California couple pleads guilty in kidnapping, rape case

News_Editor

California couple pleads guilty in kidnapping, rape case

2011-04-29 07:51:47 GMT+7 (ICT)

PLACERVILLE, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- A California couple on Thursday pleaded guilty of kidnapping and raping a girl, KCRA Sacramento news reported.

Phillip and Nancy Garrido could be sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty. They were accused of kidnapping 11-year-old Jaycee Dugard in 1991 and raping her. Dugard, who was held captive for 18 years, even gave birth to two children.

"I'm relieved that Phillip and Nancy Garrido have finally acknowledged their guilt and confessed to their crimes against me and my family," Dugard, now 30, said in a prepared statement.

Phillip Garrido pleaded guilty to kidnapping and sexual assault counts, and he will be sentenced to a maximum possible sentence of 431 years to life in prison. He has waived his right to appeal.

Meanwhile, Nancy Garrido pleaded guilty to kidnapping and one count of rape by force. She will be sentenced to the negotiated disposition of 36 years-to-life in prison and has also waived her right to appeal.

El Dorado County District Attorney Vern Pierson said he was relieved to not have to take this case to trial. Thanks to the plea deals Duggard will not have to testify in a trial.

Both Garridos are set to be sentenced on June 2.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-29