New Restaurant Review

FarangBuddha

I had the opportunity to give the new restaurant, Louis, a try and am happy to report it was a very pleasant dining experience indeed. For those who don't know, and I suspect it is most out there as Louis has only been open 3 weeks and it's hidden on a side soi, Louis is an offshoot of Alois Restaurant (which of course, is itself an offshoot, or maybe bastard child is a better word, of Brunos) located on Pratunmak Hill. In fact, their sign even says "Louis...Alois 2" so there can be no confusion about this. I will state at the onset that I have yet to make it over to the original Alois so I will not be comparing Louis to the original Alois. However, from what I can gather from others who have been to Alois, Louis is basically a slightly cheaper version of Alois. While the setting and decor is most pleasant, it is not as "posh" as Alois. (Probably the main difference being that Louis is open to the street and therefore, doesn't have air-conditioning...but they do have plenty of overhead fans to keep the air moving...and at least on nites like tonite, when it is not too hot/humid to begin with, that is enough.) The cost savings from this, and the lack of cloth table-cloths/napkins, and fresh floral decorations, I believe is reflected in the somewhat cheaper price-points at Louis. However, the overall ambiance/decor and service are still very nice and professional.

There was a set-menu available of bacon wrapped pork tenderloin in pepper sauce or sauteed Dory fillet in a white-wine cream sauce, with choice of mixed salad or chicken-cream soup starters for B 250. Our dining party of two tried them both. We were very satisfied...the port was a generous portion of very tender meat, properly cooked, with a tasty black-pepper sauce and came with cooked vegetables (broccoli and cauliflower) and sauteed potatoes. The fish was again a well-sized boneless fillet over a mushroom and onion compote with wine cream sauce, this time, boiled potatoes. The starters were fine as well. We also perused the ala carte menu and found that the pastas were all very reasonable at B 120-220 and the meat entrees from B 250-450 [imported steaks]. House white wine, which was acceptable, was a very reasonable B 80. Desserts were also reasonably priced at B 80 for ice-creams to B 130 for fancier items like souffles and parfaits.

The set menus do not include dessert or coffee/tea (but the chef did sent us over complimentary scoops of vanilla ice-cream) but we wanted to try some to see how they were. So after the ice-cream, we order the Amaretto parfait and the chocolate souffle with vanilla ice-cream (again). Both were excellent...the souffle being a hot-centered mass of chocolate in a soft pastry-like shell, with the ice-cream and orange sauce accents making a fine finish to the meal. The total check for two people with the extra wine (1 glass, water, 2 coffees and the desserts) came to B 960. I felt it was money very well spent. If one can resist the desserts and wine, one could have the set-menu and water for B 300.

The most direct comparison to another restaurant I would make would be to Cherrys. Of course, Cherrys has their B 300 Sunday nite set as well, and this one could argue is the better deal, as it includes an amuse busche and 2 starter courses, and includes dessert and coffee (along with air-conditioning) but sometimes you just want someplace different and this new Louis fits the bill nicely for me. I look forward to returning to sample more items off their ala carte menu.

Louis is located at the end of Naklua soi 31 (adjacent to Bei Gerhard German restaurant. If you are familiar with the Lovely Home short-time hotel, that is also down Naklua soi 31. Louis can also be reached from North Pattaya Road - if one is passing the Fairtex Hotel/Spa, make a turn down the soi directly on the eastern side of the hotel and drive down towards the Lovely Home Hotel and you will see Louis. They are open all day from breakfast through dinner.

Happy dining.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Sounds like it would be worth a visit. There's always been a few decent restaurants on Soi 31.

However Bei Gerhard moved a few years ago, to Soi 16/2. Unless of course he's moved back again in the last year…

He has an excellent Chateaubriand, (serving is for at least 2 persons).

Sounds like it would be worth a visit. There's always been a few decent restaurants on Soi 31.

However Bei Gerhard moved a few years ago, to Soi 16/2. Unless of course he's moved back again in the last year…

He has an excellent Chateaubriand, (serving is for at least 2 persons).

It looked like it might have been closed but the sign was still up...I mentioned it because I thought it might be a familiar sign-post for some in finding Louis.

I tried it a couple of weeks ago after seeing a comment on another forum and can second Farang Buddha's view.

I was also impresssed that they held the price of a bottle of wine which they apparently misquoted to me - politely saying that it would probably not be the same price next time I came - this befor opening it. The staff were very professional and polite but also friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

Had another dinner last nite with 4 friends and everyone was very happy with their selections. One friend had one of the special sets, the sauteed Doray in wine-cream sauce and the shrimp salad appetizer (B 250) and said it was delicious. I had the spaghetti bolognaise, the tomato soup, and the chicken Cordon Bleu and the too were all very good. Others had the Ceasar salad, and some other fish dishes and the Thai phad pad goong (stir-fried shrimp with veggies) and she was very pleased.

So Louis is a definite recommendation of mine for good food at reasonable prices in a nice atmosphere with good service.