to get maximum use from the land while the rubber is still young.....sugar. We will care for the rubber on a smaller piece of property for a year or 2.