Pheu Thai Party Offers Tablets To Thai Students

webfact

My understanding is if you can access the internet you can access a relational database........you know the types used by police,major banks, goverments.....all very difficult to access I'm sure......

Your lack of knowledge in IT is really obvious.

If they are to be able to use their tablet computers outside of school to access the internet, they will need to be either in a wireless network "hotspot" (which can cost money - to use at home they'll need to set up internet access with a wireless network router, or to use at a cafe they may need to pay per hour) or have a 3G/EDGE account (which costs money, like a mobile phone contract).

Edited by hyperdimension

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is if you can access the internet you can access a relational database........you know the types used by police,major banks, goverments.....all very difficult to access I'm sure......

Your lack of knowledge in IT is really obvious.

If they are to be able to use their tablet computers outside of school to access the internet, they will need to be either in a wireless network "hotspot" (which can cost money - to use at home they'll need to set up internet access with a wireless network router, or to use at a cafe they may need to pay per hour) or have a 3G/EDGE account (which costs money, like a mobile phone contract).

I guess my vision is just capable of further reach than those of you who live in the world of today.....perhaps my knowledge of how quickly internet connection can advance is greater than yours..........hence the reference to the high speed rail link as a real benefit if (as I fully expect they will) communication lines run along side. There is possibility of mega communication capacity running up through the country.

Once again crticism of a minor part of an experiment.....the main use of the tool is surely education.......if the children cannot use the tablets at home, they will not need to take them there....so loss and damage is not so much of an issue is it?.....you can't have it both ways........

:) a foreign funded potential high-speed-rail link .... and IT for rural primary schools? I think not only is someone stretching, but he is ignoring his own arguments. If IT improved that much then the tablets would be outdated.

nobody said the tablets would not be usable at home. they said that surfing the internet would not be free. The only free place to update/upgrade the "toy" would be at school. Meaning yes, you can have it both ways. The 20% of them that are working after 6 months would still be usable for assignments at home for free.

I am glad somebody is willing to piss away education (tax) dollars that could be spent in so many different ways with a much higher probability of success!

In positive way it is good for the children to learn andgain information needed for their study. In negative way it could be used as atool to spread propaganda. But why should we worry about what might or might nothappen. If the positive out ride the negative our children could have easyaccess to all knowledge which their parent never had. For farang in Thailand,why should it concern you whether or not Thaksin will govern Thailand again?Don’t forget that for whatever it worth under Thaksin there was more investmentfrom outside the country than it has now.

Anything else is just another mud sling for politician andopposition that is politic.

Give it up JD.....:)

I try not to talk too much about my BF of 8+ years on here, but he's the IT security director for a major bank in Thailand. He's had a good laugh at this idea floated by PTP to show the largesse of Thaksin :)

No problem JD ..... when he has finished laughing perhaps he will drop in and update us all on the massive input his bank has had in developing the communications to rural schools......many banks do and it would be good to see some positive input........and good to know what they plan for the future.....

Edited by 473geo

Give it up JD.....:)

I try not to talk too much about my BF of 8+ years on here, but he's the IT security director for a major bank in Thailand. He's had a good laugh at this idea floated by PTP to show the largesse of Thaksin :)

No problem JD ..... when he has finished laughing perhaps he will drop in and update us all on the massive input his bank has had in developing the communications to rural schools......many banks do and it would be good to see some positive input........and good to know what they plan for the future.....

LOL .. yes I am sure he will pop right on and post about where he works in detail .....

Again I do think it is worth repeating that I am proud of your stance of throwing away education $$ on an extremely flawed idea!

In positive way it is good for the children to learn andgain information needed for their study. In negative way it could be used as atool to spread propaganda. But why should we worry about what might or might nothappen. If the positive out ride the negative our children could have easyaccess to all knowledge which their parent never had. For farang in Thailand,why should it concern you whether or not Thaksin will govern Thailand again?Don't forget that for whatever it worth under Thaksin there was more investmentfrom outside the country than it has now.

Anything else is just another mud sling for politician andopposition that is politic.

The "tablet" idea is honestly unworkable. There simply is no way to do it and have it be successful.

PTP would do better with a clean and smart infrastructure idea such as "A library in every town with 1000 people or more, to include an internet lab", which of course would

1) create 1000's of new jobs

2) benefit education at every level.

3) provide a clean air-conditioned environment to the public etc

Are you sure that

1) there is less direct foreign investment now than under Thaksin? (I think the SET might show that to be a false assumption!)

and

2) If there is less foreign direct investment in Thailand now than prior to Thaksin being given a well deserved vacation from politics (cough*), do you think that the world economy might be more of a reason than any other potential reason?

:) a foreign funded potential high-speed-rail link .... and IT for rural primary schools? I think not only is someone stretching, but he is ignoring his own arguments. If IT improved that much then the tablets would be outdated.

nobody said the tablets would not be usable at home. they said that surfing the internet would not be free. The only free place to update/upgrade the "toy" would be at school. Meaning yes, you can have it both ways. The 20% of them that are working after 6 months would still be usable for assignments at home for free.

I am glad somebody is willing to piss away education (tax) dollars that could be spent in so many different ways with a much higher probability of success!

I guess I am pleased to address any suggestion that may have a chance of success.......of course currently untried therefore an unknown.......to all but the Tvisa guys with their crystal balls.......

However until a more plausible solution is forwarded and provided, I can only think the Thai people must accept what they can get......gotta be worth a try in the face of no alternative.....

Actually Geo, I disagree again! First, when starting ANY new project you need to do a risk versus return analysis. The "tablet" thing is all risk and no return. A PEST(EL) or SWOT analysis of the "tablet" idea wouldn't get past the T ..and since it is technology that we are dealing with the T should be first.

Second, if PTP would stop pushing for a return of Thaksin and start actually being concerned about the poor in Thailand the people would NOT have to just accept what they could get. They absolutely failed as an opposition party! They had large numbers and could have easily not only called the current government on problems, but also had a shadow government that proposed solutions AND had the popular backing enough to see that the government was forced into accepting better policies put forward by the opposition!

The people of Thailand DO deserve more and if the rural Thais from ALL of Thailand dumped the crook and pushed together for reform ...... They would have a real basis for a grass-roots movement to DEMAND better education from the government (any government!) They could INSIST that money went into infra-structure development in more rural areas of Thailand. They could REFUSE vote-buying and actually vote for people that care! (The people that care would be at risk ...) The people could demand electoral reform and laws that punish corruption. Corruption from the village kanman all the way to the PM!

='sundaram444' timestamp='1304043405' post='4388571']

The Pheu Thai party is offering freebies to get the votes.

In a recent state elections in Tamil Nadu state of South India , the two major parties vying with other offering freebies like lap tops, TVs , and mixers and Dresses , Saris etc.

The ignorant people of this state would vote for these corrupt and looting politicians.

This kind of exploiting by these politicians has been going on for a long time.

The Pheu Thai party leader must have seen this on the Internet and wants to do the same .

The politicians should not offer freebies. Let the people work and earn and buy whatever they need.

Offering free things will create lazy, and useless people , and drunkards and thugs.

Aha , some-one hit the nail on the head , the elite wants to keep the electorate more or less as it is , free gifts of these tablets will ensure that for a while at least , until most are sold off by hard up students .

How much does a talking dict. with internet cost? Thailand already knows how to make their own linux based readers with wi-fi. In the end - when the number of books it would replace are counted - it would cost ten times less then the paper and binder libraries they didn't get in the last 100 years and won't see any time soon. Anyway if they did many of the books would be already out of date before that project is half done. Readers don't go out of date.

Built in large numbers the price drops and exported to other countries - bing go - off set. But then I am still waiting the solar cells the Thai research center has spent 20 years mowing the lawn around and producing nothing - maybe a good idea would be to ask some pro's that want to get sometimes done and not just re fill their rice bowl everyday.

Actually Geo, I disagree again! First, when starting ANY new project you need to do a risk versus return analysis. The "tablet" thing is all risk and no return. A PEST(EL) or SWOT analysis of the "tablet" idea wouldn't get past the T ..and since it is technology that we are dealing with the T should be first.

Second, if PTP would stop pushing for a return of Thaksin and start actually being concerned about the poor in Thailand the people would NOT have to just accept what they could get. They absolutely failed as an opposition party! They had large numbers and could have easily not only called the current government on problems, but also had a shadow government that proposed solutions AND had the popular backing enough to see that the government was forced into accepting better policies put forward by the opposition!

The people of Thailand DO deserve more and if the rural Thais from ALL of Thailand dumped the crook and pushed together for reform ...... They would have a real basis for a grass-roots movement to DEMAND better education from the government (any government!) They could INSIST that money went into infra-structure development in more rural areas of Thailand. They could REFUSE vote-buying and actually vote for people that care! (The people that care would be at risk ...) The people could demand electoral reform and laws that punish corruption. Corruption from the village kanman all the way to the PM!

If you are offered something that may improve your education for free.....there is no risk to you.....government will only spend it on boats that sink themselves.....and resurface only when more cash is required.......:)

I agree change in the political process is required.....unfortunately I believe it will lag behind the IT rollercoaster....

Edited by 473geo

'Jawnie' timestamp='1304049551' post='4388864']

It's not negativity about the quality of teaching or anything about education. It's that a politician would make such a promise that will surely never come to pass. In that case, it's an outlandish proposal. Think of the practicalities and logistical issues involved, for starters, the money for these things, where will the money come from; when and where? Then the distribution and training, the students need to know how to operate them for the tablets are any help to them. This would mean the teachers themselves would need to know how to operate them, that the teachers would all need them, too. That's more training and curriculum development. What about service, defective units, etc.? Let's not forget the black market for stolen units, both from the import warehouse and by students themselves. It's just a ridiculous and irresponsible thing to say. angry.gif

Yes, it would be great to have these things. Are there any other countries in the world that have done such a thing? How did it go?

'Humphrey Bear' timestamp='1304039877' post='4388428']

Don't be so negative, everyone.

With the standard of teaching in most Thai schools being under the zero line, it will enable the few kids who want to, to learn. The rest can play computer games, look up their local yaa-baa dealer or contribute to ThaiVisa.

Yes , look up Norway some-time , fantastic success , but read on how the scheme was applied .

Tablet computers in China and India have a price range of Bt3,000-Bt6,000, and Thai schools could get a cheaper price by buying in bulk, he said.

I wonder if the tablets are the same as the "$10 Tablet PC" the Indian government developed for their students:

Government Of India Unviels Sakshat $10 Tablet PCs for Students

Sounds like a decent tool for University Students.

Unfortunately the PTP proposal calls for 'every primary school student would be given a tablet computer free of charge.' :ermm:

Edited by rubl

Old tactics used by Taksin to try to buy the vote of Thailand's disenfranchised. What good will tablets do for the students? They are computers and students will use them for games.

The computer and the internet are very good learning tools. Games can be locked out. Why so negative about this very good idea. At the very least the students will know how to turn on a computer and navigate a bit which is better than many adults I know.

Tablet computers in China and India have a price range of Bt3,000-Bt6,000, and Thai schools could get a cheaper price by buying in bulk, he said.

I wonder if the tablets are the same as the "$10 Tablet PC" the Indian government developed for their students:

Unfortunately the PTP proposal calls for 'every primary school student would be given a tablet computer free of charge.' :ermm:

Do not underestimate the ability of children to investigate, learn, absorb.....and remember......especially if the tasks are fun....

Do not underestimate the ability of children to investigate, learn, absorb.....and remember......especially if the tasks are fun....

True, but till now we've only been talking about giving youngsters a tablet. The 'investigate, learn, absorb ... etc.' need some additional planning, setup, ..., ...

That would require an additional budget, resources, ...

No details, only 'give them a tablet' :ermm:

Jdinasia wrote “Are you sure that

1) there is less direct foreign

investment now than under Thaksin? (I think the SET might show that to be a

false assumption!)

and

2) If there is less foreign direct investment in

Thailand now than prior to Thaksin being given a well deserved vacation from

politics (cough*), do you think that the world economy might be more of a reason

than any other potential reason?”

Since Thaksinremoval the Dem policy was very much influence by PAD. The reason PAD thinkthat foreign influence & investment are bad for Thailand due to the oldidea rooted from the old establishment. Thaksin know that without foreigninvestment Thailand won’t progress very well with the world market. Thaksin hastried to change the law on foreign investment from 49/51. Why do you think thatwe have this 49/51 law for foreign investment in Thailand? All you have to dois look at our currency for the past years. The baht is so strong that it doesn’tlook that attractive for exchange rate. Most foreigners that already have theirinvestment in Thailand in property market found themselves in very difficulttime due to law change, strong baht, and the world economy crisis. Thesecombination isn’t really attractive for investment. Our export had become moreexpensive with strong baht.

Have you everheard that any government in this world would admit to you that the country is doingbadly! We always found out when it already too late.

It doesn’t haveto be Thaksin it could be anybody. All we needed is the policy changes andvision for the better Thailand.

If you are offered something that may improve your education for free.....there is no risk to you.....government will only spend it on boats that sink themselves.....and resurface only when more cash is required.......:)

I agree change in the political process is required.....unfortunately I believe it will lag behind the IT rollercoaster....

So ... if I am reading your post correctly .... ignore all practical realities. Don't do any risk vs. return analysis .... Don't look at where money could be BETTER spent in education .. just give away toys that won't last a year! Then write it off to the nonsense argument of "they would only spend it on ,,,,"

The argument is for people to CARE about education and progress, your argument is against that very idea.

Jdinasia wrote "Are you sure that

1) there is less direct foreign

investment now than under Thaksin? (I think the SET might show that to be a

false assumption!)

and

2) If there is less foreign direct investment in

Thailand now than prior to Thaksin being given a well deserved vacation from

politics (cough*), do you think that the world economy might be more of a reason

than any other potential reason?"

Since Thaksinremoval the Dem policy was very much influence by PAD. The reason PAD thinkthat foreign influence & investment are bad for Thailand due to the oldidea rooted from the old establishment. Thaksin know that without foreigninvestment Thailand won't progress very well with the world market. Thaksin hastried to change the law on foreign investment from 49/51. Why do you think thatwe have this 49/51 law for foreign investment in Thailand? All you have to dois look at our currency for the past years. The baht is so strong that it doesn'tlook that attractive for exchange rate. Most foreigners that already have theirinvestment in Thailand in property market found themselves in very difficulttime due to law change, strong baht, and the world economy crisis. Thesecombination isn't really attractive for investment. Our export had become moreexpensive with strong baht.

Have you everheard that any government in this world would admit to you that the country is doingbadly! We always found out when it already too late.

It doesn't haveto be Thaksin it could be anybody. All we needed is the policy changes andvision for the better Thailand.

You didn't answer either points. I think there is currently MORE investment in Thailand by foreigners and foreign companies than before, but I have not looked through all the statistics to be able to prove it. (which is why I am not making absolutes)

Thaksin only changed laws to benefit himself (his companies) and did not change or even try to change the standards for corporate ownership past that.

The Baht is strong. True. The thought that the baht will strengthen more against foreign currency would encourage foreign investment. With the USD weakening even more, the current trend in the US is to invest overseas in places where the currency is strengthening. The current government is not at fault for the weakening of other currencies. The Aussie $ is strengthening significantly.

So ... if I am reading your post correctly .... ignore all practical realities. Don't do any risk vs. return analysis .... Don't look at where money could be BETTER spent in education .. just give away toys that won't last a year! Then write it off to the nonsense argument of "they would only spend it on ,,,,"

The argument is for people to CARE about education and progress, your argument is against that very idea.

No JD I am looking at the offer from the end user benefit, simply put, anything is better than nothing.................

Now if you were to relate to me a list of the ehnancements in the IT sector regarding schools and education over say the last 5 years......and you were to publish figures regarding the advancement and the location of the pupils who may or may not have benefitted by the IT enhancement in schools strategy of recent governments, and if these figures showed a remarkable success story........

Then JD you may have a point about government spend allocation.........

GEO

Might I suggest you take a look at PEST analysis online?

Again, you look at the end user, but fail to look at how the money could be better spent to benefit that same person.

I understand now your previous post about you not even believing your posts completely because nobody that suggests they actually care about education would want to see any money wasted on a project with no chance of success when there are obviously far better ways to spend the same money on education.

I think it may be time to no longer see your arguments on here :)

GEO

Might I suggest you take a look at PEST analysis online?

Again, you look at the end user, but fail to look at how the money could be better spent to benefit that same person.

I understand now your previous post about you not even believing your posts completely because nobody that suggests they actually care about education would want to see any money wasted on a project with no chance of success when there are obviously far better ways to spend the same money on education.

I think it may be time to no longer see your arguments on here :)

I do believe that is what the 'ignore' button is for JD.....I'm surprised you and others don't use it...... after all....... not as if you would be missing anything of substance is it?.......:)

With the standard of teaching in most Thai schools being under the zero line, it will enable the few kids who want to, to learn. The rest can play computer games, look up their local yaa-baa dealer or contribute to ThaiVisa.

And don't forget, the Internet will still be censored from servers in Thailand. By the same government. Where, of course, every civil servant is skilled and capable of understanding what is good and not good for them. .....Err I mean For the people.

Edited by Tanaka

He'd be better off giving them a cheap mobile phone each.

Thais are obsessed with mobile phones they can't get enough of them. I know one girl who has 2 Iphone 4's and 3 BB's!!!!

and very likely 5 farang boyfriends who bought them for her........

You beat me to it lol :lol:

Edited by maprao

it should do the trick,tablets still have good resale value

Right ... simply bribes and graft. Sadly for the rural poor a 3000 baht Chinese made "tablet" will only be worth about 500 baht.

And don't forget, the Internet will still be censored from servers in Thailand. By the same government. Where, of course, every civil servant is skilled and capable of understanding what is good and not good for them. .....Err I mean For the people.

You've got it all wrong. When the PTP wins the election, Thaksin comes back home, and everyone is rich, there will no longer be any censorship of the internet in Thailand. Just like there wasn't any censorship when Thaksin was in power before the coup.