Short Term Internet Options In Pattay?

Richb2004v2

Maybe I will be as well just getting a land line. I can't imagine it cost too much and I expect there to be many half decent providers in Pattaya.

There may well be a land-line already installed, so just a matter on turning service back on, then getting a DSL provider. Many DSL plans here require a 12 month contract, and often have high cancellation fees, so if you do go this route review the T's & C's carefully.

If you can get True 3G then that is an option. There are MiFi devices which establish the 3G connection then act as a 5-port WiFI AP. You may be able to find a less-expensive 850 Mhz-compatible MiFi device, from Huawei.

Probably not. The relevant model is the Huawei E5838. Don't see many going cheap. Cheaper to buy multiple dongles. :) I guess it's really useful for iPads with a 3G capability.

To get a landline and an ISP you'll have to have a 1 year agreement with the provider.

You can get a 590 baht a month service from TOT and they give you a modem for free with a 1 year contract, but it's not a wifi modem, 1 or 2 LAN connections maybe.

Don't know what they'll do when you bugger off after 4 months but your landlord will have to agree to it and maybe want a deposit.

Or you could get an AIS dongle for 1,090 Baht with 50 free hours of use and top up as you want by buying cards, 1 for each laptop I would guess.

I used one when travelling around Thailand in February and they're fine for surfing the web and doing emails.

To get a landline and an ISP you'll have to have a 1 year agreement with the provider.

You can get a 590 baht a month service from TOT and they give you a modem for free with a 1 year contract, but it's not a wifi modem, 1 or 2 LAN connections maybe.

Don't know what they'll do when you bugger off after 4 months but your landlord will have to agree to it and maybe want a deposit.

Or you could get an AIS dongle for 1,090 Baht with 50 free hours of use and top up as you want by buying cards, 1 for each laptop I would guess.

I used one when travelling around Thailand in February and they're fine for surfing the web and doing emails.

This is just EDGE and AIS EDGE at that. A waste of money.

Better to buy a 3G modem compatible with TRUE 3G for a little more. If travelling to parts where there is no TRUE 3G, you can revert to EDGE with any of the three main networks.

We went to Tuk Com today to inquire. There were many different devices on offer. Many of them were 3G and the seller was keen for me to buy one as it's the best. Luckily I asked him does Pattaya have 3G everywhere to which he answered 'Pattaya does not have 3G'. Great!

In the end a different shop almost convinced me that a Happy Sim with a device called, I think, Miatai (or something). It was 1000 baht for the device and the sim. I didn't get it as I figured I would maybe try to ask a neighbor when we move in.

I will check at the True shop too.

I will be in Chok Chai 7/8 over the railway line near Siam Country Club (I think).

Don't buy anything without confirming here first. Get full model numbers.

If you have a friend in England, get him to buy one or two of the modems(compatible with TRUE 3G) I linked to and stick them in the post. £14 each plus maybe £7 for International Signed For postage. 1700 baht for 2. Much the same as you would pay for one modem in Pattaya.

Don't bother with Tukcom, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Sounds as if he was trying to get rid of his old stock of EDGE modems. If he didn't know about 3G being in Pattaya, he should be in another game.

Some DTAC 3G modems will work(as long as they are not Network Locked) as well as TRUE 3G modems. AIS modems and EDGE modems are are not of much use to you. All are relatively expensive in Pattaya. The TRUE 3G modem is 2000 baht. If none are available, you can get an i-Fox 3G-510, 3G-590, HSPA-800, HSPA-920 or the HSPA621Rx.

If you have a friend who can move swiftly, you will have the modems from the UK in around a week. Two day delivery to him/her and five to Thailand.

Ask at the TRUE shop if they can get a Technician to visit your home with a modem to check for coverage.

TRUE 3G coverage is definitely improving in Pattaya. Though I don't know about East Pattaya.

In the end I bought an aircard which says 'MaiTe' on it. I think it's some sort of Chinese affair. It cost 1000 baht with the Happy DTAC Sim and I think 10 hours use on it. I am using it now. It is hit and miss but on the whole I am satisfied with it. I was so confused by the myriad of different devices on offer I just gave in and plumed for this one. Anyway there is a fast internet cafe on the corner for 15 baht and hour so it will do.