So Many Decaying Housing Estates.

Richb2004v2

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of nice single houses on estates but there are no estates with consistently nice houses throughout that are older than 5 years.

we started building 6 years ago and live since 5 years in a gated community where the first homes were built more than 10 years ago. there's no decay, no unkempt gardens, no homes which need paint.

most probably you are looking at "estates" clustered with shacks and huts with 120-150m² living area, built on 80-100 Wah² lots. take a look at "estates" where the minimum lot size is one Rai and the "small" homes have living areas starting at 500m² and then repeat your claim.

:whistling:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that the modern way that Thais build is, with a 30yrs life span for buildings? So no need to maintain?

jb1

I'd say that without maintenance a house here would begin to look very jaded after 10 years, but probably less. There are houses on my Soi that have been up around 5 years and now look a bit worse for wear.

The worst I've seen is when they build a pond in the garden and within two months is is neglected and full of stagnant water never to be touched again. That really adds to the aesthetics of the property.

It is the same for sure, with the lower rated hotels. They will build a new one. It will look beautiful, in a few years it's a dump. You see many places,with a well designed garden, with water feature's. Just left to nature, all overgrown and shabby. Maybe just lack of pride?

jb1

Naam has observed about what I have, here in CM. Those Divisions where the lots are at least 200 to 400 sq.wah seem to keep out the trailer trash types and the cheap 2 bedroom starter homes. Those that allow the small lots even among the large lots will be those that go into decay mode, fairly quickly.

The most secure from this seem to be those Moo Bans who dictate the larger land size, proportional house size, provide security and restrictions against commercial ventures inside the Moo Ban. There are not too many here in CM who fit the latter scenario, those that do are considered too expensive by many potential buyers. CM does not seem to have the number of wealthy as Bangkok area and the Bangkokians who purchase holiday homes here seem to not want to make a huge investment.

I've seen plenty of totally failed estates around CM.

Near San Glang (just beyond Hang Dong) was a failed estate built by the King, about 500 houses with 10 residents and the jungle moving in fast, whole roads were overgrown and impassable.

First one I lived on only had 3 houses built, all the other plots were sold during the property boom, the water supply stopped working for weeks on end.

One of the other 2 houses was permanently vacant and advertised for rent or sale, the other was lived in 6 months of the year by a white man and his Thai wife.

A great reason not to buy a property in Thailand, as you never know what it will look like in a couple of years.

Also

I wouldn't want to live on any estate that had white men living there.

Not that I object to the men, but rather the type of women who lived with them.

Did that twice, won't be doing it again.Thai couples are so much nicer.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I wouldn't want to live on any estate that had white men living there.

Not that I object to the men, but rather the type of women who lived with them.

Did that twice, won't be doing it again.Thai couples are so much nicer.

If ThaiVisa members were on the estate you'd be fine, that's if you can put up with the constant barrage of young women from influential families who apparently go after ThaiVisa members with great vigor.

It could get noisy when the Masters Degrees start flying.

Edited by MrsMills

After moaning about my estate for the past couple of years I know see that compared to all others I've visited this one is the best.

It's hard for me to understand the Thai attitude to houses and where they live. They seem not to be at all concerned about the things that deter westerners. Noise and mess are seemingly not important. It amazes me when I see a huge new house built next door to a slum or a noisy intersection. I guess it's a huge advantage to be able to ignore these things.

Are you joking?

No better place to have one.

All those poor filthy peasants gazing upon your pristine mansion everyday. Walking out the door and seeing them all living in shit as you slip into your aircon Benz and the 3000b p/m Burmese security salutes and opens the electric gate. Would give you a 3 inch erection for the entire day!

To them the western way is probably very strange.

Building a big house where no one poorer than you is forced to look at it? huh.gif

Wotz da point in that? rolleyes.gif

Thais are a beautiful people though. Inside like.

Edited by hehehoho

in my village the locals had a meeting and were given the option to pay 50 baht a month for a village service. for this small amount of money we were going to get xtra street lighting, weekly refuge collection by the local council. they had a vote and decided it was too expensive :whistling: now i know everyone in my village are not millionaires but 50 baht a month is within reach of all families. instead they decided to burn their rubbish and polute the air and walk on the streets in the dark. i find that if someone does take the time to build a pretty house, they paint it once, have a party to save face and show it off and then never make any improvements on it again.

i and my friend in the next village over take real nice care of our gardens. the local people always comment on how pretty it looked. now thankfully it seems to have run off on the locals and litle by little they are starting to plant some flowers and shrubs. obviously they only plant things they can eat from later but the village is looking better. my friend in the next village has a fine looking dog that he washes regularly and feeds well. the thai neighbours are now looking after their animals also. i dont know if they are choosing to copy what we are both doing because they think it is a good idea or if they are just trying to save face, but its definitely good for the village.

what i am saying is, try to lead by example in everything you do and without doubt some of it will rub off. :jap:

in my village the locals had a meeting and were given the option to pay 50 baht a month for a village service. for this small amount of money we were going to get xtra street lighting, weekly refuge collection by the local council. they had a vote and decided it was too expensive :whistling: now i know everyone in my village are not millionaires but 50 baht a month is within reach of all families. instead they decided to burn their rubbish and polute the air and walk on the streets in the dark. i find that if someone does take the time to build a pretty house, they paint it once, have a party to save face and show it off and then never make any improvements on it again.

i and my friend in the next village over take real nice care of our gardens. the local people always comment on how pretty it looked. now thankfully it seems to have run off on the locals and litle by little they are starting to plant some flowers and shrubs. obviously they only plant things they can eat from later but the village is looking better. my friend in the next village has a fine looking dog that he washes regularly and feeds well. the thai neighbours are now looking after their animals also. i dont know if they are choosing to copy what we are both doing because they think it is a good idea or if they are just trying to save face, but its definitely good for the village.

what i am saying is, try to lead by example in everything you do and without doubt some of it will rub off. :jap:

It's a joy to read something positive, instead of "Why should I ... when they ...".

Instead of working to bring our standards down to those of other people, we should show that we can maintain the standards to which we think they should aspire.

I own a tenement flat, and it is in the worst building in the street. But I hope that if I look after my property, the owners who do not want to do so will be able to sell their properties at a good price to someone who will value it higher.

Then, hopefully, one day our building will not be the worst.

I might go back and tidy the back green again this year...

SC

in my village the locals had a meeting and were given the option to pay 50 baht a month for a village service. for this small amount of money we were going to get xtra street lighting, weekly refuge collection by the local council. they had a vote and decided it was too expensive :whistling: now i know everyone in my village are not millionaires but 50 baht a month is within reach of all families.

I'm pretty sure I could find a better way to spend 1/2 a days wages.

]

Some nice well maintained older condo units in Wong Amat beach area.

The OP is talking about Housing estates, no comparison with condos,

which by law require management companies and committees to maintain them.

in my village the locals had a meeting and were given the option to pay 50 baht a month for a village service. for this small amount of money we were going to get xtra street lighting, weekly refuge collection by the local council. they had a vote and decided it was too expensive :whistling: now i know everyone in my village are not millionaires but 50 baht a month is within reach of all families.

I'm pretty sure I could find a better way to spend 1/2 a days wages.

what are you talking about,half a days wages ! the minimum wage in thailand for unskilled is 250 baht a day. the people in my village were asked to spend 50 baht............... a month per house hold. read the post and try to give at the very least an intelligent and informed response. otherwise just shaaaaaaaaadup. :D

what are you talking about,half a days wages ! the minimum wage in thailand for unskilled is 250 baht a day.

Incorrect.

MW varies from province to province. Current MW in Bangkok is 216b p/d.

try to give at the very least an intelligent and informed response. otherwise just shaaaaaaaaadup.

Quite.

what are you talking about,half a days wages ! the minimum wage in thailand for unskilled is 250 baht a day. the people in my village were asked to spend 50 baht............... a month per house hold. read the post and try to give at the very least an intelligent and informed response. otherwise just shaaaaaaaaadup. :D

Any links to back up your claim of 250 baht per day?

Try the following links to the contrary,

http://www.boi.go.th...demographic.asp

http://thailand-busi...es-minimum-wage

http://thailand-busi...se-minimum-wage

http://news.asiaone....501-276591.html

http://www.thailand-...ge-in-thailand/

I read somewhere that the modern way that Thais build is, with a 30yrs life span for buildings? So no need to maintain?

jb1

I have had thai people tell me the same thing about thai homes. They stated it is th brick ones not the wooden ones. The wood ones will last a century they said.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of nice single houses on estates but there are no estates with consistently nice houses throughout that are older than 5 years.

we started building 6 years ago and live since 5 years in a gated community where the first homes were built more than 10 years ago. there's no decay, no unkempt gardens, no homes which need paint.

most probably you are looking at "estates" clustered with shacks and huts with 120-150m² living area, built on 80-100 Wah² lots. take a look at "estates" where the minimum lot size is one Rai and the "small" homes have living areas starting at 500m² and then repeat your claim.

I've not been to an estates with shacks or huts on them. Just because an estate has houses priced between 3 to 6 million baht isn't reason enough to accept that within a short time it will be a decaying mess. How much need to spent to ensure a spot on this uniquely pristine 'development' that you talk of? Even if what you say is true I can't imagine that you are not more than a stones throw from some form of semi-slum.

The only estates that I felt were immaculate and desirable locations are the ones that I have since discovered to have decayed immensely.

Yesterday we drove quite far out of our way for an hour or so in an area we have never been before and didn't see a single estate that looked anything other than typical. I can only imagine that these estates with huge houses in neat surroundings must be well hidden from view.

Naam in all honesty you may live in such an estate but in all my time in Thailand I have never seen one like you state. I believe you live in one donot get me wrong . But I think this thread is about the housing estates that are all over this country that have been built in the last 15 years or less since the boom started. We arenot discussing the upper level purchases. This is more about the 1 million tp 10 million baht homes in what thais call estates. Few expats spend more than 10 million on a home here.You can afford the best and good for you. 10million baht is over $300,000 american most people retired here wouldnot want to pay more than that for a home they donot own. And estates in these price ranges were built on speculation only. Spec houses the world over are garbage.In Thailand more so. Speculators heer saw a chance to build cheap houses on land they owned and make big profits,fill their pockets and also buy the land a little further away and wait for their next chance to do it again.

Where you live isnot common at all it is definitely elite

Edited by lovelomsak

Naam in all honesty you may live in such an estate but in all my time in Thailand I have never seen one like you state.

Me too. Other than the now decaying one I spoke of.

Naam in all honesty you may live in such an estate but in all my time in Thailand I have never seen one like you state.

Me too. Other than the now decaying one I spoke of.

i know of at least a dozen that exist in Pattaya/Jomtien. that you have not seen one "in all honesty" might be the case. simple reason: most of these (gated) communities cannot be entered without a resident's prior approval conveyed to the gatehouse.

Naam has observed about what I have, here in CM. Those Divisions where the lots are at least 200 to 400 sq.wah seem to keep out the trailer trash types and the cheap 2 bedroom starter homes. Those that allow the small lots even among the large lots will be those that go into decay mode, fairly quickly.

The most secure from this seem to be those Moo Bans who dictate the larger land size, proportional house size, provide security and restrictions against commercial ventures inside the Moo Ban. There are not too many here in CM who fit the latter scenario, those that do are considered too expensive by many potential buyers. CM does not seem to have the number of wealthy as Bangkok area and the Bangkokians who purchase holiday homes here seem to not want to make a huge investment.

I've noticed the same. A friend of mine's home in Chiang Mai, off hwy 118 is in an exclusive mooban. The property is large and the home is very nice; and it's at least 5 years old. All the other homes in that mooban are also well kept and attractive. But, I've been to a few other moobans that are very seedy looking after a couple of years. Maybe it's the clientel who are living there.

But I think this thread is about the housing estates that are all over this country that have been built in the last 15 years or less since the boom started. We arenot discussing the upper level purchases. This is more about the 1 million tp 10 million baht homes in what thais call estates.

perhaps i should apologise Lovelomsak. please take into consideration that English is my third language. "estate" meant for me "upscale" and i considered "upscale" in Thailand starting at 20mm Baht till i read your explanation. to be fair i have to admit that in the community where i live a small number of properties do exist which were sold in the price range of 10-12mm Baht some years ago. but they are all well kept and not in a state of decay.

i know of at least a dozen that exist in Pattaya/Jomtien. that you have not seen one "in all honesty" might be the case. simple reason: most of these (gated) communities cannot be entered without a resident's prior approval conveyed to the gatehouse.

If you don't mind, can I ask how much roughly it costs to buy a house on one of these estates? The estates I've been looking at probably max out at around 10 million baht. I would be really interested in these high end places as I've never seen one.

Edited by Richb2004v2

I've noticed the same. A friend of mine's home in Chiang Mai, off hwy 118 is in an exclusive mooban. The property is large and the home is very nice; and it's at least 5 years old. All the other homes in that mooban are also well kept and attractive. But, I've been to a few other moobans that are very seedy looking after a couple of years. Maybe it's the clientel who are living there.

why "maybe" Ian? who else would be responsible for any decay?

10 - 12 million is a lot of money in any country to ensure a decent standard. That kind of money would buy a great house in the uk, or probably anywhere in Europe. I've been looking at houses for a third to half that price in the Uk and all were in streets and areas cleaner and better kept than any I've seen in Thailand, other than maybe the ones you talk of. It doesn't seem quite right that in a developing country like Thailand you need to spent 500k pounds to enjoy a decent standard. Than again, maybe it does. I wonder what proportion of Thais live in houses priced 10 - 20 million?

If you don't mind, can I ask how much roughly it costs to buy a house on one of these estates? The estates I've been looking at probably max out at around 10 million baht. I would be really interested in these high end places as I've never seen one.

it all depends on size (land size and home size). a friend of mine lives in a posh gated community in Jomtien (much "posher" :lol: than mine!) where land prices have reached 45,000 Baht per wah². there you find rather small homes (150m² on 80w² land) for 12-14 million Baht. land, home, pool and garden fit for dwarfs and the garage size just right for a Jazz or a Vios. all land (like in a neighbouring community) surrounded by high walls divided by narrow roads... = depressing!

where i live (2km east of Sukhumvit) 90% of the homes are built on one Rai or more. no walls, just ornamental fences, wide roads, well kept gardens to look at when passing by, hardly any traffic, no noise especially for us located on a cul de sac.

here's an old picture of our home dated sept 2005, a month after we moved in (garden/trees not yet mature and road dirty because of construction opposite):

post-35218-0-49195600-1304330737_thumb.j

10 - 12 million is a lot of money in any country to ensure a decent standard. That kind of money would buy a great house in the uk, or probably anywhere in Europe.

wrong assumption Rich! 12 million Baht = 270,000 €URos will buy you a nice rowhouse in good suburb of Hamburg, Frankfurt or Düsseldorf and in a real posh München area you might get a big double garage for that price if you are lucky (i exaggerate a wee bit :lol: )

no exaggeration is that we couldn't have afforded to build our Thai home anywhere in Germany. an (expert) friend of mine estimated in 2006 the building cost (ex land) at approximately 1.8-2.2 m €UR.

But I think this thread is about the housing estates that are all over this country that have been built in the last 15 years or less since the boom started. We arenot discussing the upper level purchases. This is more about the 1 million tp 10 million baht homes in what thais call estates.

perhaps i should apologise Lovelomsak. please take into consideration that English is my third language. "estate" meant for me "upscale" and i considered "upscale" in Thailand starting at 20mm Baht till i read your explanation. to be fair i have to admit that in the community where i live a small number of properties do exist which were sold in the price range of 10-12mm Baht some years ago. but they are all well kept and not in a state of decay.

No need to apologize I understand your position very well. I also understand to keep that quality privacy is a must. By that i mean good security and certainly not letting uninvited quests any where on the property.

Also the 10 to 12 million neighbours you mention who bought a few years ago the market was different then also 10 to 12 million was more high end then that it is now. So your home is elite no doubt. But I think you will agree that many "Thai estates" get looking fairly shabby early in their aging. As Ian said it is the clientele.. Ghettos are inhabited by ghetto dwellers. The other side of it is the homes were built poorly to start with ,probably no were near the standard of yours.

Estate in Thailand means upscale too but Thailands upsacle is not up tp world standards. Thailand take the money and run standards.

Edited by lovelomsak

My son just bought a small, 2 bedroom stucco home in Victoria, BC, Canada. It cost him the equivalent of 16 million baht.

Ian_Kalen_2.sized.jpg

My home in Duncan is larger and nicer, but the properties values are lower than Victora. It's listed at about 12 million baht.

Spring_snow_2.sized.jpg

I"ve seen far nicer homes than ours in Chiang Mai for much less.

In the nicer neighbourhoods in Vancouver or Toronto my home would be worth over 30 million baht.

My son just bought a small, 2 bedroom stucco home in Victoria, BC, Canada. It cost him the equivalent of 16 million baht.

Ian_Kalen_2.sized.jpg

My home in Duncan is larger and nicer, but the properties values are lower than Victora. It's listed at about 12 million baht.

Spring_snow_2.sized.jpg

I"ve seen far nicer homes than ours in Chiang Mai for much less.

In the nicer neighbourhoods in Vancouver or Toronto my home would be worth over 30 million baht.

Ian is that Victoria or Colwood?:lol:

My house in the UK was nothing special

I paid 300,000UKP cash when it was 70bht to the pound, that's about 20 million bht.

I agree with you Ian, houses in Thailand aren't all that special, and those on the estates aren't all that rich.