Heartworm

I used to take my old dog to the vet once a year. Now, I have a new dog (1 year old). Just took him to the vet for his shots and check up. The vet checked his blood for heartworm and said hes ok and that I should bring him in every 2 months to check for heartworm. I go to the veteranary hospital at Khon Kaen University and get a different vet each time. Most vets are students and this one didnt impress me at all. She had trouble taking a blood sample and giving an injection. Im not trying to talk bad about her, I understand shes just learning. Im just wondering if her advice about heartworm is correct.

What is the proper procedure for heartworm?

a proper procedure would be to protect your dog (as most of us do) with medication that prevents heartworm. to the best of my knowledge there are two possibilities (application once a month). one is orally ingested and one is medication applied on the back of the neck.

I had two dogs in Chiangmai, both of which got infested with heartworm. The cure is a form of chemotherapy, which almost kills in order to cure (my vet wouldn't let me see my dogs while they were under treatment).

Normal preventative treatment is a pill which is taken once a month; very tasty it is too, and the dogs love it. (The pill is called Heartgard)

What I would like to know is how widespread heartworm is in Thailand. Is it more prevalent in urban areas? I've asked before in this forum, and never got an answer, whether it is also common in the rural parts of Isan.

I had two dogs in Chiangmai, both of which got infested with heartworm. The cure is a form of chemotherapy, which almost kills in order to cure (my vet wouldn't let me see my dogs while they were under treatment).

Normal preventative treatment is a pill which is taken once a month; very tasty it is too, and the dogs love it. (The pill is called Heartgard)

What I would like to know is how widespread heartworm is in Thailand. Is it more prevalent in urban areas? I've asked before in this forum, and never got an answer, whether it is also common in the rural parts of Isan.

i live in issan and our vet told us to give him one tab every month or an injection,every one i have spoken to says it is very common,2dogs died this year on our mooban because they had not been treated.

First, a comment: vets in Thailand suck. I have not met two that can agree...

Yes, Heartgard.

Get another test first if it's been more than a couple of weeks, because if you give the med after a recent infection, there can be a nasty reaction.

Then give religiously every month. Treatment after the fact, as Isanbirder said, is very, very nasty.

By the way, I used to apply Advantix for fleas and ticks, along with a Heartgard, once a month for my dogs back in the States. Never a problem in 7 years. It also helps repel mosquitos, which I've seen a few of here :rolleyes: .

But then I came here and the vets--all of them--sad, no, use Revolution, it does all that and takes care of mange, too. (But, ha, not mosquitos -- amazing!)

Okay, stupidly, I tried it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, Robert.

Ticks everywhere. Kamakaze mosquitos. Didn't work worth crap. So I went back to the Advantix and Heartgard. Everyone's happy now.

Anybody else have problems with Revolution? Or did I just get a couple of bad batches in a row?

i live in issan and our vet told us to give him one tab every month or an injection,every one i have spoken to says it is very common,2dogs died this year on our mooban because they had not been treated.

Thanks, Meatboy. Whereabouts in Isan, if I may ask? I'm in Buriram, between Krasang and Huairat. I admit I've never given Heartgard here, nor have I seen the coughing which is the most visible external symptom of heartworm. But then I've only been here 3 years.

Heartworm prevention is actually not the correct description. What the medicine does is kill the microfillaria (sp?) in the blood. So, if a dog gets stung a day or so after the treatment, either by pill, spot-on or injection, then it can get infested again.

The pills are available as heartguard (100+baht per pill, but includes med's against intestinal roundworm) or Iversat (around 40 baht per pill, depending on the dog's body weight, not including the intestinal roundworm meds). Against heartworm both brands are similar effective, as is the 2-monthly injection.

The treatment against the adult heartworm in the heart, can be dangerous to the dog, not because of the medicine but because once the worms die off they produce a toxic substance or can clot together. Therefore, it is very important to keep the dog as quiet as possible during treatment until a month after that.

So far as I have been told ... :)

having been a greyhound trainer for 20years in uk.i have seen more vets than bar girls in patts.so i can normally tell a good one from a bad one[vets that is] when we needed one we had good reports of one not far from us.the wife whent the first time and said his place was spotless ,good sign he has visited us 4 times and i have complete faith in him,he did tell us the main thing was to control fleas and ticks do this will help to prevent heartworm .anyone wanting a vet in korat i will pass on his details.

having been a greyhound trainer for 20years in uk.i have seen more vets than bar girls in patts.so i can normally tell a good one from a bad one[vets that is] when we needed one we had good reports of one not far from us.the wife whent the first time and said his place was spotless ,good sign he has visited us 4 times and i have complete faith in him,he did tell us the main thing was to control fleas and ticks do this will help to prevent heartworm .anyone wanting a vet in korat i will pass on his details.

the reason why i posted the contol of fleas/ticks are they fist make the coat dirty and with ticks that feed on the blood and leave the dogs skin bare,this will attract mossys when they smell the blood.we normally bath the dog once a week and every day we use a spray which comes in 400ml btl.called care-ozone it contains no chemicals.

Thanks everyone,

Lots of fleas and ticks in our part of issan. Ive always used Frontline and it works great. Only an occasional dead tick, so I plan to stick with what works.

I will take my dog to the vet and get some Heartguard. I take better care of him than I do myself. Loosing my last dog (old age) was a traumatic experience I dont want to go through again.

Thanks again, Tom

• 1 year later...

my beloved has been having the injection every 2months against heartworm with no problem until his last inject.he bolted into the garden and cried like a baby,it rearly upset me to think he had been hurt so i said to the mrs.we will give him the tabs.[heartgard] every month,but we are having trouble finding them every pet shop says they dont sell too much money,as he is due next week the wf.bought a pkt of

en-dex 8000.has anybody got any info on these tabs it say's they treat ticks,flea's as well the cost was only 300bht.for 10 tabs with the dose for ours 1.5tabs.i am not going to use these without recomendation.and yes the dog did remember the last visit by the vet who called in to see him tues.and couldnt get near him.

my beloved has been having the injection every 2months against heartworm with no problem until his last inject.he bolted into the garden and cried like a baby,it rearly upset me to think he had been hurt so i said to the mrs.we will give him the tabs.[heartgard] every month,but we are having trouble finding them every pet shop says they dont sell too much money,as he is due next week the wf.bought a pkt of

en-dex 8000.has anybody got any info on these tabs it say's they treat ticks,flea's as well the cost was only 300bht.for 10 tabs with the dose for ours 1.5tabs.i am not going to use these without recomendation.and yes the dog did remember the last visit by the vet who called in to see him tues.and couldnt get near him.

Endec is ivermec in pill form, and is good for ticks, though not so good for fleas. The dog needs 600 units per kg; give monthly. My vet says the injected form of ivermec works better.

Endec is ivermec in pill form, and is good for ticks, though not so good for fleas. The dog needs 600 units per kg; give monthly. My vet says the injected form of ivermec works better.

thanks for that,i have found out that they are not to be trusted for dogs and under no circumstances to give them to ward off heartworm this came from a well qualified person,if an overdose is given can be fatal,they are also used on large animals eg.buffalo,so iam sorry my beloved is going to have a little bit of pain better to go with what you now.

thanks for that,i have found out that they are not to be trusted for dogs and under no circumstances to give them to ward off heartworm this came from a well qualified person,if an overdose is given can be fatal,they are also used on large animals eg.buffalo,so iam sorry my beloved is going to have a little bit of pain better to go with what you now.

That's a bit illogical, meatboy. The fact that the same medication is used for buffalos has no relevance; the dosage is rather different. An overdose is impossible if you follow the guidelines, unless you're saying that the strength of this particular medication is unreliable. But it's up to you, of course!

(An interesting analogy is Warfarin, which was first used as a rat poison, and is now used as a human medicine to prevent blood clots.)

That's a bit illogical, meatboy. The fact that the same medication is used for buffalos has no relevance; the dosage is rather different. An overdose is impossible if you follow the guidelines, unless you're saying that the strength of this particular medication is unreliable. But it's up to you, of course!

(An interesting analogy is Warfarin, which was first used as a rat poison, and is now used as a human medicine to prevent blood clots.)

why i was concerned about them was these are not regulated it seems they are imported but inside was a leaflet in thai which the wf.said was lacking info,so i did seek advice from qualified people who advised us not to give them to our dog,as he is our boy if something went wrong with the doseage i couldnt live with it so rather be safe than sorry they ended down the toilet.i did manage to get heartgard.as i have had major heart surgery i depent on rat poison to live,in fact i have just came back from the blood lab[inr tested every month].

• 4 weeks later...

Our dogs get two-monthly injections, and it also protects against ticks if I interpret the lingo of the vet right. Seems to be so, didn't find any on the dogs yet. 200 Baht per shot. Vet also said there's an injection once per year available once they are older than a year. Does anyone know the name of this drug?

• 8 months later...

A bit late answering, I was googling En-Dex 8000... We had no problems with side effects with our dogs, however the only thing we found that is effective against ticks was a tick collar. Ourpoodle was coughing, making us think she may have heart worm, En-Dex seems to have sorted that out.

Dosology: Animal 5 - 10 Kg, 1/4 Tab, 12 - 20 Kg, 1/2 tab, 21 - 30 Kg 3/4 tab, 31 - 40Kg 1 tab.

A bit late answering, I was googling En-Dex 8000... We had no problems with side effects with our dogs, however the only thing we found that is effective against ticks was a tick collar. Ourpoodle was coughing, making us think she may have heart worm, En-Dex seems to have sorted that out.

Dosology: Animal 5 - 10 Kg, 1/4 Tab, 12 - 20 Kg, 1/2 tab, 21 - 30 Kg 3/4 tab, 31 - 40Kg 1 tab.

he's been having heartguard since dec.get them from shamu pet supplies bkk.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very late coming on here but I was googling En-Dex and found here.

1) Golden lived 3 years and died from tick related disease. She had regular Frontline and heartworm injections all as recommended and administered by A Thai vet. Note: She STILL DIED from TICK related disease.

2) Next a Flat-coat Labrador. Same preventative as for Golden and she became completely infested by ticks. Picking off hundreds each day and they all come back again the next. Additional treatment by vet. Revolution administered. Same problem masses of ticks. Sold some En-Dex by dog breeder (some might call her a puppy farm), advised to double-dose first month and then single-dose each month thereafter. Ticks all gone next day and never seen since (that's 3 years). Dog is in perfect condition.

En-Dex is the best thing ever. Was googling hoping to find manufacturer as packaging says nothing. No company name, no address, no phone number. I don't understand why. Are they not proud of their product? Is it really bad (as some, not me, say). Makes you wonder.

Cost 150 baht for 10 months supply. Self administered, no vet fees. Previous veterinary treatment, that didn't work, about 500 month.

• 6 months later...

En dex 8000 for ticks, fleas and heart worm, super cheap main store in phuket 110 baht per pack of 10 tablets

our dog is under 20KG and only needs half a table a month, cost 5.5 baht a month super cheap and definately works with fleas and ticks

Our dog hates going to the vet, problem fixed

En dex 8000 for ticks, fleas and heart worm, super cheap main store in phuket 110 baht per pack of 10 tablets

our dog is under 20KG and only needs half a table a month, cost 5.5 baht a month super cheap and definately works with fleas and ticks

Our dog hates going to the vet, problem fixed

we did manage to find a supplier for heart guard[shamu] they are pet supplyer in bkk.you pay 199bht.yearly to join,you then get discount on anything you buy,we save 800bht.on 18months supply of heartgaurd and you get their magazine sent to you every 3months free,its all in English and thai 120pages,they have a store in Bangkok and Phuket.