Abhisit Aghast At Lack Of Knowledge

webfact

To get zero in a multiple-choice test, you actually have to try pretty dam_n hard.

That said, if academic aptitude and knowledge really started improving across the board, I imagine a few people in positions of authority might begin to get a little nervous...

If the MCT is setup correctly and the student gets negative points for wrong answers, people who reply at random will score zero.

..and what will your score be if you answer everything with 'c)' ?

if there are four answers to every question, if we suppose answers are evenly distributed, and every wrong answer gives you -1 and every correct answer +3, then your final score expectation will be 0.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the biggest problem as i see it is.......... who can/could monitor the teachers ?? , other university educated thais that also paid for a degree ?.......what a shambles !, 95 % are thick ,98% corrupt , the rest are both !!

you will have to pay me before I acknowledge your assertion to be correct ;)

Edited by manarak

They might want to rethink their "no fail" policy then and make the kids actually work at what they are doing, rather than paying for their "certificates" - i realize that is a "blanket" statement.

no fail policy due to be phased out in 2012, or so I'm told by a very high placed and respected teacher[my wife]

"

There's no way that the no fail police will ever end. Losing face seems to be a bigger problem. :jap:

Did Abhisit really say "I can't believe that our children can be this stupid."?

Does anyone have the quote in Thai?

If he said it in Thai, I would also like to see the original.

The correct sentence will likely have been: "I can't believe our teachers can be this incapable".

And the answer is that the teachers' education is not up to international standard. I don't even blame the teachers, I blame the Ministry of Education for not educating the educators.

Is there really an International standard? Neither an American, nor an European one. What about the "World Class Standard Schools" here?

How can you blame the Ministry of Education that their educators who educate the educators, don't know how to educate their educators? :jap:

They might want to rethink their "no fail" policy then and make the kids actually work at what they are doing, rather than paying for their "certificates" - i realize that is a "blanket" statement.

Another thing is; in Thailand a teacher is only secure in his/her position as long as the students like that teacher. Poor evaluations by students will result in dismissal of the teacher concerned (I am a student at a Thai uni.). So, the result is that teachers who are lazy and virtually give away A's to all students as well as limit the work-load of students... these are the teachers who can keep their jobs. Professional teacher (lecturers), who expect high performance from students and take no nonsense from them are sacked at the end of the semester.

Being popular is more important than imparting knowledge, the teacher's jobs depend on it.

I was in Israel 10 years ago. They run an 'Ulpan' program, in which students get taught Hebrew in around 3 months. This system works very well, as I saw the results first-hand... however, I am yet to hear of one 'kind' or 'popular' teacher within this system. The teachers were rude, demanding, and completely aloof- yet it works.

Thailand cannot educate kids who have so much power over the job security of teachers.

Well, as a lecturer, I really enjoy the feedback from the students. I do think it is an important lesson for them in terms of fair grading as well as democracy. When I was a student (I'm a farang, but I studied for my MBA here), we did "fire" a teacher (at least we believe we did), and I feel that was necessary. He didn't know his stuff, and on top of that, insulted students with bad language.

For my own students, I give fair grades. That includes the odd F. The grading the students give to me (so I believe) is not about the grade they got, but how fair they think the teacher was, and - in my opinion quite important - how much fun the classes were and whether the students felt the teacher knows his stuff. Learning should be fun, and the students should benefit from the classes, each time. That's my philosophy.

I don't want to disillusion you (as a student) but if you think that grading the teacher is only a response to the grade he gave you, you still have a lot to learn about life. And in my experience, what you say is not the general truth among students, at least not among my students who subscribe to my classes the next term even though I am certainly not the mellow, A-giving type.

I'm an educator, come to me if you want to learn something. If you want to talk to your classmate or chat on your mobile device during class, feel free to get your credits with another teacher and leave my classroom. Welcome to the real world, as after uni, you are on your own. All we, the teachers, can offer you is education. If you don't want it, you can always open a noodle shop. Good luck.

Well as lecturer i would like your comment on a subject that i think was mentioned

earlier in this thread. That is how often are students allowed to say " why " or even

more so - " i disagree " ! ?

I was watching a 2006 movie the other day called " The History Boys ". Have you seen it?

I recommend it ( here is the link :- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464049/ )

It is about a headmaster who is determined to coach an unruly group of 8 boys in a Sheffield school

so the can get into Oxford or Cambridge and it is fascinating to listen to the dialogue between the teachers

and the pupils. In particular regarding the skills of critical analysis to help them with

their pre- entry " interviews " .

Do you see this critical analysis in Thai schools and Universities and if not why not ?

I wonder if you started selling calculators in Thailand that gave incorrect answers, how long would it take before someone noticed?

Oh well...the word calculators reminds be about a very good example how 'good' the educators here really are.

I used to work at a primary school in lower northeast, again the printer cartridge ran out of color. After receiving money from the director,(100 baht) I went to a shop, to get it refilled. It was 39 baht. I had my receipt and went to the Assistant director of the English department.

So I gave her 61 baht back, when she looked at me, pulled out her calculator, because she didn't believe me saying that 61+ 39 = 100.

Happens to me everywhere, buying cigarettes, 60 baht, give them a 1,000 baht bill, they take their calculator. We used to learn Math using our brains, most Thais are not able to make simple Math, without a 'helper'.

Let's modify all their calculators and wait how long it will take. Looks like they'll never find it out.....:jap:

I wonder if you started selling calculators in Thailand that gave incorrect answers, how long would it take before someone noticed?

Oh well...the word calculators reminds be about a very good example how 'good' the educators here really are.

I used to work at a primary school in lower northeast, again the printer cartridge ran out of color. After receiving money from the director,(100 baht) I went to a shop, to get it refilled. It was 39 baht. I had my receipt and went to the Assistant director of the English department.

So I gave her 61 baht back, when she looked at me, pulled out her calculator, because she didn't believe me saying that 61+ 39 = 100.

Happens to me everywhere, buying cigarettes, 60 baht, give them a 1,000 baht bill, they take their calculator. We used to learn Math using our brains, most Thais are not able to make simple Math, without a 'helper'.

Let's modify all their calculators and wait how long it will take. Looks like they'll never find it out.....:jap:

When I buy something here, I often pull out the exact change if I can. Adding multiple items in my head as I grab them. Or if I need change, I will tell them how much it will be. 99% of the time they will grab a calculator, tap it out, and a few seconds later show me the number. They are amazed that I got the answer correct. And they get embarassed if they make a mistake and I correct them, then they do it again and realize they messed up. I am not trying to shame them, just help them.

I am trying to remember how I learned addition and subtraction. It seems so easy now, but there was a time before I was 10 or maybe 12 when I struggled. Learning all the tables for 10, playing games, and learning how to read a clock. Then leaning to add double digits. After that it is simply a matter of doing it repeatedly for the next couple years. Flash Cards, those are great! Class competitions were always fun using flash cards. And you learn how to let your memory giving you the answer without thinking.

If they can learn the addition subtraction tables for the number 100, then will be able to do like we all do and give change without a calculator.

Once I partook in a card game of rummy when I first moved to Thailand. (yes I know it is illegal) - I was playing with a hundred baht in coins. The rules of their style evaded me. I asked them to please explain. They would tell me obvious things, you want to get three of a kind.... But they said that they couldn't explain everything because it was too complicated. As I played I never won even though I thought I should have. The rules seemed to be constantly changing, and people with crap hands would somehow win. Unlike everyone else, I lost my hundred very quickly. I have never played cards here again, not even just for fun. It is not fun when people cheat and lie just to beat you.

I was always lucky to have really exceptional math teachers later on. I don't think many Thais have that privilege. Maybe these math teachers need to get taught better ways of teaching.

Edited by bitterbatter

Another thing is; in Thailand a teacher is only secure in his/her position as long as the students like that teacher. Poor evaluations by students will result in dismissal of the teacher concerned (I am a student at a Thai uni.). So, the result is that teachers who are lazy and virtually give away A's to all students as well as limit the work-load of students... these are the teachers who can keep their jobs. Professional teacher (lecturers), who expect high performance from students and take no nonsense from them are sacked at the end of the semester.

Being popular is more important than imparting knowledge, the teacher's jobs depend on it.

I was in Israel 10 years ago. They run an 'Ulpan' program, in which students get taught Hebrew in around 3 months. This system works very well, as I saw the results first-hand... however, I am yet to hear of one 'kind' or 'popular' teacher within this system. The teachers were rude, demanding, and completely aloof- yet it works.

Thailand cannot educate kids who have so much power over the job security of teachers.

Well, as a lecturer, I really enjoy the feedback from the students. I do think it is an important lesson for them in terms of fair grading as well as democracy. When I was a student (I'm a farang, but I studied for my MBA here), we did "fire" a teacher (at least we believe we did), and I feel that was necessary. He didn't know his stuff, and on top of that, insulted students with bad language.

For my own students, I give fair grades. That includes the odd F. The grading the students give to me (so I believe) is not about the grade they got, but how fair they think the teacher was, and - in my opinion quite important - how much fun the classes were and whether the students felt the teacher knows his stuff. Learning should be fun, and the students should benefit from the classes, each time. That's my philosophy.

I don't want to disillusion you (as a student) but if you think that grading the teacher is only a response to the grade he gave you, you still have a lot to learn about life. And in my experience, what you say is not the general truth among students, at least not among my students who subscribe to my classes the next term even though I am certainly not the mellow, A-giving type.

I'm an educator, come to me if you want to learn something. If you want to talk to your classmate or chat on your mobile device during class, feel free to get your credits with another teacher and leave my classroom. Welcome to the real world, as after uni, you are on your own. All we, the teachers, can offer you is education. If you don't want it, you can always open a noodle shop. Good luck.

I have seen 2 lecturers get the sack from my Uni here in Thailand as a result of expecting students to actually learn something.

Firstly, I studied Law back home, and here in Thailand I had to do a Tax Law course as part of my studies. Having already completed the basic Thai Law course in the previous year, I was expecting the usual crap; easy to pass without learning. The Tax Law lecturer was magnificent; he is a prominent Tax Lawyer (well a partner in a reputable firm anyway), and very well qualified and knowledgable. The Thai students complained that he speaks too fast, and the concepts are too difficult to understand.

Fun is part of learning at tertiary level??

I suppose you also let the weak students get free grades by doing 'group' presentations and reports??

I completely disagree that fun has any place in the lecture hall. If the students are interested in learning they should go to class, if they want to have fun- go to the beach.

May I ask if you also lectured in the west?

'sirchai' timestamp='1303960022' post='4386432''bitterbatter' timestamp='1303868637' post='4383750']

Going by the example given above , I think students get an education , but mostly in the wrong things , surely an education is to prepare students for their ongoing life in the world outside of school doors , they need to be taught the basics that will train them how to survive in jobs that are available , how to question to advance those teachings .

Sorry , I think I am in the wrong thread , I was basically spouting off on being taught to THINK for themselves as an individual , how can none thinkers teach a thinking thought process ? Have to mention , need to be also taught that work is not about ' Sanook ' but more in the direction of ' Nose to the grindstone ' , life is not just a bowl of ' Cherries ' , most have been consumed when they finish being edifikated any way 555

Earlier this month, E-sarn University president Assadang Sawaengkarn acknowledged that the Office of Higher Education Commission had demanded an explanation from his institution about alleged degree-selling.

"The university's council set up a fact-finding committee to look into the allegation on April 10. The committee has 15 days to complete the investigation," he said

Wow 15 days! That is efficiency!

Earlier this month, E-sarn University president Assadang Sawaengkarn acknowledged that the Office of Higher Education Commission had demanded an explanation from his institution about alleged degree-selling.

"The university's council set up a fact-finding committee to look into the allegation on April 10. The committee has 15 days to complete the investigation," he said

Assadang and others implicated in the fake teacher certificates were fired yesterday by the University Council. :)

Edited by Buchholz

Assadang and others implicated in the fake teacher certificates were fired yesterday by the University Council. :)

Sweet! Criminal charges?

Sweet! Criminal charges?

That's not within the purview of the University Council, but there's hope.

There needs to be more of a culture of academic excellence and competitiveness. There should be more recognition and praise of academic achievement.

On television there are many stupid game shows that involve little intellect. I've came across two different game shows that involve guessing the price of items. If there were big game shows that involved knowledge or mental processing and offered large value prizes then people would be more inspired to learn and compete academically. Instead at the moment there are too many cheap drama series with glamorous miserable hi-so Thais shouting at each other.

I must say though that the PBS channel has some good educational programs.

Edited by hyperdimension

Sweet! Criminal charges?

That's not within the purview of the University Council, but there's hope.

In a hypothetical situation I could tell about spotting on numerous hypothetical occasions a married university president canoodling in restaurants in KK with different sweet young things who ( and I was reliably informed by someone who definitely would be privy to that hypothetical info) were his students.

Hypothetically of course.

Talking about maths, basic divide by 10--remove the last number-yes ??

Wrong. The correct method is: move the decimal place one digit to the left (assuming the number is of base 10 and not hexadecimal or octal etc).

wow .........

mr Einstein in LOS....

talking maths ........

i ............. am hopeless....dude

Wrong. The correct method is: move the decimal place one digit to the left (assuming the number is of base 10 and not hexadecimal or octal etc).

wow .........

mr Einstein in LOS....

talking maths ........

69 x 2 = 1 helluva good time, yet i digress.

Worked correctly it could be an advantage when exchanging currency? Ah having said that. It reminds me of the time I went to Kasikorn bank, to change some travelers cheques. Signed off £200.00 cheques (10.000Bt) girl gave me 20,000Bt. Yes I was honest.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

wow .........

mr Einstein in LOS....

talking maths ........

69 x 2 = 1 helluva good time, yet i digress.

Yes but if you don't pay the bar fines the police will arrest you for swinging when they didn't get a cut.

Why do you need it quoted in Thai? Abhisit is English?

jb1

Because I'm assuming that he made the quote in Thai. I find it unlikely that he used the term 'stupid'. Uneducated, possibly. Lacking in education, maybe. But 'stupid'?! I'd like to see the words he said rather than a possibly erroneous translation. That way I might avoid going off on some ill-informed stereotype riddled rant about Thai people.

I know a no longer so young man. The middle class family paid a bribe so he could go to Bangkok University. Absenteism and general lazyness - so he got expelled. Then he went to some univerity in Isaan. Now he is embarking on some Open University (DIY @ home, no classes 4 years' program) and how does he have a chance? He is frustrated, drinks and got to supervise kids playing games as a day job.

The family goes into debt and the whole masterplan is a shambles.

Not every one is academically gifted. Back at High School, some classmates complained to get "a headache". Still, the guy needed to go to university!

There seems to be a generations problem, too. Parents with Masters degrees insist that their kids follow them...

Chris

I have seen 2 lecturers get the sack from my Uni here in Thailand as a result of expecting students to actually learn something.

Firstly, I studied Law back home, and here in Thailand I had to do a Tax Law course as part of my studies. Having already completed the basic Thai Law course in the previous year, I was expecting the usual crap; easy to pass without learning. The Tax Law lecturer was magnificent; he is a prominent Tax Lawyer (well a partner in a reputable firm anyway), and very well qualified and knowledgable. The Thai students complained that he speaks too fast, and the concepts are too difficult to understand.

I suppose you also let the weak students get free grades by doing 'group' presentations and reports??

I completely disagree that fun has any place in the lecture hall. If the students are interested in learning they should go to class, if they want to have fun- go to the beach.

Fun is part of learning at any level. If things are difficult, it is the teacher's job to make them interesting.

Point in case: There is nothing more boring than accounting (in my humble opinion). And yet, I have experienced a teacher who made it fun to come to class and learn this stuff.

If you think that fun has no place in tertiary education, I hope that you are not a university lecturer. And no, it does not mean to let the weak student pass, it just means that you don't know how to teach and make your classes interesting. In fact, I hope that you are not a teacher, I would feel sorry for the students.

I don't doubt that teachers can get the sack if the students complain. That's the same all over the world, and it is the dean's job to consider wisely whether the students complain because he is a bad teacher or because they just don't want to work hard. It depends on the university whether they want many students or whether they want a good reputation. You will know that unis in Thailand, well probably in every coutry in the workd, have different reputations.

Fun is part of learning at any level. I am glad I was never your student. Students don't come to have fun, but lecturers do have an obligation to make the class interesting. Does your lectures consist of reading slides?

If he said it in Thai, I would also like to see the original.

The correct sentence will likely have been: "I can't believe our teachers can be this incapable".

And the answer is that the teachers' education is not up to international standard. I don't even blame the teachers, I blame the Ministry of Education for not educating the educators.

Is there really an International standard? Neither an American, nor an European one. What about the "World Class Standard Schools" here?

How can you blame the Ministry of Education that their educators who educate the educators, don't know how to educate their educators? :jap:

There is a regular international comparison on secondary level, PISA : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

I don't know about a comparativce study about university students, but there will certainly be some research has been done. It becomes obvious when you have graduates in engineering or so, you can easily judge what knowledge they have, as someone in this thread already mentioned.

I don't doubt that teachers can get the sack if the students complain. That's the same all over the world, and it is the dean's job to consider wisely whether the students complain because he is a bad teacher or because they just don't want to work hard. It depends on the university whether they want many students or whether they want a good reputation. You will know that unis in Thailand, well probably in every coutry in the workd, have different reputations.

Fun is part of learning at any level. I am glad I was never your student. Students don't come to have fun, but lecturers do have an obligation to make the class interesting. Does your lectures consist of reading slides?

If students complain about teachers no doubts they get a beating.

They are not allowed to even question a teacher in class because could imply the teachers is wrong and so they lose face.

Teachers don't change because no one FORCES their ego sloughing asses into changing and staying changed.

At one time in my career in the computer mainframe manufacturing industry the recruitment and further education of graduates fell within my sphere of responsibility. The ignorance of the vast majority of applicants for positions never ceased to discomfort me. Not only did I have cause for concern regarding their standard of academic achievement and mental capabilities but also their total lack of understanding of the business world or the application of a measure of common sense.

When asked to divide 66.6 by one third and give the answer to the nearest whole number the usual response of candidates was to reach for a calculator or to ask if using one was permitted. The second most popular response was a reply of 22. I would guess that about 5% came up with the correct answer. So much for the UK education system that could no longer instill the simple rules of arithmetic and to apply them mentally! Those turning up for interview wearing jeans and trainers didn't get past my secretary, although she did allow one young man eating a hamburger to enter my office; she had a warped sense of humour. He had a busy schedule he said and was taking lunch on the fly. <deleted>?

We may all wax lyrical about the deficiencies of the Thai education system and justifiably so, but the phenomenon has much wider boundaries. I believe that the ignorant, uneducated and simply stupid of this world are in the majority and are out breeding the more intelligent and productive folk. We can all see the widening gulf between the haves and have nots on domestic and international levels, and a similar widening gulf is accelerating in the fields of education and technology. Science has advanced more in the past ten years than in the previous four and a half billion. Et tu, Thailand?

As has been pointed out the Government has to get its act together as must the professionals working in the education system, but a prime factor in producing clever knowledgeable young people is the support and interest afforded them by their parents. How many Thai adults are ambitious for their offspring? That is another nut that needs to be cracked.

Old age must be getting the best of me. I read your post and was baffled by the question divide 66.6 by one third. My first reaction was one third of what? But sometime spent working on what you were trying to say I came up with you wanted them to divide 66.6 by one third of 66.6. Am I right?

Oh my god "teacher I didn't know" B) I,m sure we all know about the decimal place. my example being if the number ended in 0 .it was the quick "way that I was referring to" like the divisible by 4-- looking at the last 2 numbers.----- div x 3..... add the numbers, if 3 goes into the total it divides exact. These were quick examples that are NOT taught here. Arithmatic is learned and stored in the brain for when it's needed. NOT with an ever present calculator. Although they are a useful addition.