Hasn'T Exactly Been A Classic This Season ! Or Has It ?

tigerfish

so what do you reckon ?

quality of football not as good, not so many big name signings making their mark or teams not playing up to expectations and the standards set from years gone by. maybe things have just got a lot tighter this season and there isn't the usual divide between the so called top teams getting results against certain sides.

what ever happens in the end, whether United are crowned champions. Chelsea sneak up on the rails with Torres coming into form and nicking a win at Old Trafford and even Liverpool snatching 5th off the spuds. has it really been anything to write home about this season ? apart from the odd refereeing decision.

Speak for the arse......United have done all right what ever way you look at it,Hernandez has been an outstanding new signing and 2 semis and another league title is a good season in anyones book.

As for the rest you are correct.

Speak for the arse......United have done all right what ever way you look at it,Hernandez has been an outstanding new signing and 2 semis and another league title is a good season in anyones book.

As for the rest you are correct.

yes you are quite right to think that way MrRed and i dare say if it was anyone else who supported another club they would be thinking along the same lines. a win is a win, no matter what ! and in any which way or form it comes. but, would you say its been a classic of a season even with the red specs on ? biggrin.gif

Football wise apart from the odd exceptions it has been <deleted>. ;)

But it is not over yet anything could happen ....apart from anyone other than United winning the league that is :D

Most of the classics this season have come from the Liverpool thread on this forum. :D

That aside, Arsenals seasonal implosion has been fairly impressive as has Wengers descent into madness.

Edited by carmine

Most of the classics this season have come from the Liverpool thread on this forum. :D

That aside, Arsenals seasonal implosion has been fairly impressive as has Wengers descent into madness.

Yes Wenger's consistent form since we beat them at the library has been truly impressive. :D

As for us we've been too inconsistent...playing well against the other big sides and losing silly points particularly late in games.

Only manure have shone and Hernandez is the steal of the year...SAF done it again it seems.....

Yes Wenger's consistent form since we beat them at the library has been truly impressive. :D

it was losing the league cup final did for arsenal. they've imploded since then when they seemed to have so much on their plate for the taking.

Only manure have shone and Hernandez is the steal of the year...SAF done it again it seems.....

united are going to win this title by default. on paper i'd say that chelsea, arsenal and city all had better squads than them at the start of the season but united have won it by sheer determination and will to win. which as you say is down to the manager, mister ferguson, knowing his business far better than his rivals.

it was losing the league cup final did for arsenal. they've imploded since then when they seemed to have so much on their plate for the taking.

united are going to win this title by default. on paper i'd say that chelsea, arsenal and city all had better squads than them at the start of the season but united have won it by sheer determination and will to win. which as you say is down to the manager, mister ferguson, knowing his business far better than his rivals.

Stick to subbuteo Stevie....on paper yeah right!! :D

it isn't played on paper of course but i really think that ancelotti, wenger and mancini want a shoeing each this season. particularly the two teams in blue which have much greater squad depth and probably quality than united do. this is united's most average squad/team in years and yet they've barely had to perform to win the title and end up in the semis of the european cup again. it's fuc_king depressing.

It's been a dreadful Season for the beautiful Game & a Season which sadly may have ended my love affair with it even though i've been flirting with the idea of lodging it for a while..

In fact i'm lying, i still live Football, but i hate the Prem & the absolute Cnuts that play in it & the general Mushroom's thats support it these days..

& even if that shower of sh*te that i supports is in it next Year, which i doubt, i'll be watching the Bundesliga more than i will the Prem & it's Overpaid, Classless, Childish Mercenaries that play in it.........:)

it isn't played on paper of course but i really think that ancelotti, wenger and mancini want a shoeing each this season. particularly the two teams in blue which have much greater squad depth and probably quality than united do. this is united's most average squad/team in years and yet they've barely had to perform to win the title and end up in the semis of the european cup again. it's fuc_king depressing.

Much greater in depth? are you sure about that mate? Chelsea have been down to the bare bones for the best part of the season with getting rid of too many experienced players and not replacing them. Then there was all the injuries to key players we have had so all in all I think finishing 2nd in the EPL was a good season.....and to be able to keep Ancelotti for a few more seasons will great in my opinion. :)

I think that people are a bit sulky about the Premier League. This season we had 4 teams all with a chance of winning the Premiership at the beginning. There have been 5 teams scrapping for the 4 CL places. Next season again there should be 4 teams with a chance of winning the Premiership and 6 teams competing for the 4 CL places.

You only need to look at what a farce the Spanish (or Portuguese) league is for that matter. The League Cup went to Birmingham, the FA is between City and Stoke. Virtually every team has something to fight for as we head towards the end of the season.

Next year is going to be tougher than ever. The big sides are all going to try and strengthen. Rarely a week goes by where there isnt some important game to contribute to this soap opera. And if it isnt in the league it is in the CL.

At some point the whole Premiership is going to be far LESS exciting than it is now. Because teams are not going to be allowed to lose big money for glory. Look at Spain if you want to see the consequences of FFP. Two clubs get all the revenues, all the glory and can afford all the costs of being the best.

Looking to next year I see the odds on the Premiership are as follows....

ManU 2.75

Chelsea 3.75

City 4.5

Arsenal 6.5

Liverpool 13.0

Spurs 34.0

Sounds about right to me...

For once I sort of agree with the kopite Abrak, a very interesting season, a good spread of activity amongst numerous clubs. Plenty of changes of fortune with Everton and Blackpool as prime examples, still a long way from the Scottish/Spanish/Portuguese models.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Man Utd have been great champions - worthy, certainly, but the fragility of the teams below have made them look better (particularly in the first half of the season when they were a bit wobbly.

Chelski flattered to deceive as did Man City - as Mancini set his ambition early on at 5th place, he actually over-achieved getting 3rd.

Arsenal - they have done nothing in the last 6 years, in terms of winning trophies, and I don't see that they have progressed much.

Man City - for all their money they still look a rag-bag bunch and the one trophy they won would have been in doubt against better opposition than Stoke.

Spurs - can't quite get there, can they.

Beyond this, the 'middle order' is summed by the fact that Villa (who looked in serious trouble) finished 9th and Liverpool (who flirted with the drop zone) would have got in the Europa if they hadn't thrown their last couple of games.

The bottom provided the usual end of season excitement but I wonder if it would not be better for 2 to go down and 3rd bottom play the Championship play-off winners for a place in the Premiership.

Man City - for all their money they still look a rag-bag bunch and the one trophy they won would have been in doubt against better opposition than Stoke.

yes, like for instance, Man U?

Oh wait, they beat them in the semis...

The reason that everyone is feeling that it hasnt been a great season is because all the major teams havent really done that well.

It really is a simple statement of fact that Man U are 'not that good' champions on the basis that they won the league with 80 points which is less than the 85 points that they achieved last year to come second. They were, however, better than everyone else.

The only one of the top 7 teams (inc Aston Villa) that can claim any credit is Man City who improved exactly 1 point. All the other teams scored lower than the previous year. That is why we are all left with the feeling that our team could have done better and could have done better against teams that were also not performing well.

It is not entirely unusual for the title to be won by a team with low points. The title used to be a lot closer. 97/98/99 titles were all won by teams with less than 80 points but it hasnt happened since.

I guess we all expect our teams to do better next year.

Yes, I suppose they would consider that the highlight of the season.

I hadn't realised how few trophies City had won until I checked the record books:-

, 1967–68

Cup

European

You took the words right out of my mouth jimjim ;)

Yes, I suppose they would consider that the highlight of the season.

I hadn't realised how few trophies City had won until I checked the record books:-

Cup

European

Blimey cardholder, what planet have you been hiding on. That is why Man United have had a banner hung up at the Stretford End with 35 years on it. And the fact that it has been so long is also what makes winning it so special. So no matter what negativity you put on it, we don't really give a toss.

Blimey cardholder, what planet have you been hiding on. That is why Man United have had a banner hung up at the Stretford End with 35 years on it. And the fact that it has been so long is also what makes winning it so special. So no matter what negativity you put on it, we don't really give a toss.

Don't get me wrong Mr Bo this has been a very good season for Man City - but I wasn't the one who crowed about the semi-final result.

I genuinely hadn't realised that it had been so long since City won anything. As a Forest fan I have, effectively, been on another planet - it is called "The Lower Leagues" and it is not a very nice place to be.

I cannot watch the Premiership games as a 'neutral' so I have found myself 'supporting' United over the last few years - ironic, because I found them to be loathsome when Forest were in the top flight. Those of you supporting Premiership clubs may not understand this but when you are down with the deadmen you can differentiate between planet Premier and planet 'fizzy pop'. I am sure many of the older Man City fans can relate to that.

As you have mentioned the banner I would just say that I find the whole thing quite churlish.

it is called "The Lower Leagues" and it is not a very nice place to be.

We City fans (and those not too old) only know that feeling too well. And we don't want to re-live it in an hurry

I think you are safe now!

The gap between the have's and have not's is widening by the day. City are now firmly in the "have's" and should be set for relative ongoing success.

As an outsider :( it does seem that a Euro league involving the top 8 from the Premiership is now the way to go.

I don't think it will ever get as bad as Scotland but making 2 leagues out of what is left plus the Championship might be better.

Don't get me wrong Mr Bo this has been a very good season for Man City - but I wasn't the one who crowed about the semi-final result.

I genuinely hadn't realised that it had been so long since City won anything. As a Forest fan I have, effectively, been on another planet - it is called "The Lower Leagues" and it is not a very nice place to be.

I cannot watch the Premiership games as a 'neutral' so I have found myself 'supporting' United over the last few years - ironic, because I found them to be loathsome when Forest were in the top flight. Those of you supporting Premiership clubs may not understand this but when you are down with the deadmen you can differentiate between planet Premier and planet 'fizzy pop'. I am sure many of the older Man City fans can relate to that.

As you have mentioned the banner I would just say that I find the whole thing quite churlish.

on one hand you claim to be forest, but asthey dont feature in bpl you "supportinng" uninted, would that be , soulless shitcunnt united???

on one hand you claim to be forest, but asthey dont feature in bpl you "supportinng" uninted, would that be , soulless shitcunnt united???

btw who did churlish play for , soppy mining no mark , churlish ?????, get facked ..... caught... youre fackin nigel palace ,

you palace nigel cun_t, ps cantona ! nigel fack all. wouldnt appen down ours, you muggy nigel no marks :D :D :D :D :D :D nigel :D

btw who did churlish play for , soppy mining no mark , churlish ?????, get facked ..... caught... youre fackin nigel palace ,

you palace nigel cun_t, ps cantona ! nigel fack all. wouldnt appen down ours, you muggy nigel no marks :D :D :D :D :D :D nigel :D

Are your posts normally so illiterate or have you been trying to post after having a couple of beers ?

as a neutral ,,,,,,, you find yourself,,,,,,,,, a f?????? orest ?????? fan supportinng united.

caaaaaaaarrrnnnnt, 110 pc% carnt, if anything thank fack swansea facked you , you would have only jumped ship half way

you epitomise nottingham , you ferkin haddock, try palace next time, nigel

Now that's the sort of quality input this forum needs - pure intellect and sharp wit at it's best.

(at least, the best imola can manage)