In Chiang Mai

Gonzo the Face

In CM does anyone out there pay their Water and/or electric bills by electronic banking ?

I use Bangkok Bank and use their Bualuang I Banking for the payment of many bills including TOT.

Would like very much to do The Water Works and the Electric company. Anyone with experience doing that , with these two?

Gonzo

Just go and ask at your Bangkok bank branch.

We set up auto pay for the electric company a couple years ago. Had to make a trip out to the electric company office on CM-Lamphun Rd to complete the paperwork. The kicker was in stopping the auto pay when we moved from that condo unit. We asked Bangkok Bank to stop it after a certain date, and instead they stopped it as soon as we submitted the paperwork. As a result, the final bill was unpaid and late, which meant another trip to the electric company to pay the bill.

We also set up internet service on autopay, I think it was known as TTT at the time. Fortunately, their office was in KSK, along with out BKK branch, so the fact that we couldn't seem to get to happen for about three billing cycles wasn't a big headache. Then TTT changed their corporate structure and the autopay stopped. It was a major hassle, again, to get it started.

Just go and ask at your Bangkok bank branch.

We set up auto pay for the electric company a couple years ago. Had to make a trip out to the electric company office on CM-Lamphun Rd to complete the paperwork. The kicker was in stopping the auto pay when we moved from that condo unit. We asked Bangkok Bank to stop it after a certain date, and instead they stopped it as soon as we submitted the paperwork. As a result, the final bill was unpaid and late, which meant another trip to the electric company to pay the bill.

We also set up internet service on autopay, I think it was known as TTT at the time. Fortunately, their office was in KSK, along with out BKK branch, so the fact that we couldn't seem to get to happen for about three billing cycles wasn't a big headache. Then TTT changed their corporate structure and the autopay stopped. It was a major hassle, again, to get it started.

Thanks for NancyL, but not looking for autopay.....I would never sign up for that program..... don't like it....

What I am asking is the I Banking program where when you get your bill and it is ok , you can go on line and pay for it with your own banking billpaying program... A little different.

I am sure that that the bank would be able to give me the answer, but I thought I would ask here first, to see if anyone was doing it.

Thanks though

G

I was hoping to set it up also. Looked at the BBK iBanking and the add payee lists and couldn't figure out which to use. Believe it shows PEA (Provincial Electric Authority) & MEA (Metropolitan Electric Authority). Didn't know which to use and didn't want to take a chance I was paying the wrong place. :D

I was hoping to set it up also. Looked at the BBK iBanking and the add payee lists and couldn't figure out which to use. Believe it shows PEA (Provincial Electric Authority) & MEA (Metropolitan Electric Authority). Didn't know which to use and didn't want to take a chance I was paying the wrong place. :D

I know that exact same feeling.....

G

I just started online banking with Kassikorn but someone told me that water and power aren't available as payee merchants for some reason. At least the power company has introduced drive through payment booths that are active for the first ten days or so of each month in Nong Hoi - very quick and efficient they are too.

In Chiang Mai it is PEA. MEA is in Bangkok, Nanthaburi, and Samut Prakan according to their website while PEA claims to cover the remaining 99% (according to their website) of the country.

Where did you find PEA on the payee list? I saw MEA and TOT Elec along with some CAT divisions under utilities but not PEA? I'd love to set this up to do online as well...

Where did you find PEA on the payee list? I saw MEA and TOT Elec along with some CAT divisions under utilities but not PEA?

It was well over a year ago when I went to set it up and it was there. I went through their entire list of payees and it is not there now. Seems the utilities list is shorter then before. Strange considering the number of really odd payees on the list that they would drop a big one like that.

Currently I receive the bill/slip in a small box at the house which is printed out on the spot by the meter reader and take it to 7/11. Wonder if it was dropped when that mechanism went into place.

Where did you find PEA on the payee list? I saw MEA and TOT Elec along with some CAT divisions under utilities but not PEA?

It was well over a year ago when I went to set it up and it was there. I went through their entire list of payees and it is not there now. Seems the utilities list is shorter then before. Strange considering the number of really odd payees on the list that they would drop a big one like that.

That is unfortunate... thought maybe I had just missed it somehow. I did notice Bacardi was listed on there. That may be of some use... :D

I doubted that the water co would be listed and am rather certain of it now since the Electric co is not. It's convenient but really so is stopping at a 7/11 for me. I did see a form for an automatic debit on the PEA website but, like the OP, I prefer to pay the bill after I have inspected it.

Based on NancyL's experience above, I'll stay away from automatic bill payment. Just reading this short thread took almost as much time than my monthly trip to 7-11 for my electric and telephone bill and the monthly (or bi-monthly) trip to the mall for my internet bill.

btw, does anyone know where the closest 7-11 is?

I think you must first setup the online payments at the PEA web site. The web site is in Thai language, as are the bills.

I was also told by a lady at Bangkok Bank, Thapae, if I brought a bill in she would help set it up.

The web site for PEA is http://www.pea.co.th/th/index.php . Do not go to the English version! A short ways down the Thai language web site is a link to "PEA ePay". That url is http://epay.pea.co.th/epay/ . If you can read Thai you may be able to get it to work. It also has a download (in Thai) for instructions.

This, I believe, is to make the payments if you choose. Not Autopay. There is also a download if you want to setup Autopay at a bank.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Based on NancyL's experience above, I'll stay away from automatic bill payment. Just reading this short thread took almost as much time than my monthly trip to 7-11 for my electric and telephone bill and the monthly (or bi-monthly) trip to the mall for my internet bill.

Water bill also, 10 baht extra per item but hassle free makes it well worth the extra.

JL

Water bill also, 10 baht extra per item but hassle free makes it well worth the extra.

JL

I can't pay my water bill at 7-11. How do you do that? if I'm home when they read my water meter, I pay on the spot. If I'm not home, all they leave is the stub, which has no bar code. 7-11's don't know how to handle that. My solution is to have my landlord pay it and I reimburse her. But if I could pay it myself, I would rather do that.

Gonzo,

Even though you are not in favor of it (and it does not answer your question), I thought I would offer this method/example of auto pay.

1. Have BKK Bank iBanking

2. Set separate account set up strictly for auto pay

3. Have all utility bills for 2 houses sent to this separate account.

4. Watch payments on line

5. Transfer monies on line to the utility account as required (I like have 2 to 3 months of bills in there in case I am traveling or forget to check on time)

This gives me control of my financial exposure to errors in billing which, I am happy to say, have not occurred in the 5 years we have this in place. And it gives me records I would probably not have otherwise (though I have not a use for all that data yet).

Our thought in setting up autopay was that the utility bills would get paid even if we're out of town.

In practice, though, we found we don't travel very often and after the problems in setting up and stopping autopay at our previous place, we have reverted to the good old 7-11 system now for the electric in our new place. We're a stone's throw from the AIS office so we just go in and pay that in person. The advantage is that we can use our U.S.-issued visa card at the AIS office and get good exchange rates with a refund of our foreign transactions charges from our credit union which issued the visa card.

I like noise's idea of setting up a separate account for autopay, especially if you don't think we'll be around all the time to initiate payments every month, either in person or using internet banking (which is what Gonzo is interested in, I think)

I autopay my TOT and PEA bills from Bangkok band and have done for 6 years.

Absolutely no problems.

And it saves a few satang since I pay exactly, even if xx satang. No rounding up. Must have almost save the cost of a small beer by now?

I can't pay my water bill at 7-11. How do you do that? if I'm home when they read my water meter, I pay on the spot. If I'm not home, all they leave is the stub, which has no bar code. 7-11's don't know how to handle that. My solution is to have my landlord pay it and I reimburse her. But if I could pay it myself, I would rather do that.

They have a large book that they pull out when I pay mine. I don't remember if they scan a bar code from it (I know I've seen them do that but not sure for what) or type in a code but they take care of the water bill without any problems so far. Maybe try a different 7/11?

Electric Bills and City Water can be paid at any 7-11 before the due date. After that date you must go directly to the electric company office. Water Bills for a Moo Ban or Gated Community are often paid to the local jurastic person via their office in your housing, condo, or apt complex.

• 2 weeks later...

What part of the water bill is delivered to you in Chiang Mai? We used to get both parts. We got the longer part with all of the information as to usage, etc. and the shorter stub they gave us back when we made the payment.

Now they only leave the shorter stub with no usage information. Is there any way to see your usage online?

BTW you can pay your TOT bill with a credit card at their payment site: TOT

• 2 months later...

Where do I go to pay my late water bill? Can I pay together with next month bill (like internet bill) ? or they will cut out water if no payment (like meter bill)?

For last months, Water bill is usually collected by staff and we just pay cash to him. but from this month he didnt come and I also forget to open my letter box. now it's overdue 2 days and cant pay at 7/11.

Gonzo,

Even though you are not in favor of it (and it does not answer your question), I thought I would offer this method/example of auto pay.

1. Have BKK Bank iBanking

2. Set separate account set up strictly for auto pay

3. Have all utility bills for 2 houses sent to this separate account.

4. Watch payments on line

5. Transfer monies on line to the utility account as required (I like have 2 to 3 months of bills in there in case I am traveling or forget to check on time)

This gives me control of my financial exposure to errors in billing which, I am happy to say, have not occurred in the 5 years we have this in place. And it gives me records I would probably not have otherwise (though I have not a use for all that data yet).

This is probably the smartest solution. I've been doing the same for all of the utility bills at home as well.

Where do I go to pay my late water bill? Can I pay together with next month bill (like internet bill) ? or they will cut out water if no payment (like meter bill)?

For last months, Water bill is usually collected by staff and we just pay cash to him. but from this month he didnt come and I also forget to open my letter box. now it's overdue 2 days and cant pay at 7/11.

If you live in Chiang Mai city then you must pay at the Water Board office next to Tesco Khamtieng on the Super Highway, its just before the Tesco, on the same side of the Super Highway at the u-turn.

ive been paying my true tv subscriptions,through bkk bank i banking for the last 4 years,and getting a discount for doing it but i had to set it up at true offices not at the bank branch,maybe its same in los for all dds.you need to go to relevant utility offices

Edited by true blue