Canary Bay (A Charming Alsatian Restaurant)

Jingthing

This is one of the culinary treasures of Jomtien. Quite an interesting menu (from rabbit, to trout, to lamb, and their specialty the 'Choucrouterie served with Khun Noy’s delicious homemade Sauerkraut'.) with huge portions and friendly prices. What more could you ask for?

Well, you could ask that they stay open which is why I am posting. The place is always buzzing high season but its very slow now. Expats, don't miss this place, low season or high season, and help them get through the thin times.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=21620

I've just looked at the resaurant's advert in Pattaya People and blanched at some of the prices. Starters at 250 and 290 Bahts are far too high for this economic climate. Get real guys. They might be really scrumpchy but you're appealing to the top end of the market and you're not going to find them 50 metres up Soi 5 in Jomptien. Good luck.

There's a VERY AMPLE Choucrouterie plate suitable for one hungry person at about 250 baht. Good luck finding that portion and quality for something like that anywhere in Thailand. It includes pork sausages, ribs, pork belly, potatoes, and a large portion of their simply incredible Sauerkraut. They don't need good luck with that food and prices (although right now I do think they could use some more publicity). You don't need to order an appetizer and you can drink soda water for 30 baht. If that's too rich, sorry. Like I said they have been buzzing for years in the high season but I don't see any reason why they need to be a high season only restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

If I want to eat Alsatian I'll go to a Korean restaurant :whistling:

Is it good?

Behave.

post-37101-0-81713200-1304014649_thumb.j

Anyway, give it a try. It won't break most banks. Don't expect 5 star setting or food though. It's rustic country style.

BTW, I'm curious. Were most of you even AWARE this restaurant exists? It gets a mostly non-Anglo crowd (French/German, etc.)

Edited by Jingthing

'Choucrouterie served with Khun Noy’s delicious homemade Sauerkraut'

hmm. I'm rather perplexed because Choucroute already means Sauerkraut in French, so this would translate to "Sauerkraut served with Sauerkraut"

It would make sense though if "choucrouterie" was in fact two words: "Choucroute garnie", which designates a dish of Sauerkraut served with pork belly, sausage, etc. traditionally served in Alsace.

Then I look at the pattayapeople article, they write:

"But the most famous specialty here is the Choucrouterie (sometimes pronounced Charcuterie) Alsacienne"

err... a definite no.

I think pattayapeople got something mixed up.

- Charcuterie = processed meat products (smoked porc belly, sausages, pâtés, etc.)

- Charcuterie Alsacienne = processed meat products from Alsace

- Choucroute = French word for Sauerkraut

- Choucrouterie = a place making or serving Sauerkraut

- Choucroute Alsacienne = traditional Sauerkraut dish from Alsace, served with processed meat products from Alsace

And in general, no, people don't need starter dishes if they order a choucroute garnie, normally I never reach the end of such a dish and I am a good eater.

Here is a pic of how the dish looks:

elzasas-skabie-kaposti-choucroute-alsacienne-1.jpg

Edited by manarak

Yes, that's how it looks indeed and no it's not something you would feel like eating everyday. They have other stuff as well but be careful of their creamed mash potatoes, a diet killer for sure.

Edited by Jingthing

Oooh, I was doing ok till I saw the pictures! Think I'll give it a miss.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This may come as a shock, but a lot of people give a miss for this :

err... yeah. definitely

Is it good?

Behave.

Anyway, give it a try. It won't break most banks. Don't expect 5 star setting or food though. It's rustic country style.

BTW, I'm curious. Were most of you even AWARE this restaurant exists? It gets a mostly non-Anglo crowd (French/German, etc.)

Yes, many of us are aware, and have eaten there many times.

Very interesting and different menu, but a little heavy on the calories. More suited to a northern European climate.

Be careful about complaining, I seem to remember him being arrested a few years ago for stabbing a German in the stomach.

The owner of the Canary Bay died in a motor accident last September, his wife is continuing the business.

'Choucrouterie served with Khun Noy’s delicious homemade Sauerkraut'

hmm. I'm rather perplexed because Choucroute already means Sauerkraut in French, so this would translate to "Sauerkraut served with Sauerkraut"

It would make sense though if "choucrouterie" was in fact two words: "Choucroute garnie", which designates a dish of Sauerkraut served with pork belly, sausage, etc. traditionally served in Alsace.

Then I look at the pattayapeople article, they write:

"But the most famous specialty here is the Choucrouterie (sometimes pronounced Charcuterie) Alsacienne"

err... a definite no.

I think pattayapeople got something mixed up.

- Charcuterie = processed meat products (smoked porc belly, sausages, pâtés, etc.)

- Charcuterie Alsacienne = processed meat products from Alsace

- Choucroute = French word for Sauerkraut

- Choucrouterie = a place making or serving Sauerkraut

- Choucroute Alsacienne = traditional Sauerkraut dish from Alsace, served with processed meat products from Alsace

And in general, no, people don't need starter dishes if they order a choucroute garnie, normally I never reach the end of such a dish and I am a good eater.

Here is a pic of how the dish looks:

elzasas-skabie-kaposti-choucroute-alsacienne-1.jpg

That looks good to me. I have only eaten something similar one time, and it was fantastic. The dish had large pork ribs and sausage and ham w/ bone and sauerkraut mixed together with interesting spices and cooked in white wine (think some apples on top too). I am hungry. The post showing the British breakfast actually looks good too, except that disgusting-looking black stuff in the corner.

That looks good to me. I have only eaten something similar one time, and it was fantastic. The dish had large pork ribs and sausage and ham w/ bone and sauerkraut mixed together with interesting spices and cooked in white wine (think some apples on top too). I am hungry. The post showing the British breakfast actually looks good too, except that disgusting-looking black stuff in the corner.

It looks good to me too. That 'disgusting stuff' BTW is black pudding, aka fried slices of congealed pigs blood with lumps of pig fat inside - how can it be disgusting, it's traditional British fare for breakfast. Love it.

Is it good?

Behave.

Hi Jingthing,

Choucroute Alsacienne is French.

That explains why you'll find mostly non-Anglo customers there.

Anyway they don't know what there missing. (The Anglo's I mean)

Yermanee :jap:

Be careful about complaining, I seem to remember him being arrested a few years ago for stabbing a German in the stomach.

The owner of the Canary Bay died in a motor accident last September, his wife is continuing the business.

OMG, I hadn't realized that. Sorry to hear it.

Yeah but if you look at a map Alsace is near Germany, thus the overlap with things like sauerkraut, etc. I don't claim to be a sauerkraut expert but Canary Bay has the best sauerkraut I have tasted, clearly a different style than German. Edited by Jingthing

Yeah but if you look at a map Alsace is near Germany, thus the overlap with things like sauerkraut, etc. I don't claim to be a sauerkraut expert but Canary Bay has the best sauerkraut I have tasted, clearly a different style than German.

Haven't found good sauerkraut in Thailand yet so will definitely give it a try.

BTW, Alsace has been part of Germany several times the last couple of hundred years.