Kl Success Report

Hi,

As a sort of thanks for the information on this forum, here's a report for succesfull non-o (marriage) multientry from KL.

Went to the embassy about 9am on monday 24.4. When they opened at 9.30 I got number 2027 so I guess i was 27th, numbers 10xx were used for legalizing or something different on another counter. About 30 minutes waiting and it was my turn. Presented following:

- Passport

- Copies (signed) from all passport pages

- Application (got the form from the gate when entering, plenty of time to fill while queueing)

- 1 photo

- 550 ringit visa fee

- Original marriage certificate and marriage registration

- Copies from above, signed by me and my wife

- Copy of wife's ID card signed by her

- Copy of wife's tabien baan signed by her

- Bank book showing 100.000 baht, updated two days ago

- Copy of all bank book pages, signed

- Flight reservation back to BKK for next day (probably not needed, got it handed back)

- Letter from wife asking a visa for me

Got the originals handed back after a brief look from the officer and was told to come collect the next day at 2.30pm. So I did, collection was quick, I was at the embassy again at 2.15pm and when they opened at 2.30pm I was out again with my brand new Visa, valid for 1 year, in less than 10 minutes.

Overall easy and friendly experience. Thanks again to everyone on this forum for helpful topics and posts :)

Btw, stayed in Royal Bintang hotel on Bukit Bintang, a little bit pricey perhaps but excellent location, just a few minutes walk to pretty much everything you might need, monorail station included if you must go further. Taxi from there to the embassy ~8 ringit (metered).

You can not obtain such a visa inside Thailand. From Immigration you get one year extensions of stay and never have to leave. A visa from a Consulate only allows stays of 90 days without leaving. Two very different things.

You can not obtain such a visa inside Thailand. From Immigration you get one year extensions of stay and never have to leave. A visa from a Consulate only allows stays of 90 days without leaving. Two very different things.

You can't obtain a type "O" visa in Thailand?

No you can not obtain a non immigrant O visa in Thailand. The closest thing to that is a non immigrant 90 day entry which is only provided in the process for extension of stay. Visas are issued for entry into a country - not to stay in a country.

Well, I'm not sure about this...I currently have a Non B work visa that I will be changing to a Non O marriage visa...Called Immigration and they informed me that its all good and let me know what documents I need to make the change..which I'm in the process of doing....Maybe your referring to people trying to obtain one for the first time and/or times after that...Maybe because I've already been here under one classification...they recognize the ability to change without leaving the country

If you are dealing with immigration you have extensions of stay and not visas. You may have entered on a non immigrant B visa at some point but what immigration does is extend your stay. For work, for education, for Thai wife, for parent of Thai child, etc. They are not giving you any type of visa but are extending your current permitted to stay for the specific reason you qualify for.

It's good to see that K/L is still quite 'user friendly' as far as year long multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-O visas based on marriage to a Thai national. :)

Some other places sure aren't as accommodating that's for sure. :bah:

Glad it worked out! B)

Well, I'm not sure about this...I currently have a Non B work visa that I will be changing to a Non O marriage visa...Called Immigration and they informed me that its all good and let me know what documents I need to make the change..which I'm in the process of doing....Maybe your referring to people trying to obtain one for the first time and/or times after that...Maybe because I've already been here under one classification...they recognize the ability to change without leaving the country

It's a bit confusing.

Immigration indeed does not issue visa's (what you need to enter Thailand), however, they can change your "status" in Thailand.

i.e. you entered on a tourist visa, so you are here on tourist status.

You qualify for an extension of 1 year for any valid reason (i.e. retired, being over 50 and having sufficient income/funds), but immigration can only issue this extension when you are here on non immigrant status, for example when you entered with a non immigrant visa.

Immigration can change you to non immigrant O status without you having to leave Thailand (immigration fee 2,000 Baht), after which they are able to issue you with a 1 year extension based on retirement (1,900 Baht fee).

Same for being married. The reason it's complicated uis that immigration has to confirm that you are indeed qualifying for a 1 year extension before changing your immigration status (followed by your extension).

It's a bit confusing.

Immigration indeed does not issue visa's (what you need to enter Thailand), however, they can change your "status" in Thailand.

You qualify for an extension of 1 year for any valid reason (i.e. retired, being over 50 and having sufficient income/funds), but immigration can only issue this extension when you are here on non immigrant status, for example when you entered with a non immigrant visa.

Immigration can change you to non immigrant O status without you having to leave Thailand (immigration fee 2,000 Baht), after which they are able to issue you with a 1 year extension based on retirement (1,900 Baht fee).

Same for being married. The reason it's complicated uis that immigration has to confirm that you are indeed qualifying for a 1 year extension before changing your immigration status (followed by your extension).

Ok thanks...this makes sense

It's a bit confusing.

Let me ask you this and see if you know....My current Non B visa expires Sept 30...If I change my Type B to a Type O...say on May 15...does the one year extension start from May 15, expiring May 14 next year or does it just coinside and start running concurrently with thye existing visa and still will expitre on Sept 30 this year then have to renew again at that time...does that make sense???

If you are allowed to stay until September you must have an extension of stay at this time for work? At the end of work you can change that to Thai wife or at the next extension of stay time (September). If still working there is no need to change earlier. The change will be for a new one year stay.

• 3 weeks later...

What about a Non Immigrant O for retirement?

Currently in Thailand on a tourist VISA.

I own a condo in Thailand and want to get a retirement VISA.

Am over 50 with 800,000 in a Thai Bank.

Do I need to go to KL and apply for a Non Immigrant O VISA?

The above posted list of requirements similar?

Will they require a medical and police record report?

Thanks

Where are you staying and how long is the money in the bank?

If longer than 3 monthsand you are staying in Pattaya, Bangkok or Chinag Mai you could convert from your toruist visa to a non-immirgant visa without leaving the cuntry.

No, for a non-O visavisa (or extension) no police report or medical is needed.

Depends on your situation.

If you are in Chinag Mai, Pattaya or Bangkok it is easy to convert from your tourist visa to a non-immirgant visa at immigration. If you live elsewhere, immigration is likely to send you to Bangkok to do it.

What you need for conversion is a fee of 2,000 baht and an updated bankbook and bankletter confirming the money. You might need to come back after a week, to get the conversion. Once you have the conversion, you can get the 1 year extension of stay. Some will do it right away, but they might also tell you to come back for the 1 year extension after 60 days.

The other option is to go abroad and just apply for the non-O visa based on retirement. Any consulate in the region will do, just bring an updated bankbook.

• 3 weeks later...
<br />If you are dealing with immigration you have extensions of stay and not visas.  You may have entered on a non immigrant B visa at some point but what immigration does is extend your stay.  For work, for education, for Thai wife, for parent of Thai child, etc.  They are not giving you any type of visa but are extending your current permitted to stay for the specific reason you qualify for.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Can I convert 30 days on arrival into Non O based on parent (have a 7 year old daughter) in Thailand ?

Or do I have to come in with a non o from the beginning ?

I work abroad on ships at various length of time and go from work to home (in Thailand) so I don't have time to apply for visa before entering - I may need to go to Kl and optain a non o than when I come home next time ?

You can't obtain a type "O" visa in Thailand?

Please read house rules regarding the veracity of claims made by the admin or mod team. This certainly breaks house rules... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules No. 21

<br />
<br />
<br />You can not obtain such a visa inside Thailand.  From Immigration you get one year extensions of stay and never have to leave.  A visa from a Consulate only allows stays of 90 days without leaving.  Two very different things.<br />
<br /><br /><br />You can't obtain a type "O" visa in Thailand?<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />Please read house rules regarding the veracity of claims made by the admin or mod team. This certainly breaks house rules... <a href='http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules' class='bbc_url' title=''>http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules</a> No. 21<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Don't see the crime in asking - I guess I need a proper visa to extend rather than the 30 day on arrival than.

You can only change/obtain to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration if in the process of extending stay for one year (and meet those qualifications). My post was directed to multi entry non immigrant O visa of the original poster. No such visa is issued by immigration.

In your case if you can qualify for one year extension of stay it might be possible to obtain but your work schedule (or lack thereof) is likely to kill it as first you need the non immigrant visa + 60 days plus 30 days under consideration so likely very hard to do. Multi entry would be best but not likely available locally (KL only supports marriage with 100k) so I would ask a Consulate in home country explaining the need as you do not have the consecutive time to apply for extension of stay.

Remember any entry can be extended 60 days if living with child so that is an option that may cover you.

<br />You can only change/obtain to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration if in the process of extending stay for one year (and meet those qualifications).  My post was directed to multi entry non immigrant O visa of the original poster.  No such visa is issued by immigration.<br /><br />In your case if you can qualify for one year extension of stay it might be possible to obtain but your work schedule (or lack thereof) is likely to kill it as first you need the non immigrant visa + 60 days plus 30 days under consideration so likely very hard to do.  Multi entry would be best but not likely available locally (KL only supports marriage with 100k) so I would ask a Consulate in home country explaining the need as you do not have the consecutive time to apply for extension of stay.<br /><br />Remember any entry can be extended 60 days if living with child so that is an option that may cover you.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks very much for this info !

If I can extend my 30 days on arrival with 60 days - that will cover most of my homestays.

I will try that next time I come home. I used to travel out every 30 days and just reenter on 30 on arrival again (daughter loves going to Singapore)! That is good news though (diden't think of that).