Do You Like Living Here ?

GM1955

Oh, leave him alone. He's a happy sailor.

I think people have trouble with the culture. The problem is every farang is an expert on Thai culture. It matters not if they have been in country five days or fifty years. Everybody is an expert on Thai culture.

The most happy and comfortable farangs I know are those that grew up here, went to school, speak the language etc.

Yes I've seen them. Drank with them. The miserable middle-aged yet strangley adolescent farangs sitting around drinking beer in places like Pattaya. Moaning about anything and everything. Consumed by desire and beer. They aren't happy. They have all this free time and beautiful women, great food, cheap hotels, friendly natives - yet there is something desperatly wrong.

I'd rather have episodes of perecieved adventure in the seven-eleven that be miserable and cynical.

Come on i know 8 year old girls with more balls then this guy with his primal fear and bonding with soi dogs :D :D :D :D :D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, leave him alone. He's a happy sailor.

I think people have trouble with the culture. The problem is every farang is an expert on Thai culture. It matters not if they have been in country five days or fifty years. Everybody is an expert on Thai culture.

The most happy and comfortable farangs I know are those that grew up here, went to school in Bangkok, speak the language etc. Their parents often live live here too. I know a few farang like that.

Then there's the doomed farang with the hunted look about them. Yes I've seen them. Drank with them. The miserable middle-aged yet strangley adolescent farangs sitting around drinking beer in places like Pattaya. Moaning about anything and everything. Consumed by desire and beer. They aren't happy. They have all this free time and beautiful women, great food, cheap hotels, friendly natives - yet there is something desperatly wrong.

I'd rather have episodes of perecieved adventure in the seven-eleven that be miserable and cynical like the hunted farang.

Not me. The only culture I have is in my yoghurt.

But, yes, there are some westerners who know a lot about foreign cultures.

Like the communication culture between Soi dogs. :D

(Just messing with you, trisailer. Keep your eyes open and my day will come and you can have your fun at my expense..)

I guess I'm somewhat of an anomaly. I only live in Thailand 5 months of the year. The remaining 7 months I live in Canada where many of my friends and family live. That suits me perfectly because I'm single and enjoy being single. I live two parallel lives that are not remotely alike, other than I practise my few hobbies wherever I am. Knowing what I know now I don't think I would be happy living full time in either country. When I'm in Thailand I miss certain things about Canada and when I'm in Canada I miss a lot of what I love about Thailand. Fortunately, I have the time and funds to go and come as I please. I also happen to be a positive person who mostly ignores the bad stuff I have no control over and I only look on the bright side of life. I might complain from time to time, but only because I know things could be better. Why worry about what I can't change?

Thailand is warm when Canada is cold. I can ride around on my motorbike for 5 months wearing nothing more than shorts, a cotton shirt and sandals... and I seldom ever need a jacket. I stay in a Thai hotel that costs me the same as my telephone, TV and internet package costs me in Canada. I can eat on the street for little more than 3 or 4 dollars a day. I can spend a week at a tropical beach for about $150. I can take a return flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for about $150. I can travel for 5 hours on a bus for under $10. And, if I want the company of a pretty, young woman all I have to do is dial a number on my cel phone. I have Thai friends and farang friends. I can even find a little fishing if that is what I want. What's not to like?

In Canada, well, what's not to like... except the winter weather. I have an unlimited amount of country to explore and fish and hunt. What I don't have is intimate female companionship, and that comes at a far higher cost than Thailand... and the quality is not nearly so good for men of my age.

you are not an anomaly, you are a sex tourist.

:D Don't talk rubbish. Sounds to me like he has a great life and good luck to him

I guess I'm somewhat of an anomaly. I only live in Thailand 5 months of the year. The remaining 7 months I live in Canada where many of my friends and family live. That suits me perfectly because I'm single and enjoy being single. I live two parallel lives that are not remotely alike, other than I practise my few hobbies wherever I am. Knowing what I know now I don't think I would be happy living full time in either country. When I'm in Thailand I miss certain things about Canada and when I'm in Canada I miss a lot of what I love about Thailand. Fortunately, I have the time and funds to go and come as I please. I also happen to be a positive person who mostly ignores the bad stuff I have no control over and I only look on the bright side of life. I might complain from time to time, but only because I know things could be better. Why worry about what I can't change?

Thailand is warm when Canada is cold. I can ride around on my motorbike for 5 months wearing nothing more than shorts, a cotton shirt and sandals... and I seldom ever need a jacket. I stay in a Thai hotel that costs me the same as my telephone, TV and internet package costs me in Canada. I can eat on the street for little more than 3 or 4 dollars a day. I can spend a week at a tropical beach for about $150. I can take a return flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for about $150. I can travel for 5 hours on a bus for under $10. And, if I want the company of a pretty, young woman all I have to do is dial a number on my cel phone. I have Thai friends and farang friends. I can even find a little fishing if that is what I want. What's not to like?

In Canada, well, what's not to like... except the winter weather. I have an unlimited amount of country to explore and fish and hunt. What I don't have is intimate female companionship, and that comes at a far higher cost than Thailand... and the quality is not nearly so good for men of my age.

you are not an anomaly, you are a sex tourist.

:D Don't talk rubbish. Sounds to me like he has a great life and good luck to him

rubbish? he freely admits it. hes quite proud of it actually.

a rose by any other name....

So what if Ian freely admits it?

Honesty is a rare commodity in Thailand and I applaud him for his openness.

Far worse are those who say they are here to teach or do 'business' but in truth are here for the women.

Exactly. He's retired, and comes here for 5 months every year and pretty young women like his company and he theres. They seem to have a mutually good time.

I;m really struggling to see the problem here. Its also a far sight better than being thrown on the "dating scrap heap" as you probably would be in Canada or the UK

Well Carmine, in my experience those who shout 'SEX TOURIST' the loudest, tend to be in denial at their own activities....

I deny ever having indulged in any activities of any sort whatsoever.

And I have never generalised or exaggerated.

Nor been rude about any other poster, <deleted> though they may be

It is people like me that make it a joy to live in Thailand as our neighbours

SC

Well Carmine, in my experience those who shout 'SEX TOURIST' the loudest, tend to be in denial at their own activities....

I deny ever having indulged in any activities of any sort whatsoever.

And I have never generalised or exaggerated.

Nor been rude about any other poster, <deleted> though they may be

It is people like me that make it a joy to live in Thailand as our neighbours

SC

Absolutely, and can i just agree there are some real knobs on here. :)

Is there a problem with being a sex tourist ?

I'm a resident. Why have i somehow found myself stuck in the middle of this :lol:

I'm a resident. Why have i somehow found myself stuck in the middle of this :lol:

And the ad I can see above your post says "Meet Your Asian Lady Today". Hardly subliminal. :lol:

And the ad I can see above your post says "Meet Your Asian Lady Today". Hardly subliminal. :lol:

:whistling::D

I dont recall passing any judgment. i merely made a statement. the negative connotations were added by later posters. it seems you are a sensitive lot.

Edited by nocturn

"You sound like your having a midlife crisis"

"Trisailer- your starting to sound burnt out"

Hey, I understand that this is all greek to most of you and my intention is not to preach to anyone. What I have learned in life is mine and mine alone and it works for me. An unexplored life is not worth living IMO. In my case unlearning would be a better word. My "midlife crisis" started in my teens and continues to this day. The fact that you don't understand greek does not reflect on my knowledge of greek.

I am burnt out on living a superficial life. For many years I worked hard to achieve success in the conventional sense but got burnt out. It took me more time to unlearn that garbage than it did to achieve "success". I was burnt out on it and that's what made my decision to go relight my life. Now it burns like the sun.

Since you brought it up, yes. I do believe you can learn more from a soi dog than you can from the vast majority of supeficial, phony, poser farang that come here and think they know what's best for Thailand. I admit it's a little harder to see it in the soi dogs, but that's only because they can't type.

As for amateurs captain america you shouldn't give yourself away so easily. Burning man is not my thing. I'm not a joiner I'm a loner. My wife and I did get to spend a good bit of time with the "Rainbow People" in Ocala NF but I'm not a card carrying member. There's things to be learned everywhere if my eyes are open.

"...endless, chronic fear created by western life." as evidenced by; depression (over half the US population are taking antidepressent meds) sleep disorders (over half the US population are taking meds) immune system disorders (occuring at higher rates evey year) Obsity (cronic in the west) I don't even want to think about what will happen in the next few years as a result of this most recent uptick in fear levels. If the Thai's are looking at these numbers, as I'm sure they are I don't think that they will want to buy what we're selling. Don't take my word for it Google it and see for yourself.

I don't know you Streetcowboy I'm talking in general terms and there is plenty of scientic evidence to support that fear is the underlying cause of many medical, social problems.

"Come on i know 8 year old girls with more balls then this guy with his primal fear and bonding with soi dogs" Talk to my wife, she learned how to kick Thai boys a$$ at that very age. If you really want to know primal fear go up to your nearest motorbike taxi stand and give them your disrepectful dribble. I promise they will teach it quick. It's one thing to sit safely typing away it is another to experence it first hand. If you haven't experenced it than you have no way of understanding it. Those who have do.

I appreciate the ribbing. Some of you are pretty clever and you make me laugh on a regular basis. Trust me when I say I don't take myself too seriously and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. My mind works better when I'm writing. This is for me and not for you. I just like to check how everyone is doing from time to time. Flush out the lemmings so to speak. Most of the guys I see get all the "feeling" they need from football and slaping eachother on the ass and I say if it works for you good.

I dont recall passing any judgment

So calling Ian was a 'sex tourist' wasn't a judgment?

I simply applied the term, you brought your own negative connotations. he claimed he was an anomaly, indicating his belief that he was unique. I merely pointed out that he was, in fact, not unique and provided a more accurate descriptor based upon the abundant information he has provided us on this forum.

and may i ask why you would call me a hypocrite? you know nothing about me or my lifestyle.

Yes I like living here, that's why I got out setting feet somewhere in Europe since yesterday and flying to Montreal next week.

I'll be back early June for an other 5 months of whining because a lot is dam_n wrong in the land of fake smiles :whistling:

rubbish? he freely admits it. hes quite proud of it actually.

a rose by any other name....

Of course you are correct, nocturn. I freely admit i enjoy sex with beautiful women. I don't know any heterosexual men that don't. The ones that SAY they don't are either liars or they've lost the hormones that make them a man. However, I will also say that every women I'm with is there by choice. Anyone who says they aren't are either liars or they don't know shit. Take your choice.

I don't spend time with people who don't enjoy my company... whether it is male or female. But, I will also say that very few people want to be exclusively with one other person every day for 365 days a year... 10 years in a row. There is not a dam thing wrong with being a sexpat. It keeps the economy going and it provides jobs for thousands. I get tired of the self righteous bigots that say sex is supposed to end once a single man reaches the age of 50. What arrangements that married couples have between each other is entirely up to them. But I know for certain that there are a LOT of frustrated married couples out there... both men and women.

And, edited to add that I have been posting a photo story about what I love about Thailand. A Pictrue tells a thousand words. I'll continue to post picture stories about my travels around Thailand. I'm very easy to find if anyone really cares.

Edited by IanForbes