Thailand Elite Card Closes Down To The Tunes Of 2.5 Billion Baht

george

What I wrote is absolutely not "not true".

1. Yes, you have to reapply for a education visa, but that point wasn't made in your original quote.

2. Yes, you have to attend school. Never said you didn't.

I have my facts straight.

The Elite visa was good for 5 years. Now you need something else. I was trying to be helpful and offer suggestions, but you react harshly and accusatory with false claims regarding my posts.

Are other card holders this unpleasant? :blink:

Sorry Buchholz I am just frustrated because of all this shit. Didn't

mean to to take it out on you, my apologies.

:wai:

According to reports in the Thai press, the issue of Thailand Elite was not brought up at yesterday's final ministerial meeting of the Abhisit government after all.

So a decision will have to await the new government, whoever that will be. Also, it seems that Thai Privilege Card has not entirely given up looking for ways to generate income for the company and save the program, although that is probably a long shot.

The never-ending story continues :whistling:

Here's the news in Thai for those who are interested:

‘อีลิทการ์ด’ ลุ้นอีก – รอรัฐบาลใหม่ชี้ชะตา ข่าวสด (หน้า ๙)

นายสมบัติ คุรุพันธ์ ปลัดกระทรวงการท่องเที่ยวและกีฬา เผย ในสัปดาห์หน้าเตรียมเชิญผู้บริหาร ททท. และทีพีซี มาหารือเรื่องการจัดทำแผนรองรับการยุติโครงการอีลิทการ์ด โดยเบื้องต้นคาดว่าจะตั้งคณะทำงานร่วม ๓ ฝ่าย คือ กระทรวงการท่องเที่ยวและกีฬา ททท. และทีพีซี ทำงานร่วมกัน โดยในทีมจะต้องมีผู้ทรงคุณวุฒิ ฝ่ายกฎหมาย และฝ่ายอื่นๆ ที่เกี่ยวข้อง มาร่วมกันจัดทำแผนเพื่อรับมือหากเกิดการฟ้องร้อง คาดจะแล้วเสร็จใน ๓ เดือน พร้อมยอมรับ กระทบต่อความมั่นใจของต่างชาติ

ขณะที่ทีพีซี อยู่ระหว่างจัดทำแผนดำเนินงานในการหารายได้ให้แก่บริษัท เพื่อจะได้ไม่ต้องยุบโครงการ โดยเมื่อแล้วเสร็จจะนำเสนอต่อรัฐบาล เพื่อเป็นทางเลือกให้ตัดสินใจอีกครั้ง

แหล่งข่าวระดับสูงจากกระทรวงการท่องเที่ยวและกีฬา เผย ในการประชุม ครม. นัดสุดท้าย เมื่อวันที่ ๓ พฤษภาคม ที่ผ่านมา กระทรวงฯ ไม่ได้นำเสนอมาตรการชดเชยให้กับสมาชิกอีลิทการ์ด และพนักงานทีพีซี เพื่อรองรับการยุติการดำเนินธุรกิจของทีพีซี เข้าสู่การพิจารณาของ ครม. ส่งผลให้เรื่องดังกล่าวต้องโอนการตัดสินใจและแก้ไขปัญหาที่จะเกิดขึ้น ให้รัฐบาลชุดใหม่เป็นผู้ตัดสินใจแทน

Edited by euroflash

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and by the way, you don't need to be a Thailand Elite Member to get Fast Track Immigration... just get a Wisdom Credit Card from Kasikorn Bank... took me about 10 minutes...

sholaisen

What's this about Fast Track Immigration with the Wisdom Credit Card?

Can anyone confirm this is true?:D

Any links to this?

• 11 months later...

With a new administration, plans to close down Thai Elite Card have been stopped. Instead, the government's Tourism and Sports Ministry has ordered the TAT to reinvigorate the Elite Card according to an article in today's other paper.

Apparently, TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni has said the proposal will be sent to Yingluck's Cabinet ASAP as the operators, TPC, will be broke in a month while also saying, "Keeping Thailand Elite Card alive will cost a lot of money and it won't generate revenue or a high return on investment. However, it could pave the way to attract investment to the country."

If revived, the revitalized program would need 500 Million Baht to restore it's paid-up capital and changes to its privileges would be necessary.

More details available in the paper's business section.

Edited by Buchholz

With a new administration, plans to close down Thai Elite Card have been stopped. Instead, the government's Tourism and Sports Ministry has ordered the TAT to reinvigorate the Elite Card according to an article in today's other paper.

Apparently, TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni has said the proposal will be sent to Yingluck's Cabinet ASAP as the operators, TPC, will be broke in a month while also saying, "Keeping Thailand Elite Card alive will cost a lot of money and it won't generate revenue or a high return on investment. However, it could pave the way to attract investment to the country."

If revived, the revitalized program would need 500 Million Baht to restore it's paid-up capital and changes to its privileges would be necessary.

Hmmm........ I wonder what the new privileges might be, considering most of the old ones disappeared faster than a driver from a bus crash. An evening with Yingluck perhaps?

Another vastly overpriced product,for the gullible, with more money than sense. sorry,but no sympathies,it was obviously a loser from day one.

Now comes the long drawn out quest for non existant compensation, and a few years.................later.....

The newspaper that can be named has a report at http://www.nationmul...d-30180712.html

The killer quote is "The announcement yesterday ended confusion on the fate of the project". I'm sure everyone believes that.

I also rather like "The card is considered as representative of Thailand."

It's ok to quote The Nation in full

TAT wants govt to persist with privilege card

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will propose that the government consider extending a new lease of life to the controversial Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), the operator of Elite card for wealthy tourists, in order to safeguard the country's tourism image at a time of global uncertainties.

The announcement yesterday ended confusion on the fate of the project, a brainchild of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whether it would be extended or terminated. A political source, who declined to be named, said that veteran politician Banharn Silpa-archa was behind the move to keep the project alive.

Last week, Banharn talked to TAT governor and TPC Board President Suraphon Svetasreni over its business plan in order to submit to the Cabinet for approval. The previous government had ordered TAT to wind up the project due largely to financial problems.

The Democrat-led government had also ordered a study for closure of the TPC. However, the current Pheu Thai-led coalition, will have to study the impact of such a move and map out a plan if it wants to close it down.

After TAT's board meeting yesterday, Suraphon said the TPC project should go ahead.

He cited a survey suggesting that if the project was cancelled, it would create a negative image about the country, especially confidence among foreign tourists. The card is considered as representative of Thailand.

If it was closed down, TPC would need Bt2.4 billion to compensate its members, excluding legal action it might face, and damage the country's image. Currently, there are 2,563 members in total.

TPC has a registered capital of Bt1 billion, with Bt500 million paid-up in 2003. The company needs to increase its paid-up capital so as to be able to spend on a business plan, especially rebranding and marketing communication campaigns.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-26

Edited by Buchholz

When will the don't haves understand it is not about "fast track"

or the freaking golfing ... it's about getting a no hassles visa,

year after year after year. Read that last part again, you get

immediately a 5 (yes FIFE) year visa, which you can renew

for another 5 years in a 2 hour immigration visit. THAT IS WHY

PEOPLE PAY THE MONEY. DHUUUU

No annual headache, no bullshit, no border runs ....

Never had a headache from using Non-imm visas, certainly not as big a headache as finally realising I'd been diddled out of a million Baht.

Who's got "diddled out of a million Baht" ?

I've gotten my moneys worth already, and hopefully will enjoy the benefits much longer ...

Yeah....I am sure you got a million bahst worth of visa runs or visits to the imm office out of it......save face much.....

I know someone that bought one....he certainly did not do it for the visa...he did it for the golf club stuff as it was extremely valuable to him for that......and if he loses it.....tuff titties cos he paid 21 mil for his merc and totaled it....

When will the don't haves understand it is not about "fast track"

or the freaking golfing ... it's about getting a no hassles visa,

year after year after year. Read that last part again, you get

immediately a 5 (yes FIFE) year visa, which you can renew

for another 5 years in a 2 hour immigration visit. THAT IS WHY

PEOPLE PAY THE MONEY. DHUUUU

No annual headache, no bullshit, no border runs ....

Never had a headache from using Non-imm visas, certainly not as big a headache as finally realising I'd been diddled out of a million Baht.

Who's got "diddled out of a million Baht" ?

I've gotten my moneys worth already, and hopefully will enjoy the benefits much longer ...

Yeah....I am sure you got a million bahst worth of visa runs or visits to the imm office out of it......save face much.....

I know someone that bought one....he certainly did not do it for the visa...he did it for the golf club stuff as it was extremely valuable to him for that......and if he loses it.....tuff titties cos he paid 21 mil for his merc and totaled it....

It was a fool's deal the day it was created . Bound for failure, and failed it did .

• Like 1

Sorry for the toffee nosed ones who thought it was an upmanship thing, most were show offs, I have you haven't type. Privileged NO.... Thaksin suckers. Though it was handy for the few.

In your eagerness to show disdain towards those who purchased membership with Thai Elite you have grasped at quite the wrong end of the stick.

Membership for me meant nothing of showing off, it did however present visa benefits, easier transport to and from the airport, faster passage through the airport, and great golf privileges which would have paid for the membership fees within a handful of years.

Those who signed up, myself included were foolish to take a deal too good to be true. I hope membership continues with the same benefits.

Because I could afford the 1MB does not make me any better than you or anyone else, I'd be stupid to think anything of the sought, much in the same manner you have made a flawed assumption of those who purchased.

Can you read also I said quote- "Though it was handy for a few" you were covered, so why do you think I was sort of jealous ??? I and others could afford it, dont think for 1 minute you were a minority, try not to be touchy, it is not -has and not have's ...so if your judgement was impaired and I spoke some truths, back off, it was your decision not mine. Having a go back at me makes you feel o.k. well good. Please read again what I was trying to say about the scheme. NOWT personal mate.

Tourism Authority against Canceling Thailand Elite Card

The Tourism Authority of Thailand plans to oppose the Tourism and Sports Ministry's decision to cancel the Thailand Elite Card program.

Tourism Authority of Thailand, or TAT, Governor Surapol Swetsrani said the TAT board is opposed to Deputy Prime Minister and Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa's decision to shut down the Thailand Privilege Card Company, which manages the Thailand Elite Card.

The TAT reasoned that foreign investors from Australia and Indonesia, who are card members, have invested over 20 billion baht in mega business projects in Thailand such as five star hotels, furniture, and machinery so continuing the card would facilitate their stay in the Kingdom.

The governor voiced concern that if the minister cancels the card, the TAT will need to compensate over 2.4 billion baht to card members. Furthermore, card members may file lawsuits against state agencies, while investors will lose their confidence to invest in Thailand.

In the meantime, the TAT Governor also announced the “Pattaya International Music Festival 2012” event to promote Pattaya as a family travel destination and music center of the eastern region.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-26

footer_n.gif

Hmmm........ I wonder what the new privileges might be, considering most of the old ones disappeared faster than a driver from a bus crash. An evening with Yingluck perhaps?

In the same report, one of the changes is dropping its lifetime validity to 30 years.

I want say unbelievable the govt is not offering some compensation/money back upfront like a prorated deal (but I have to remember TIT). That is, you bought the card X years ago, a person's average life expectancy is X years, so here is the prorated refund. But no, when it comes to getting money back from a Thai company and apparently the Thai govt, you have to fight for it. TIT.

I'm guessing also that since there are no class action lawsuits in Thailand that each person who wants their money back will have to sue individually. The court will then have to check to see how many perks were used by that particular individual, and whether or not they received their money's worth. I guess there is some value to that. It means the farangs who bought the card strictly for the visa will probably see a big chunk of their money returned. Meanwhile, those who abused the golf privileges will probably get nothing.

Sounds like years of litigation which can get expensive and frustrating. So, I expect most Elite Card owners won't go that route and the Thai govt knows that. Instead Elite Card owners will send a lot of letters, make a lot of phone calls, maybe have a Thai lawyer do some chest beating, etc...but chest beating short of filing a lawsuit.

Once a Thai company has your money; they got your money and really, really, really hate giving any of it back....but I hope the Elite Card owners do get something back and the govt comes out with some "fair play" details later....then again, since this deals with refunding some money, TIT.

Pib, I agree with you.

In fact the Press Release has some language that suggests this:

"The Tourism and Sports Ministry, whose state agency the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is TPC's sole owner, was instructed to prepare to compensate the 2,500-odd members should any of them take legal action once their membership is revoked."

The Government is not going to pro-actively refund Elite members. They are allocating a fund that could be used to compensate should any member take legal action. They know how long the legal process takes, how time consuming it is and that most members will probably not take legal action.

This will not end elegantly and Thai Elite members can expect a long and frustrating fight to get any compensation.

My APEC card cost me $200 and gets me priority immigration all across Asia and not just Thailand...so the only thing that the Elite card would have given me that I would have used is that electric retard card from the plane to immigration...

The Tourism Authority of Thailand plans to oppose the Tourism and Sports Ministry's decision to cancel the Thailand Elite Card program.

Tourism Authority of Thailand, or TAT, Governor Surapol Swetsrani said the TAT board is opposed to Deputy Prime Minister and Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa's decision to shut down the Thailand Privilege Card Company, which manages the Thailand Elite Card.

The TAT reasoned that foreign investors from Australia and Indonesia, who are card members, have invested over 20 billion baht in mega business projects in Thailand such as five star hotels, furniture, and machinery so continuing the card would facilitate their stay in the Kingdom.

The governor voiced concern that if the minister cancels the card, the TAT will need to compensate over 2.4 billion baht to card members. Furthermore, card members may file lawsuits against state agencies, while investors will lose their confidence to invest in Thailand.

In the meantime, the TAT Governor also announced the “Pattaya International Music Festival 2012” event to promote Pattaya as a family travel destination and music center of the eastern region.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

"In the meantime, the TAT Governor also announced the “Pattaya International Music Festival 2012” event to promote Pattaya as a family travel destination and music center of the eastern region."

Thanks a bunch TAT. So we Pattaya residents have to put up with Beach Road being closed down and the ensuing traffic chaos throughout the city? It is beyond my imagination that thousands around the World will be dashing off to travel agencies or bombing around the Internet to arrange for cheap flights so that they may attend a non prestigious non musical event in Sin City. Isn't there enough dross in Pattaya as it is? Does anybody at TAT really believe that a deafening cacophony led by some scruffy git, or a half naked female, screaming into a microphone will bring in millions in foreign exchange? Will it attract families from abroad? My thought is that it will certainly attract the drug dealers.

Just how International will the event be? Has anybody in TAT ever heard of Glastonbury or Woodstock? Although not to my taste in music I can readily understand why they are prime and joyous attractions for the younger element. For pity's sake move the circus out of town - the baht bus mafia will love you for it.

TAT should try raising their sights and put on something like the Sir Henry Wood Promenade concerts, Glynbourne or the open air concerts that I have attended in Boston and the Hollywood Bowl. There is now a host of Asian concert performers that folks in the Western World flock to see and listen to, and one or two first class orchestras that might well accede to perform. Alas none of them is Thai. Why not promote Thai classical music and dance? Fifty years ago a show called Ipi Tombi, which was about Zulu culture, took the Western World by storm, made big bucks and won at least one prestigious award. Wouldn't a similar exercise excite interest in Thailand and give birth to thoughts of visiting the Land of Scams?

I guess that the above will change nothing. Casting pearls before swine comes to mind.

Sorry, you won't like this, but there's a lot of "dross" heading your way

TAT expects 150,000 visitors at Pattaya International Music Festival 2012

http://www.pattayama...ival-2012-12233

as for "half-naked females"

girlyberry.jpg

Girly Berry is one of the scheduled bands to play....

no doubt part of TAT's effort "to promote Pattaya as a family travel destination"

*We return you now to the Thailand Elite Card show with no further commercial interuption*

- Tourism Authority of Thailand

Edited by Buchholz

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Pattaya as a family travel destination? I don't think so!

Edited by bigbamboo

Sorry for the toffee nosed ones who thought it was an upmanship thing, most were show offs, I have you haven't type. Privileged NO.... Thaksin suckers. Though it was handy for the few.

In your eagerness to show disdain towards those who purchased membership with Thai Elite you have grasped at quite the wrong end of the stick. Membership for me meant nothing of showing off, it did however present visa benefits, easier transport to and from the airport, faster passage through the airport, and great golf privileges which would have paid for the membership fees within a handful of years. Those who signed up, myself included were foolish to take a deal too good to be true. I hope membership continues with the same benefits. Because I could afford the 1MB does not make me any better than you or anyone else, I'd be stupid to think anything of the sought, much in the same manner you have made a flawed assumption of those who purchased.

Can you read also I said quote- "Though it was handy for a few" you were covered, so why do you think I was sort of jealous ??? I and others could afford it, dont think for 1 minute you were a minority, try not to be touchy, it is not -has and not have's ...so if your judgement was impaired and I spoke some truths, back off, it was your decision not mine. Having a go back at me makes you feel o.k. well good. Please read again what I was trying to say about the scheme. NOWT personal mate.

I read your comments as an attack on those members who misguidedly or not decided to invest and thought it unfair. The additional sentence of 'handy for a few' did little to swing the pendulum of apparent bias back into the realms of impartiality.

I know a number of people who joined the Thai Elite Program, not one of them is what you suggest in your opening sentence.

On Topic: I do hope this is good news for the program and those who've invested. However, as another poster has mentioned, news reports on the T.E. Program have been nothing if inaccurate and only prove to show a level of indecisiveness.

I want say unbelievable the govt is not offering some compensation/money back upfront like a prorated deal (but I have to remember TIT). That is, you bought the card X years ago, a person's average life expectancy is X years, so here is the prorated refund. But no, when it comes to getting money back from a Thai company and apparently the Thai govt, you have to fight for it. TIT.

I'm guessing also that since there are no class action lawsuits in Thailand that each person who wants their money back will have to sue individually. The court will then have to check to see how many perks were used by that particular individual, and whether or not they received their money's worth. I guess there is some value to that. It means the farangs who bought the card strictly for the visa will probably see a big chunk of their money returned. Meanwhile, those who abused the golf privileges will probably get nothing.

Sounds like years of litigation which can get expensive and frustrating. So, I expect most Elite Card owners won't go that route and the Thai govt knows that. Instead Elite Card owners will send a lot of letters, make a lot of phone calls, maybe have a Thai lawyer do some chest beating, etc...but chest beating short of filing a lawsuit.

Once a Thai company has your money; they got your money and really, really, really hate giving any of it back....but I hope the Elite Card owners do get something back and the govt comes out with some "fair play" details later....then again, since this deals with refunding some money, TIT.

Pib, I agree with you.

"The Tourism and Sports Ministry, whose state agency the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is TPC's sole owner, was instructed to prepare to compensate the 2,500-odd members should any of them take legal action once their membership is revoked."

The Government is not going to pro-actively refund Elite members. They are allocating a fund that could be used to compensate should any member take legal action. They know how long the legal process takes, how time consuming it is and that most members will probably not take legal action.

This will not end elegantly and Thai Elite members can expect a long and frustrating fight to get any compensation.

My APEC card cost me $200 and gets me priority immigration all across Asia and not just Thailand...so the only thing that the Elite card would have given me that I would have used is that electric retard card from the plane to immigration...

You can just see the next Visa Extension form with the appendix, 'Are you currently an Elite Card holder in the process of taking any legal action?'

• 2 weeks later...

Pib, I agree with you.

Regarding your last sentence: correct me if I am wrong, you bought the APEC because you were entitled to it, weren't you? Well, some of us do not fit the profile, therefore leading to taking decisions costing more than $200 (currency?)