So Many Decaying Housing Estates.

Richb2004v2

Here in Thailand however, I think it is a truism that people driving a new accord or better generally are not living in bed-sit condos with their family of 5.......

I think you can have a nice home and money, but a crappy car...... but less likely the other way around...... in general.

You clearly don't understand Thai people or the concept of 'face'

But don't worry, 95% of other posters on Tv are in the same boat with you.

Yes. In Phuket I see plenty of new vehicles parked outside the owner's rental shack.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His house is definitely old style. It's not a common or comfortable style for us north american. Old thais and many euros do like it though.

i can only smile when i read these kind of "judgments". one sees a Buddha sculpture and determines "Thai style house", the other one looks at a chair and claims "house not comfortable" and a third one determines "old Thais and Euros like..." or "does not compare well with Canadian homes". are you people for real?

now waiting patiently for an expert to come up -after evaluating one of the oriental rugs- and forecast what's for dinner in my home coming sunday and what kind of wine will be served with it.

reading some of these "intelligent" remarks this is what comes to my mind :lol:

I am sure whatever it is will be delicious.....where is my invitation...and can you tell the guy on the gate to let my pickup in this time :rolleyes:

He'd have let you in last time if it had been daylight hours and you'd not been wearing a balaclava

SC

Yes, so much wasted real estate here. I don't think that I have ever seen such a waste of space that poor people who live in shacks could occupy comfortably. Up here in CM, I would guess that at least 20+% of houses, retail spaces and condos are unoccupied.

The development we live in has roughly 1,000 large lots [100 talang waa ea], there are maybe 30 structures and only 5 or 6 are occupied.....the rest are crumbling, rotting or being eaten by termites and falling down. That's exactly why I love my development.....I don't have neighbors breathing down my neck and I can walk the streets in my underwear.

• 1 month later...

I once estimated there were 10,000,000 row houses in Thailand that needed some form of renovation---but farang can't own. It would make sense to allow foreigners one house or 20 wah or something. It would certainly get their housing market going. Amazing they don't walk with limps as they really have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot.

I noticed the decay in the condos, too....some of the scariest elevator rides ever. We'll save the comments on the 60 wah dog breeders for another day.

I got my Thai lady a home by the river with a nice view and she wasn't satisfied.

Boon_in_cement_house.jpg

Then I got her another place in the forest and she still wasn't satisfied...

Forest_cottage.jpg

There's just no pleasing a woman.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of nice single houses on estates but there are no estates with consistently nice houses throughout that are older than 5 years.

we started building 6 years ago and live since 5 years in a gated community where the first homes were built more than 10 years ago. there's no decay, no unkempt gardens, no homes which need paint.

most probably you are looking at "estates" clustered with shacks and huts with 120-150m² living area, built on 80-100 Wah² lots. take a look at "estates" where the minimum lot size is one Rai and the "small" homes have living areas starting at 500m² and then repeat your claim.

:whistling:

Interestingly enough, I am probably one of few members here on TV who's spent six months last year viewing houses in the Bangkok suburbs with larger living area than 500m². I and the missus must have viewed at least 70-80 houses. We visited a large number of gated communities, and I can comfortably say that I have a good picture of the average "estate"condition. The smallest house we viewed was 550 m² and the biggest 800 m². Vi have viewed houses in areas where former MPs live, and it was the same there - many nice houses and many crap houses.

I agree with those who claim that Thai "estates" on average are poorly maintained. In addition, many "estates" are poorly built using cheap materials. As I said, this is my perception of the average condition.

However, I have also viewed wonderfully maintained houses, which had been built using exquisite materials.

But my opinion is crystal clear – a house in Thailand stands far better chance of being in poor condition due to lack of maintenance than in the western world. Don't ask me why, I'm only stating the obvious.

Edited by Forethat

Just reading about the price range you are talking about. Where is this ?

I knoe everywhere is different but we are in the suburbs of BKK in a nice two bedroom house on a good estate and it's only 5000 baht a month. For the prices you are talking about you could be somewhere really nice. Places that are older than five years too. Maybe you should think about moving !

I knoe everywhere is different but we are in the suburbs of BKK in a nice two bedroom house on a good estate and it's only 5000 baht a month. For the prices you are talking about you could be somewhere really nice. Places that are older than five years too. Maybe you should think about moving !

now waiting for an acidic comment from "Forethat" who looked at homes 500m² upwards :lol:

now waiting for an acidic comment from "Forethat" who looked at homes 500m² upwards :lol:

No need for acidic comments, I have allready written it in clear text: the size or the prizelevel of the estate is irrelevant - Thai properties tend to suffer from lack of maintenance. As I said, there's plenty of realy nice property in LOS, but to claim that shabby houses doesn't exist in every moo baan is incorrect. I once viewed a 40-million Baht property where the wifey refused to walk through the door due to all filth... Looked great from the outside, though.

You dont seem to realize that what you are paying per month would rent about a hanger's closet worth of space in the houses he looked at?

I have lived in Mooban Sammakorn for almost a decade now. I bought our original home for less than 2 million baht and then a few years later bought the home next to ours for 2.8 million baht and eventually combined the houses. Our home is now worth about 12 million baht.

I am talking about 120 square talang.

I also hate the fact that many people stop by wanting to rent our home. B60,000 per month does not seem to discourage them.

Obviously, some of you posters have not lived in Thailand very long.

Edited by cfsprinkler

No need for acidic comments, I have allready written it in clear text: the size or the prizelevel of the estate is irrelevant - Thai properties tend to suffer from lack of maintenance. As I said, there's plenty of realy nice property in LOS, but to claim that shabby houses doesn't exist in every moo baan is incorrect. I once viewed a 40-million Baht property where the wifey refused to walk through the door due to all filth... Looked great from the outside, though.

nobody claimed that run down houses do not exist. but i claim that in my "moo ban" there is not a single run down house inspite of the fact that the first homes were build approximately a decade ago. period!

We have a monthly maintenance charge of 1400 baht per house which includes daily refuse removal, security, general maintenance on the estate and they mow your front garden twice a month (but not the back - the wife does that)

We've been here 9 years now and there have been times when things have slipped but now we have a resident's committee which oversees everything that happens on the estate.

I'd say make one of the key criteria when you move somewhere to ensure there is some form of central representation for the residents.

nobody claimed that run down houses do not exist. but i claim that in my "moo ban" there is not a single run down house inspite of the fact that the first homes were build approximately a decade ago. period!

I wouldn't know anything about that. But I do know that I've been seriously surprised to view the state of a number of houses, especially since they all appeared to be so nice from a distance - or even from the drive way...

I think it boils down to there being no investment value in Thai homes. Unlike the west (except recent bubble burst)housing doesn't increase in value so Thai's may not be interested in maintaining or improving their property. They don't like buying second hand homes because there isn't big face in it for them unlike new homes.

More second hand homes as you say, are sold in thailand than new.

Personally I have broke even on 1 home I sold quickly and make up to 100% profit in one year on another home. All the others over the last 8 years I made some profit. Just have to be wise about your investment and take care of your property.

I bought our original home for less than 2 million baht and then a few years later bought the home next to ours for 2.8 million baht and eventually combined the houses. Our home is now worth about 12 million baht.

Has someone actually offered you that figure or is that just guesswork based on the asking price of other (unsold) properties?

I thought that you didn't leave your house. How do you know? Have you just looked out of the window? :D

I thought that you didn't leave your house. How do you know? Have you just looked out of the window? :D

His driver told him

You dont seem to realize that what you are paying per month would rent about a hanger's closet worth of space in the houses he looked at?

So what, How many bedrooms do you need. There are only four of us. We're happy. Our vilage has a swimming pool , tennis courts , exercise area and play areas. we speak to our neighbours and it is very quiet.

depends what you want I suppose.

I would claim the same about my " pauper " estate too. Everywhere is in good nick. Busarin in Bang Bua Thong. Come and see for yourselves.

Of course wealthy Thais simply ignore whatever is around them. It is a microcosm of the whole country. Simply build a big wall, keep your place immaculate, and let all the peasants do whatever they want. The whole country runs that way. Why do you think an individual housing estate is going to be any different from the cities and the country in general? Why do you think slums are allowed to spring up right next to expensive subdivisions? How can the people tolerate street vendors crowding the sidewalks on an otherwise pristine road? Wealthy Thais simply know that is how the other 90% lives, and they ignore it. It is the Thai way.

It is a very rare development that manages to attract only responsible owners. For the most part, a well kept street is about the best you can hope for.

Exactly - spot on.

So what, How many bedrooms do you need. There are only four of us. We're happy. Our vilage has a swimming pool , tennis courts , exercise area and play areas. we speak to our neighbours and it is very quiet.

depends what you want I suppose.

It simply means that a nice two bedroomhouse for you, is a dirty hole for other people even if they lower their standards very very low. You can't compare a protons with a brand new bmw series 5, you also cant compare 5000baht cheaply furnished 2br house, with 1 million $ us homes. or even 3mil baht+ houses.

His driver told him

No, his driver's driver told him. That is how loaded Naam is :P

Me on the other hand, I don't have a pot to piss in, for sure!

watch out Samran! your indirect statement that you pee in a toilet instead of a pot puts you in the category of braggarts :lol:

watch out Samran! your indirect statement that you pee in a toilet instead of a pot puts you in the category of braggarts :lol:

No...he was indicating he had to use the walls of expensive housing estates to pee on.

Judging by the complete and utter lack of class displayed by those who brag about financial assets - I can only assume that there are posters on here who has misplaced their push-up brah and skin tight hot-pants by which they usually drive their point across ...

No...he was indicating he had to use the walls of expensive housing estates to pee on.

Isn't that what they are for?