Do You Like Living Here ?

GM1955

I like these threads!

You always find the misguided fools who think they've 'gone native' popping up!!

:lol: I must admit they are of great amusement to me too. For what i think is an obvious troll thread it has its areas of amusement.

I like living here but i do intend to move. The reason quite simply is id prefer to live in a slightly cooler and more importantly, less humid climate.

Can't wait for the usual knobs to accuse me of slagging off the Thai weather now!! :D

You idiot why are you bashing this wonderful thai weather. :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like these threads!

You always find the misguided fools who think they've 'gone native' popping up!!

:lol: I must admit they are of great amusement to me too. For what i think is an obvious troll thread it has its areas of amusement.

I like living here but i do intend to move. The reason quite simply is id prefer to live in a slightly cooler and more importantly, less humid climate.

Can't wait for the usual knobs to accuse me of slagging off the Thai weather now!! :D

The problems is that you are obviously viewing weather as foriegner and haven't adapted enough to the (inherently superior and more enlightened) Thai mentality and culture, to be comfortable when it's 40 degrees and dripping.

Sweat is a western concept. (And if it does get hot in Thailand it's because of the western influence).

I like these threads!

The problems is that you are obviously viewing weather as foriegner and haven't adapted enough to the (inherently superior and more enlightened) Thai mentality and culture, to be comfortable when it's 40 degrees and dripping.

Sweat is a western concept. (And if it does get hot in Thailand it's because of the western influence).

Now you mention it ... I have noticed that the sweatiest people on the BTS are all ferrangs. Me included if I'm lugging a lap top and load of papers :D

I guess I'm somewhat of an anomaly. I only live in Thailand 5 months of the year. The remaining 7 months I live in Canada where many of my friends and family live. That suits me perfectly because I'm single and enjoy being single. I live two parallel lives that are not remotely alike, other than I practise my few hobbies wherever I am. Knowing what I know now I don't think I would be happy living full time in either country. When I'm in Thailand I miss certain things about Canada and when I'm in Canada I miss a lot of what I love about Thailand. Fortunately, I have the time and funds to go and come as I please. I also happen to be a positive person who mostly ignores the bad stuff I have no control over and I only look on the bright side of life. I might complain from time to time, but only because I know things could be better. Why worry about what I can't change?

Thailand is warm when Canada is cold. I can ride around on my motorbike for 5 months wearing nothing more than shorts, a cotton shirt and sandals... and I seldom ever need a jacket. I stay in a Thai hotel that costs me the same as my telephone, TV and internet package costs me in Canada. I can eat on the street for little more than 3 or 4 dollars a day. I can spend a week at a tropical beach for about $150. I can take a return flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for about $150. I can travel for 5 hours on a bus for under $10. And, if I want the company of a pretty, young woman all I have to do is dial a number on my cel phone. I have Thai friends and farang friends. I can even find a little fishing if that is what I want. What's not to like?

In Canada, well, what's not to like... except the winter weather. I have an unlimited amount of country to explore and fish and hunt. What I don't have is intimate female companionship, and that comes at a far higher cost than Thailand... and the quality is not nearly so good for men of my age.

I like these threads!

Now you mention it ... I have noticed that the sweatiest people on the BTS are all ferrangs. Me included if I'm lugging a lap top and load of papers :D

See? I told ya.

Not me, I'm one with the Thais so I'm not hot and don't sweat.

I guess I'm somewhat of an anomaly. I only live in Thailand 5 months of the year. The remaining 7 months I live in Canada where many of my friends and family live. That suits me perfectly because I'm single and enjoy being single. I live two parallel lives that are not remotely alike, other than I practise my few hobbies wherever I am. Knowing what I know now I don't think I would be happy living full time in either country. When I'm in Thailand I miss certain things about Canada and when I'm in Canada I miss a lot of what I love about Thailand. Fortunately, I have the time and funds to go and come as I please. I also happen to be a positive person who mostly ignores the bad stuff I have no control over and I only look on the bright side of life. I might complain from time to time, but only because I know things could be better. Why worry about what I can't change?

Thailand is warm when Canada is cold. I can ride around on my motorbike for 5 months wearing nothing more than shorts, a cotton shirt and sandals... and I seldom ever need a jacket. I stay in a Thai hotel that costs me the same as my telephone, TV and internet package costs me in Canada. I can eat on the street for little more than 3 or 4 dollars a day. I can spend a week at a tropical beach for about $150. I can take a return flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for about $150. I can travel for 5 hours on a bus for under $10. And, if I want the company of a pretty, young woman all I have to do is dial a number on my cel phone. I have Thai friends and farang friends. I can even find a little fishing if that is what I want. What's not to like?

In Canada, well, what's not to like... except the winter weather. I have an unlimited amount of country to explore and fish and hunt. What I don't have is intimate female companionship, and that comes at a far higher cost than Thailand... and the quality is not nearly so good for men of my age.

Good post Ian ;)

I like these threads!

You idiot why are you bashing this wonderful thai weather. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jeeez, i can't believe you guys! :ermm::lol:

"You are saying that Thais are further back along the evolutionary ladder than you are. That they are more closely related to our past hominid ancestors, and therefore probably less well developed or intelligent. Is that it"

No, that's not it at all. Thai's are on the exact same rung that we are on. It is a fact that every human on earth today comes from the same mother 70,000 years ago. My point is that we are the same. What's more we are related. Time and time again it has been demonstrated that all humans on earth are geneticly the same. It is envoronment that causes the differences. I think that some Thai's still have a connection to our human ancesters. My wife's grandmother has a direct line and trust me when I tell you that I have held her old worn hand (completly sober) and felt it. She is an elder in her village and everyone knows that she has this power and they respect it. Unfortunatly we farang are shut down to this. My son and I were involved in the mens movement togather back in the 90's and he "gets it" People would ask me; "where does he get his wisdom?" I reply, it aint his, he has a direct line to the ancesters. then they run, not walk away. That's ok, it aint about them it's about my own journey and the beautiful things I get to see.

Thai-popping. Cool term. I have to agree that I too am a little embarrassed when I see guys walking around trying to be thai. Same in the states with nonnative people pretending to be indian. Not me I am 100% farang and proud of it. My roots are in Maine and I don't care much about anything beyond that. I have danced barefoot on the grave of my oldest known ancester in the middle of a rainy night, but I have never been able to visit my own fathers grave. There is something to this ancester stuff. Jung called it the collective unconscious, I don't know what it is except I know it is something with the power to sustain us and that has been trained out of me and I would like to get it back. In the depths of personal crisis is when I get a flash of it. People I know who have near death experences seem to know it.

A good friend of mine fell overboard in the middle of the Pacific and his boat sailed away on auto pilot while his wife slept below. He described his overwhelming fear and panic and said that something happened to him, call it a spritual experence, but it was a calm that he never felt in his life and it transformed him. Completly changed his life. (BTW his wife who was a native from central America and had been trained by him what to do in this situation screwed up the compass reading to return to find him and sailed 130 degrees instead of 180 and found him) I've had similar experences and they have changed my life (late 90's before comming to Thailand) I'll call it sprit. I am fortunate to know many men who understand this and use it's power to balance their lives. I know this, it don't live in a bottle or a woman or work. I feel a little sorry for the men who don't "get it"

"You are saying that Thais are further back along the evolutionary ladder than you are. That they are more closely related to our past hominid ancestors, and therefore probably less well developed or intelligent. Is that it"

No, that's not it at all. Thai's are on the exact same rung that we are on. It is a fact that every human on earth today comes from the same mother 70,000 years ago. My point is that we are the same. What's more we are related. Time and time again it has been demonstrated that all humans on earth are geneticly the same. It is envoronment that causes the differences. I think that some Thai's still have a connection to our human ancesters. My wife's grandmother has a direct line and trust me when I tell you that I have held her old worn hand (completly sober) and felt it. She is an elder in her village and everyone knows that she has this power and they respect it. Unfortunatly we farang are shut down to this. My son and I were involved in the mens movement togather back in the 90's and he "gets it" People would ask me; "where does he get his wisdom?" I reply, it aint his, he has a direct line to the ancesters. then they run, not walk away. That's ok, it aint about them it's about my own journey and the beautiful things I get to see.

Thai-popping. Cool term. I have to agree that I too am a little embarrassed when I see guys walking around trying to be thai. Same in the states with nonnative people pretending to be indian. Not me I am 100% farang and proud of it. My roots are in Maine and I don't care much about anything beyond that. I have danced barefoot on the grave of my oldest known ancester in the middle of a rainy night, but I have never been able to visit my own fathers grave. There is something to this ancester stuff. Jung called it the collective unconscious, I don't know what it is except I know it is something with the power to sustain us and that has been trained out of me and I would like to get it back. In the depths of personal crisis is when I get a flash of it. People I know who have near death experences seem to know it.

A good friend of mine fell overboard in the middle of the Pacific and his boat sailed away on auto pilot while his wife slept below. He described his overwhelming fear and panic and said that something happened to him, call it a spritual experence, but it was a calm that he never felt in his life and it transformed him. Completly changed his life. (BTW his wife who was a native from central America and had been trained by him what to do in this situation screwed up the compass reading to return to find him and sailed 130 degrees instead of 180 and found him) I've had similar experences and they have changed my life (late 90's before comming to Thailand) I'll call it sprit. I am fortunate to know many men who understand this and use it's power to balance their lives. I know this, it don't live in a bottle or a woman or work. I feel a little sorry for the men who don't "get it"

Sorry about the rash of shit that is coming your way.

You lost me at "mens movement".

That's ok, I'm sure I lost a lot of guys. No problem. Like I said this is just a place to refine my ideas about my own journey for me.

i think you'll you'll find you probably lost everyone. But, you seem a lot happier than most on here. :D

I agree a whining club is a bit dysfunctional but once you settle in to any country, there's no reason you have to walk around like a smile zombie acting like you love every little thing about the place when it would be insane to actually feel that way. Each expat stays or goes based on their own reasons. You can't simplify such a complex decision, much as many would like to.

Edited by Jingthing

Trisailor,

I like your sentiments, although the truth is that never in another few lifetimes is a Thai ever going to accept that 'we're all the same under the skin'.

It's just a fact of life here no matter how far or deeply you embrace the culture, language etc.

Westerners becoming Monks are still called 'Phra Farang' by the Thais (even the ones whom rise to prominence). This doesn't show any disrespect - just the fact that we are always going to be seen as such in their eyes.

The sooner people can accept that fact, the sooner they will be able to really enjoy life here so much more.

you are not an anomaly, you are a sex tourist.

"What are you trying to say?"

I just said it. If you don't get it than I can't explain it. It aint in your head, it's in your heart.

You are saying that Thais are further back along the evolutionary ladder than you are. That they are more closely related to our past hominid ancestors, and therefore probably less well developed or intelligent. Is that it?

Where in Gods name did Trisailer say anything like that??? What Part of his statement led you to that conclusion?? :huh:

"What are you trying to say?"

I just said it. If you don't get it than I can't explain it. It aint in your head, it's in your heart.

You are saying that Thais are further back along the evolutionary ladder than you are. That they are more closely related to our past hominid ancestors, and therefore probably less well developed or intelligent. Is that it?

Where in Gods name did Trisailer say anything like that??? What Part of his statement led you to that conclusion?? :huh:

I see this as a chance to get closer to my own humanity. We are related to these folks. We all come from the same black mother on the plains of Africa 70,000 years ago so it's like reconnecting to relatives that I haven't seen for awhile.

There.

The relatives he hasn't seen for a while read as 'people from the past' to me. What else could he mean.

you are not an anomaly, you are a sex tourist.

Come on. Ian is here for the temples for 5 months of the year. It's what makes the place so enjoyable for him. You must know that. I think it's the temples that I've been missing all this time and that would probably make all the difference. :D

"Thai ever going to accept that 'we're all the same under the skin'"

Yes they will. It's not done with words. There is a nonverbal communication that occurs between humans that is much more advanced than words. The Thai's get it. You can learn it from soi dogs. It's primal.

".It's just a fact of life here no matter how far or deeply you embrace the culture, language etc"

That misses the point completly. When humans are assesing threat they are looking at the eyes and nothing else.

I read the book "Phra Farang" and thought the guy looked silly.

I love the "danger" here. I can be flirting with some cute store clerk one minute than go outside where a bunch of young Thai guys are hanging around. Zero to 60 in a split second. Flight of fight this could be my last breath if I screw it up. It's a more natural way to live IMO. It's how we humans are programmed not the endless, cronic fear created by western life.

It's more primal, more human living here. I like that.

Yes they will. It's not done with words. There is a nonverbal communication that occurs between humans that is much more advanced than words. The Thai's get it. You can learn it from soi dogs. It's primal.

".It's just a fact of life here no matter how far or deeply you embrace the culture, language etc"

That misses the point completly. When humans are assesing threat they are looking at the eyes and nothing else.

I love the "danger" here. I can be flirting with some cute store clerk one minute than go outside where a bunch of young Thai guys are hanging around. Zero to 60 in a split second. Flight of fight this could be my last breath if I screw it up. It's a more natural way to live IMO. It's how we humans are programmed not the endless, cronic fear created by western life.

You sound like your having a midlife crisis. And its not fair to flirt with clerks they have no way to run and have to act polite to you. Poor girls.

Not too sure how long you've been here but most Thais are afraid of almost everything (except maybe us). They are programmed for that rather than critical thinking. It's both a control and a protection mechanism.

Edited by lannarebirth

Trisailer- your starting to sound burnt out.

1. Learn from a soi dog? Those dumb beast can't figure out how to not get run over. Now you suggest they can teach humans

2. Only a amateur assess threat by lookIng at eyes as you suggest. Look at the hands silly.

3. Your living your life a little dramatic by thinking your "on the edge" because you walked out of a 7-11 and saw some Thai guys. Buying a Chang isn't quite daredevil behavior.

If you haven't heard Burning man was a bunch of shit.

Sorry.

"...endless, chronic fear created by western life."

I must be doing something wrong. I am afraid of nothing - not through devil-may-care living on the edge bravado, but through living in a civilised, westernised country with a fair grip on law and order, public safety, hygiene and moral behaviour. Sure, some other countries might rank higher on those parameters than Thailand, but its scarcely the Wild West. And I don't feel my life is that much different from that of my friends and colleagues in Scotland and England and Australia and the US and Hong Kong and Taiwan and Dubai. Maybe my perceptive powers are not as great as others, but if deeper perception would make me think buying beer in 7-11 when the neds were hanging round outside was living on the edge, or if I was to be filled with endless chronic fear... I'll keep my blinkers on.

SC

SOme years ago, I was talking with a colleague of mine who had grown up at one of the farther ends of the Empire - not exactly the Ultima Thule, but not far off. We'd both migrated south to escape the economic winter and find gainful employment... I'd said I was emigrating further afield ... "I don't think I'd choose to live in that place" he said.

"If I was going to take a job based on where I wanted to live, I'd sure as hell not be here" I told him; though I have fond regards for that place, and indeed everywhere that I have ever lived. I even went back through choice to Middlesbrough for the weekend!

SC

Yeah, I know what you mean. Coming out of a 7-11 and seeing a bunch of 120 pound thai guys, sitting tandem on 110cc motor scooters and talking on their cell phones, can be sheer terror.

Deep PRIMAL terror - right down to the bones of our common mama ancestor you earlier mentioned. Even the Soi dogs that were just starting to bond, flee, tails between legs.

Not anything like being on patrol in South Central at 3 a.m. and getting a call to a home invasion by a dozen well-armed gang bangers beating up an old couple, and being told all other units are busy.

Perhaps you should cut short your shore leave and get some sea air again, trisailer. B)

I love the "danger" here. I can be flirting with some cute store clerk one minute than go outside where a bunch of young Thai guys are hanging around.

I know exactly what you mean.

Yesterday I chatted to a little girl in 7-11. Then, when I went outside, I saw four Thai guys discussing their school homework. All of them must have been at least 5'4". I can tell you, it was scary stuff.

Luckily I'm a former SAS commando so I know how to deal with this kind of stuff. But yeah -- I love the "danger".

Do you grow your own...:) If you think this place is dangerous i have presume you've spent the rest of your life living in Disneyworld.....

Edited by carmine

Oh, leave him alone. He's a happy sailor.

I think people have trouble with the culture. The problem is every farang is an expert on Thai culture. It matters not if they have been in country five days or fifty years. Everybody is an expert on Thai culture.

The most happy and comfortable farangs I know are those that grew up here, went to school in Bangkok, speak the language etc. Their parents often live live here too. I know a few farang like that.

Then there's the doomed farang with the hunted look about them. Yes I've seen them. Drank with them. The miserable middle-aged yet strangley adolescent farangs sitting around drinking beer in places like Pattaya. Moaning about anything and everything. Consumed by desire and beer. They aren't happy. They have all this free time and beautiful women, great food, cheap hotels, friendly natives - yet there is something desperatly wrong.

I'd rather have episodes of perecieved adventure in the seven-eleven that be miserable and cynical like the hunted farang.

Edited by Geekfreaklover