Pheu Thai Party Offers Tablets To Thai Students

webfact

What would happen if a student loses (unintentionally or intentionally (e.g. sold)) his free tablet computer? The parents may not be able to afford to pay for a replacement. Would the government have to pay for a replacement so that the student can participate in classroom activities that require the computer? Or would insurance pay... then insurance would need to be purchased for every tablet computer, which would raise the cost and would be another opportunity for graft.

Most Thai children I know take savings to school every week, they could be asked for a deposit which would cover insurance? the deposit returned if the equipment is returned

Of course I am using my local education village school as an example.....

If you use the deposit to pay for the insurance, what is the source of funds to repay the deposit? Selling returned, out-of-date computers?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would happen if a student loses (unintentionally or intentionally (e.g. sold)) his free tablet computer? The parents may not be able to afford to pay for a replacement. Would the government have to pay for a replacement so that the student can participate in classroom activities that require the computer? Or would insurance pay... then insurance would need to be purchased for every tablet computer, which would raise the cost and would be another opportunity for graft.

Most Thai children I know take savings to school every week, they could be asked for a deposit which would cover insurance? the deposit returned if the equipment is returned

Of course I am using my local education village school as an example.....

If you use the deposit to pay for the insurance, what is the source of funds to repay the deposit? Selling returned, out-of-date computers?

If the tablet is lost the user would lose the deposit, I guess the school or insurance would pay the difference for a replacement. Interest on the deposit funds might go some way to covering insurance costs if that was the chosen way. But that may affect the deposit value set by the school, might be they request a deposit of the full replacement value if the replacement purchase price is very low.

Don't be so negative, everyone.

With the standard of teaching in most Thai schools being under the zero line, it will enable the few kids who want to, to learn. The rest can play computer games, look up their local yaa-baa dealer or contribute to ThaiVisa.

And don't forget, the Internet will still be censored from servers in Thailand. By the same government. Where, of course, every civil servant is skilled and capable of understanding what is good and not good for them. .....Err I mean For the people.

You've got it all wrong. When the PTP wins the election, Thaksin comes back home, and everyone is rich, there will no longer be any censorship of the internet in Thailand. Just like there wasn't any censorship when Thaksin was in power before the coup.

better add emoticons to posts like that, as I think there are people here that would not only miss the sarcasm, but that would actually agree ;)

You've got it all wrong. When the PTP wins the election, Thaksin comes back home, and everyone is rich, there will no longer be any censorship of the internet in Thailand. Just like there wasn't any censorship when Thaksin was in power before the coup.

better add emoticons to posts like that, as I think there are people here that would not only miss the sarcasm, but that would actually agree ;)

Oops. I thought it was so obvious that EVERYONE would see the sarcasm in it. :ph34r:

Computer give-away not as good as it sounds

If Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has his way, Thai elementary-school students will dump their clunky leather school bags for a trendy laptop computer next year. The latest initiative from Thaksin is the One Laptop One Child project, to bridge the gap in the digital divide for children at an early age.

Thaksin may have thought of the idea while he was chatting with his look-alike, Nong Tao Suan, who is barely two years old. Gazing into those little eyes, Thaksin may have come to realise that a shortcut to creating a population of geniuses might be to give away a laptop to every student aged six to 12.

Thaksin failed to say why he conspicuously cut secondary students and teachers out of the project, which is likely to cost at least Bt2 billion.

On his weekly radio programme last weekend, Thaksin proudly boasted that half a million special Linux-based laptops would be shipped to Thailand next year.

That was quite a leap of faith, because Thaksin hasn’t really seen the actual laptop, since the prototype is not expected to be available until the end of this year.

But Thaksin said he expected the Bt4,000 computer would revolutionise the Thai educational system.

The computers will be able to handle cell phones and wi-fi devices, through USB ports. It should work well with broadband online connections.

The idea is the brainchild of tech guru Nicholas Negroponte, chairman and co-founder of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Media Lab, and was brought up at a meeting with Thaksin earlier this month.

Thaksin suddenly clicked, hoping the laptop would not only ratchet up student IQ levels, but also improve their English proficiency, since they now rank second only to Cambodians in Asean in terms of worst English ability.

Thaksin may have had a vision of a new generation of Thai geeks who grow up to be Bill Gates, so he picked elementary-school students as his primary target.

The vision was perhaps inspired by a cable-television commercial featuring a small child with a satellite antenna sticking out of its head.

Thaksin also wants students to have unlimited access to information. Thai textbooks printed on their yellow pulp paper are so outdated, while Internet access would teach children about the globalised world more effectively.

With their laptops, said Thaksin, Thai children wouldn’t have to carry those clunky old school bags anymore. They could just carry their notebook into the classroom, because it could download any textbook needed. Thaksin claimed one laptop would be cheaper than textbooks, pencils and bags combined.

It was a picture-perfect idea for a good response to our digital divide. But when it comes to Thailand, it just may not be.

First of all, when these children receive their own computer laptops, chances are they’ll play online games instead of strive for knowledge. Never underestimate children’s ability to surf the Net. My seven-year-old niece can locate a “Barbie jigsaw” game, even though she can barely speak any English at all.

And more time in front of a computer screen means deteriorating vision. Thaksin said children’s eyes were suitable for the tiny 1-megapixel display screen, but he never mentioned whether the government would be willing to subsidise their eyeglasses later on.

Moreover, Thaksin really puts these little tykes’ lives at great risk, because they’ll have to cart around a Bt4,000 machine. The most valuable item inside their bags will no longer be a candy bar, but rather a sophisticated laptop, so they can no longer casually leave their stuff lying around while participating in physical-education activities. Walking home could become deadly, as they’ll be forced to carry something too expensive for their tender age.

And perhaps most importantly, a computer laptop is not a magic wand that will improve the quality of Thai students. Every semester, parents pay exorbitantly high fees to get their children admitted into a good school, because the quality of teaching fluctuates so wildly. The laptop budget may be better spent on giving each school a good library.

Surfing the Internet is not the best way to learn; reading is still, and always will be, the most fundamental and practical way to learn. Students can take books any and everywhere to read, and books can be passed along from one person to another. Sharing what one reads forges relations with other colleagues.

Thaksin should also start thinking of those children who still have no chance to receive a proper education and will remain illiterate, instead of handing out computers. Otherwise, his project is in danger of becoming simply one more sorry waste once those millions of laptops eventually break down.

And here’s my bet: they won’t last more than a couple of years.

The Nation, August 13, 2005

Jdinasia wrote “You didn't answer either points. I think there is

currently MORE investment in Thailand by foreigners and foreign companies than

before, but I have not looked through all the statistics to be able to prove it.

(which is why I am not making absolutes)

Thaksin only changed

laws to benefit himself (his companies) and did not change or even try to change

the standards for corporate ownership past that.

The Baht is strong.

True. The thought that the baht will strengthen more against foreign currency

would encourage foreign investment. With the USD weakening even more, the

current trend in the US is to invest overseas in places where the currency is

strengthening. The current government is not at fault for the weakening of other

currencies. The Aussie $ is strengthening

significantly.”

Yes, you areright that strong currency should bring more investment but that only in theBanking sector only. As for otherinvestment Thai baht is too expensive for exchange rate. The important factorfor foreign investment is stable currency, Strong GDP, and stable government. Themargin between 5baht and 10baht at the lowest could make a lot of differenceswhen it comes to exchange the currency. Of course it’s good for Thai baht toinvest in the foreign countries at the moment but that only minor few.

Properties marketinvestment in Thailand isn’t as good as it used to be. Strategically Thailandis too far for foreign to buy a holiday home. Even though we still have quitecheap labor the price of building material have gone up with 25% margin to bemade it doesn’t look very attractive. The property price in Thailand is pricing formostly foreigner with economy crisis of today it would be very hard to find abuyer. With the Thai law it even makes it more difficult to buy. So do youstill thinking that we have more foreign investment! I for one won’t invest mymoney in Thailand at the moment especially with government not stable and eachtime the government change to policy change with them.

May I ask you acouple of personal question about you! Are you Thai? Do you live in Thailand atthe moment?

The laptop budget may be better spent on giving each school a good library.

Didn't I say something similar to this? ... oh wait .. maybe I read it SIX years ago! Stupid idea then .. stupid idea now!

One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Thailand Update: Students Show No School Improvement

Do you remember back in 2006, when OLPC Thailand was to buy a million XO laptops? After Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was ousted, that plan was abandoned, but not after Thailand received around 500 XO-1 laptops, some even early Beta machines. According to Nsevers, there were at least 5 pilot XO deployment sites.

The One Laptop Per Child project begun in 2006 has turned out as badly as most said it would, including the many millions of baht spent on buying the toy-like portable computers involved. A study from Chiang Mai University's engineering faculty confirmed that students issued the cute little machines failed to improve their school performances as OLPC advocates insisted would happen.

Continues:

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/thailand/olpc_thailand_update_xo_studen.html

OLPC News - Feb. 14, 2011

Edited by Buchholz

Jdinasia wrote "You didn't answer either points. I think there is

currently MORE investment in Thailand by foreigners and foreign companies than

before, but I have not looked through all the statistics to be able to prove it.

(which is why I am not making absolutes)

Thaksin only changed

laws to benefit himself (his companies) and did not change or even try to change

the standards for corporate ownership past that.

The Baht is strong.

True. The thought that the baht will strengthen more against foreign currency

would encourage foreign investment. With the USD weakening even more, the

current trend in the US is to invest overseas in places where the currency is

strengthening. The current government is not at fault for the weakening of other

currencies. The Aussie $ is strengthening

significantly."

Yes, you areright that strong currency should bring more investment but that only in theBanking sector only. As for otherinvestment Thai baht is too expensive for exchange rate. The important factorfor foreign investment is stable currency, Strong GDP, and stable government. Themargin between 5baht and 10baht at the lowest could make a lot of differenceswhen it comes to exchange the currency. Of course it's good for Thai baht toinvest in the foreign countries at the moment but that only minor few.

Properties marketinvestment in Thailand isn't as good as it used to be. Strategically Thailandis too far for foreign to buy a holiday home. Even though we still have quitecheap labor the price of building material have gone up with 25% margin to bemade it doesn't look very attractive. The property price in Thailand is pricing formostly foreigner with economy crisis of today it would be very hard to find abuyer. With the Thai law it even makes it more difficult to buy. So do youstill thinking that we have more foreign investment! I for one won't invest mymoney in Thailand at the moment especially with government not stable and eachtime the government change to policy change with them.

May I ask you acouple of personal question about you! Are you Thai? Do you live in Thailand atthe moment?

You are missing the point about foreign investment (and by far it is NOT just in the banking sector!). If other currencies are weakening people invest outside of their countries in markets where the currency is strengthening. If you take $100 USD today and invest in a Thai business that pays a dividend of 5-6% --- AND your currency further devalues, then when you get your Baht back and convert back into USD (if you ever do that) you get the increase of the dividend AND the increase in the currency. The same would be said if you bought into the bond market (like PTT/AR's bond offer a couple of years back- I bought) or even government bonds.

Buying condos, I guess is foreign investment .. but it is minimal. There are a few people on here that will tell you that they are getting a decent yield on condos and houses, but honestly I have seen some of those same people crying that they have had to reduce rent by 20% to just pay the mortgage, meaning they are getting 0 ROI. Buying houses/land is just silly of you are a foreigner in Thailand imho. The cost of building in Thailand should you choose to go that route is STILL far cheaper than in most (if not all) Western countries.

Your examples are based upon why you would not BUY something in Thailand ... they are not examples of why foreign investment would go down. Most foreign investment is not in the marketplace for living/retiring in Thailand. It is simply here for wealth generation.

New companies are cropping up all the time, so much so that the government is thinking about cutting back on BOI benefits (no taxes for a time/ reduced taxes for a time/ increased depreciation/ etc etc). If you wanted to create a business in the West, versus creating one here, with lower taxes for a significant period of time, and a much lower labor cost etc etc ... where would you pick?

You never did answer the 2 points raised in my first reply.

I am not Thai, I live and work as a company director in Thailand.

One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Thailand Update: Students Show No School Improvement

Do you remember back in 2006, when OLPC Thailand was to buy a million XO laptops? After Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was ousted, that plan was abandoned, but not after Thailand received around 500 XO-1 laptops, some even early Beta machines. According to Nsevers, there were at least 5 pilot XO deployment sites.

The One Laptop Per Child project begun in 2006 has turned out as badly as most said it would, including the many millions of baht spent on buying the toy-like portable computers involved. A study from Chiang Mai University's engineering faculty confirmed that students issued the cute little machines failed to improve their school performances as OLPC advocates insisted would happen.

Continues:

http://www.olpcnews...._xo_studen.html

OLPC News - Feb. 14, 2011

Interesting the article goes on to explain that the computers were not advanced enough for what was required 'crippled' is the word used....goes to show the children were intelligent enough to utilise them.

And also finishes up stating the teaching system is not good enough and needs improvement. I guess limiting the impact of using the computers

So what have we learnt....spec the computers correctly.........change to a more IT friendly teaching system and there is a chance of improvement.......

Interesting also a comment that the 'crippled' computers were usable because most children had a computer at home.....

This Pre Election Bribary/Promise,is about as good as Magabe of Zimbabwe,gave to his people, a few years ago: A free House and Car!

On the other hand,if he could get his assumed next Government to pay for them,

and then do a deal with his Chinese Manufacturing People,there could be a nice Fat Rake Off for him.

Pardon me for being so cynicle,I guess I've started thinking like him!

Edited by MAJIC

This Pre Election Bribary/Promise,is about as good as Magabe of Zimbabwe,gave to his people a few years ago:A free House and Car!

A few Caucasian refugees told me it was 'someone's house and car!' :ermm:

This Pre Election Bribary/Promise,is about as good as Magabe of Zimbabwe,gave to his people a few years ago:A free House and Car!

Nah, this one is just stupid. Mugabe's lie was ... evil?

"Pheu Thai expects .....that every student can gain access to e-books, he said."

Kids have gotta learning to read first dumbass!

Seriously nice gimmick, schools are in desperate need of teachers and basic facilities, not tablets <deleted>

Probably the only worthwhile comment of this whole thread....

Interesting the article goes on to explain that the computers were not advanced enough for what was required 'crippled' is the word used....goes to show the children were intelligent enough to utilise them.

And also finishes up stating the teaching system is not good enough and needs improvement. I guess limiting the impact of using the computers

So what have we learnt....spec the computers correctly.........change to a more IT friendly teaching system and there is a chance of improvement.......

Interesting also a comment that the 'crippled' computers were usable because most children had a computer at home.....

But there is no talk of changing the teaching system - only giving away computers. So it will be the same problem as in 2005/2006.

If they spent the money on improving the teaching system, they wouldn't really need to spend the money on the computers. That would be a good addition, but the problem is the teaching, not just the access to the computers.

When hating someone like Thaksin, you say negative things though what's he offers are good offers.

He is not just talking, he did it before like charging 30 baht in hospitals. People got helped more or less, didn't u see?

Oops. I thought it was so obvious that EVERYONE would see the sarcasm in it. :ph34r:

I didn't.

But I imagine many would think you an instant kindred spirit...

like a Pi Krasu.

But there is no talk of changing the teaching system - only giving away computers. So it will be the same problem as in 2005/2006.

If they spent the money on improving the teaching system, they wouldn't really need to spend the money on the computers. That would be a good addition, but the problem is the teaching, not just the access to the computers.

I agree, If the teaching system requires an overhaul, and the historical evidence shows change is not readily implimented, maybe a catalyst is required.

Perhaps the introdution of individual computers can be used as the driver for change? But first you have the difficult task of obtaining the buy in from the officials a who are in a position to impliment the changes required, and subsequently the teachers themselves, No easy task, but as you say this does not stop the introduction of personal computers being a good addition.

I agree, If the teaching system requires an overhaul, and the historical evidence shows change is not readily implimented, maybe a catalyst is required.

Perhaps the introdution of individual computers can be used as the driver for change? But first you have the difficult task of obtaining the buy in from the officials a who are in a position to impliment the changes required, and subsequently the teachers themselves, No easy task, but as you say this does not stop the introduction of personal computers being a good addition.

I don't see that computers would be a catalyst. The teaching system needs to work to be able to use the tools available, including computers.

The information is available. But the system isn't teaching it to the children. Computers just gives a different avenue to the information. But the system still won't be able to teach it to the children.

I don't see that computers would be a catalyst. The teaching system needs to work to be able to use the tools available, including computers.

The information is available. But the system isn't teaching it to the children. Computers just gives a different avenue to the information. But the system still won't be able to teach it to the children.

I am trying to look at this from the point of view that if the change in teaching methodology was introduced by way of incorporating computers further into the curriculum, then it may be more readily acceptable to the teachers. You can't impliment such a radical change without buy in and compliance. Often the major stumbling block in these situations is the uncertanty and reluctance to change in the very people you are expecting to carry out the task.

Don't be so negative, everyone.

With the standard of teaching in most Thai schools being under the zero line, it will enable the few kids who want to, to learn. The rest can play computer games, look up their local yaa-baa dealer or contribute to ThaiVisa.

And don't forget, the Internet will still be censored from servers in Thailand. By the same government. Where, of course, every civil servant is skilled and capable of understanding what is good and not good for them. .....Err I mean For the people.

And let's remember that when thaksin was in power there was no intimidation of newspapers and no intimidation of journalists and no foreign reporters were ever abused and called "idiot scum' in public by the paymaster, and no foreign reporters were ever deported for asking the paymaster tough questions and the state media was never intimidated, and the state media was never used as a mouthpiece to sanitize and rewrite the nasty activities of the paymasters mob.

And where exactly is the difference between giving one million students a new tablet, and a bribe? Every student in Thailand will try to influence the votes of their friends and families because of a TABLET, not because of their political opinion. I don't care what anyone thinks that is, but for me that's clearly a bribe. Are we now going to see the Thai students on the streets rallying for the red shirts instead of the taxi drivers?

:hit-the-fan:This is just wrong! ... but maybe they put at least a Thai - English learning software on it.... that would better many things in the land of the smile.

The whole of politics is a bribe, all politicians offer people what they want, in order to get the vote. Lower Taxes, More Law and order, better education, they are all incentives to vote for me. Name me 3 honest straight truthful politicians anywhere in the World in any age of history. I can think of just 2

It works a whole better when the positions are reversed.

cartbeforethehorse.jpg

If the tens of billions are spent on knock-offs that break in 3 months, what's left for curriculum change?

The current government, btw, is making an effort to change teaching focus to one that moves away from rote learning.

Edited by Buchholz

cartbeforethehorse.jpg

If the tens of billions are spent on knock-offs that break in 3 months, what's left for curriculum change?

The current government, btw, is making an effort to change teaching focus to one that moves away from rote learning.

I'm pleased the government is making efforts to move away from rote learning..........

By the way.......we have moved on to motorised carriages now........it's a result of innovation.......course many said it couldn't happen at the time!

Edited by 473geo

SORRY but I dont understand the Taksin HATERS here....I really dont !!! hope they understand themselfs and Thai Politics

That's because you weren't here when Thaksin* was running the place. If you were, you'd hate him too.

WHAT A BULL....t maybe you will enlighten me what was different for YOU when Taksin ruled the country??? I am living since 12 years in LoS, not much change,

except more and more traffic lights for more and more stupid <deleted> on the roads...not only ThaiRambos, there are a lot of Farangs here too drive like there

is no tomorrow....

Not only the colour of the people wich fill their pockets changed....its still YELLOW

WHAT A BULL....t maybe you will enlighten me what was different for YOU when Taksin ruled the country??? I am living since 12 years in LoS, not much change,

except more and more traffic lights for more and more stupid <deleted> on the roads...not only ThaiRambos, there are a lot of Farangs here too drive like there

is no tomorrow....

Not only the colour of the people wich fill their pockets changed....its still YELLOW

Taksin ruled the country from 1734 - 1782. I don't think there were many traffic lights around then.

Thaksin, on the other hand, promised to fix Bangkok's traffic problems in 6 months. He seems to promise to do a lot of things "in 6 months".

cartbeforethehorse.jpg

I'm pleased the government is making efforts to move away from rote learning..........

By the way.......we have moved on to motorised carriages now........it's a result of innovation.......course many said it couldn't happen at the time!

And Thaksin made sure his party bought into his Buggy Whip Consession as a sign of loyalty.