So Many Decaying Housing Estates.

Richb2004v2

I doubt most of the people driving honda accord or better are living with their 2-3 kids in a 1room dump

One of my rellys is a shrimp fisherman, has a couple of ponds, lives in a shack made of sticks over his pond with the family.

No furniture, kids in rags.

Outside the house is a brand new 600k+ Toyota 4wd, purchased on credit.

I asked him why he spent all his money on the car and lived in a hovel, his reply, when I go into town people see the car, only close family ever see the hut.

Edited by sarahsbloke

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a new toyota is like bragging about a pair of fake Adidas.. doesn't impress many people. Lot's of poor workers can afford them with financing and a few years of savings. Im talking about 1.5mil+ cars and 250 000+ a year in school fees for each kids

i am neither disabled nor ill my friend. i (actually we) enjoy pure refined luxurious living in each and every respect. that is the reason why we built (for the second time) a home which, down to the very last detail and square foot, was designed to meet our demands more or less regardless as far as cost is concerned.

but i don't blame you if you don't understand why and how we live our lives because most of our numerous friends from various countries who visit us quite often don't understand either. however, your remark concerning "credibility" was extremely unfair and definitely not warranted.

all said, nothing to add. let's go back to the "decaying estates" even though i give a flying fàrt whether decaying estates do or don't exist in the Land of Smiles.

:jap:

You have inside pictures? It's really nice outside.

Yes, Pics!!!!

Have you seen Muang Thong Thani on the outskirts of Bangkok? what a gigantic

ghost town :blink:

18 highrise condo buildings which were completed around 1997 and with hardly anyone living in any of them.

" Thousands never sold, still owned by the development company. Many were bought by speculators for resale or renting out, but who went bust instead. Quite a number were bought by Chinese people in Hong Kong shortly before the China takeover in 1997, but they haven't moved in afterwards "

http://www.mttbkk.com/condo-house-rent-sell-buy.htm

post-6925-0-53513900-1304475969_thumb.jp

i am neither disabled nor ill my friend. i (actually we) enjoy pure refined luxurious living in each and every respect. that is the reason why we built (for the second time) a home which, down to the very last detail and square foot, was designed to meet our demands more or less regardless as far as cost is concerned.

but i don't blame you if you don't understand why and how we live our lives because most of our numerous friends from various countries who visit us quite often don't understand either. however, your remark concerning "credibility" was extremely unfair and definitely not warranted.

all said, nothing to add. let's go back to the "decaying estates" even though i give a flying fàrt whether decaying estates do or don't exist in the Land of Smiles.

:jap:

You have inside pictures? It's really nice outside.

there should be some pictures in this thread:

Each to their own of course, but the house does not compare well to the pictures of the Canadian houses, for possibly a similar price. It just looks typically Thai to me, in that it's all show but not that comfortable looking. Only my preference though. If that's your bag then good for you.

Houses mean diferent things to different people...Naam likes to suround himself with beautiful things and live in a house that has all the comforts that anyone could need. He worked to do it and is perfectly entitled to do so.

On the other hand I do not value these things very much. If I have a comfortable bed and good people sharing my life it is all I need.

My first wife came from a corrugated iron shack on the banks of a Bangkok klong 45 years ago. Probably a little better than the home Sarahs bloke's wife came from as it had water frontage.

No glass just a strategicly placed hole in the iron to frame the view. Strangely the two years I spent there were the happiest memories of my life3 as I was surrounded by my ex wifes family and they were all wonderful people.

To each according to his needs...and who cares what kind of a place someone lives in.

Each to their own of course, but the house does not compare well to the pictures of the Canadian houses, for possibly a similar price. It just looks typically Thai to me, in that it's all show but not that comfortable looking. Only my preference though. If that's your bag then good for you.

the only thing that looks Thai is a Buddha sculpture (origin Burma) which i bought at an auction in Hong Kong 29 years ago. by the way, you seem to try hard proving that you possess a wealth of no idea as far as comfortable homes are concerned.

do you really believe you can judge the comfort of a home by looking at a photo which shows how the living room is furnished?

av-11672.gif

Edited by Naam

the only thing that looks Thai is a Buddha sculpture (origin Burma) which i bought at an auction in Hong Kong 29 years ago. by the way, you seem to try hard proving that you possess a wealth of no idea as far as comfortable homes are concerned.

do you really believe you can judge the comfort of a home by looking at a photo which shows how the living room is furnished?

av-11672.gif

Some of us have seen the photos you posted of the dogs bedding. :rolleyes:

av-11672.gif

I didn't mean the Thai sculptures. The house is very nice, it just doesn't look like the kind of house you could walk into sit down and relax in. It looks like the High-so house sets seen on Thai soaps every night. It screams opulence but little else to me. As I say it's very Thai. However you live in it so must be comfortable and that's what counts. It's just not for me. I don't have a wealth of experience in houses, but like most people I know what I like, and think I can spot genuine quality vs Thai quality.

av-11672.gif

I didn't mean the Thai sculptures. The house is very nice, it just doesn't look like the kind of house you could walk into sit down and relax in. It looks like the High-so house sets seen on Thai soaps every night. It screams opulence but little else to me. As I say it's very Thai. However you live in it so must be comfortable and that's what counts. It's just not for me. I don't have a wealth of experience in houses, but like most people I know what I like, and think I can spot genuine quality vs Thai quality.

His house is definitely old style. It's not a common or comfortable style for us north american. Old thais and many euros do like it though.

av-11672.gif

His house is definitely old style. It's not a common or comfortable style for us north american. Old thais and many euros do like it though.

I think that's the difference in taste. In the west we think about practicalities, quality and comfort, in Thailand they think about what looks impressive without further thought. Watching a Thai soap tonight I again saw the Hi-so house with it's over the top gold guilt edged everything. All bad taste but impressive to the Thai eye. Like something Micheal Jackson might live in. As we said it's all about taste.

I work in a "hi-so" house. It is on the company grounds, but the owner doesn't live in that one and we use it for an office. I work in what was the theater room, and it is quite cozy, but the rest of the house, while very impressive, is hardly a place which screams comfort. Most of the other houses on the compound are the same, and they have been used for many Thai movies and soaps. However, one sister built a very modern and beautiful home a few years ago, and while still extremely impressive, it also seems far more "livable."

Housing tastes differ by individuals as well as cultures. While I like a big house with large rooms and a commercial-type kitchen, I tend to like a more livable feel to a place. But if someone likes more of a showcase home, that is their choice.

Problem with the Canadian house (and many other countries) is that is SNOWS! :(

After living in Alaska, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, Montana and New York...I've had it with snow. I love not having to wear socks, long sleeve shirts, or long pants. The humidity is tough to take at times, but I just jump into the pool, ring the bell, and have a beer served pool side. Tough to beat.

white run down concrete walls. space between walls and windows so that the AC costs 3x as much.

Not a problem if you don't have a/c

My last months electricity bill was 690bht

My wife previously lived in a corrugated iron hut in the jungle with no doors, windows, back wall, furniture or running water.

I can assure you, she thinks our current home the height of luxury.

Compared to most expats in Thailand who live in a one room condo, it is.

When i drop off my kid to school and see about 40-50 expats everytime.

More than half of them are driving a honda accord or better (up to 10mil baht cars)

40% are driving low model like city and jazz, of the year

and 10% are driving old beat up cars.

I doubt most of the people driving honda accord or better are living with their 2-3 kids in a 1room dump

And I am a landlord of 2 condo units in a prime area who drives his 25 yo rusting Corolla and park in the project, turning eyes of security and maintenance staff alike... :lol:

Problem with the Canadian house (and many other countries) is that is SNOWS! :(

After living in Alaska, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, Montana and New York...I've had it with snow. I love not having to wear socks, long sleeve shirts, or long pants. The humidity is tough to take at times, but I just jump into the pool, ring the bell, and have a beer served pool side. Tough to beat.

I'm certainly with you on that!

I did 30 years of outdoor construction work in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Alaska and I hope to never experience snow, ice or freezing rain again. Give me the pool and ring-a-bell-for-a-beer anytime!

mario299 :lol:

The concept of maintainance does not exist here. Pure and simple.

They just let stuff rot and break. That is the way here.

Same as with cars. That's why you see so many second hand cars for sale. They ALL need work.

They rather spend 4 mil up on a new car than maintain them.

thanks - you saved me the bother of typing it......

white run down concrete walls. space between walls and windows so that the AC costs 3x as much.

Not a problem if you don't have a/c

My last months electricity bill was 690bht

My wife previously lived in a corrugated iron hut in the jungle with no doors, windows, back wall, furniture or running water.

I can assure you, she thinks our current home the height of luxury.

Compared to most expats in Thailand who live in a one room condo, it is.

When i drop off my kid to school and see about 40-50 expats everytime.

More than half of them are driving a honda accord or better (up to 10mil baht cars)

40% are driving low model like city and jazz, of the year

and 10% are driving old beat up cars.

And I am a landlord of 2 condo units in a prime area who drives his 25 yo rusting Corolla and park in the project, turning eyes of security and maintenance staff alike... :lol:

A good friend of mine back in the 'real world' works for an oil & gas company, and makes disgustingly high money..... they have a huge house, tastfully decorated etc. but actually does not own a car and his mrs drives a honda jazz.....

Here in Thailand however, I think it is a truism that people driving a new accord or better generally are not living in bed-sit condos with their family of 5.......

I think you can have a nice home and money, but a crappy car...... but less likely the other way around...... in general.

In general (lots of generalizations here) most of the expats I know live in decent places, appropriate to their needs...... i.e. single guy / couple with no kids a 1 bed condo at a lower sukhumvit address.... people with kids in a 2 or 3 bedroom place...... or people like me, in a decent 300sq.m+ house in te suburbs or higher sukhumvit......

Its only the TEFL teachers that are shacked up in a mickey-mouse back-packer grade flat...... and nothing wrong with that either......

i can only smile when i read these kind of "judgments". one sees a Buddha sculpture and determines "Thai style house", the other one looks at a chair and claims "house not comfortable" and a third one determines "old Thais and Euros like..." or "does not compare well with Canadian homes". are you people for real?

now waiting patiently for an expert to come up -after evaluating one of the oriental rugs- and forecast what's for dinner in my home coming sunday and what kind of wine will be served with it.

reading some of these "intelligent" remarks this is what comes to my mind :lol:

Edited by Naam

i can only smile when i read these kind of "judgments". one sees a Buddha sculpture and determines "Thai style house", the other one looks at a chair and claims "house not comfortable" and a third one determines "old Thais and Euros like..." or "does not compare well with Canadian homes". are you people for real?

now waiting patiently for an expert to come up -after evaluating one of the oriental rugs- and forecast what's for dinner in my home coming sunday and what kind of wine will be served with it.

I am sure whatever it is will be delicious.....where is my invitation...and can you tell the guy on the gate to let my pickup in this time :rolleyes:

Here in Thailand however, I think it is a truism that people driving a new accord or better generally are not living in bed-sit condos with their family of 5.......

I think you can have a nice home and money, but a crappy car...... but less likely the other way around...... in general.

You clearly don't understand Thai people or the concept of 'face'

But don't worry, 95% of other posters on Tv are in the same boat with you.

You're stuck on this Buddha statue. It has nothing to do with that, or the Thai pictures. It is the general layout and design that for me points to it having Thai styling, or more specifically hi-so Thai style. I don't think anyone mentioned the chairs, although you're right, they don't look comfortable at all, but probably do look impressive to visiting Thais.

I'm thinking something Persian to eat, and whatever wine goes good with lamb.

mario299 :lol:

Finding a place that is well managed is not easy, but some of the more reputable developers (eg. Raimon Land) take care to put good management companies in place before they hand over. They are not usually at the cheapest end of the spectrum though.

So I suppose the cheaper Americans and Aussies and Europeans are all living in mansions on Beverly Hills type estates and sending their half Thai kids to 150,000 baht a month international schools?

All your post was intended to do was incite a slur against Brits whom you are obviously totally jealous of.