Must Be Married To Get Non Immigrant O?

I would like to go to Thailand, get married, apply for extension of stay based on marriage, and not come back to the US. I want to live in Thailand

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding you must have a non-immigrant O in order to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage and that you must get that in your home country before coming to Thailand. In order to get the O in your home country you have to already be married. Sounds like a catch 22.

So if what I said above is correct, I must fly to Thailand, get married, fly back to the US and get the O. Then fly back again to Thailand to live. Why do I have to fly back to get the O? That is an extreme waste of time and money. That's about 40 hours of extra flying and $1,500 more than necessary for tickets.

Is there anyway I can get an O before I leave the states even though I would not be married? Maybe I could provide a letter and other documents from my fiancee when applying for the O. I want to be able to buy a one way ticket when I am ready to leave.

I sent an email to the Thai Embassy in Chicago and no response. I have found that embassies do not respond to emails. The one time I was able to get someone on the phone they were in a rush to get me off the phone, so it was a waste. It surprises me that I have not found a similar situation on the internet. Surely there are others who flew to Thailand, got married, and were able to stay based on the marriage. Just trying to figure out how they did it.

Thanks.

I don't know where you got your information, you do not have to apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa in your home country. You may apply in a neighboring country, and under certain conditions can apply as part of the one year extension of stay process.

Several options.

Probably best would be to get a Tourist Visa (then you can use a 1 way ticket), come to Thailand and get married. You could then either buzz down to KL and get a 12 month non-o (requires exit every 90 days and 100k Baht in the bank), OR convert your tourist entry to a non-o at your local immigration office which you can then extend on the basis of marriage (there's a bunch of requirements which you should be able to find with a forum search).

Either way absolutely no need to return to the US.

By the way, ensure you've set up something with your bank so you can initiate international transfers without hassle.

Immigration office here in Phatum Thani will not issue a Non O Visa

based on marriage, I must go to the immigration office in the MFO at Cheng Wattana for this.

If you are over 50, a retirement visa would be the best option, and might be cheaper than a marriage.

Immigration office here in Phatum Thani will not issue a Non O Visa

based on marriage, I must go to the immigration office in the MFO at Cheng Wattana for this.

If you are over 50, a retirement visa would be the best option, and might be cheaper than a marriage.

Yes an Immigration office will not issue a visa, but an Extension. Also the Immigration department will

collect all your documentation from you and send it to Chaeng Wattana to be reviewed and accepted, then the

paperwork is sent back to your local Immigration office.

There is no Immigration office in the MFO!!!

to the OP.

Come here on a tourist Visa, get all the paperwork done to get Married in Thailand, takes about two days maybe three. Get Married, go on honeymoon to KL, take the wedding certificate and your wife also proof of 100,000baht in a Thai Bank account with your name, your wife's ID Card and copy of Tambien Baan, plus a letter from here asking them to issue you a Visa. Give into the Embassy, enjoy the honeymoon. Come back to Thailand, every 90 days you leave Thailand to get a Stamp to keep your Visa alive, or get 400,000baht in the Bank and a few other documents and go to your local Immigration Office, then get a years extension, no need to leave Thailand, just go back to the Immigration office every 90 days to say hello and fill out a form.