Importing A Car

RAZZELL

I know this topic has been done to death...

BUT...has anyone any experience of their "Thai" other half bringing in a car as a "personal import".

I believe if they have lived abroad and the car has been registered in their name for more than a year they can "import" a car without paying the duty. They can drive it and then after one year it can get a Thai registration.

Cheers.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Not gonna happen, Razz....

Wealthy Thais (and their children) often live abroad for years at a time, and even they can't get it done. Sometimes I'm not sure people are aware of how many Thais with means are living abroad - if they could bring cars in, well a large family could have quite the business by shipping a family member abroad for a year and then bringing supercars back.... not going to happen.

Give it a shot though, if you think you are slick enough to play this game :) Post results.

Not gonna happen, Razz....

Wealthy Thais (and their children) often live abroad for years at a time, and even they can't get it done. Sometimes I'm not sure people are aware of how many Thais with means are living abroad - if they could bring cars in, well a large family could have quite the business by shipping a family member abroad for a year and then bringing supercars back.... not going to happen.

Give it a shot though, if you think you are slick enough to play this game :) Post results.

I appreciate there are plenty of rich Thai's...I often work near the LSE in London and see plenty of Thai students...and the fees ain't cheap! And nor are their handbags :lol:

Plus, I was asking as I read of one guy on another forum who's done it (albeit 13 years ago)....I appreciate the usual route is expensive/hard/virtually impossible...but I'm asking for PERSONAL experiences of this method. Ta :wai:;)

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

What are u doing up submaniac? Or are you in Cali?

And yes, I also looked into this in 2004 (dual-national like you) and was told they had closed that loophole for quite some time already.

Isn't there an old epic tale about a member named tuktukmike who tried to get a car in here and was met with major disappointment (and loss of his beloved car)?

A car is not looked upon as " household goods" which are free of import tax when returning to Thailand.

Sorry I cannot provide you with the link since the Thai customs site, English version, seems to be down.

C

Edit for link cache text;

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties.

Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects

NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this rebate.

Edited by Carib

What are u doing up submaniac? Or are you in Cali?

And yes, I also looked into this in 2004 (dual-national like you) and was told they had closed that loophole for quite some time already.

Isn't there an old epic tale about a member named tuktukmike who tried to get a car in here and was met with major disappointment (and loss of his beloved car)?

I am an insomniac too!!!! Yeah, I think we might have had this conversation too. I remember something about you wanting to bring in a BMW 850i or Landrover or something. Pity the rules changed. :(