Pheu Thai Party Offers Tablets To Thai Students

webfact

]

Good points apart from "allows larger classes" If the classes were any larger, you'd have to knock two classrooms into one!

I do have some doubts : it is easier searching the internet for the answer, easier copying and pasting from the internet, easier to get things done without having to think things through etc.

You are right, that PCs or tablet PCs can be useful tools in the classroom. However, for learning a foreign language, I think there is no substitute for learning face to face with someone who can speak the language fluently.

anybody who suffered..... amo... amas.... amant.....will appreciate how uninteresting rote learning can be....IT can enhace and retain interest, it can allow a quick recap, it can allow a child to catch up at home if ill.

The teachers will require additional training because the main lesson regarding IT will be that one cannot take everything at face value, yes children will need to be taught a questioning nature, and not to 'copy and paste' life choices of another.......but if the teacher has the time, made available by the self learning of the more mundane tasks, made interesting by computer technology......well they carry an important position indeed in the 'lifestyle' education of the children......

Knocking the classrooms into one would create work for the less attentive children who have made a career choice and prefer a less stressful employment.....:) .

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would happen if a student loses (unintentionally or intentionally (e.g. sold)) his free tablet computer? The parents may not be able to afford to pay for a replacement. Would the government have to pay for a replacement so that the student can participate in classroom activities that require the computer? Or would insurance pay... then insurance would need to be purchased for every tablet computer, which would raise the cost and would be another opportunity for graft.

Absolutely right about that.

Let's re-visit Apple Store (Thailand) to add onto our original ฿ 16,900.00

iPad AppleCare Protection Plan

Extend your technical support and hardware coverage for two years from the original purchase date of your iPad with the AppleCare Protection Plan. You get direct access to Apple’s own experts for questions and advice about using your iPad. And you get repair or replacement service — including parts and labor — on your iPad, its battery, and included accessories. (For further details, read terms and conditions).

Just ฿ 2,800.00 — Simply add the AppleCare Protection Plan to your order after selecting your iPad.

oh yes, and multiply by 8 million.

What would happen if a student loses (unintentionally or intentionally (e.g. sold)) his free tablet computer? The parents may not be able to afford to pay for a replacement. Would the government have to pay for a replacement so that the student can participate in classroom activities that require the computer? Or would insurance pay... then insurance would need to be purchased for every tablet computer, which would raise the cost and would be another opportunity for graft.

Extend your technical support and hardware coverage for two years from the original purchase date of your iPad with the AppleCare Protection Plan. You get direct access to Apple's own experts for questions and advice about using your iPad. And you get repair or replacement service including parts and labor on your iPad, its battery, and included accessories. (For further details, read terms and conditions).

Just ฿ 2,800.00 Simply add the AppleCare Protection Plan to your order after selecting your iPad.

I repeat my earlier solution for the less attentive.......the value of having computer copy and paste.....much less frustrating for the teacher......:)

"Most Thai children I know take savings to school every week, they could be asked for a deposit which would cover insurance? the deposit returned if the equipment is returned

Of course I am using my local education village school as an example....."

Edit: strange how some automatically look for solutions and others continually serve up problems

Edited by 473geo

If it's free then keep taking the tablets but don't expect things to get better.

Living up country I tend to see the real abject poverty that some of these kids are condemned to. Hovels for homes. Those tin shacks you've seen that maybe housed cows, or so you thought, actually don't. That's the main dwelling and yes it'll have electric if not to far from the road, but it's a hole in the ground toilet and a rain water supply that's mosquito infested. There may well be a TV but there the creature comforts end.

A house without furniture save roll out bedding, a single fan [perhaps] and a woodedn platform they sit outside on. That is the average lot of the Thai impoverished farmer and the children borne into this poverty are neglected by state year on year.

And in the same week as Khunplerm, the ex- Minister of Sport under Thaksin and son of the legendary mafia gangster muderous father, calls all political parties the same, whilst announcing his formation of yet another political party, the opposition party in all its combined wisdom thinks that providing the rural poor with a tablet will cure all.

There is no hope. There never was.

Next.

Most Thai children I know take savings to school every week, they could be asked for a deposit which would cover insurance? the deposit returned if the equipment is returned

Then the tablet computer won't actually be free for the student. The poor student will be burdened by "insurance" payments for the computer. Some families won't want to pay (or don't have the money). How much do they bring anyway, and is it actually high enough to cover replacement of a tablet computer in case of loss some time in the future?

It also reminds me of a particular news story about students' savings being stolen from a school.

Edited by hyperdimension

If it's free then keep taking the tablets but don't expect things to get better.

Living up country I tend to see the real abject poverty that some of these kids are condemned to. Hovels for homes. Those tin shacks you've seen that maybe housed cows, or so you thought, actually don't. That's the main dwelling and yes it'll have electric if not to far from the road, but it's a hole in the ground toilet and a rain water supply that's mosquito infested. There may well be a TV but there the creature comforts end.

A house without furniture save roll out bedding, a single fan [perhaps] and a woodedn platform they sit outside on. That is the average lot of the Thai impoverished farmer and the children borne into this poverty are neglected by state year on year.

And in the same week as Khunplerm, the ex- Minister of Sport under Thaksin and son of the legendary mafia gangster muderous father, calls all political parties the same, whilst announcing his formation of yet another political party, the opposition party in all its combined wisdom thinks that providing the rural poor with a tablet will cure all.

There is no hope. There never was.

Next.

Then in some areas it may be better to keep the tablets in the school........there are always solutions......you just have to be capable of a little imaginative lateral thinking......and the Thai are well capable of this.......Also maybe this is a good way of attracting children to schools who do not currently attend......

Most Thai children I know take savings to school every week, they could be asked for a deposit which would cover insurance? the deposit returned if the equipment is returned

Then the tablet computer won't actually be free for the student. The poor student will be burdened by "insurance" payments for the computer. Some families won't want to pay (or don't have the money). How much do they bring anyway, and is it actually high enough to cover replacement of a tablet computer in case of loss some time in the future?

It also reminds me of a particular news story about students' savings being stolen from a school.

If the deposit is returned it is free..........

Yes students savings may have been stolen........now perhaps you would provide the information as to how many schools have successful savings schemes for students........as you so readily offer up the alternative one off news story.....

Extend your technical support and hardware coverage for two years from the original purchase date of your iPad with the AppleCare Protection Plan. You get direct access to Apple's own experts for questions and advice about using your iPad. And you get repair or replacement service — including parts and labor — on your iPad, its battery, and included accessories. (For further details, read terms and conditions).

Just ฿ 2,800.00 — Simply add the AppleCare Protection Plan to your order after selecting your iPad.

I repeat my earlier solution for the less attentive.......the value of having computer copy and paste.....much less frustrating for the teacher......:)

"Most Thai children I know take savings to school every week, they could be asked for a deposit which would cover insurance? the deposit returned if the equipment is returned

Edit: strange how some automatically look for solutions and others continually serve up problems

Not inattentive... more a matter of dismissive. "Serving up problems" is what normally should occur when evaluating new programs for viability. It becomes increasingly important in programs that were dreamed up last week.

Most Thai children I know take 5 baht to school every day.

That's gonna take a lot of "ha bahts" to cover insurance. That and they'll be sacrificing any sort of after-school nourishment that the 5 baht goes towards (albeit its usually crap nutritional-wise).

The overwhelming majority of the 8 million students don't have the sort of disposable income necessary to make a significant contribution towards expenses that cost thousands.

Seriously tho' I am appalled by the state of education in Thailand, especially primary education. It is affordable enough that's why they should not be handing them out to kids. They should make material available in an electronic formats as well as being more imaginative when design course materials so they can accessible by tablets as well as computers. I am sure those are not knock off tablets there are plenty of tablets that fit with that price range.

Extend your technical support and hardware coverage for two years from the original purchase date of your iPad with the AppleCare Protection Plan. You get direct access to Apple’s own experts for questions and advice about using your iPad. And you get repair or replacement service — including parts and labor — on your iPad, its battery, and included accessories. (For further details, read terms and conditions).

Why do you keep using the Apple price lists. At no point did they say these would be Apple tablets.

Look on alibaba and you'll see the sort of tablets they're talking about.

A last-gen mobile phone processor,

Insufficient memory (the lowest memory on an ipad is 16Gb. These tend to be 1-4Gb),

Android (which is fine, but probably not the latest version as the processor is too slow),

A resistive touch screen (which will, if they're writing reports on it, give the kids blisters on their typing finger. After all, you can't touch type on a tablet...)

Extend your technical support and hardware coverage for two years from the original purchase date of your iPad with the AppleCare Protection Plan. You get direct access to Apple's own experts for questions and advice about using your iPad. And you get repair or replacement service — including parts and labor — on your iPad, its battery, and included accessories. (For further details, read terms and conditions).

Not inattentive... more a matter of dismissive. "Serving up problems" is what normally should occur when evaluating new programs for viability. It becomes increasingly important in programs that were dreamed up last week.

That's gonna take a lot of "ha bahts" to cover insurance. That and they'll be sacrificing any sort of after-school nourishment that the 5 baht goes towards (albeit its usually crap nutritional-wise).

The overwhelming majority of the 8 million students don't have the sort of disposable income necessary to make a significant contribution towards expenses that cost thousands.

Apparently you are also dismissive of the Thai community spirit that raises money for schools, you also are speculating as to the disposable income, all to suit your political standing., I say functioning IT could be delivered with the correct government support..........you and others wish to condemn the suggestion to failure because of the source......

Your agenda is to oppose and rubbish the suggestion............therefore your evaluation is flawed......you will attempt to dismiss and criticise any suggestion that IT enhancement in schools is achievable in Thailand.......that is not evaluation that is blind ignorance......but of course you are welcome to dismiss any post that does not suit your requirements......

Hence I will not expect a reply......:)

Simply vote buying in another guise. The concept would be good if only Thailand had sufficient numbers of I.T literate Teachers and an education standard to International levels.

Thailand with its Nationalist pride is many years away from that point and will achieve very little without foreign assistance.

As usual it's Thaksin up to his usual tricks. He would of course wish to broker the deal personally as he did over the arrangement in supplying the Thai Police some years ago.

Why do you keep using the Apple price lists. At no point did they say these would be Apple tablets.

This is a Thaksin idea. It'll evolve into the top of the line.

In reality, it wouldn't be a bad choice if he did because if they do end up with...

Chinese knock-offs, it'll run into even more money when they conk out in 3 months.

"Pheu Thai expects .....that every student can gain access to e-books, he said."

Kids have gotta learning to read first dumbass!

Seriously nice gimmick, schools are in desperate need of teachers and basic facilities, not tablets <deleted>

If they came through with the tablets they would be an invaluable learning tool. What can of suds have you been marinating your mind in for the past 20 years???

Apparently you are also dismissive of the Thai community spirit that raises money for schools, you also are speculating as to the disposable income, all to suit your political standing.

hahaha... by dismissing your unrealistic suggestions does not equate to being dismissive of Thai community spirit. I'm well aware of that spirit and the money that is raised for schools, I'm also aware of its limitations when discussing, for example my old school, the sort of finances necessary to provide support for 4,000 units.

It's not a political standing so much as it standing firmly in reality.

I say functioning IT could be delivered with the correct government support..........you and others wish to condemn the suggestion to failure because of the source......

Having been acquainted with what is involved in initiating a 1:1 Laptop Program (that's a good good search for anyone interested) at a well-to-do international school with vast resources and literally incomparable to a typical government school, this notion of 8 million units is ridiculous, irregardless of its source.

Your agenda is to oppose and rubbish the suggestion............therefore your evaluation is flawed......you will attempt to dismiss and criticise any suggestion that IT enhancement in schools is achievable in Thailand......

It is achievable, within certain parameters. It's begun at a few international schools in Thailand. Unfortunately for the 8 million Thai students, they are world's apart in the government school's ability to replicate those conditions.

There's a reason why there have been a laundry-list of shortcomings posted from a plethora of posters over this rehash of a failed program. It's because it has more flaws than a cheap CZ ring.

I'll ignore your other personally inflammatory retorts.

Edited by Buchholz

Simply vote buying in another guise. The concept would be good if only Thailand had sufficient numbers of I.T literate Teachers and an education standard to International levels.

Thailand with its Nationalist pride is many years away from that point and will achieve very little without foreign assistance.

As usual it's Thaksin up to his usual tricks. He would of course wish to broker the deal personally as he did over the arrangement in supplying the Thai Police some years ago.

Well at least you embrace the concept......if this announcement does any good at all, it may initiate progress that may gain momentum.....we have had a brief discussion stage left of the 'political' stage.....and there are those who see there is opportunity to push the IT highway development in universities and schools.....nobody is saying it will be easy....but the benefits are undeniable

Regardless of the fact that the current suggestion is a vote catcher.....

Apparently you are also dismissive of the Thai community spirit that raises money for schools, you also are speculating as to the disposable income, all to suit your political standing., I say functioning IT could be delivered with the correct government support..........you and others wish to condemn the suggestion to failure because of the source......

Your agenda is to oppose and rubbish the suggestion............therefore your evaluation is flawed......you will attempt to dismiss and criticise any suggestion that IT enhancement in schools is achievable in Thailand.......that is not evaluation that is blind ignorance......but of course you are welcome to dismiss any post that does not suit your requirements......

:) Having visited many Thai schools across the country it is clear that not only is the basic premise so flawed that it can only lead to waste (with the added advantage of corruption!)

IT enhancement at schools SHOULD and CAN be done, but a notebook or a piece of trash knock-off tablet is honestly idiotic. Creating computer labs to not only teach HOW to work with technology, but also to expand critical thinking abilities and teaching resources is a good idea. Most schools have some computers but at many of the schools only a few are functional. A "tablet" or notebook as a populist giveaway adds so many issues that it would create significant problems and solve none.

1) How do you import data/programs?

2) How do you restrict usage to things that help educate? (no porn, no games, no facebook)

3) What happens when they "disappear"?

4) Who manages tech-support?

5) How do you handle classroom management issues?

6) If an assignment is delivered to the tablet but only 50% have them or have one in working order ........?

Answer?

Each school gets new computer labs. Each computer in the lab is slaved to the school's server. Each school has a Sys-admin to maintain the system. What this represents is good for education in Thailand and is not a hare-brained populist handout.

Could be a good money making scheme e.g. THB 1,000 on top of every tablet for say 5 million students = 5 billion. Student numbers are probably much higher. Anyway netbooks would be a much better option as a brand name one would be pretty much in the same price range when buying in bulk.

I wonder if the posters on here ever read anything properly. Quote, he said; "every primary school student would be given a tablet computer free of charge."

Please note it says "primary school" that is obviously not every student by definition and I wonder what will happen to a large number of them if this proposed idea ever flies. Can't see how this is going to influence the voting pattern too much either. There is also no mention of operating system/software without which they will be virtually useless as the firmware will not be capable of very much. Undoubtedly the the politician who may pick up the job of sourcing them will probably be seduced by the offer/price of an OEM version not realising exactly what that entails. However, I won't hold my breath!

Answer?

Each school gets new computer labs. Each computer in the lab is slaved to the school's server. Each school has a Sys-admin to maintain the system. What this represents is good for education in Thailand and is not a hare-brained populist handout.

Which is exactly where the international schools that implemented 1:1 Laptop programs evolved from.

This laughable idea wishes to leap frog past that stage that took years and years and lots of money and experimentation to achieve and jump into a situation where they are at the same stage.

:) Having visited many Thai schools across the country it is clear that not only is the basic premise so flawed that it can only lead to waste (with the added advantage of corruption!)

IT enhancement at schools SHOULD and CAN be done, but a notebook or a piece of trash knock-off tablet is honestly idiotic. Creating computer labs to not only teach HOW to work with technology, but also to expand critical thinking abilities and teaching resources is a good idea. Most schools have some computers but at many of the schools only a few are functional. A "tablet" or notebook as a populist giveaway adds so many issues that it would create significant problems and solve none.

1) How do you import data/programs?

2) How do you restrict usage to things that help educate? (no porn, no games, no facebook)

3) What happens when they "disappear"?

4) Who manages tech-support?

5) How do you handle classroom management issues?

6) If an assignment is delivered to the tablet but only 50% have them or have one in working order ........?

Answer?

Why not link the tablets to a central educational relational database with coded access.........perhaps by way of encouragement for the children internet access out of school hours limited by prohibiting access to certain site, easy to achieve.

I am not saying your more conformist solution is not applicable in this case than the tablets......my aim is nothing more than to use this anouncement to highlight that there is room for a major over haul........which I believe is possible......and.....I would be pleased to see a well constructed response by the government that would let the Thai people know that this agenda is high on their list of priorities.....

Edited by 473geo

Just to add if the high speed rail link goes ahead and high speed land based communication lines are laid alongside this could create a massive enhancement to the Thai communications infastructure

Edited by 473geo

You are going to "link" a 3000 baht tablet to anything? Sorry, but IT probably is not probably one of your strongest areas! Net-nanny etc to control access outside of class? Again, easily defeated.

That you didn't address the more significant areas ... loss ... damage ... (remember PTP is talking about putting each of these in the hands of 6y/o's-12y/o's!) .... down-time .... tech-support .... getting assignments into them and retrieving assignments from them etc etc etc etc etc ...

The idea in and of itself is pathetic and the only benefits I see is populist and graft oriented and nothing for education. "Look! Thaksin have my 6 year old a computer! it doesn't work but HE GAVE it to us!"

Just to add if the high speed rail link goes ahead and high speed land based communication lines are laid alongside this could create a massive enhancement to the Thai communications infastructure

HUH?

You are going to "link" a 3000 baht tablet to anything? Sorry, but IT probably is not probably one of your strongest areas! Net-nanny etc to control access outside of class? Again, easily defeated.

That you didn't address the more significant areas ... loss ... damage ... (remember PTP is talking about putting each of these in the hands of 6y/o's-12y/o's!) .... down-time .... tech-support .... getting assignments into them and retrieving assignments from them etc etc etc etc etc ...

The idea in and of itself is pathetic and the only benefits I see is populist and graft oriented and nothing for education. "Look! Thaksin have my 6 year old a computer! it doesn't work but HE GAVE it to us!"

My understanding is if you can access the internet you can access a relational database........you know the types used by police,major banks, goverments.....all very difficult to access I'm sure......

Your other concerns I addressed earlier.......but am becoming accustomed to my posts being dismissed so no worries....:)

Please note it says "primary school" that is obviously not every student by definition

After also adding the number of primary school teachers, the number is around 6M.

Primary school students are still children, so you can imagine how many tablet computers are going to be damaged each day due to dropping. Children sometimes break things when playing. They may also be careless in protecting things from theft, as usually they don't carry around valuable things. This can also lead to the issue of childrens' safety, as they may be targeted.

I support the introduction of new technology into education, however there needs to be more planning and research instead of just coming up with an idea one day then announcing it to the entire country.

Edited by hyperdimension

My understanding is if you can access the internet you can access a relational database........you know the types used by police,major banks, goverments.....all very difficult to access I'm sure......

Your other concerns I addressed earlier.......but am becoming accustomed to my posts being dismissed so no worries....:)

Right ......... you want a 3000 baht tablet used by a 6 year old to manage encrypted databases but not have access to porn :)

Give it up JD.....:)

I try not to talk too much about my BF of 8+ years on here, but he's the IT security director for a major bank in Thailand. He's had a good laugh at this idea floated by PTP to show the largesse of Thaksin :)